Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Drop Rates

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 20, 2014
I am really curious as to what factors can actually affect drop rates for an item. I understand that KI is usually a little tight lipped about this because the chance element is part of the fun, but I am really worried about going out of my way to trying things that don't work.

Do all players in a battle have the same chance of receiving a certain drop regardless or their position in the turn order or the amount of damage they actually deal to the enemies?

Are higher level wizards less likely to get lower level drops? Or are you less likely to get a drop if you already have it equipped? (I am farming Gladiator Dimachaerus right now for a second Alpha and Omega ring on my Lv 110 Storm and it seems to be taking way longer than the first time).

I would love an answer to these questions, especially the first one. Lots of people have little tricks they think make drops better. Though the scientist in me thinks it is just superstition, I also realize it might be possible that some of these things are built in to the game. I would love to know more.

Thanks,
Ben

Champion
Mar 28, 2010
Benjamin Mistmance... on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
I am really curious as to what factors can actually affect drop rates for an item. I understand that KI is usually a little tight lipped about this because the chance element is part of the fun, but I am really worried about going out of my way to trying things that don't work.

Do all players in a battle have the same chance of receiving a certain drop regardless or their position in the turn order or the amount of damage they actually deal to the enemies?

Are higher level wizards less likely to get lower level drops? Or are you less likely to get a drop if you already have it equipped? (I am farming Gladiator Dimachaerus right now for a second Alpha and Omega ring on my Lv 110 Storm and it seems to be taking way longer than the first time).

I would love an answer to these questions, especially the first one. Lots of people have little tricks they think make drops better. Though the scientist in me thinks it is just superstition, I also realize it might be possible that some of these things are built in to the game. I would love to know more.

Thanks,
Ben
Drop rates are completely random according to multiple posts by Lydia Greyrose. The only thing that really affects them is being present for the boss's death and not fleeing. Darkmoor malistaire has this opportunity for drops twice, so you will always get 1 thing even if you flee during his shadow form and you will get 2 for not fleeing at all. I've had troubles with drop rates before and Gladiator Dimachaerus has given me 5 alpha rings total, 3 of them being really easy drops and 2 of them being rather difficult to obtain. As well, my wizards have a varying range of darkmoor attempts to get their gear starting with my who took 13 runs to get 3 pieces, my l who took 7 runs to get 3 pieces, my who took 20 runs to get 4 pieces and my who took 4 runs to get 3 pieces. Pretty random results that just proves how random Wizard101 drop rates can be sometimes.

Lvl 110
Lvl 70
Lvl 25

Survivor
Jun 20, 2014
Adam Wintersinger on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
Drop rates are completely random according to multiple posts by Lydia Greyrose. The only thing that really affects them is being present for the boss's death and not fleeing. Darkmoor malistaire has this opportunity for drops twice, so you will always get 1 thing even if you flee during his shadow form and you will get 2 for not fleeing at all. I've had troubles with drop rates before and Gladiator Dimachaerus has given me 5 alpha rings total, 3 of them being really easy drops and 2 of them being rather difficult to obtain. As well, my wizards have a varying range of darkmoor attempts to get their gear starting with my who took 13 runs to get 3 pieces, my l who took 7 runs to get 3 pieces, my who took 20 runs to get 4 pieces and my who took 4 runs to get 3 pieces. Pretty random results that just proves how random Wizard101 drop rates can be sometimes.

Lvl 110
Lvl 70
Lvl 25
When you say "not fleeing" what exactly do you mean by that? I have heard people say that fleeing during a battle and then coming back decreases your chances of good drops. Is that true?

Is there anyway you, or someone else could point me towards those posts you mentioned by Prof. Greyrose? I would love to be able to read her take directly.

As far as the Gladiator goes, over the last few days I have spent probably around 16 hours total fighting him and have gotten nothing. I have divided that time pretty evenly between my lv 110 & as well as on my lv 90 . The first two already have the ring, and the third is the character that I actually want to use the ring on. I was trying to see if maybe it might be easier to get on a lower level wizard who didn't already have it, but no luck there so far.

Thanks!

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
Benjamin Mistmance... on Apr 1, 2016 wrote:
When you say "not fleeing" what exactly do you mean by that? I have heard people say that fleeing during a battle and then coming back decreases your chances of good drops. Is that true?

Is there anyway you, or someone else could point me towards those posts you mentioned by Prof. Greyrose? I would love to be able to read her take directly.

As far as the Gladiator goes, over the last few days I have spent probably around 16 hours total fighting him and have gotten nothing. I have divided that time pretty evenly between my lv 110 & as well as on my lv 90 . The first two already have the ring, and the third is the character that I actually want to use the ring on. I was trying to see if maybe it might be easier to get on a lower level wizard who didn't already have it, but no luck there so far.

Thanks!
Probably the easiest way to find posts in the forum is to use the search function. Use "by author" and "fleeing" in the word/phrase box to narrow it down to Greyrose's comments on the subject.

Administrator