Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

does the Absorb shield include your resist rating?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,

Before I run a few tests myself,

I Have been playing W101 for about a year now. I just started to use absorb shields, on my low level myth wizard. I have the Bronze Golem Pet.

My question is, If I put up an absorb shield and I get attacked, does my resist count towards the damage that the shield absorbs? If anyone knows please share.

Thank You,
Mark Griffinleaf L10 (PVP Warlord)

P.S. If I run tests I will post the results.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
if you mean that you have as a example

resistance 5%

absorb 400

damage: seraph 395

then with the resistance you alredy have, then the damage is lowerd, and the shield receives less damage.

400 - 395= 5
but with resistance:
395 - 5= 390 aprox
400 - 390= 10.

but thats just a example, shields, traps and blades also chip in, wich make more diferent resistances and damage. wich also make diferent comninations to try and break ( and sometime succed ) the absorbs you have, but if you pile up the absorbs, then that makes even MORE combinations of attack and resistance, plus the efects during the usage off the third triangle of magic () then it can be very, very complicated, there are even more factors, but i think i should just stop typing

but if you werent talking about that, then i have no idea

isaac goldheart lvl 23

Astrologist
Sep 19, 2013
lifedude2002 on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
if you mean that you have as a example

resistance 5%

absorb 400

damage: seraph 395

then with the resistance you alredy have, then the damage is lowerd, and the shield receives less damage.

400 - 395= 5
but with resistance:
395 - 5= 390 aprox
400 - 390= 10.

but thats just a example, shields, traps and blades also chip in, wich make more diferent resistances and damage. wich also make diferent comninations to try and break ( and sometime succed ) the absorbs you have, but if you pile up the absorbs, then that makes even MORE combinations of attack and resistance, plus the efects during the usage off the third triangle of magic () then it can be very, very complicated, there are even more factors, but i think i should just stop typing

but if you werent talking about that, then i have no idea

isaac goldheart lvl 23
A lot of incorrectness in that post...
No. Damage affects wards in the opposite order of casting (first in, last out). A damage spell will hit the absorb and do damage to it before hitting you and factoring in your resist.
Lifedude, resist is percentage based, not integer based, so 5% life resist against a seraph would be closer to -80 damage.

Delver
Jan 21, 2014
Robobot1747 on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
A lot of incorrectness in that post...
No. Damage affects wards in the opposite order of casting (first in, last out). A damage spell will hit the absorb and do damage to it before hitting you and factoring in your resist.
Lifedude, resist is percentage based, not integer based, so 5% life resist against a seraph would be closer to -80 damage.
ooooooo that makes sence, but i was saying the same thing in relation to blades, i alredy now that the attack hit the absorb FIRST not the player if it has a blade or not, but i didint know that the resist triggers if the absorb breakes X Sudden mind blow X thx for correcting me, and for clarifing the whole what does the resist actualy take, thank you! and i guess you just answerd the question :P

isaac goldheart lvl 23

Survivor
Feb 20, 2011
Ok..... how do I explain this?

Say you're fighting a boss and you're both storm

You use a Leviathon that does 1,000 damage exactly

The boss resists 70%

He also has an absorb that he just used the previous round, and still has 400 damage left on it

When you use the Leviathon, it will resist 70%, so the Leviathon will only do 300 damage. You use up 300 of the damage on the absorb, and it still has 100 left

Good luck, hope I helped
-Brittany Stormsword, level 89

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
ok,
Thank you all, but the explanations are scenarios way beyond what would help me.
However, I think Hyper Aura was more to then point.

Here, I have a warlord that resists 50%, if I put an absorb up, for 500.

the next attack at me will be 600. lets say no blades or traps. the opponent has no extra damage.
just a plain 600.

so will the absorb take just 300? (600x50%)

Or, will the damage hit the absorb for 600, be destroyed, then the remaining 100 will be towards me.
So, 100-50% I take 50

what will be the outcome? the absorb takes 300 or I take 50?

Please, I can figure out all other outcomes if I just know this answer.

Thank You,
Mark Griffinleaf L10 Warlord

Defender
Jun 28, 2013
OK,

So I did my tests, It seems that the absorb does NOT include your resist rating.

Here is my results,

I have exactly 53% resist. I put up my 500 absorb shield

I Used my balance wizard without any extra damage attack with judgment for 700 damage.

If the resist was included, then the absorb would still be there. However, it was destroyed.

I took 94 damage. From this, I concluded the following,

700 - absorb 500 = 200, then 200 - 53% =94. that's exactly what happened.

So, After all the posts, and my tests. I think I got to the bottom of this. I hope this helps others with the same question.

Mark Griffinleaf L10 Warlord