Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does Resist Matter In Pve?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 21, 2012
Hello! So i came across a person saying that my damage and resist was bad for a lvl138 Ice wizard and was quarreling with the player that resist matters and that my stats are fine.Currently my stats are:
Damage 88
Resist 45

My goal in a few days is to have my resist around 75-80 and my damage around 80.
That said and done,are my stats garbage(future stats)? My health is around 11k as well if that matters.I honestly dont think so,since im going for a tank build and can still do damage.

Any feedback is appreciated,also any wisdom for gear and such is appreciated as well!

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
It's not necessary to have perfect gear to get through PVE content, so it doesn't matter too much, but a good build makes everything easier and faster.

Optimal stats depend on your playing style and situation. Resist helps survival, but so does block and health, so balance those to your defensive needs. 45% is a bit lower than average for your level, but 11k health is going to keep you alive in most situations so I wouldn't miss sleep about it. You seem to be thinking reasonably & on the right track.

Damage boosts let you attack faster, so if you're hitting, you want to focus on that. In a team situation as a defensive/ buffing tank, damage doesn't matter, but if you are questing solo, you may want more aggressive gear. Don't hesitate to change things for different missions.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
Yes a good amount of resist is quite nice for PVE, is it required, well that depends if you solo or not. you won't need much resist in a group against a normal boss.

Where resist really shines is super bosses. long fights where the boss might be alive for 20 turns. So yes Resist in PVE is great to have for some fights. but you don't really need any against normal monsters.

Defender
Jan 16, 2010
To be honest, I don't have a character at your level, but I have played Ice characters, and i know from my own Ice wizard that Ice are built to be tanks. You have more health than any other class in the game so you can take the hits. Having a 45 resist is something my Fire wizard would love to have. I think your damage and resist look just fine. I mean, if you can get them higher without compromising your attack, i would definitely try, but I would make sure you have enough damage, crit, and crit block as well.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Resists is important, especially to ice in both PvE and PvP.

To be blunt, your stats definitely needs improvement. For such high level, you have stats of a level 60 or so wizard.

What is the gear set you have currently?

Try farming for you Dragoon Set [at least hat and shoes].

If you intend on going for a tank build, a ward pet will be helpful here as well. But remember that damage and resist now has a cap.

Delver
Jun 10, 2012
Your actual stats are correct but not bad your resist or damage are a bit weak thats true but that depends is you play full tank secondary hitter or aggressive ice

In first case your resist is too weak 60 resist is a minimum
On the other case try to get 90-95 dmg and at least 50 resist

Thats always helpful to have big residt stat in group cuz if your not the main hitter your roles can be to force enemies to focus you and support a hitter and in that case the fact you hit 90 dmg is not useful.

All depend of how you want to play with ice

Explorer
Mar 25, 2021
my pyromancer has half the health your ice has at level 125 and im at the same levels of resist, and am surviving just fine, your stats are good as they are right now, but of course improvements could be made if you wish to seek them out.

Defender
May 22, 2012
Wolf IceFist123 on May 24, 2021 wrote:
Hello! So i came across a person saying that my damage and resist was bad for a lvl138 Ice wizard and was quarreling with the player that resist matters and that my stats are fine.Currently my stats are:
Damage 88
Resist 45

My goal in a few days is to have my resist around 75-80 and my damage around 80.
That said and done,are my stats garbage(future stats)? My health is around 11k as well if that matters.I honestly dont think so,since im going for a tank build and can still do damage.

Any feedback is appreciated,also any wisdom for gear and such is appreciated as well!
With such high health as you have, it probably doesn't matter about having great resist.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
keep in mind with the right pet talents and gear you can get outright immunity to damage from a spell school. I managed to get 100% resistance to death at level 90 and when I am hit with a death spell(that doesn't have piercing applied) I take no damage, the word immune appears above my head instead of damage numbers. Though the trade off is that my damage is terrible when I am geared that way. Higher level players claimed that they were able to get immunity to three schools at once, though the most I ever saw was another player who was immune to life damage.