Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does open chat work, and if so, how?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Apr 24, 2009
Slickriptide wrote:
It's not entirely intuitive.

First, parental controls need to be off, unless you really are a parent and you're monitoring your kids. It just makes things easier.

Second, Filtered Chat needs to be set ON for your account. You see, there's no such thing as "open" chat. It's either filtered chat or menu chat.

Finally, you need to understand that menu-chat level users cannot interact with filtered-chat players. The fact that YOU are willing to see filtered chat, doesn't mean that someone in "hearing range" is willing or able to see it. If a listener is restricted to menu chat, then they will continue to see "..." whenever you type into filtered chat. To communicate with them, you'll need to use the menu chat.

You can tell who is restricted to menu chat, by the red circle with a slash next to their name. If it's there, they're menu-chat only. If not, then you can speak to them using filtered chat.

um, a bit wrong there.
open chat is real.
(its when you can say anything even numbers but still not cursing words)
if you want to know if you have open chat, look at the letters you type.
if they turn yellow, that means you have open chat. and only people with open chat can see what you said. BUT, if some of the words are white, the text chatters can still see them, but not the yellow words.
menu chatters cannot see any free chat, only menu chat

Survivor
Nov 13, 2010
Please read the top. It has the answers, it said there is no such thing as Open Chat. There's either menu chat, or filtured chat. It's simply to read a little.

Defender
May 30, 2009
Slickriptide wrote:

Second, Filtered Chat needs to be set ON for your account. You see, there's no such thing as "open" chat. It's either filtered chat or menu chat.

There is too such a thing as open chat :D On my account I think I had to turn on filtered, menu, and open chat.

Survivor
Jul 09, 2009
Gamma wrote:
The answer you seek, young Wizard, can be found on the website under Help & Support - Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.wizard101.com/game/faq

Subscribed Accounts verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101 can enable Open Chat through Account Management and Parental Controls.

Why do you need to have a subscription through credit card to get open chat? Why can't all subscribers have it? I personally think that it is not fair for anyone who has to buy the pre paid cards that you need to pay through credit card to get open chat.

jesse763 wrote:
Why do you need to have a subscription through credit card to get open chat? Why can't all subscribers have it? I personally think that it is not fair for anyone who has to buy the pre paid cards that you need to pay through credit card to get open chat.

We've explained this repeatedly. Since anyone of any age can purchase the prepaid cards in stores, they cannot be used as verification of age over 18.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hollen1233 wrote:
luke3234 wrote:
luke3234] how do you get open chat i try to set it up but i don't know how

Did you get this set up yet? If not, you need to login on Wizard 101. Then click on "My Accounts". If you are not the parent/adult on the account, you will need one of them to set this up for you.

You need to enter the parental control password. Then go to the chat options. Click on the option/options that you want to change and then turn it "on". You will see the word "enable" on the right hand column near each option. After you turn an option "on", the word "enable" goes away and the word "disable" appears.

When you are finished changing your chat options, go to the bottom of the page to finish (I think you hit "submit" but not sure what it says there).

Hope this helps.

HELP SOMEONE!!!! i am over 18 but i cannot even see the thing for open chat to turn on HELP!!

mastersamsonn wrote:

HELP SOMEONE!!!! i am over 18 but i cannot even see the thing for open chat to turn on HELP!!

Wow...just wow. I can't believe I have to repeat this already.

Prepaid Gift Cards purchased in the store cannot be used as proof of age. We've explained this repeatedly (in this same thread). Since anyone of any age can purchase the prepaid cards in stores, they cannot be used as verification of age over 18.

If you want to enable Open Chat for players over the age of 18, you can only do so with a valid credit card (not a gift card, not a gift certificate). Period.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Survivor
Apr 29, 2010
Prospector Zeke wrote:
mastersamsonn wrote:

Wow...just wow. I can't believe I have to repeat this already.

Prepaid Gift Cards purchased in the store cannot be used as proof of age. We've explained this repeatedly (in this same thread). Since anyone of any age can purchase the prepaid cards in stores, they cannot be used as verification of age over 18.

If you want to enable Open Chat for players over the age of 18, you can only do so with a valid credit card (not a gift card, not a gift certificate). Period.

Hey so are you telling me i have to use my credit card to verify that i am

over the age of 18 years old. I dont know if i can trust this game with my

credit card information, IS IT SAFE. ps i think that is a horrible way to do

it, since most people would not trust it.

Administrator
Yes. There are only a few ways that someone can legally prove they are over a certain age, and credit card information is the one that can be verified online.

For information on site security, please see the VeriSign Trusted button on the bottom of this page. Click it to learn about site encryption.

WhitePanzer wrote:
Hey so are you telling me i have to use my credit card to verify that i am

over the age of 18 years old. I dont know if i can trust this game with my

credit card information, IS IT SAFE. ps i think that is a horrible way to do

it, since most people would not trust it.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
May 14, 2009
roxas401 wrote:
I don't know how to get open chat. It says my age isn't set so i don't know what to do, please help. :-(

Me too! I'm having the same problem.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Gamma wrote:
The answer you seek, young Wizard, can be found on the website under Help & Support - Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.wizard101.com/game/faq

Subscribed Accounts verified as 18+ through a valid credit card on file with Wizard101 can enable Open Chat through Account Management and Parental Controls.

i am 19, my account is registered member, and i used a credit card to subscribe, i have had open chat before, i went to change settings to allow open chat and it doesn't "change" to open chat...example: text fliter...i click disable...nothing happens it just stays set to "on" i am a currently subscribed player and i am very annoyed by not being able to type numbers or abbreviations