Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does anybody else play both boy and girl wiz?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
I was wondering how many other players play both kinds of characters. In my 25 years of playing role playing games, I have always created both male and female characters. I think it broadens your understanding, much like playing mages or fighters do in D&D. Like here, I would not play the same schools over and over again. Does that make sense? (Here I have an equal number of both)

Champion
May 03, 2011
I have wondered about this. Most people I know only have characters of their own gender. I tried to have a male character, but found it hard to identify with him, so I deleted him. I agree that it does broaden one's perspective. My son created a female character on my suggestion, so he could see how differently girls are treated in the game. He learned a lot about gender roles :? , but he didn't keep her. I wonder if it has to do with how one thinks about the game itself--as a role-playing opportunity, a chance for some kind of self-expression, or just an exercise in mathematics, probability, and so on. I'd be interested to hear from others on this--I hope you get a lot of replies.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I have five guys and one girl. My plan was to make a couple of girls after my third wizard, but I felt wanting to make a girl was so weird I ended up not wanting to make any. Then I was making my last wizard and I thought "forget it". Thinking back I wish I made 3 and 3, but I'm happy with having one girl.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
In games where girls/females look really good (slender, powerful, etc), I play female characters along with guy characters.

However, in this game, the girls really don't appeal to me the way magic wielding, sword slinging warrior ladies do. So, I don't really play them.

(Visual aspect/aesthetics is my #1 decision on whether to play female/male. You know, the cool factor.)

Squire
Dec 21, 2008
Champion
May 03, 2011
In games where girls/females look really good (slender, powerful, etc), I play female characters along with guy characters.

Some of the facial feature options for girls make them look ditzy--kind of dumb and air-headed. This is not true for the guys. The spectrum there goes from kind of neutral to mean-looking, it seems to me. My six girl wizards have only three faces between them (with different skin tones and hair) because those three are the only ones I think look reasonably attractive, smart, and not silly. Although beyond the facial differences, I don't think male and females look that different in the game.

Mastermind
Jun 25, 2009
The reason people do this (maybe) is to see how different people are treated differently and I have concluded that my female charecter was treated more nicely towards other players. My male charecters (obviosly those male charecters are my gender in real life) have progressed more into the game because i'm a guy, I have the personality of a guy so I know how to react my own ways. (females react to different things differently i'll tell you that same for us males) I deleted my female wiz because:

1. I was an adept and only had 3 friends that never went on anymore.

2. I didn't know how to react like a female would so that lead me to delete her.

Hunter LegendWrath level60 necromancer

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
I have two boy and two girl. I thought the same as the initial poster, that it would widen my horizons/perspective.

Alas, like another poster, I have trouble identifying with the opposite gender characters and therefore don't play them at all anymore... after struggling with it for while because I thought I should really give it a good shot. So at some point I will probably delete them and recreate characters from the same schools but in female form.

Very interesting question. I really enjoyed reading everyone's answers too.

I do have friends who have both (friends are both male and female also) who enjoy playing both... which was part of why I thought I'd try both as well. Also, one of my sons created a male character on my account, so I thought I'd just "play it through" for a couple of reasons: he pushed it up to a fair lvl; I like to set open examples for my kids - so I didn't want to seem closed to the idea of playing with opposite gender chars.

Defender
Sep 14, 2010
I'm a girl IRL, but I never really liked making girls in Wizard. The way they walk, their clothes, and how they scream as if they've just saw Chucky when they are attacked- it just doesn't appeal to me. So far I have two boys and one girl, but the girl is my cousin's wizard.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Even though I am a guy, anime girl characters have always appealed to me more than guy characters. I think its because the guys almost always seem to be muscly and tough, which I doesn't appeal to me. I have half girl characters and half boy characters, I don't mind the boys in wizard101 as they aren't muscle men.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
I have 9 male characters and 3 female characters...

I have a female life, ice, and myth...

I love them all... Although, the only thing that is funny about playing the girls, is that guys try to pick me up all the time... go figure!

Explorer
Jul 14, 2010
My mother and I live in the same house, so often when she is doing chores or things I'm playing her wizard ( when she let's me.) It's as previously said: a horizon broadener. Although I suppose its easier on me knowing the person all my life. But I personally always play male. As my mother always palys female.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
i find it easy to play both on this game.most other games the female is so unappealing.i think most ladies would agree that deep down they want
an equal chance of playing and most games just take that away.i have one male character(made by a friend) and four female characters.Most were made on special days in my family.

Squire
Jun 19, 2009
I have one girl in the school of fire. Though, that is the only girl I am making. Of course, I do not tell everyone i'm a boy cause they just look at you weirdly and run away . The only reason I did this is cause I was thinking what your thinking. Also for videos, that I pt on the internet, sometimes I need a girl for them, but one who will cooperate correctly. Me. lol.

Defender
Dec 21, 2010
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
I have 9 male characters and 3 female characters...

I have a female life, ice, and myth...

I love them all... Although, the only thing that is funny about playing the girls, is that guys try to pick me up all the time... go figure!

I know right? I know it shouldn't let it get to me, but it's just annoying! Like, why are you trying to get with me? This ain't no match.com.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2011
Let's see. On my first account I have all girls. IRL I had sisters, I had daughters; girls I know. Boys are a mystery. I was highly resistant to playing a boy character. My daughters have both, and really enjoy playing 'boys', but they mostly play their girls. I opened a second account and I have two boys now and I have to say I am really enjoying them.

Part of my reluctance was that the boys' faces are all mean or goofy looking, as another poster above said. I am not mean/fierce irl, so I just couldn't relate. So I chose the most innocuous of the faces. Sometimes I play my legend girl (with white hair) simultaneously with my adept boy (very arabian looking) and I feel like a 'cougar'. LOL

Most interesting is that my husband has a girl character that he plays regularly, and he has noticed a marked difference in the interactions. He has been talked to by boys inappropriately several times, and said to me that now he understands what women have to go through - fielding questions, trying to understand the real meaning of what's been said, etc. He loves his girl character, and it has made him very sympathetic to what I and my daughters have occasionally faced in the game.

I have also noticed that when I am a girl, I am MORE LIKELY to get asked to 'gift' someone. My boys never get asked to gift someone.

Thanks for the question!
Madeline Soulhaven, legendary fire
Erica Spiritthief, legendary life
and Tristan Crow, adept death

Champion
Jun 16, 2009
I used to have 1 girl in w101. I deleted her because i needed more room. Her name was Michelle ghostwhisper, She was lvl 13-14 myth

Delver
Apr 12, 2011
i thought about this one time to widen my perspective see what its like as well the other gender but then i thought i have no clue how to act like a girl i do have a friend that does this

sometimes i find it hard to remember its him when he is on his girl char.

Survivor
Aug 05, 2009
I have 2 girls and 3 boy Wizards. The 2 girls are named after my Wife and Daughter. 2 of the boy wizards are named after my son's and then a random storm wizard. I play them all and it is funny playing having boys ask if I have a boyfriend and when I say no they are asking me out, Then I clarify and let them know I'm married then I get the I'm too old to play Wizards,

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I have 6 male wizards and one female wizard. My female is my ice, and i love playing her, and like the way she looks, but i feel weird about friending people on her- actually, i feel weird associating in general with people on her- so she's who i play when i don't feel like really talking/questing with anyone. She is pretty much the only wizard i pvp with, though. -eli and crew

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I have half girls half boys. One thing I find annoying is that if I tell people my RL is different from character gender people get weird. It never occurred to me to expect the character to match reality, I mean my hair looks different, or my skin color but that seems to be ok... As someone mentioned this is not match.com so why care what gender is my character?

Mastermind
Jun 10, 2011
Me being a boy, i made 5 boys, and a girl pyro. I wanted to make her because of the high hel shoes and the formal dresses that kinda tamper with the lower side of your back. o. o And i dont like how guys ask me out and i have to clarify i am a guy, wanting to experiment with a girl qizard, and that i dont want to date right now. Wiizard101 has become a dating site and i liked it better when it was old school. No wacky people making it a dating.com

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
i think i am going to have a girl one because when i am a boy i mostly have girls as my friends so i am wondering as a boy boys will mostly be my friends

Blaze Gem-Level 60 Legendary Pryomancer

Blaze Titan-Level 14 Initiate Sorcerer

"There is only one thing to Fear but Fear itself"

Explorer
Dec 09, 2008
I thought maybe i was the only one that had both boy and girl wizards. I am a boy and i have a wizard in each school of magic. I started with all boys but for some reason i didn't connect with some of my wizards in certain schools. For instance i had a level 20 ice wizard that i deleted because it seemed the further i got with him the less interested i was in playing him. I don't know why but i just thought he is not right for me. I thought just for fun i would make a girl ice wizard and play her. She is now a legendary with a fully decorated house and epic pets with great stats. I have completely maxed her out. When i played through ice as a girl wizard it seemed work more for me. Now i am in no way saying that ice is for girls only but for me when i thought of a ice wizard i thought mine must be a girl. I ended up making a girl wizard for life, fire, and balance. I have boys for storm, myth and death. My friend said he thinks the reason i thought this way and created my wizards like this was because of the professors. He says that i made my wizard match the professor. Which i didn't notice that i had done that until he pointed it out. Every school i made a girl for had a girl professor except balance. I wonder if that is why i did it that way because Professor GreyRose was a girl that i thought my ice had to be a girl. If that was the case it was completely by accident. I wouldn't say that any school is for just one gender but i seem to have put a label on them by accident. lol