Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Do you need membership/crowns to play? And which?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 04, 2011
I suppose I should have rephrased my question. I've been playing with crowns since I started this game, but it's very difficult to progress that way. Every day I find eight more zones that I need to buy, all costing 1,200 or around there. Is it easier to just get membership? Because at this point, I find you can't really play without them. About the first ten levels are playable- after that, you're so restricted that you have to spend money to get anywhere. I've been playing this game for nearly two years and I'm a level 31. Yep, that's my highest level. I would love to level up and get to Celestia, but it's proving difficult unless I cash my saving every month. The thing about crowns is that I think I prefer them to a membership. Because with crowns, not only do you not need to renew them, but also you can buy cool stuff in the crown shop. At the same time, a membership would provide me with access anywhere. I'm thinking I'll either get the mega pack of 60,000 crowns or I'll just get a couple months memebership (I'm sure I can get to level 50 by then). I guess I'm just wondering which to do, or if there's a loophole between blowing a ton of cash. Is there a benefit to crowns as opposed to subscription?

Delver
Dec 15, 2009
Sabrina StormSling... on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
I suppose I should have rephrased my question. I've been playing with crowns since I started this game, but it's very difficult to progress that way. Every day I find eight more zones that I need to buy, all costing 1,200 or around there. Is it easier to just get membership? Because at this point, I find you can't really play without them. About the first ten levels are playable- after that, you're so restricted that you have to spend money to get anywhere. I've been playing this game for nearly two years and I'm a level 31. Yep, that's my highest level. I would love to level up and get to Celestia, but it's proving difficult unless I cash my saving every month. The thing about crowns is that I think I prefer them to a membership. Because with crowns, not only do you not need to renew them, but also you can buy cool stuff in the crown shop. At the same time, a membership would provide me with access anywhere. I'm thinking I'll either get the mega pack of 60,000 crowns or I'll just get a couple months memebership (I'm sure I can get to level 50 by then). I guess I'm just wondering which to do, or if there's a loophole between blowing a ton of cash. Is there a benefit to crowns as opposed to subscription?
I am a very big crowns user. I have bought 3 60,000 crown packages for 180$ and I do not regret it. I simply recommend crowns over membership.

Although membership does give you gardening or pet benefits, it also limits you to 1, 6, or 12 months. While if you buy an area with crowns, you have access to that area forever, on all wizards on that account. As I've bought 180,000 crowns, I can buy all of the areas available in wizard101.

I've already bought Wizard City - Celestia, I am now at 80,500 crowns left still and continuing to buy Zafaria-Mirage.

I prefer crowns because sometimes, Wizard101 is an "on & off" type of thing. If I've played a lot, I would simply get bored of it and not return for a month or two. And if you had a 6-12 year membership, that would have been a complete waste of money. As in crowns, crowns never expire. They never expire in your backpack nor if the areas you bought which I find magnificent. Also you won't have to worry about a membership dangling over you when you're questing thinking "oh no my membership is about to end"

If you buy a 60,000 crowns for 60$, that will buy you literally about half the game. Buying another will get you 4/5, and another, (or 30,000 crowns) will get you the whole game, which you can worry free of no memberships hanging above you and you have technically "bought" out the game and don't have to worry!

And of course benefits to crowns are crown shop items, you can still do ranked PvP with crowns, so you're not missing out.

I bought a 1 year membership for crowns on November 6th, 2015, and as soon as I bought it I said "A year is a long time woo" but when September or October rolled along, I was disappointed because I could have bought another 60,000 instead of a one year membership.

Hunter LifeBreeze 120
Hunter StormBreeze 58

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Sabrina StormSling... on Jan 29, 2017 wrote:
The only benefits to crowns is your buying the area forever, but membership has way more benefits so memberships are better

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
I have never regretted buying areas for crowns. I don't play every day and when I run out of crowns, then I wait until I can buy more - there's still plenty to do. You can run a lower level wizard through the areas you've already purchased, or you take the time to train pets or craft.
Membership has some great benefits, though, like an expanded friends list, more space in your backpack/bank and the recurring "member benefits" for pets and gardening.
I love the fact that KI has given us 2 options.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2016
you do not need a membership or crowns for a while. Crowns can come in useful though. but after a while you will need a membership or crowns which ever one is your choice to keep on playing and doing the quest. A membership cost a different amount depending on which you buy and unlocks all of the locked worlds that their are. now of course you still need to level up to achieve the worlds. Now crowns are different you buy a whole bunch at once and you can then spend them on the locked worlds to unlock them and play them but crowns can also be used to buy stuff from the crown shop like mounts, packs, pets, clothing, dorm items stuff like that. so no you don't really need crowns or a membership to play but I suggest getting one after you are tired of just fighting felid guards.
I hope that this answered your question.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2015
I suppose it depends on how fast you move through worlds. I buy my memberships by the month, because in a single month I can easily blow through two moderately sized worlds, as well as having access to the side dungeons like waterworks, house of scales, and darkmoor that you would otherwise have to rent. Then again, if you play slowly and only have an hour per day or so, as well as a decent amount of disposable income, crowns may be the way to go.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I've always used crowns. I buy the areas, and unlock them permanently for all characters I create. That way, should something happen with the auto renewal, you don't lose all the progress you made.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I WISH I had known that the crowns option would give me access FOREVER whereas a membership has to be paid for newly each year to the tune of 70 $ USD or so!

That hardly seems fair!

I have bought enough crowns since then to pay for the crown sections many times over.

Hardly seems right.