Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Disrespect

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 06, 2010
1
Dear Kingilse,

I love this game so much but people who are on high levels , even the lower lvl are calling others noobs. :(

I think that these ppl are very disrespectful, to the ppl on lower lvl and the higher lvls!

My point is, i don't want to leave this game. i love it so much but it's getting harder to stay on it, with all the evil things ppl can say even with the chat filter on.


Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2162
Crush333 wrote:
Dear Kingilse,

I love this game so much but people who are on high levels , even the lower lvl are calling others noobs. :(

I think that these ppl are very disrespectful, to the ppl on lower lvl and the higher lvls!

My point is, i don't want to leave this game. i love it so much but it's getting harder to stay on it, with all the evil things ppl can say even with the chat filter on.



Crush, being called a noob is not really something to get upset about. We all get called noobs and this even comes from many of the lower level wizards calling high level wizards this also. The whole thing depends on how you interpret it. Most of us just laugh and yep, I am a noob. Noob is just another way of saying "newbie". When you laugh this off, it will in most cases let the other player know that it does not bother you.

If you know that certain things you see are reportable, the use the report button. But, make sure it is against the rules.

Once you have reported someone, you can also put them on ignore and you may want to switch realms to one that is a little cleaner. KI is aware of the problems like this in the game and those are being addressed. It will take some time to get it cleaned up, but it will get better. There are realms that are known to be rather "rough" and if you are aware of them, you may want to avoid those in particular.

But please, don't take offense at being called a noob. We have all been there and still get called noobs.

Here are a couple of links you may want to take a look at before making reports against other players. These will help you. The rule of thumb so to speak, is "if in doubt, don't report". False reports can also get you in trouble.

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/52195.ftl

https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4956
Crush333 wrote:
Dear Kingilse,

I love this game so much but people who are on high levels , even the lower lvl are calling others noobs. :(

I think that these ppl are very disrespectful, to the ppl on lower lvl and the higher lvls!

My point is, i don't want to leave this game. i love it so much but it's getting harder to stay on it, with all the evil things ppl can say even with the chat filter on.


"Noob" isn't reportable, and isn't a big deal, but "evil" things like swearing and threats are. Report the offenders you see. It's the only way KI can know who is doing what.

If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
I report people all the time... they learn or leave. Leaving is fine with me. I have no patience for that kind of behavior.

Explorer
Apr 05, 2012
65
The word "noob" has been way over used. It has lost its original meaning.
Here's what dictionary.com has to say about it.
dictionary.com wrote:
noob
[noob] noun Slang: Usually Disparaging .
a newbie, especially a person who is new to an online community and whose online participation and interactions display a lack of skill or knowledge: "Some games and gaming forums are crawling with annoying noobs."

new·bie
[noo-bee, nyoo‐] noun
a newcomer or novice, especially an inexperienced user of the Internet or of computers in general.

newbie definition
jargon
/n[y]oo'bee/ (Sometimes shorted to "noob") Originally from British public-school and military slang variant of "new boy", an inexperienced user.
This term surfaced in the newsgroup news:talk.bizarre but is now in wide use. Criteria for being considered a newbie vary wildly; a person can be called a newbie in one group while remaining a respected regular in another. The label "newbie" is sometimes applied as a serious insult to a person who has been around for a long time but who carefully hides all evidence of having a clue.

someone who is new to a group, place, activity, etc. (The opposite of oldbie.) : "I'm just a newbie, but I do have a question for the group." , "Will you noobs ever learn to read the FAQ?"
oldbie definition
n.
someone who is not a newbie; someone who is not new to a group, place, activity, etc. : "Speaking as an oldbie, I wish you newbies would RTFF!"


A person can be an oldbie of MMO games, but a newbie for one particular game.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
90
Crush333 wrote:
Dear Kingilse,

I love this game so much but people who are on high levels , even the lower lvl are calling others noobs. :(

I think that these ppl are very disrespectful, to the ppl on lower lvl and the higher lvls!

My point is, i don't want to leave this game. i love it so much but it's getting harder to stay on it, with all the evil things ppl can say even with the chat filter on.


bro. no reason to caus a panic. just use the mute button. you wont need to worry about that from my precious aaron ravenpants, however.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
42
I wouldn't mind being called a noob but I think we all know that noone actually mentions the word noob as a newbie. It's like the big elephant in the room. The word noob ins't insulting or a swear if you actually know what it means but nowadays the meaning has changed and we all know it. I've never called anyone noob because I was once in their place and I'll probably be again when I decide to create a new wizard. I think that's the only thing that bothers me the most in this game. When I see the word noob pop in my chat I know it's not a way to welcome another wizard in the spiral...
I wish people would stop hiding behind their finger, we all know how this word works these days...

Have fun exploring Wizard101! :D

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
711
anstarx wrote:
When I see the word noob pop in my chat I know it's not a way to welcome another wizard in the spiral...I wish people would stop hiding behind their finger, we all know how this word works these days...

Have fun exploring Wizard101! :D


Yep, @anstarx, I agree. "Noob" is now officially a derogatory word, meant as an insult, and a means of initiating cyber-bullying and fighting. I see the trolly ones in the Spiral use "noob" as a way to guarantee their little trolling expeditions will yield mayhem.

It's sad, ya know? Nowadays, kids browbeat one another for being curious and trying something new, like this game.

Unfortunately, KI is not likely to remove or filter "noob", unless they have something in the works to decrease the amount of cyber-bullying in the Spiral. That's entirely possible; KI is known for their stealth tactics.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb


Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
42
queenlybluebean wrote:
It's sad, ya know? Nowadays, kids browbeat one another for being curious and trying something new, like this game.


This is something that people often forget. I couldn't agree more!

Defender
Mar 10, 2012
182
A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
1609
queenlybluebean wrote:
anstarx wrote:
When I see the word noob pop in my chat I know it's not a way to welcome another wizard in the spiral...I wish people would stop hiding behind their finger, we all know how this word works these days...

Have fun exploring Wizard101! :D


Yep, @anstarx, I agree. "Noob" is now officially a derogatory word, meant as an insult, and a means of initiating cyber-bullying and fighting. I see the trolly ones in the Spiral use "noob" as a way to guarantee their little trolling expeditions will yield mayhem.

It's sad, ya know? Nowadays, kids browbeat one another for being curious and trying something new, like this game.

Unfortunately, KI is not likely to remove or filter "noob", unless they have something in the works to decrease the amount of cyber-bullying in the Spiral. That's entirely possible; KI is known for their stealth tactics.

Warmest Regards,

Qbb



queenly i disagree with you
there is nothing bad about the word noob
even though the word is meant as a insult
its merely a "gaming" word and to the OP

noob isnt a curse word

it means a new person or in most cases a inexperienced person
just step in and help the person out
but absolutely DONT report the person unless he uses a actually cuss word
noob isnt a curse its a gaming word aka not against ki's policy/terms of use

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
24
I joined the game a few months ago and heartily approve of the chat filters and menu restrictions that protect young people while playing online. Adult, or unfiltered chat, is nice for those of us who don't need such protection. However, I am incensed that one can EASILY get around the adult chat filter by adding a space between letters! This a far more serious problem than simple words that are meant to be hurtful but are, essentially, valid. Of course the report feature is always an option but generates excessive complaints when KI can just as easily code the filter to remove spaces then review the word against their filtered or banned list.

That being said, I agree with the original poster that words like "noob" are intended to be hurtful and harassing. That's the definition of cyber-bullying and should be immediately addressed by KI staff. Many other posters here seem to focus on "noob" as applied to new players either to the game or gaming in general. I agree that's a valid use of the word. However, when starting a new avatar, I was accused of being a noob in a context that was intentionally meant to be derogatory. My myth avatar just made level 80 so I certainly could have laughed it off but, even as an adult, I felt hurt.

I believe a better title for this posting should be: Petition to remove words that are used for bullying and harassment. Noob is the excellent example given by the original poster. It's tantamount to calling someone an idiot, dumb, ignorant or the vast number of similes that are already on the filtered list. It means their gameplay is poor. Let's be completely frank; it is intended to mean that they or their gameplay "suck." Should someone wish to ask if a player is a noob or say that they are a noob, one can just as easily express that with non-filtered words: "Are you new? I am new."

So, in the spirit of this thread, I suggest that KI review the following words and hereby request that they be removed from filtered chat because they are meant to be derogatory and harassing:

noob

*should you agree with the request in this format, please feel free to add additional words or phrases to the list.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
24
I joined the game a few months ago and heartily approve of the chat filters and menu restrictions that protect young people while playing online. Adult, or unfiltered chat, is nice for those of us who don't need such protection. However, I am incensed that one can EASILY get around the adult chat filter by adding a space between letters! This a far more serious problem than simple words that are meant to be hurtful but are, essentially, valid. Of course the report feature is always an option but generates excessive complaints when KI can just as easily code the filter to remove spaces then review the word against their filtered or banned list.

That being said, I agree with the original poster that words like "noob" are intended to be hurtful and harassing. That's the definition of cyber-bullying and should be immediately addressed by KI staff. Many other posters here seem to focus on "noob" as applied to new players either to the game or gaming in general. I agree that's a valid use of the word. However, when starting a new avatar, I was accused of being a noob in a context that was intentionally meant to be derogatory. My myth avatar just made level 80 so I certainly could have laughed it off but, even as an adult, I felt hurt.

I believe a better title for this posting should be: Petition to remove words that are used for bullying and harassment. Noob is the excellent example given by the original poster. It's tantamount to calling someone an idiot, dumb, ignorant or the vast number of similes that are already on the filtered list. It means their gameplay is poor. Let's be completely frank; it is intended to mean that they or their gameplay "stinks" (substitute a worse word). Should someone wish to ask if a player is a noob or say that they are a noob, one can just as easily express that with non-filtered words: "Are you new? I am new."

So, in the spirit of this thread, I suggest that KI review the following words and hereby request that they be removed from filtered chat because they are meant to be derogatory and harassing:

noob

*should you agree with the request in this format, please feel free to add additional words or phrases to the list.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
30
@Crush333:

While the term "noob" or "newbie" isn't a curse word, and oftentimes, it's usage is for its indended use - to refer to someone as being new to the game, or of a lower level, I have found some folks use it in context as derogatory or insulting.

I for one, find humor in referring to myself as a 'noob' sometimes, particularly when I make a move in the game that I obviously didn't give prior thought to, and laugh at myself for improper planning. Or when I'm trying to save pips for a big spell and keep getting white ones, I'll refer to them as "noob" pips.

However, when it is used to degrade someone and make them feel inferior, that is called 'cyber bullying' and should not be tolerated. I believe that's what GoldenDragon meant when she pointed out the Report button, and then the report text should indicate that the person was 'bullying'.

I would never use 'noob' to insult someone, but within context, some people do use the term that way, and that is not acceptable. Report those that use the word that way. But for the most part, if you are a low level wizard, then just have some fun calling yourself a 'noob' for awhile, because, face it, you're only a noob once!

Destiny SpiritGiver

Survivor
Jun 23, 2010
8
I believe too many time we as a adult are to up tight. A noob is the least of the words that need to be restricted. I know that many time we get so insulted and so disrespected in real life, that we tend to bring it to a place which is so simple as a game. Let children be children. If you know you are new to the game than just ignore it and keep it moving.

Let's not get so technical or timid. This game may not be for everyone.

Survivor
Apr 09, 2012
12
Its not really disrespect- like everybody's called a noob some time or other. In fact, sometimes i refer to my own wiz as a noob for not having good looking gear and low health whatnot. In fact one time some lvl 36 balance was calling my 40 storm a noob because of low health but was too scared to pvp me :-o oh yeah and some brainy guy did say that- "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you are alone"

(PS i dont think that you should take this noob suff seriously :) )