Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Discrimination towards kids in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 02, 2010
Here is what is ironic. I am not a kid. I am an adult, but I feel bad for the way lots of adults are treating kids in Wizard101 in regards to the following things:

1. Lower level players and text chatters more often end up removed from friend lists and are often shoved aside
by adults. Adults don't like associating with them as though they are pests.
While I am an adult and I admit I largely do similar things to this, some people in game simply treat open chats are though they are"better" than text and menu chatters as well as lower level players.

2. I often here people using the world"child, text chatter and menu chatter" in very negative contexts such as using the world child for as a synonym for(no life, gimp, or weird person). I often have seen people kick text chatters from their houses and menu chatters just for being menu or text chatters. I often have seen people treat text chatters horribly just for being text chatters without even knowing them. Its really sad.

3. A very nasty attitude that saddens lots of kids playing this game that people continuous cast is"Because I am an adult and your the kid, I know better and your very being at the present is despicable".
--------------------------
While its true that there are many reasons for feelings like these, I really feel that people need to stop acting like this and start treating everyone like family. I am thinking starting to remove adults who treat kids in Wizard101 this way.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
IME most of the offenders are not adults but tweens & early teens who think they are acting "mature" by putting down younger or less experienced players, and by cursing or other bad behavior. That isn't to say all teens are trouble makers, or all adults are saints, but bullying is more often by older kids to younger kids, not by adults.

I love the all ages aspect of the game, and have friends from 9 to 90. I've met some very well behaved and skilled young players. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and courtesy.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Alex Stormlight on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
Here is what is ironic. I am not a kid. I am an adult, but I feel bad for the way lots of adults are treating kids in Wizard101 in regards to the following things:

1. Lower level players and text chatters more often end up removed from friend lists and are often shoved aside
While I am an adult and I admit I largely do similar things to this, some people in game simply treat open chats are though they are"better" than text and menu chatters as well as lower level players.

2. I often here people using the world"child, text chatter and menu chatter" in very negative contexts such as using the world child for as a synonym for(no life, gimp, or weird person). I often have seen people kick text chatters from their houses and menu chatters just for being menu or text chatters. I often have seen people treat text chatters horribly just for being text chatters without even knowing them. Its really sad.

3. A very nasty attitude that saddens lots of kids playing this game that people continuous cast is"Because I am an adult and your the kid, I know better and your very being at the present is despicable".
While its true that there are many reasons for feelings like these, I really feel that people need to stop acting like this and start treating everyone like family. I am thinking starting to remove adults who treat kids in Wizard101 this way.
What I'll say is this:

I view a "kid" as anybody, regardless of age, who acts like a child. you can be a 90 year old kid or a 9 year old kid. Things that make me view you as a kid are when a player orders others around in a battle so that they can make the killing blow, gift beggars, people who can't communicate effectively when they type because of how they say things, etc. Now, that last one, communication, I have no problem with people, who have a primary language other than English playing the game. Those people I can understand better than some of the english speaking people who use "leet speak", or other "hip gargonish languages", to express themselves. It's just like people on this forum who can't find a punctuation mark to save their lives. They may have a wonderful command of vocabulary, but their knowledge is wasted by lack of separation. I myself am guilty of punctuation issues, most people are.......

but what im talking about are the people who type out long sentences and thoughts and dont bother to capitalize punctuate or anything else then they move on to another thought and you have no idea what they are saying because they seem to be spewing forth a large volume of words just to hear themselves talk

things like that. THAT is what I call a "kid"; those infractions. Now, all of that being said, I do NOT insult the people, I dont type "noob" or "newb" or "menu chatter" etc, I just go on about my business.

As for Menu Chatting, the system is a horrible form of communication that only touches the surface of what you'd need to say. That being said, because of those difficulties, I refuse to friend anybody who is a menu chatter. It's just extremely hard to effectively help them. I dont knock them for their lack of communication ability, but it takes too much thinking to try to textually help them out

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010

Sadly it is the evolution of the game. When I first started on Wizards it was general that you have menu chat, regular chat and for me no open chat friends. I had filtered chat for years because I didn't even know about open chat. Now I see people down grading even filtered chat from their friends lists.

For me, I began to see, the turn around began when Celestia/Waterworks came out. The influx of new players seemed to be more harsh. A lot more scamming began and noob was used regularly. I could no longer sit in the Commons and enjoy the conversations going on around me, see the new mounts, gear and pets. I won't go into half the stuff I heard before I decided to sit in common worlds areas instead.

Personally on my first time though the game I actually stopped helping one of the 2 adults on my list because she said she just couldn't stand my menu chat friends any more and was removing them from her list.

I think lack of clear communication as the game has gotten more difficult does not help. As the game gets more serious people don't have the patience for helping others less equipped. You have no way to make plans for upper world battles. Some can be clingy but I think that is because they have been forced to latch onto any one that will accept them and help them in the game...

On the last pass of an Ice wizard I took though into the new world I had 4 regular menu chat friends that I help get from mid DS to the beginning of KS taking each one though the end of Azetca.. I did not plan to quest much into the new world so I stopped helping anyone there regularly and created another wizard.

To believe that the game is still for the family now is a stretch really, at least from the feel I get from the game now. It's matured, aged and being made for an entirely different age group now.

Mary

Delver
Jun 02, 2010
dayerider on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
What I'll say is this:

I view a "kid" as anybody, regardless of age, who acts like a child. you can be a 90 year old kid or a 9 year old kid. Things that make me view you as a kid are when a player orders others around in a battle so that they can make the killing blow, gift beggars, people who can't communicate effectively when they type because of how they say things, etc. Now, that last one, communication, I have no problem with people, who have a primary language other than English playing the game. Those people I can understand better than some of the english speaking people who use "leet speak", or other "hip gargonish languages", to express themselves. It's just like people on this forum who can't find a punctuation mark to save their lives. They may have a wonderful command of vocabulary, but their knowledge is wasted by lack of separation. I myself am guilty of punctuation issues, most people are.......

but what im talking about are the people who type out long sentences and thoughts and dont bother to capitalize punctuate or anything else then they move on to another thought and you have no idea what they are saying because they seem to be spewing forth a large volume of words just to hear themselves talk

things like that. THAT is what I call a "kid"; those infractions. Now, all of that being said, I do NOT insult the people, I dont type "noob" or "newb" or "menu chatter" etc, I just go on about my business.

As for Menu Chatting, the system is a horrible form of communication that only touches the surface of what you'd need to say. That being said, because of those difficulties, I refuse to friend anybody who is a menu chatter. It's just extremely hard to effectively help them. I dont knock them for their lack of communication ability, but it takes too much thinking to try to textually help them out
"I view a "kid" as anybody, regardless of age, who acts like a child."
This part is kinda what I am talking about. Technically speaking a child is someone from about 7-13 years old. A kid technically is anyone 7-18 if I am not mistaken. That pretty accurate, but the word"kid' is being used as a synonym for bad things such as(unintelligent person, loser) and I think its calling anyone a kid in that context is tantamount to that. In my opinion people don't per day act like kids, but just simply act with bad traits and bad character sometimes. Kids are often very smart and intelligent, well manner and can have many good conversations with. One of the the big problems I think is that they make a bad name for themselves because too many of them act this way.
As for menu chatters. I definitely agree with you there. Its hard to be friends with someone in Wizard101 if they cannot communicate properly so its understandable why so many will avoid them.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
Aye, this is true. Unfortunately, it'd be very hard to stop it now. Too many people do it, and people follow the trend so that they don't miss the Bandwagon.

Champion
Jul 13, 2013

I think the discrimination is to menu chatters. No one will be my friend in the game and no one will help me out on dungeons because I can't understand what I say. Everyone in the Mallistare dungeon hated me But then I think they were arguing about who went into the final battle first, and they argued for like 5 minutes, and after that I went into battle first.
I am a Grandmaster and a good fighter and not afraid of bosses and great at being a tank but most people act like I'm new at the game or something.
I ask to be low level open chatters' friends and they always decline.
But
there is hope! I get some really nice menu chat friends and they take me to PVP parties where everyone has menu chat. We can't say much but we can say others look nice and we can brag about our mounts and stuff.
Still, the discrimination to menu chatters and maybe kids is very bad. And aren't most people playing the game kids, anyway?
Myrna Dragoncloud

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Dragoncloud888 on Sep 3, 2014 wrote:
I think the discrimination is to menu chatters. No one will be my friend in the game and no one will help me out on dungeons because I can't understand what I say. Everyone in the Mallistare dungeon hated me But then I think they were arguing about who went into the final battle first, and they argued for like 5 minutes, and after that I went into battle first.
I am a Grandmaster and a good fighter and not afraid of bosses and great at being a tank but most people act like I'm new at the game or something.
I ask to be low level open chatters' friends and they always decline.
But
there is hope! I get some really nice menu chat friends and they take me to PVP parties where everyone has menu chat. We can't say much but we can say others look nice and we can brag about our mounts and stuff.
Still, the discrimination to menu chatters and maybe kids is very bad. And aren't most people playing the game kids, anyway?
Myrna Dragoncloud
The discrimination against menu chatters is unfair but also understandable to some extent. I have friends that are menu chat that are very experienced players, but I have also had really bad dungeon experiences with some menu chatters. It's extremely frustrating when you cannot communicate with someone during battle. You cannot talk strategy or explain boss cheats to menu chatters. Seeing them trigger things and you have no way of telling them what they are doing wrong is VERY frustrating. It's just easier for many people to avoid being in those situations instead.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2014
I feel the same way, when is was lvl1-10 and I asked a higher lvl a question they didn't care what I said. I'm lvl 17 now, people answer me when I talk to them, I try to help lvl a 1-10 with quests and questions now.

Explorer
Oct 02, 2012

As an adult, I have to say that I have never, ever heard an adult do or say those things. Why would we? I think you must be talking about older kids or teens. Some have mouths that need a cleaning with a good bar of soap.

I have friended some nice kids and helped them in their quests or whatnot then I never hear from them again. My friend request is usually turned off.
I think more people would be inclined to have non chat friends if there were better options to communicate with them. It takes me forever to find the right chat answer from the menu. I can't explain myself well enough with a limited menu. "No" seems so harsh when I do use it. Or like how do you explain where reagents are when they use the chat menu to ask? "Yes" is not good enough cause it doesn't explain to them where to find it. It can be very frustrating.

I never treat non chatters any differently than I do chatters.