Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Difficulty is a part of the game, team up!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2012
17
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum here, and I am seeing lots of complaints about the difficulty of this game. Its always "Azteca is impossible and it's not fun" or "Collecting quests are taking too long and they're too hard." Well I do agree with most of you 100%, but that's what the game is about! If enemies and bosses had as much health as we did, if you would always collect every fight, if the player-enemy ratio was 1-1, basically if this game was fair between NPC's and players, this game would be boring! What's the fun in not having to carefully think out every spell knowing the wrong choice would ruin the fight for you, to keep hoping for a critical or a may cast? If you can't solo a tough boss or a dungeon, go ask another player to help, I bet you if they are bored then they will help you out. It's an MMO, and it's a lot more fun when you have another wizard by your side. So if you're stuck, ask a fellow wizard to help, and if you're bored, help someone! Think of it this way, if KI made the changes some of you asked for, this game would be as fun and easy as a promethean level 90 fighting a lost soul in unicorn way.

Thanks and I'll see you in the spiral!
Hunter DragonSword, level 54 necromancer
Hunter Xavier, level 10 swashbuckler

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
3173
ShadowSlayer3120 on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the forum here, and I am seeing lots of complaints about the difficulty of this game. Its always "Azteca is impossible and it's not fun" or "Collecting quests are taking too long and they're too hard." Well I do agree with most of you 100%, but that's what the game is about! If enemies and bosses had as much health as we did, if you would always collect every fight, if the player-enemy ratio was 1-1, basically if this game was fair between NPC's and players, this game would be boring! What's the fun in not having to carefully think out every spell knowing the wrong choice would ruin the fight for you, to keep hoping for a critical or a may cast? If you can't solo a tough boss or a dungeon, go ask another player to help, I bet you if they are bored then they will help you out. It's an MMO, and it's a lot more fun when you have another wizard by your side. So if you're stuck, ask a fellow wizard to help, and if you're bored, help someone! Think of it this way, if KI made the changes some of you asked for, this game would be as fun and easy as a promethean level 90 fighting a lost soul in unicorn way.

Thanks and I'll see you in the spiral!
Hunter DragonSword, level 54 necromancer
Hunter Xavier, level 10 swashbuckler
first of all~ repetition is boring. did-not-collect quests are boring. and constant grinding for little or no reward is not fun... it's degrading.

i have 2 archmages (death in avalon, balance in azteca) in my wizarding family and, while i'm not averse to group play, i don't like that it's forced on us. yes, this is an mmo... but grouping up with other players should be an option, not a requirement.

as a former solo player, and someone who still enjoys her own company sometimes, i think that solo players should be able to complete harder instances alone. for example, if a wizard entered mirror lake alone, s/he would face 2 cheating bosses, not 4~ i live in eastern canada, so most of my friends are just logging in when i'm signing off to go to bed... or i'm logging in 4 hours ahead of them and all of the servers are empty (because lunchtime here is 8 am on the opposite coast). not all players are soloists by choice~ for some, it's purely circumstantial, and i don't think that people should be punished for not wanting/being able to find a group.

-von
archmages shadowsong & deathwhisper

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
Dr Von on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
first of all~ repetition is boring. did-not-collect quests are boring. and constant grinding for little or no reward is not fun... it's degrading.

i have 2 archmages (death in avalon, balance in azteca) in my wizarding family and, while i'm not averse to group play, i don't like that it's forced on us. yes, this is an mmo... but grouping up with other players should be an option, not a requirement.

as a former solo player, and someone who still enjoys her own company sometimes, i think that solo players should be able to complete harder instances alone. for example, if a wizard entered mirror lake alone, s/he would face 2 cheating bosses, not 4~ i live in eastern canada, so most of my friends are just logging in when i'm signing off to go to bed... or i'm logging in 4 hours ahead of them and all of the servers are empty (because lunchtime here is 8 am on the opposite coast). not all players are soloists by choice~ for some, it's purely circumstantial, and i don't think that people should be punished for not wanting/being able to find a group.

-von
archmages shadowsong & deathwhisper
Repitition is verrrrrrrrry boring.
By most of your posts von im assuming you havent played to many mmo's ,MMO's are team work games thats why they call them massive multiplayer, Now i understand that you should be able to have a good time while playing but everyone out there that assumes this game should accomadate them to their play standards is just not understanding what an mmo is.
MMO gamestyle is not for everyone but i cannot seem to understand why people ask for solo things in a game that is made for group play. I get it that everyone wants to have fun playing, Who doesnt.
But to assume you are being punished because you cannot progress solo as well as progressing in group is a little strange. And the servers do get empty sometimes but everyone cannot coordinate the same so that will happen.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
Excellent thoughts. As a level 54 wizard you are only about to enter the 'did not collect' routine. I didn't find Celestia or Zafaria hard. Just very repetitive. I think this is true for many. If does seem hard all you do is side quests, level up a bit, then its easy. But still repetitive.

Same with crafting. There is nothing hard about crafting. Its just collecting stuff. But it takes a long time and is very repetitive.

Pet training. Getting your first couple pets to ancient or epic is okay. kinda. But if you are trying to breed something special.... its not hard. just repetitive. repetitive. repetitive.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
4952
Dr Von on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
first of all~ repetition is boring. did-not-collect quests are boring. and constant grinding for little or no reward is not fun... it's degrading.

i have 2 archmages (death in avalon, balance in azteca) in my wizarding family and, while i'm not averse to group play, i don't like that it's forced on us. yes, this is an mmo... but grouping up with other players should be an option, not a requirement.

as a former solo player, and someone who still enjoys her own company sometimes, i think that solo players should be able to complete harder instances alone. for example, if a wizard entered mirror lake alone, s/he would face 2 cheating bosses, not 4~ i live in eastern canada, so most of my friends are just logging in when i'm signing off to go to bed... or i'm logging in 4 hours ahead of them and all of the servers are empty (because lunchtime here is 8 am on the opposite coast). not all players are soloists by choice~ for some, it's purely circumstantial, and i don't think that people should be punished for not wanting/being able to find a group.

-von
archmages shadowsong & deathwhisper
Agreed 100%
When I am able to log on, due to work and life, I have limited time in the game. I don't have time to wait around for friends who never show up or are in a different time zone. We should be able to solo if we want to, or if we have to.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
Dr Von on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
first of all~ repetition is boring. did-not-collect quests are boring. and constant grinding for little or no reward is not fun... it's degrading.

i have 2 archmages (death in avalon, balance in azteca) in my wizarding family and, while i'm not averse to group play, i don't like that it's forced on us. yes, this is an mmo... but grouping up with other players should be an option, not a requirement.

as a former solo player, and someone who still enjoys her own company sometimes, i think that solo players should be able to complete harder instances alone. for example, if a wizard entered mirror lake alone, s/he would face 2 cheating bosses, not 4~ i live in eastern canada, so most of my friends are just logging in when i'm signing off to go to bed... or i'm logging in 4 hours ahead of them and all of the servers are empty (because lunchtime here is 8 am on the opposite coast). not all players are soloists by choice~ for some, it's purely circumstantial, and i don't think that people should be punished for not wanting/being able to find a group.

-von
archmages shadowsong & deathwhisper
Thank you Von. I agree that we should NOT be forced to group not because I don't enjoy questing with friends because I do, Even though your time zone and mine is only a couple of hours difference, it still does not always work.

But I also think this just proves how unbalanced the game has become. We don't get the spells when we should, outdated gear, NO PP increases and dozens of other things that should be helping us instead of hindering. As for an increase in the number of the enemy we face in AZ? Get real, that is just too much. I agree, the number should be as it has been regardless of the area. If I want to solo Mirror lake, I don't want to face 4 of them.

Zoroark312 said: I am fairly new to the forum here, and I am seeing lots of complaints about the difficulty of this game. Its always "Azteca is impossible and it's not fun" or "Collecting quests are taking too long and they're too hard." Well I do agree with most of you 100%, but that's what the game is about! If enemies and bosses had as much health as we did, if you would always collect every fight, if the player-enemy ratio was 1-1, basically if this game was fair between NPC's and players, this game would be boring! What's the fun in not having to carefully think out every spell knowing the wrong choice would ruin the fight for you, to keep hoping for a critical or a may cast? If you can't solo a tough boss or a dungeon, go ask another player to help, I bet you if they are bored then they will help you out. It's an MMO, and it's a lot more fun when you have another wizard by your side. So if you're stuck, ask a fellow wizard to help, and if you're bored, help someone! Think of it this way, if KI made the changes some of you asked for, this game would be as fun and easy as a promethean level 90 fighting a lost soul in unicorn way.

Thanks and I'll see you in the spiral!
Hunter DragonSword, level 54 necromancer
Hunter Xavier, level 10 swashbuckler


You say you are new to these forums and from what I see, you are fairly new to the game as a whole. You have not been here as long as some of us have and have not encountered the difficultiy jumps as yet. They are not consistant. And as Von stated, we should NOT be forced to group play when there are times our friends are not on. Playing with a stranger can be as difficult as trying to solo since you don't know each others playing style. I don't mind others joining me for street battles, but I am reluctant when it comes to dungeons. Fighting 3 on a required SOLO? No thank you.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
56
I also prefer solo play. It's not a time issue for me, it's a matter of play style. I take my time and set up attacks, still use minions (I just finished soloing Avalon) and generally play it safe - which takes time and not everyone is very patient. On top of that, most people that I've run into have... uh... let's say "personality flaws" that ruin the game experience. I'd rather not deal with all of that, or deal with being rushed through the story because the other players are getting antsy, or just any of it. Sometimes, after working, I just want to be left alone and disappear into a fantasy world where I can do my own thing.

Sometimes I can team up if I have to, but like the dutchess von Awesome said, I don't like being forced into it, or having no viable alternative most of the time. That was the case with mirror lake and the end result was that I had to skip some dialogue just to keep up with the other players that were running through it or not interested in story.

I'd also like to point out one very large piece of condemning evidence to those of you that maintain that this game was meant for group play: every NPC addresses your character as though they were the only individual working on a given task. The entire story revolves around the premise that you, and only you, are one remarkable student going above and beyond. Never does Ambrose say "Thanks to your team" or "You and your group have done the impossible - " etc. If you find that hard to believe, review the opening sequence of the game where Ambrose personally selects you for admission to Ravenwood.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
Mythographer on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
I also prefer solo play. It's not a time issue for me, it's a matter of play style. I take my time and set up attacks, still use minions (I just finished soloing Avalon) and generally play it safe - which takes time and not everyone is very patient. On top of that, most people that I've run into have... uh... let's say "personality flaws" that ruin the game experience. I'd rather not deal with all of that, or deal with being rushed through the story because the other players are getting antsy, or just any of it. Sometimes, after working, I just want to be left alone and disappear into a fantasy world where I can do my own thing.

Sometimes I can team up if I have to, but like the dutchess von Awesome said, I don't like being forced into it, or having no viable alternative most of the time. That was the case with mirror lake and the end result was that I had to skip some dialogue just to keep up with the other players that were running through it or not interested in story.

I'd also like to point out one very large piece of condemning evidence to those of you that maintain that this game was meant for group play: every NPC addresses your character as though they were the only individual working on a given task. The entire story revolves around the premise that you, and only you, are one remarkable student going above and beyond. Never does Ambrose say "Thanks to your team" or "You and your group have done the impossible - " etc. If you find that hard to believe, review the opening sequence of the game where Ambrose personally selects you for admission to Ravenwood.
Thank you. That is very well stated.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
I just think if more people would understand this isnt a solo game it would make things a bit easier. Even if most parts of the game can be soloed it still wasnt made for solo play.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
323
Well except for a few cheating bosses, I have not found the game to be that difficult. Every now an again I find that difficult duel, and that is great.
What I do not like are the mob fights where you know you are in for a 10 minute fight. The outcome is not in question. Only the length of time required. I have minimal time to play each day, and facing mobs over and over again is too much. The farther you go into the game (AV for me now) the more the fights consist of getting beaten up for 3-4 rounds, casting your spell, then a battle of attrition which I always win (death wiz).
Mob fights which require me to cast multiple attack all spells are just not my cup of tea. And I basically have to wait out the first 3-4 rounds for the mobs to use their pips before I start to buff, as to avoid earthquake and leviathan.
pods

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2645
Mythographer on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
I also prefer solo play. It's not a time issue for me, it's a matter of play style. I take my time and set up attacks, still use minions (I just finished soloing Avalon) and generally play it safe - which takes time and not everyone is very patient. On top of that, most people that I've run into have... uh... let's say "personality flaws" that ruin the game experience. I'd rather not deal with all of that, or deal with being rushed through the story because the other players are getting antsy, or just any of it. Sometimes, after working, I just want to be left alone and disappear into a fantasy world where I can do my own thing.

Sometimes I can team up if I have to, but like the dutchess von Awesome said, I don't like being forced into it, or having no viable alternative most of the time. That was the case with mirror lake and the end result was that I had to skip some dialogue just to keep up with the other players that were running through it or not interested in story.

I'd also like to point out one very large piece of condemning evidence to those of you that maintain that this game was meant for group play: every NPC addresses your character as though they were the only individual working on a given task. The entire story revolves around the premise that you, and only you, are one remarkable student going above and beyond. Never does Ambrose say "Thanks to your team" or "You and your group have done the impossible - " etc. If you find that hard to believe, review the opening sequence of the game where Ambrose personally selects you for admission to Ravenwood.
I wouldn't consider that condemning evidence.

The NPCs only address the single wizard, since it would be unneccesary programing to have the NPC's change their dialog for groups. There will always be at least a single player that completes the content to see the quest dialog. In other words, to have the NPCs address the team wouldn't make sense for the solo player. However, the reverse (as is) still works for both solo and group play.

However, there is evidence that KI intends for the game to be for groups:

"Wizard101 is interactive, social entertainment… and fun for the whole family!

Wizard101 is a multi-player adventure game designed to be easy-to-learn and fun for kids and adults of all ages. And because the game is designed to encourage social activity and interaction among the players, it’s a great form of entertainment for families."

https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe-game

A person can still choose to play solo and have fun, but there are four spaces in a dueling circle. Bosses are designed as group encounters. The game wasn't designed as a one person adventure.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
fireproof1111 on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I just think if more people would understand this isnt a solo game it would make things a bit easier. Even if most parts of the game can be soloed it still wasnt made for solo play.
Clarification.

Certain dungeons are obviously designed for teams of wizards. Ex: Tower of Helephant for wizards under level 70. Many other examples too.

Certain quests and dungeons are designed for solo play only. Only individual wizards are allowed to enter. Ex: Golem Tower and School Quests.

Crafting: solo effort only.

Gardening: solo effort only.

Pet taining: solo effort only.

Various Mini games: solo effort only.

Housing: solo effort only.

Pet Derby: multi-player (solo against others)

PvP: solo, team or multi-player (solo against others or team)

Conclusion: Some aspects are clearly intended for solo play while others are for team and multiplayer. The game is intended for several modes of game play.

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
56
Oran of Urz on Dec 26, 2012 wrote:
I wouldn't consider that condemning evidence.

The NPCs only address the single wizard, since it would be unneccesary programing to have the NPC's change their dialog for groups. There will always be at least a single player that completes the content to see the quest dialog. In other words, to have the NPCs address the team wouldn't make sense for the solo player. However, the reverse (as is) still works for both solo and group play.

However, there is evidence that KI intends for the game to be for groups:

"Wizard101 is interactive, social entertainment… and fun for the whole family!

Wizard101 is a multi-player adventure game designed to be easy-to-learn and fun for kids and adults of all ages. And because the game is designed to encourage social activity and interaction among the players, it’s a great form of entertainment for families."

https://www.wizard101.com/game/kid-safe-game

A person can still choose to play solo and have fun, but there are four spaces in a dueling circle. Bosses are designed as group encounters. The game wasn't designed as a one person adventure.
Good points, though I would counter that the later worlds are too difficult for children even with help from older siblings, friends and/or parents.

I don't think that the message of this thread is coming across correctly. I don't believe that anyone is saying that the entire game should be toned down so as to accommodate a solo play style. We're not asking that those that enjoy group play and difficult challenges be robbed of such - we're just commenting that, as the game progresses and develops, the choice to play solo becomes more and more difficult in an unbalanced way. It doesn't scale appropriately so as to take into account players that prefer solo play. That is, certain tasks seem to require teams whereas those of us that would prefer to solo are left in the dust. So, the request is that there be some sort of balancing act taken by the devs to restore a bit of the solo-ability of the game in later worlds.

We don't want the entire game to be made easier for everyone - we want to be able to play solo and move through the game as easily as a group would. Why should one choice be easier than the other? I don't see why dungeons can't be made to take into account the number of players entering via sigils, then "lock" the dungeon so that others can't teleport to them or something.

Would it really be that bad? Would it really take anything away from those that prefer to group up?

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
RottenHeart on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
Clarification.

Certain dungeons are obviously designed for teams of wizards. Ex: Tower of Helephant for wizards under level 70. Many other examples too.

Certain quests and dungeons are designed for solo play only. Only individual wizards are allowed to enter. Ex: Golem Tower and School Quests.

Crafting: solo effort only.

Gardening: solo effort only.

Pet taining: solo effort only.

Various Mini games: solo effort only.

Housing: solo effort only.

Pet Derby: multi-player (solo against others)

PvP: solo, team or multi-player (solo against others or team)

Conclusion: Some aspects are clearly intended for solo play while others are for team and multiplayer. The game is intended for several modes of game play.
Right some aspects of the game are soloed.
I know alot of people that started playing this game just to craft,garden,train pets,play minis,house.
Wait no i dont they start because its a wizard mmo then they do those things for fun after theyve begun the game thats right.

Let me clarify that " There are parts in wizard101 that you can solo in but the storyline is an MMO"
There we go thats more informative.

I want to address something about all of you that are out there asking for an easy mode, Alot of you are saying "what would it affect to have soloers being able to access the same things that a group can". Well it has been proven that some soloers can right now without a toned down easy mode, But to answer fairly i would like to point out that those that have achieved things in this game earned that.
If you want a real world scenario how about if you asked your boss to make a team job easier instead of you asking for normal help for the job, what do you think your boss would say.
Honestly if you have difficulty in this game ask for help or hire some. Those that achieve in this game deserves to be where their at because they made it whether it was solo or grouped they did it. How would that be fair making it easier for those of you that just dont want to group up.
If you cannot find a group due to scheduling i am sorry for that, If i need a soda at 4am but nothings open i guess im not getting my soda. Or do you think i could ask them to open the store up for me.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
Fireproof said:

Let me clarify that " There are parts in wizard101 that you can solo in but the storyline is an MMO"
There we go thats more informative.


Nope. Wrong again.

The storyline is single character focused. Storyline never addresses groups of players. All side quests that I am familiar with are also single character focused. The stories are all about you as an individual wizard performing tasks, never a group or team. Quest completion and rewards are not awarded to groups, only the individuals (the game never gives merit to a team in PvE). Additionally the stories completely ignore the fact that there are hundreds of other wizards running around simultaneously. Not a criticism, just a fact.

This game is clearly designed for solo and multiplayer gameplay. Suggestion otherwise is silly.

For someone that speaks with great authority please ensure your info makes sense.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
Mythographer on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
Good points, though I would counter that the later worlds are too difficult for children even with help from older siblings, friends and/or parents.

I don't think that the message of this thread is coming across correctly. I don't believe that anyone is saying that the entire game should be toned down so as to accommodate a solo play style. We're not asking that those that enjoy group play and difficult challenges be robbed of such - we're just commenting that, as the game progresses and develops, the choice to play solo becomes more and more difficult in an unbalanced way. It doesn't scale appropriately so as to take into account players that prefer solo play. That is, certain tasks seem to require teams whereas those of us that would prefer to solo are left in the dust. So, the request is that there be some sort of balancing act taken by the devs to restore a bit of the solo-ability of the game in later worlds.

We don't want the entire game to be made easier for everyone - we want to be able to play solo and move through the game as easily as a group would. Why should one choice be easier than the other? I don't see why dungeons can't be made to take into account the number of players entering via sigils, then "lock" the dungeon so that others can't teleport to them or something.

Would it really be that bad? Would it really take anything away from those that prefer to group up?
You are right. No one is saying the entire game and especially since the first Arc has already been toned down. I have not been in Cl in quite some time but, I have heard there were some changes made there. ZF was just down right tedious with all the "collect" quests that took more time than it should have. It would be nice to be able to do Mirror lake solo, but I highly doubt that will change. AV is for the most part can be soloed outside of some dungeons. Azteca seems to make a major jump when a solo battle sticks you with 3 or more in a single battle. We don't have a fighting chance when we die within a couple of rounds.

If we had had more side worlds along the way with NO level cap, better gear upgrades, Not to mention some of the spells recently just don't seem to fit the bill. Such as Spirit Guardian. I don't even load it. I would do better keeping my team mates alive with the heals my life wizard (which seems to be fizzing a lot lately) already has rather than waste 5 pips on this spell.

Many of us have to work with others on a daily basis. Sometime we just like to be able to do something ALONE.... I have no problem questing with and or helping friends and as with many of them, there are times we just like to go solo.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
2645
Mythographer on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
Good points, though I would counter that the later worlds are too difficult for children even with help from older siblings, friends and/or parents.

I don't think that the message of this thread is coming across correctly. I don't believe that anyone is saying that the entire game should be toned down so as to accommodate a solo play style. We're not asking that those that enjoy group play and difficult challenges be robbed of such - we're just commenting that, as the game progresses and develops, the choice to play solo becomes more and more difficult in an unbalanced way. It doesn't scale appropriately so as to take into account players that prefer solo play. That is, certain tasks seem to require teams whereas those of us that would prefer to solo are left in the dust. So, the request is that there be some sort of balancing act taken by the devs to restore a bit of the solo-ability of the game in later worlds.

We don't want the entire game to be made easier for everyone - we want to be able to play solo and move through the game as easily as a group would. Why should one choice be easier than the other? I don't see why dungeons can't be made to take into account the number of players entering via sigils, then "lock" the dungeon so that others can't teleport to them or something.

Would it really be that bad? Would it really take anything away from those that prefer to group up?
I haven't disagreed that solo play has become more and more difficult, I just simply offered a counterpoint to your "KI intends this game to be solo" comment. They clearly advertise this game as a group effort (even if the fun for all ages bit no longer applies at the end-game).

"I don't see why dungeons can't be made to take into account the number of players entering via sigils, the "lock" the dungeon so that others can't teleport to them or something."

First, the game already has this mode. Anytime you quest for a new spell, you have to do it solo. The game and the designers clearly know how many players have entered the gauntlet.....just one. The current problem is that the enemies in Azteca have lots of pips to start the battle off, use big spells, and usually come in groups of three. So changing the dungeon mechanics is unecessary...the difficulty clearly lies with the enemies and their "advantages." Even groups are being tested to the limits (and to me personally...should be the real litmus test for dificulty in a multi-player game).

Second, if everyone had a choice between a solo or group version of a dungeon how many people would choose the group version? As I indicated above, KI clearly intended this game to encourage group play. You can't do that if the majority of the population chooses solo dungeons. Other games have made it work (like Dungeons and Dragons...where the incentive to do the group/harder version is better rewards). KI hasn't adopted that system, but sort of brushes it with optional dungeons like ToTH and Waterworks. However, the difficulty of those dungeons seems to have been exported into the main storyline. KI is clearly increasing the difficulty on purpose. I don't have answers on why, only theories in other threads.

Don't get me wrong..I'm not the more difficulty is good crowd. I'm a storyline player. If anything should be difficult in my mind, it should be more Krokotopia puzzles to engage me or engage my group (Zelda type stuff for groups), not drawn out battles that last longer. If I want every enemy I face to throw the kitchen sink at me...I go to the PvP arena.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
Fireproof said:

Let me clarify that " There are parts in wizard101 that you can solo in but the storyline is an MMO"
There we go thats more informative.


Nope. Wrong again.

The storyline is single character focused. Storyline never addresses groups of players. All side quests that I am familiar with are also single character focused. The stories are all about you as an individual wizard performing tasks, never a group or team. Quest completion and rewards are not awarded to groups, only the individuals (the game never gives merit to a team in PvE). Additionally the stories completely ignore the fact that there are hundreds of other wizards running around simultaneously. Not a criticism, just a fact.

This game is clearly designed for solo and multiplayer gameplay. Suggestion otherwise is silly.

For someone that speaks with great authority please ensure your info makes sense.
Wonder why on earth they ever released this game online and why they have 4 slots for battle cirlcles.
I might guess so people can play together as a multiplayer game. Otherwise they could have just sold a disk an been done with it.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Wonder why on earth they ever released this game online and why they have 4 slots for battle cirlcles.
I might guess so people can play together as a multiplayer game. Otherwise they could have just sold a disk an been done with it.
KI created the best FAMILY game ever to hit the internet. Yes, many play as a group but sometimes the adults like to SOLO for some quiet time and relaxation. Some just plain like to SOLO. I can do both. Some of us have regular daily lives that prevent us from meeting up with friends to quest as a group. There are times when my wizards have to sit for a while due to REAL life issues. When that happens, I will solo as much as I can and not drag my friends back from higher levels of the game just to help me catch up. I only ask for help when it is a dungeon/instance that I am not able to beat on my own. I will not hold friends back for all the little find this or collect that quests.

BUT, Players should not be forced to play in groups if they choose not to. When it gets to the point that I can not hold my own in a battle on this game, then it is time quit. I will not be forced to play in a group when I would just like to have time to myself.

Oh, and BTW, even a solo battle has 4 slots. So don't try to STEREOTYPE players because that is what is happening by forcing players into groups.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
lastdaysgunslinger on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Wonder why on earth they ever released this game online and why they have 4 slots for battle cirlcles.
I might guess so people can play together as a multiplayer game. Otherwise they could have just sold a disk an been done with it.
"This game is clearly designed for solo and multiplayer gameplay. Suggestion otherwise is silly."

Obviously the mmo aspect of the game is an attractive element to the game. Nobody on this thread is disputing that. But a quick observation of wizard behaviour outside of Wizard City is quite interesting. Looking around the majority of wizards are engaged in solo play. Observing the 'team battles' are mostly strangers that are working together momentarily, departing as quickly as they met.

As an older player I play at various times of day/night. Weird as it seems I enjoy observing my environment, even in virtual worlds. During the hours of 5pm-9pm EST I see the most amount of group activity. After 9PM the groups become more rare. By 11:30PM it is mostly individuals especially on weeknights. (comparing crowded realms). Some worlds seem dominated by solo players. Mooshu is a good example. Possibly because of running-around quests which aren't as suited to groups. I think most formal group activity in higher level worlds takes place in dungeons only because they are more suited to coordinated group activities.

Other aspects of the game that I pointed out as purely solo activities (previous post) may not be glamorous like the big battles but they do occupy a huge percentage of gamers time. Its very easy to spend more hours/week doing gardening, faming, crafting and pet training than actual questing.

This is why I say it is silly to say the game is not intended for both multiplayer and solo play. This game is designed for a wide range of game play styles and interests. Assuming everybody has the same interests as yourself and a couple of like-minded buddies is very limiting.

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
935
RottenHeart on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
"This game is clearly designed for solo and multiplayer gameplay. Suggestion otherwise is silly."

Obviously the mmo aspect of the game is an attractive element to the game. Nobody on this thread is disputing that. But a quick observation of wizard behaviour outside of Wizard City is quite interesting. Looking around the majority of wizards are engaged in solo play. Observing the 'team battles' are mostly strangers that are working together momentarily, departing as quickly as they met.

As an older player I play at various times of day/night. Weird as it seems I enjoy observing my environment, even in virtual worlds. During the hours of 5pm-9pm EST I see the most amount of group activity. After 9PM the groups become more rare. By 11:30PM it is mostly individuals especially on weeknights. (comparing crowded realms). Some worlds seem dominated by solo players. Mooshu is a good example. Possibly because of running-around quests which aren't as suited to groups. I think most formal group activity in higher level worlds takes place in dungeons only because they are more suited to coordinated group activities.

Other aspects of the game that I pointed out as purely solo activities (previous post) may not be glamorous like the big battles but they do occupy a huge percentage of gamers time. Its very easy to spend more hours/week doing gardening, faming, crafting and pet training than actual questing.

This is why I say it is silly to say the game is not intended for both multiplayer and solo play. This game is designed for a wide range of game play styles and interests. Assuming everybody has the same interests as yourself and a couple of like-minded buddies is very limiting.
That is true rotten. The game suits both solo and group play.
But it being listed as an MMO clearly shows it is a multiplayer game. Now thats not to say that people cant solo and have a great time. But honestly it was meant as a multiplayer game.
When i first started this game i didnt even group at all till past DS except the occasional person in battle at the same time, But when friends and family were playing i got back into group aspects at times.
This game should be fun for all and usually is. But you do have to accept that you can get further in game quicker with a group.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
DragonLady1818 on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
KI created the best FAMILY game ever to hit the internet. Yes, many play as a group but sometimes the adults like to SOLO for some quiet time and relaxation. Some just plain like to SOLO. I can do both. Some of us have regular daily lives that prevent us from meeting up with friends to quest as a group. There are times when my wizards have to sit for a while due to REAL life issues. When that happens, I will solo as much as I can and not drag my friends back from higher levels of the game just to help me catch up. I only ask for help when it is a dungeon/instance that I am not able to beat on my own. I will not hold friends back for all the little find this or collect that quests.

BUT, Players should not be forced to play in groups if they choose not to. When it gets to the point that I can not hold my own in a battle on this game, then it is time quit. I will not be forced to play in a group when I would just like to have time to myself.

Oh, and BTW, even a solo battle has 4 slots. So don't try to STEREOTYPE players because that is what is happening by forcing players into groups.
So you want KI to make the game easier so you can relax with some solo time?

No one is forcing anyone to group but if you cannot solo it yourself then you may need help. Thing is some can solo it. But the game wasnt meant for soloing.

Right correct , Why would a game company put 4 slots on solo battles. Because 4 slots is the regular code in the game not just one slot= Group oriented.

MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online , Please take a look at that mid word.
Its not MSO massively solo online right.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
192
RottenHeart on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
"This game is clearly designed for solo and multiplayer gameplay. Suggestion otherwise is silly."

Obviously the mmo aspect of the game is an attractive element to the game. Nobody on this thread is disputing that. But a quick observation of wizard behaviour outside of Wizard City is quite interesting. Looking around the majority of wizards are engaged in solo play. Observing the 'team battles' are mostly strangers that are working together momentarily, departing as quickly as they met.

As an older player I play at various times of day/night. Weird as it seems I enjoy observing my environment, even in virtual worlds. During the hours of 5pm-9pm EST I see the most amount of group activity. After 9PM the groups become more rare. By 11:30PM it is mostly individuals especially on weeknights. (comparing crowded realms). Some worlds seem dominated by solo players. Mooshu is a good example. Possibly because of running-around quests which aren't as suited to groups. I think most formal group activity in higher level worlds takes place in dungeons only because they are more suited to coordinated group activities.

Other aspects of the game that I pointed out as purely solo activities (previous post) may not be glamorous like the big battles but they do occupy a huge percentage of gamers time. Its very easy to spend more hours/week doing gardening, faming, crafting and pet training than actual questing.

This is why I say it is silly to say the game is not intended for both multiplayer and solo play. This game is designed for a wide range of game play styles and interests. Assuming everybody has the same interests as yourself and a couple of like-minded buddies is very limiting.
Attractive element to the game. Really did you just say that. Its the main element of the game.
When this game was being advertised i dont remember much about any of the solo aspects of the game being brought up except pets.

Many are strangers that part but they are still working together to defeat a mob/boss/foe.

Yes schedules differ from one to the next person i agree but that does not mean that groups donot form for common goals at anytime.

Correct again there are quite a few solo activities for people to do but again not really the game but more of side activities to create a world with less boredom when waiting for a group to form or quest to do or even just to not make you fall asleep from boredom.

I did mention that you are correct the game is geared for a wide range of playstyles and activity but is marketed as a MMO group game.

Hero
Jul 30, 2012
771
Not really sure the point of a bunch of posts here. Some clarification please. Are some people actually arguing that solo play is incorrect and not how the game should be played?

Earlier Fireproof said:

"...this isnt a solo game"
"...it still wasnt made for solo play"
"...the game wasnt meant for soloing."

I hope i'm not taking these statements out of context, but it appears that Fireproof is saying the game is not supposed to be played in a solo fashion. As a strong authority on the game Fireproof should be listened to.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2181
RottenHeart on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
Not really sure the point of a bunch of posts here. Some clarification please. Are some people actually arguing that solo play is incorrect and not how the game should be played?

Earlier Fireproof said:

"...this isnt a solo game"
"...it still wasnt made for solo play"
"...the game wasnt meant for soloing."

I hope i'm not taking these statements out of context, but it appears that Fireproof is saying the game is not supposed to be played in a solo fashion. As a strong authority on the game Fireproof should be listened to.
Actually, I do believe that is what they are saying.

Unfortunately, I have been playing this game a lot longer than he has and I have NEVER at any time seen anything specifically stated by KI that we can not solo if that is our play style. Playing and questing with friends is great fun and I enjoy it. But I like to solo too at my own pace instead of just flying through the game like some do AND to prove to myself what my wizards are capable of doing. Frankly I don't feel it is fair to my friends to constantly babysit my wizards so she can catch up with theirs. I do ask for help if and when I think I need it.

I am tired of hearing this is a MMO game. I KNOW that. I knew that when I started playing.