Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Deck Management for higher levels

AuthorMessage
Champion
Jun 30, 2009
I was reading some of the comments for Feedback Friday on the 7th, and read an interesting post by Hannah Lifebringer that had said she doesn't use all the slots in her deck.

The reason I am asking this question is because after the last potion was used in battling Young Morganthe as Merle Ambrose's assistant, I was gonna give up, but I cast the final spell that took her down and our team advanced to Sir Mallory.

As much as I am amazed at what the minds of KI are coming up with, I have been somewhat off my game since that battle and waver between fights about staying or fleeing.

If anyone, including Hannah Lifebringer, could "school me" in what I am doing wrong, I would be more than happy to get a list of what spells I have, and how many are in my Calendar Deck.

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 82) Cenote, Azteca

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
You must have a strategy and not just throw cards in blindly. Use a system that lets you build for a very large attack but also plan for problems.
Ive seen a few threads on here about people saying they want larger decks and i cant understand why. I probably have 15-25 slots used in my deck at a given time, Depending whether its a mob fight or boss fight.

Survivor
Nov 10, 2011
fireproof1111 on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
You must have a strategy and not just throw cards in blindly. Use a system that lets you build for a very large attack but also plan for problems.
Ive seen a few threads on here about people saying they want larger decks and i cant understand why. I probably have 15-25 slots used in my deck at a given time, Depending whether its a mob fight or boss fight.
I agree with fireproof1111. Back in Dragonspyre and before, I used all of the space in my deck, and threw in pretty much every card that I had to be "prepared" for any scenario. I was completely wrong on that. The more cards that you have in your deck, the harder it is to get the card that you need to win or even just stay alive, for that matter.

For example, let's say you're super low on health, and you have three Satyrs in your deck. Assuming that you have the Calendar Stone Cards deck and that you have completely filled your deck and your Treasure Card side deck, you would probably have around 106 cards, and even when you don't count your side deck and extra wand/amulet type spells, you probably have around 50-60 cards that you still haven't used in the fight. That means you have around a 6% chance to get the card that you need to survive, the same chance you have of getting a bulls-eye on a dart board from 100 feet away. (Over-exaggeration, I know, but it's to get the idea in your head) This is why nowadays, lots of people minimize their deck.

Now let's put you in the same situation, but change it up a bit. Let's say that you minimized your deck, taking out all of the cards that you aren't going to need for that battle, and only put in what you need. You would probably have around 10-15 cards in your main deck, and even if you included your extra cards and your Treasure Cards, you would have around 60. So, if you're in that same situation again, you have around a 30% chance of getting one of those Satyrs, which is much better than 6%!

One other reason that using all of your deck isn't necessary is because of the card Reshuffle. If you have a Reshuffle, you can get back all of the cards that you've used, duplicate them, et cetera, and it basically serves that function I talked about earlier of being prepared.

Don't feel bad that you didn't already know this. It's just something that every one encounters at a different time, but just because you found it out later than someone else did, it doesn't mean that you were completely wrong. Besides, it's better to learn it late than never learn it at all.

On a side note, fireproof1111, I believe that the reason experienced people want bigger decks is so that they can have more Treasure Cards and copies of cards, not that they want to have more cards. For the less experienced, well... they probably want more cards.

Anyway, so all you really need to do Oxnhorse is to figure out a minimalist strategy for mobs and bosses. I simply put in whatever I need to kill them, a couple of the best shields against them, a couple heals, and a Reshuffle, and I'm ready to go. Well, I've rambled on long enough.

May the forces of magic protect you on your journey through the Spiral,
-Daniel SoulWalker, Level 86 Archmage Sorcerer

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
It matters on your strategy. Many ice wizards will have larger decks so that they can keep the battle going for a while. Storm Wizards might have smaller deck because their attacks will kill much quicker. I am an ice and I have giant deck. Every slot is filled. If you tell us your school, deck, and spells then i can give you exactly how I would do it for your school and your spells.

William Nightmancer Archmage Ice

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
fireproof1111 on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
Fireproof,

One reason is it gives a wizard options with having a larger deck, because I have actually ran out of cards and had a minion that was throwing everything she had at the Mimir in Hrundle Fjord, that I was using up my Treasure Cards trying to battle. Luckily, Mimir ignored my minion, because I ended up winning.

As I have progressed through spells, I try to keep the best and most powerful of my cards, as well as figuring out how to spawn blades as fast as my team members. I have 3 or 4 of the Ice blades and Spears and about 5 of the Ice-Fire-Storm blades.

Another problem is the Astral spells. I have Fortify, Amplify, Vengeance and Colossal; but Amplify has always been one that seems to be a magnate to enemies to blast me with the highest spells, so I don't use it. I have three of the Fortify and Vengeance and have maxed out the Colossals (I think 7), but something seems wrong.

I also have Life up to Satyr and Death up to Feint; but I don't understand why I am having problems. It was also necessary to get Fire Shield and Quench, so that when I was battling the Jabberwock, I could survive.

With such a wide variety of school spells, I don't understand why my strategy is off.

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 83) bouncing between Avalon, Pet Pavilion and The Hall of Plumage in Mangrove Marsh

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Mukurkur on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
It matters on your strategy. Many ice wizards will have larger decks so that they can keep the battle going for a while. Storm Wizards might have smaller deck because their attacks will kill much quicker. I am an ice and I have giant deck. Every slot is filled. If you tell us your school, deck, and spells then i can give you exactly how I would do it for your school and your spells.

William Nightmancer Archmage Ice
William, I have a max on my Mammoths, alongside my Pet Mammoth, 3 or 4 each of the blades and spears, including Elemental blades, I have all the star or sun spells up to Colossal, but max out those. I have three shields and 2 towers, 4 snow angels, 1 of the Ice Fingers, 3 pixies and satyrs, 2 or 3 feints, a max on the fire shields. I also have 1 spirit armor and the sword of kings as my wand. I also have 3 or 4 each of the Fortify and Vengeance spells to hopefully hit more criticals. I also have 2 or 3 ice minions. Sorry, but this is off the top of my head at the moment.

Most of the time I have in my decks are for throw away usage, whether alone or in a group to help heal others so they don't run the risk of being unable to pop back in.

Next time I hop back home, I will give you a more accurate listing, but this is basic for me, and I also max my treasure cards with Life Guardians and Fire Dragons, since those two have been the best cards on side decks (I sell the universal storm giants, since I never seem to be able to have enough pips, even with as many as 10)

Timothy Pearlflower (Archmage Ice, Level 84), last seen jumping into Zulton Docks

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Promethean oxnhors... on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
Fireproof,

One reason is it gives a wizard options with having a larger deck, because I have actually ran out of cards and had a minion that was throwing everything she had at the Mimir in Hrundle Fjord, that I was using up my Treasure Cards trying to battle. Luckily, Mimir ignored my minion, because I ended up winning.

As I have progressed through spells, I try to keep the best and most powerful of my cards, as well as figuring out how to spawn blades as fast as my team members. I have 3 or 4 of the Ice blades and Spears and about 5 of the Ice-Fire-Storm blades.

Another problem is the Astral spells. I have Fortify, Amplify, Vengeance and Colossal; but Amplify has always been one that seems to be a magnate to enemies to blast me with the highest spells, so I don't use it. I have three of the Fortify and Vengeance and have maxed out the Colossals (I think 7), but something seems wrong.

I also have Life up to Satyr and Death up to Feint; but I don't understand why I am having problems. It was also necessary to get Fire Shield and Quench, so that when I was battling the Jabberwock, I could survive.

With such a wide variety of school spells, I don't understand why my strategy is off.

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 83) bouncing between Avalon, Pet Pavilion and The Hall of Plumage in Mangrove Marsh
Ox reshuffle is the answer to that .

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Promethean oxnhors... on Dec 21, 2012 wrote:
William, I have a max on my Mammoths, alongside my Pet Mammoth, 3 or 4 each of the blades and spears, including Elemental blades, I have all the star or sun spells up to Colossal, but max out those. I have three shields and 2 towers, 4 snow angels, 1 of the Ice Fingers, 3 pixies and satyrs, 2 or 3 feints, a max on the fire shields. I also have 1 spirit armor and the sword of kings as my wand. I also have 3 or 4 each of the Fortify and Vengeance spells to hopefully hit more criticals. I also have 2 or 3 ice minions. Sorry, but this is off the top of my head at the moment.

Most of the time I have in my decks are for throw away usage, whether alone or in a group to help heal others so they don't run the risk of being unable to pop back in.

Next time I hop back home, I will give you a more accurate listing, but this is basic for me, and I also max my treasure cards with Life Guardians and Fire Dragons, since those two have been the best cards on side decks (I sell the universal storm giants, since I never seem to be able to have enough pips, even with as many as 10)

Timothy Pearlflower (Archmage Ice, Level 84), last seen jumping into Zulton Docks
I had revised my deck before I managed to buy the Drawer of Secrets Deck with an extra 20 points of health. My deck has a mixture of Ice, Sun, Life Star, Death and Balance; along with additional ones from my equipment and Pet.

My deck has 50 out of 64 main cards: [ICE] Ice Prism (2), Ice Blade (3), Ice Spear (3), Mass Ice Prism (3), Ice Guardian (2), Snow Angel (4), Snow Shield (1), Stun Block (1), Tower Shield (2), Woolly Mammoth (4), [SUN] Colossal (6), [LIFE] Pixie (4), Satyr (3), [STAR] Fortify (3), Vengeance (3), [DEATH] Dream Shield (2), [BALANCE] Elemental Blade (3).

Additional spells that come from equipment are the Sword of Kings (my wand) with 4 Super Arctic Sting, and an Ice Trap (10%); my Amulet of the Third Sun has a Guiding Light (40%); and my Horned Helmet has a Elemental Trap (30%).

And Duke Morgan my Woolly Mammoth pet gives me 1 Stampeding Mammoth.

As long as I am playing out in the open in Azteca, I seem to do fine, but when inside battling the Hungry Dead I never have enough cards. Instead of 50, should I be using 55 or 60, as long as I max out my blades or spear?

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 85) in the Zocalo

Explorer
Sep 17, 2008
People that use less than a full deck most likely also use reshuffle - either the spell itself or the treasure card. It's a bit costly though, so I don't use it.

What you really seem to be lacking is a clear path to victory. A winning strategy is what you want - shields and healing are meant to only keep you alive while you execute your strategy. As an ice mage, your gear should give you some universal resistance. That + tower shield should be enough, but if you want to err on the side of caution then remove all star spells save for fortify and use that to further enhance your defense.

I notice that you didn't really mention traps aside from feint. I suggest using two traps and two blades, then attack. After that, heal if needed, shield if the enemy has a lot of pips, then blade-trap-blade-trap-attack.

If you are questing to kill X number of mobs, then shift your strategy: bubble for damage instead of traps, then blade-blade-multi target spell (Blizzard, frost giant). Obviously, use mass prisms if you're facing ice mobs.

That's usually how I handle things, unless I'm playing my myth archmage.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
Mythographer on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
People that use less than a full deck most likely also use reshuffle - either the spell itself or the treasure card. It's a bit costly though, so I don't use it.

What you really seem to be lacking is a clear path to victory. A winning strategy is what you want - shields and healing are meant to only keep you alive while you execute your strategy. As an ice mage, your gear should give you some universal resistance. That + tower shield should be enough, but if you want to err on the side of caution then remove all star spells save for fortify and use that to further enhance your defense.

I notice that you didn't really mention traps aside from feint. I suggest using two traps and two blades, then attack. After that, heal if needed, shield if the enemy has a lot of pips, then blade-trap-blade-trap-attack.

If you are questing to kill X number of mobs, then shift your strategy: bubble for damage instead of traps, then blade-blade-multi target spell (Blizzard, frost giant). Obviously, use mass prisms if you're facing ice mobs.

That's usually how I handle things, unless I'm playing my myth archmage.
Thanks Angelmage,

I really don't need the Vengeance to soup up attacks for reaching Critical? I seen at least one other mention the Reshuffle, seems like I might get it since I have 3 training points and usually get the sun spells like Giant....Colossal as buffs for my attacks. Each time I got the newer one, I have used the strategy of replacing the older one like Giant with Monstrous, so that I upgrade the attack strength.

Like I said before, I have Amplify, but the baddies attack me with stronger spells. I will see about reducing my blades and spears, and adding in traps. Still, should I have about 55 to 60 out of 64?

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 85) in the Cenote

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Promethean oxnhors... on Dec 23, 2012 wrote:
Thanks Angelmage,

I really don't need the Vengeance to soup up attacks for reaching Critical? I seen at least one other mention the Reshuffle, seems like I might get it since I have 3 training points and usually get the sun spells like Giant....Colossal as buffs for my attacks. Each time I got the newer one, I have used the strategy of replacing the older one like Giant with Monstrous, so that I upgrade the attack strength.

Like I said before, I have Amplify, but the baddies attack me with stronger spells. I will see about reducing my blades and spears, and adding in traps. Still, should I have about 55 to 60 out of 64?

Timothy Pearlflower (Ice Archmage, Level 85) in the Cenote
Reshuffle is key. You can have a staple strategy using blade/trap/buff/attack rinse and repeat continuously.

When i play storm i basically shield/blade/blade/mass trap/tempest that attack will net me anywhere from 2600-4600 damage depending on stats. thats in 4ish rounds.
So storm deck has 3 shield,3 blade,3 blade, 3 mass, 3 galvanic field, 6 tempest, 1 reshuffle= 22 cards.

My fire i blade/meteor blade/meteor ............. so thats between 1000-3000 every other round depending on stats.
Fire deck 4 shield, 4 blade, , 4 furnace, 6 meteor, 1 reshuffle = 19 cards

life blade/blade/trap/trap/forest lord which usually is around 1000-2500 every 4 rounds.
Life deck 3 blades,3 blades,3 traps,3 traps,3 satyr, 1 rebirth ,6 forest lord= 22 cards

I do use astral schools occasionally but i like my strategy its fairly fast and it works for me.
now these are just for mobs of course, bosses are quite different battles.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I had revised my deck before I managed to buy the Drawer of Secrets Deck with an extra 20 points of health. My deck has a mixture of Ice, Sun, Life Star, Death and Balance; along with additional ones from my equipment and Pet.

My deck has 50 out of 64 main cards: [ICE] Ice Prism (2), Ice Blade (3), Ice Spear (3), Mass Ice Prism (3), Ice Guardian (2), Snow Angel (4), Snow Shield (1), Stun Block (1), Tower Shield (2), Woolly Mammoth (4), [SUN] Colossal (6), [LIFE] Pixie (4), Satyr (3), [STAR] Fortify (3), Vengeance (3), [DEATH] Dream Shield (2), [BALANCE] Elemental Blade (3).

Additional spells that come from equipment are the Sword of Kings (my wand) with 4 Super Arctic Sting, and an Ice Trap (10%); my Amulet of the Third Sun has a Guiding Light (40%); and my Horned Helmet has a Elemental Trap (30%).

As long as I am playing out in the open in Azteca, I seem to do fine, but when inside battling the Hungry Dead I never have enough cards. Instead of 50, should I be using 55 or 60, as long as I max out my blades or spear?

If you haven't already, you should train Reshuffle, which you can find in Colossus Blvd, near Mindy (Pixiecrown?)

I'm a Promethean Ice, who has finished Azteca. I tried to keep as small a deck as I could throughout the world.

Depending on how high your resist is, no shields or Tower shields should do you just fine. I never use Fortify or Vengeance. Critical in this game after Celestia is pretty much useless, since mobs and bosses block it almost every time.

For the mobs in Azteca, I usually have 9 to 15 cards, depending on what I was fighting. For bosses, I had around 24 cards, especially for the dungeons after Alto Alto.

Frost Giant is your friend, and is pretty essential for mobs and bosses. I never carry Mammoth, as it takes too many pips. Instead, I will throw in Ice Colossus, which I can use with less pips, and with the right buffing, can hit from 5,000+ to more than 30,000+.

Basic mobs (before Alto Alto), 1-Blizzard, 2-Frost Giant, 2-Ice Blades, 3-Colossal, 1-Tri Blade (additional if necessary 1-Stun Block, 1-Reshuffle, 1-Fairy, and a few low pip spells in the TC). This can be adjusted slightly, according to the type of mob you're fighting. Myth and Storm might require one more Frost Giant, and maybe a trap or two)

Basic bosses (before Lord of Winter spell): 1-Blizzard, 3-Frost Giant, 3-Ice Colossus, 4-Ice Blades, 3-Tri-Blades, 3-Tri-Traps, 2-Ice Traps, 2-Feint, 2-Fairy, 5-Colossal, 1-Reshuffle. TC's include additional traps and remove charm)

Once you have Potent Trap and the Blade enhancement spells, put one each in for mobs, and one or two each in for bosses.

Of course, each player is different, but this is my basic deck, and this is what I used throughout Azteca (and I soloed the entire world). There were a few tweaks along the way, but it all depends on who you are fighting. Fire? (easy), Myth, Storm? (stun), Death or Balance? (nasty charms against you), etc etc. Use the basics, then build on that, but try to keep your deck small. You can always use reshuffle if you find yourself stuck in a pickle!

Hope this helps!!!!

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Yes imho smaller decks do way better than larger for mob battles. Its much easier having a set strategy and using it again an again. Packing a reshuffle is the best thing to do so you can continue with your strategy if running low.
If i have a 20 card deck i will get my killer combo before someone using a 30/40/50/60/70 card deck which means ending the battle sooner.
I have noticed alot of people using large decks are the same people expressing how long battles take, To me that is a sign right there. Most of my mob battles are done by round 5 unless a problem arises.
Now also another big thing to remember is you have to have enough health and resist so you dont need to use a ton of shields which will help clear your deck a bit. Most of my toons dont pack any shields and the ones that do only have 3 towers. I also dont use fortify because 15% isnt worth me losing a turn for.
And prisms only go in my deck if im fighting against same school. And pixie does not give enough benefit to have in my deck especially since pet uses it alot.

Explorer
Jun 03, 2012
I would like to thank all of you who have given their input to this subject. I am a level 78 fire wizard/in Avalon and a level 46 ice in Dragonspyre and this is fascinating to me as I have yet to feel I have a hang of how to arrange my deck. This has given me a lot of food for thought and excitement to give the "lean - mean" deck strategy a chance. I actually hadn't thought about many of the things you all put forward, and am really glad to have this information. I know I learn as I go along but this discussion has been invaluable - Thank you, thank you. thank you!

Sarai Thundergrove, Transcendent Pyromancer
Breken Thundergrove, Master Thaumaturge

Mastermind
Dec 11, 2011
Okay, well, this is one of those "what is YOUR game style" kind of things. Some people prefer to have very large decks. Some people prefer to have very small decks. Some people prefer to have many, many tower shields in their deck. Some people want many AoEs in their deck. It's up to you, and your strategy.

-Gtafreak101

Geographer
Feb 19, 2010
Eric Crowspear on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
Okay, well, this is one of those "what is YOUR game style" kind of things. Some people prefer to have very large decks. Some people prefer to have very small decks. Some people prefer to have many, many tower shields in their deck. Some people want many AoEs in their deck. It's up to you, and your strategy.

-Gtafreak101
Agreed

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
SaraiT828 on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
I would like to thank all of you who have given their input to this subject. I am a level 78 fire wizard/in Avalon and a level 46 ice in Dragonspyre and this is fascinating to me as I have yet to feel I have a hang of how to arrange my deck. This has given me a lot of food for thought and excitement to give the "lean - mean" deck strategy a chance. I actually hadn't thought about many of the things you all put forward, and am really glad to have this information. I know I learn as I go along but this discussion has been invaluable - Thank you, thank you. thank you!

Sarai Thundergrove, Transcendent Pyromancer
Breken Thundergrove, Master Thaumaturge
It always makes me feel good when information on the boards can really help someone ....

Another piece of information that might help would be to have more than one deck in your backpack. Some players have two decks, while others will have more. With two decks, one is set up for mobs, and the other is set up for bosses. That way, you don't have to keep adding or deleting so many cards. Each deck can be tweaked slightly depending on the mob or boss you're fighting.

In the end, deck setup is up to the individual player and their play-style.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010
Promethean oxnhors... on Dec 21, 2012 wrote:

If possible also tell me the name of the deck so i can see how many cards you are allowed to put in and maybe advise you to get a better deck (I have the Winter Pyramid Deck). For the thing with your tc, power pips only count as one pip for schools out of yours.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Eric Crowspear on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:

-Gtafreak101
In my experiences with the game and players that like excessive spells in their deck they tend to get frustrated with not being able to contribute in battles because they are waiting on the card(s) to come up.

In earlier worlds deck set up is not as important as when you reach the second arc. As game play steps up you need to consider deck set up as important as gear selection to get by.

On the other hand if you always travel in a group this does become less important if others in that group keep a better deck set up. We took a family member though much of the game this way - being storm she could of one hit most of the spiral but because of poor deck management we couldn't wait long enough for her to get the cards to come up in the order needed. Even though I told her how it would help to shorten her deck up a bit she felt to insecure doing that.

For me it starts to become a math problem - how much damage do I need in my deck to defeat the monsters in the area I am questing. I start running 2 decks in DS - one for mobs one for bosses. It is more work but does seem to make the game flow better.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2010

First off if possible get the Winter's Pyramid Deck it has the same deck options and gives more health. I would take out your ice prisms and mass ice prisms unless you are fighting ice enemies. Then when you fight ice enemies put in mass ice prism. This is how i set up my deck.

My deck has 64 out of 64 main cards: [ICE] Ice Trap (4), Ice blade (4), Ice spear (2), Snow Angel (6), Tower Shield (8), Lord of Winter (6) (since you do not have this spell do 6 mammoths), Tower Shield (2), [SUN] colossal (6), Sharpened blade (3), Potent trap (3) [LIIFE] Satyr (4), [STAR] Fortify (2), Sleet Storm (3), [BALANCE] Reshuffle (2), Elemental blade (2)

Your sideboard spells are fine.

A couple things, first i sometimes change my deck depending on the fight. When i fight ice enemies i will take out a few tower shields, one lord of winter, and one snow angel. And switch them with mass ice prism. Also go ahead and spend a training point on reshuffle (i got mine when a boss dropped it so i dont know who train the spell) reshuffle is a great spell and if you have 2 discard the first one that comes ino your hand then use the second one you will get unlimited cards. If i am in bigger groups i will take out 2 tower shields and put in 2 legion shields. Also if you want a more offensive or more defensive deck tell me and i will tell you one.

Hope i helped.

William Nightmancer Promethean Thaumaturge