Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Death Wizard or Fire Wizard?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 12, 2017
So I want all your opinions! Who is stronger over all? Death Wizard or Fire Wizard? Also what do each have an advantage over one another and weaknesses. Also Who do you think is the strongest type of wizard out of all wizards.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
ThyLysander on Feb 14, 2017 wrote:
So I want all your opinions! Who is stronger over all? Death Wizard or Fire Wizard? Also what do each have an advantage over one another and weaknesses. Also Who do you think is the strongest type of wizard out of all wizards.
In my opinion, fire wizards. They have an extremely high advantage in terms of doing high amounts of damage in a short amount of time.

I've seen many fire wizards do more damage quickly by spamming critical fire elves and power links than a bladed skeleton dragon would.

The highest weakness for fire definitely being their survivability. Death has many resources to buff and keep themselves as well as other wizards alive with dark pact, bad juju, their drains, and sacrifice just being a few.

Out of all wizards? Biased depending on the person but you'll almost never die as an ice wizard as far as I can tell. Especially at high levels, by then, damage is not really an issue.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 75+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Survivor
Feb 12, 2017
thelastdiviner on Feb 15, 2017 wrote:
In my opinion, fire wizards. They have an extremely high advantage in terms of doing high amounts of damage in a short amount of time.

I've seen many fire wizards do more damage quickly by spamming critical fire elves and power links than a bladed skeleton dragon would.

The highest weakness for fire definitely being their survivability. Death has many resources to buff and keep themselves as well as other wizards alive with dark pact, bad juju, their drains, and sacrifice just being a few.

Out of all wizards? Biased depending on the person but you'll almost never die as an ice wizard as far as I can tell. Especially at high levels, by then, damage is not really an issue.

Hm, now im a bit more sceptical about switching from fire to death wizard. I wanted to try something new but i also heard death is stronger. Think I made a mistake and downgraded?

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
ThyLysander on Feb 15, 2017 wrote:
Hm, now im a bit more sceptical about switching from fire to death wizard. I wanted to try something new but i also heard death is stronger. Think I made a mistake and downgraded?
There are no mistakes in choosing a wizard school Honestly, they're all fun and like I said, damage isn't really an issue among them all. I myself am happy with both my fire and death.

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
I think the biggest weakness for death is the lack of a 4 pip AOE vs fires Meteor Strike. In quick fights, fire probably has an advantage damage wise. In longer fights Death probably wins out with scarecrow.

One weakness (or strength depending on enemy) of death spells is that the healing is directly related to the damage dealt...whereas fire links/power links are completely independent on damage done. Which means if I fight something that resists fire I can still get the most out of my heals even if I don't do much damage...whereas death spells lose that healing power against resistant opponents.

I think the biggest weakness I find in fire (though its a strength at times) is that sometimes you are forced to do slow kills...meaning long running DoT battles instead of one hit devastation type battles. I have literally had 30-40 minute battles with some of the more annoying bosses because I had to elf/link them to death. Fighting with links and elves effectively stop you from building up blades and traps for a super destructive power attack.

Survivor
Jul 01, 2016
Honestly, I would choose death. i used to have a death Level 43 and death can heal allot at a time and take little damage (sacrifice) and its powerful not as powerful as storm thou. Fire is pretty good but at a high level only.

Delver
May 12, 2012
thelastdiviner on Feb 16, 2017 wrote:
There are no mistakes in choosing a wizard school Honestly, they're all fun and like I said, damage isn't really an issue among them all. I myself am happy with both my fire and death.

Agreed with thelastdiviner, they are all engaging to quest through for different reasons. I have made bunch of wizards & have a free account that I often test new strategies with different schools. So it's completely your choice :D

Survivor
Nov 07, 2015
I have a level 70 death, and I must say I soloed 90% of the game, which is good, only bad part is your first AOE is at level 48 (crow). I also have a level 52 fire, would be maxed but it's hard
In Celestia, i die Wayyy too much for me to of continued so I did my death
10/10 death

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I have a Death level 70 and a Fire at level 115, working her way through Mirage.

Most of the folks above have listed the advantages/disadvantages of both.

Fire does a lot of damage, can heal themselves a little, and can burn up shields. Fire gear usually provides accuracy boosts such that fizzles aren't a problem by level 40 or so. Fire is a very easy school to solo with, as long as you train some Life or Death spells to maintain your health. Fire is also a popular choice to be the 'hammer' on teams.

Death can do a lot of damage, but needs to set up more blades/traps in order to do so. Death can heal themselves very easily and do have the ability to remove shields with Poison, Black Widow & Deer Knight. Death is easy to solo, but they also make great team players because of all their manipulations and universal blade (Dark Pact) plus the Feint and Curse traps. If you're Death & want an AoE earlier than Scarecrow (at level 48), train Fire, Myth, Ice or Balance as your second school.

Though Balance is my main wizard, Fire and Death are my two second favorites and I honestly can't tell you which one I like better. Probably Death is better at switch-hitting between solo and group play, but otherwise they're both great choices.

Alia Misthaven
Rowan Ashcloud
Fallon Raven

Survivor
Feb 12, 2017
Freshta on Feb 19, 2017 wrote:
I have a Death level 70 and a Fire at level 115, working her way through Mirage.

Most of the folks above have listed the advantages/disadvantages of both.

Fire does a lot of damage, can heal themselves a little, and can burn up shields. Fire gear usually provides accuracy boosts such that fizzles aren't a problem by level 40 or so. Fire is a very easy school to solo with, as long as you train some Life or Death spells to maintain your health. Fire is also a popular choice to be the 'hammer' on teams.

Death can do a lot of damage, but needs to set up more blades/traps in order to do so. Death can heal themselves very easily and do have the ability to remove shields with Poison, Black Widow & Deer Knight. Death is easy to solo, but they also make great team players because of all their manipulations and universal blade (Dark Pact) plus the Feint and Curse traps. If you're Death & want an AoE earlier than Scarecrow (at level 48), train Fire, Myth, Ice or Balance as your second school.

Though Balance is my main wizard, Fire and Death are my two second favorites and I honestly can't tell you which one I like better. Probably Death is better at switch-hitting between solo and group play, but otherwise they're both great choices.

Alia Misthaven
Rowan Ashcloud
Fallon Raven
Yeah i'm a level 25 Death wizard and i have 6 training points. I think i though invest all those points into fire as my secondary because death gives me health spells as well as high damage spells so im good on healthing. If I invest all points into fire ill hav even more damage spells and have meteor and sunbird for no as im only a level 25. Do you think this is a good idea or am I mistaken on a few things i said? you seem very knowledgeable in wizard 101 so im kinda pouring your with questions, sorry haha.

Defender
Aug 25, 2014
Don't invest your points on your death wizard into fire. It is not worth it and in later levels you want those points to go elsewhere. While you're low level, pick up scarecrow treasure cards. You can't use power pips for fire cards. That 4 pip firestorm is going to take more than scarecrow. That being said, I do have more spare training points on my death than on any other wizard due to not having to use them to train feint, so if you honestly feel the need to spend them in fire, its not going to hurt as much as other schools in the long run.

My fire wizard is level 70 and my death is 120. Fire was better in the lower levels, but death has been better in the higher levels. I can't say more than that since I am still leveling my Fire. Death excels at soloing. Ask yourself what you want to do. If you prefer solo, death is the choice. If you enjoy groups you have to go one step farther. How do you prefer to play? Are you going to be upset if you're not the one doing damage in the group? If so, you'll want to play fire. But if you don't mind offering support to a team, death gives you a chance to do both.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Hi ThyLysander,
I think combining Death with Fire as a second can work.

Tips to help you succeed: boost your accuracy as much as you can. The key to success is either hit hard and fast with Fire or, to set up a single, devastating hit/heal with Death. Almost always, you want to kill the weakest enemy first.

Use Meteor against low-level mobs, OR, when one mob is weak/near death - that way you can take the weak one out and damage the other one as well. You may want to pack Sacrifice or a Pixie in case your health dips too low - Fire spells won't heal you the way Death drains can.

Don't waste training points on Elemental Blades/Traps - your Curse and Feint will be fine. If you have access to Crowns, do buy a Fire mastery amulet. Also it won't hurt to farm or craft gems to see if you can get damage and accuracy boost gems. The Sky Iron Hasta is a guaranteed drop at level 30 in the Aquila dungeon. It gives a universal damage boost of 10%.

And last....

Before you spend training points, keep this in mind: if you plan to farm for the best gear, you will be restricted to Death damage only. Best farmed gear is Aquila (Zeus) at level 30, Waterworks at level 60, and these are truly the best in the game up until level 100. The Hollow Mountain (lvl 25) and Wolfminster Palace (lvl 40) dungeons also offer really good gear drops that will restrict you to death.

Furthermore, once you get to about level 50, you will probably stop using secondary school spells no matter what gear you have. Because of this, you might want to stop training Fire at Meteor Strike. It will serve you well until you get to level 48 and earn the Scarecrow AoE. After you have the Scarecrow you won't have a need for Meteor - and using non-drain spells will get very risky anyway.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
Rowan Ashcloud
Fallon Raven