Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

CyberBullying- Please help us stop it.

2
AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
1359
turbonator wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
goldendragon18 wrote:
Bullying is BULLYING no matter what the invironment. Unfortunately, there are some young players that do have chat even if it is filtered, the bully can still make it plain enough what they are saying. I have seen it happen and have reported for it.


Well I disagree, and I just stated why.

In fact, the person I reported was and ADULT. Now, how do you expect a younger player to be able to just go on and forget it happened? As adults, a lot of players can just walk away from it, but some of the newer players may not have learned how to use the IGNORE button.

And you know they're an adult because...? Unless the person explicitly said, "I'm an adult," you're just making assumptions, and even then are you really going to trust what that person said to be true? You do bring up a good point though. KI shouldn't just have these tools present without explaining them and how to use them. I suggest they add a tutorial.

Cyberbullying is a big problem and it is up to US, the WIZARD community to help KI by reporting it when we see it happening and if possible to help the one being bullied get away from the bullies. Try to get them to at least change realms.

The 25 million players of Wizard101 don't all come from the US. Just sayin'.

AkihiroHattori5, It would really be nice of you to help someone that is in this position. For all you know, the person being bullied may actually know the ones that bully them in real life. There should be some place they can play and have fun without this kind of thing happening.

I would, but I honestly haven't been in a situation like this.


AkihiroHattori5......... so we meet again. Why do you always point out everybody's faults? Mistakes? You know, you are cyber-bullying by doing this. Yes, I know that I have cyber-bullied before but ONLY when I actually have a point. I don't go around calling people noobs because for some reason it is a "hurtful" insult. LOL i don't really care if i am called a noob.............. ANYWAYS back on topic.

Why do you go to a CyberBullying- Please help us stop it. thread if YOU are just going to do just that (cyberbully)???

Tiffany Wildrider
"Think before you post......"

He isnt cyberbullying. He is just stating his opinion. And cyberbullying cant be stopped, if it could, then it would of happened by now.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2162
ssss55123 wrote:
Bully n. A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
1. To treat in an overbearing or intimidating manner.
2. To force one's way aggresively or by intimidation.

By that definition, Goldendragon isn't a bully, cyber or otherwise. He seems to be trying to get his point across. Discussing the matter, but not really bullying.

But, on the other hand, what I have seen many, many times in the Commons and in Olde Town, is bullying. I do try to step in when I see it.
It just seems that some feel they can say anything they want as long as they aren't having to look that person in the eye. No matter whether or not its hurtful or true, or if they know that person or not. They somehow feel more "powerful" (for lack of a better word) when they do so.
I have been bullied as a child and as an adult. It isn't nice to be on the receiving end of such behavior at any age. I remember when my sons were small, how I hurt when others deliberately would be hurtful to my children.
I do feel that we chronological adults need to step into these situations when we come across then in the game, if we feel that its out of hand.

Unfortunately, there will always be bullies in this world. those who feel if they go on the attack first, they can/will intimidate others to bend to their will.


ssss55123, as you can see, I have underlined one of your statements and made it bold as well. I really don't know where you got it that I was, I guess called a bully. Actually, no one has accused me of that. (I am a she, not a he).... At my age, I do have a tendancy to speak my mind, but I don't want to bully anyone. I am totally against bullying in real life as well as in a game.

I agree that, unfortunately there will always be bullies, but being able to maybe help even one player, may make them a good person when they get older and try to help someone else.

There is an old saying, "WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND" This happens to be very true. So as I said before, it is up to us, the wizard community to do what is right when we see this happening.....

Cologada, I too have played Runescape and a couple of others and saw the same things. I finally quit playing them. I also report these things in this game when I see them.

I do think KI needs to include in their beginning tutorial, the use of the REPORT and IGNORE buttons...... It is my guess that a lot of new players that are being bullied have not figured out just yet how to use those buttons.

Unfortunately, I also think that a lot of players have not really read the "Terms of Use and Code of Conduct".


Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
bookmark11 wrote:
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to come and talk about a serious problem in the game.
CyberBullying
I have the urge to type this post because I was in the commons recently to meet a friend of mine in real life. As i was waiting i saw a poor girl getting cyberbullied on this game by a group of people who were making fun of her weight because she had confined in a friend that she had weight problems i believe. They called her horrible horrible names and if i were in her boots i would have been crying. I know that you guys are going to say "Well if you get bullyed blah blah blah then you can just change realms or port out of there blah blah blah." But even though she did this those words will scar her for the rest of her gaming experience. And this is NOT a problem just occuring with immature children. A few adults are also bullies and if anything are much worse than the child bullies.


So after watching this awful display of CyberBullying occur i decided to test out a theory i had. I logged on to both of my accounts and pretended that my higher level wizard was making fun of my lower level wizard who was "crying" the entire time. To my shock, NO ONE even bothered to help the lower leveled wizard, a few wizards even JOINED in the fake taunting of my other lower leveled wizard by calling him a "noob" and such. And it wasnt like this occured in an isolated area in the game, this experement was conducted 3 times in the most populated realms of the commons.

Is this honestly what this game has come to? I am trying to raise awareness of CyberBullying on this game. Please fellow wizards assist me in keeping this game a safe, clean, and family fun game. I may be a kid but i can tell when something is wrong and CyberBullying is completely wrong! Next time you see someone getting cyberbullied, give them guidance, tell them to just ignore their bullier (not sure if thats a word lol) and please dont chew the bully out, two wrongs never make a right. Instead play pvp or help them with a quest or something to get their mind off it.
I hope reading this post has enlightened your view on CyberBullying and what you can do to stop it! We can do it! If all of us work together those bullies dont stand a chance!

Anthony Lifeheart
Level 51 Grandmaster Theurgist
Go Green!!!
I agree. Cyberbullying can never fall, ut it can be driven from this game! Stop the bullies! Save Wizard City!

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
292
To Goldendragon,

I'm sorry I mistook you for a male. My mistake.

I was actully trying to make the point to another poster that you weren't bullying anyone in these forums in my earlier statement.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2162
ssss55123 wrote:
To Goldendragon,

I'm sorry I mistook you for a male. My mistake.

I was actully trying to make the point to another poster that you weren't bullying anyone in these forums in my earlier statement.


Thank you.

(off topic)
Actually, in most cases it is hard to tell who is male or female. I chose that name because of a series of books I have read and the golden dragon was female.

(on topic)
I do think we can all make a difference against the bullying in this game. I know we won't be able to stop it, but at least we can try. Hopefully the ones that are doing it will realize we will report them and will take a different view of this behavior.


Survivor
May 12, 2009
21
Here are some rules I give my kids to live by online as I would irl.

Never give out personal info to anyone you meet online. Strangers are strangers and the same rules of "Stranger Danger" should apply on games as they should in our real lives. Stop sharing personal info. I've seen conversations that tell me that kids think they're "safe" when they play online games and it's ok to treat people they've known for all of five minutes as if they're old friends.

Never give out your home address, your age, your physical description, where your parents work, etc. All of this info is and should be off limits on game. What does knowing personal info have to do with game play.

Don't start gifting and you wont have to make enemies when you finally say no. Seen many arguments start because kids don't have the sense or guts to say no to beggers who aren't into playing the game but only want crown shop items. Just say no and walk away. Parents should set the "No gifting Option" that would be helpful to kids who are literally afraid they'll be deleted if they don't give in to gifting friends.

Here's something Wizard101 should and could do to aid in the goal to stop harassment and bullying: Remove the feature that lets people send messages to those not on their list. When you leave a realm to avoid problems, you sometimes get harassed by those who can't take no for an answer. Reporting doesn't work or help. Seen the same bullies day after day bullying people but they're never banned or reprimanded and they're bullying of other players continues.

Wizard101 needs to ban anyone who falsely reports another player. Read the chat logs and see what happened then ban. Refusing to help with quests, saying no to gifting or friendship, and kicking someone from your house aren't legit reasons to report people. Parents should tell their kids that and that should be the message displayed to people who are reporting others.


Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
2162
Dragonsflame3000 wrote:
Here are some rules I give my kids to live by online as I would irl.

Never give out personal info to anyone you meet online. Strangers are strangers and the same rules of "Stranger Danger" should apply on games as they should in our real lives. Stop sharing personal info. I've seen conversations that tell me that kids think they're "safe" when they play online games and it's ok to treat people they've known for all of five minutes as if they're old friends.

Never give out your home address, your age, your physical description, where your parents work, etc. All of this info is and should be off limits on game. What does knowing personal info have to do with game play.

Don't start gifting and you wont have to make enemies when you finally say no. Seen many arguments start because kids don't have the sense or guts to say no to beggers who aren't into playing the game but only want crown shop items. Just say no and walk away. Parents should set the "No gifting Option" that would be helpful to kids who are literally afraid they'll be deleted if they don't give in to gifting friends.

Here's something Wizard101 should and could do to aid in the goal to stop harassment and bullying: Remove the feature that lets people send messages to those not on their list. When you leave a realm to avoid problems, you sometimes get harassed by those who can't take no for an answer. Reporting doesn't work or help. Seen the same bullies day after day bullying people but they're never banned or reprimanded and they're bullying of other players continues.

Wizard101 needs to ban anyone who falsely reports another player. Read the chat logs and see what happened then ban. Refusing to help with quests, saying no to gifting or friendship, and kicking someone from your house aren't legit reasons to report people. Parents should tell their kids that and that should be the message displayed to people who are reporting others.



I have no problem with most of your statements.

But this one I do.

Here's something Wizard101 should and could do to aid in the goal to stop harassment and bullying: Remove the feature that lets people send messages to those not on their list. When you leave a realm to avoid problems, you sometimes get harassed by those who can't take no for an answer. Reporting doesn't work or help. Seen the same bullies day after day bullying people but they're never banned or reprimanded and they're bullying of other players continues.

If anything, maybe KI can add another button to disable this feature for young players. I and many others do use the feature to chat with others that are not on our lists. It does come in handy at times.

As for reporting, actually it does work. If you are seeing the same bullies day after day, they either have not been reported or they have not used the type of abuse that will get them banned. Unfortunately, some are able to create new accounts and resume their activities. Even if KI bans an IP address, it really is not hard to get a new one.

There is also the IGNORE button that should be used. That is a big option for players to not see anymore of the comments from those that are being bullies. This is one of the things I think KI should include in the tutorial so that everyone learns how to use it when necessary.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
47
turbanator... how could you possibly think he[akihirio] is cyberbullying?
I definitely agree with him. If this is cyberbullying, it is to the most less degree.
Is this the kind of bullying that makes people want to kill themselves?
No.
This is more annoyance that bullying.
He states his opinion that the kind of bullying that bookmark wrote about isn't real bullying.
I think so too.
Are little kids that say mean things bullies? When you have numerous defenses against them like ignoring them, turning of chat bubbles, and reporting if the offense is serious enough?
The real life situation. 99 out of 100 times it is a random stranger. There was never an explicit example of a wizard you know in real life bullying their peer. So, I think it is very safe to assume it is a stranger.
Akihiro did not find mistakes in someone else. He said that if a faceless stranger is saying bad things about you, and you can completely ignore them, then its not bullying. Its called being mean, which can be a part o bullying. Bullying, by definition, is an imbalance of power someone exploits to demean(replace with other words) another human being.
I agree with him completely.
You are being mean to him, by falsely accusing him of "Pointing out people's faults"
I am finding mistakes with your post, because I feel that it is downright prejudiced. Look up the definition.
Think before you post, turbonator [or whoever wrote that post, because I am pretty sure that it is you. ]


Defender
Nov 05, 2011
127
First off, that girl shouldn't have been telling her friend that she had weight problems. What stays outta the game stays outta the game, full stop.

Secondly, the girl should have ignored the people who were being mean to her, change realms, log out and log back in again to clear the chat window then forget all about it.

Thirdly, if you see someone calling someone a noob or something like that, either defend the victim or aviod it - no one has the right to join in with the bullying.

And finally, imagine what a wonderful universe we'd have if everyone didn't CyberBully each other in Wizard101. Think about what you're saying before you speak.

Jasmine IceBringer, defender of the noobs

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
turbonator wrote:
AkihiroHattori5......... so we meet again. Why do you always point out everybody's faults? Mistakes? You know, you are cyber-bullying by doing this. Yes, I know that I have cyber-bullied before but ONLY when I actually have a point. I don't go around calling people noobs because for some reason it is a "hurtful" insult. LOL i don't really care if i am called a noob.............. ANYWAYS back on topic.

Why do you go to a CyberBullying- Please help us stop it. thread if YOU are just going to do just that (cyberbully)???

Tiffany Wildrider
"Think before you post......"


I'm terribly sorry! I guess I missed the memo where giving constructive criticism and offering a different point of view on a topic was also deemed "cyberbullying". Not everyone is as perfect as you seem to think they are. Everyone has faults; therefore, everyone's ideas have faults. I just try and point out what's a fault in my opinion so that hopefully the person will take my criticism as well as the criticism of others into account and refine their ideas to be more lucid and effective. I honestly don't see the problem with that, but according to you my account should probably be shut down because by your definition I've been cyberbullying people ever since I started posting in the Forum. I always have a point and I try my hardest not to use disparaging language or insults, but that doesn't matter to you. In your opinion, I should be stopped before I cause any more irreversible damage to the members of this Forum. What verbal havoc will I wreak next?! Get over yourself. The next time I'm in the Forum and you don't like what I have to say, how about you save your groaning and ignore it? Chances are I'm not even responding to you in the first place.

Tristan Lionheart
"Whose advice is better to follow than your own?"
I believe what the person you've quoted was trying to say, is that sometimes haven't put things very gently. I've seen a number of threads where you have been a bit rude, and others where you attacked other posts without explanations. Also, to say "get over yourself" in such a manner isn't very respectful.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
report all cyber bullying, KI should take care of it after all cyber bullying is against U.S. law and KI could get into serious legal trouble if they don't take it seriously and something happened to anyone over it

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
Ronster55 wrote:

He isnt cyberbullying. He is just stating his opinion. And cyberbullying cant be stopped, if it could, then it would of happened by now.
It can be removed from this game, and that's what this thread is about. Let us remove the bullies from the Spiral! Make them know they aren't heard, and never will be! Then, their fall shall begin!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
bionaknight wrote:
I believe what the person you've quoted was trying to say, is that sometimes haven't put things very gently. I've seen a number of threads where you have been a bit rude, and others where you attacked other posts without explanations. Also, to say "get over yourself" in such a manner isn't very respectful.


How one can interpret an accusation of cyberbullying as a reminder to be "gentle" in this Forum I'll never know. That being said, why is it my responsibility to sugarcoat what I say in a Forum just because some people have paper-thin skin? I refuse to water down what I say anymore than I already do. You're not obligated to read my replies if you don't like how I say things (like turbonator has made very clear in a few threads I've frequented), and as long as the moderators see nothing terribly wrong with what I have say and the way I say it I don't see the issue. Also, I wasn't trying to be respectful when I said "get over yourself".

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
793
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
I believe what the person you've quoted was trying to say, is that sometimes haven't put things very gently. I've seen a number of threads where you have been a bit rude, and others where you attacked other posts without explanations. Also, to say "get over yourself" in such a manner isn't very respectful.


How one can interpret an accusation of cyberbullying as a reminder to be "gentle" in this Forum I'll never know. That being said, why is it my responsibility to sugarcoat what I say in a Forum just because some people have paper-thin skin? I refuse to water down what I say anymore than I already do. You're not obligated to read my replies if you don't like how I say things (like turbonator has made very clear in a few threads I've frequented), and as long as the moderators see nothing terribly wrong with what I have say and the way I say it I don't see the issue. Also, I wasn't trying to be respectful when I said "get over yourself".
Of course you don't have to "water down" anything. However, a basic rule of Netequitte (hopefully I spelled it right) is to respect your fellow poster/player/etc for their beliefs and religions. Nobody is accusing you of cyberbullying, but self restraint is a virtue. If you have heated words, that's fine, but try not to let them burn the thread!

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
bionaknight wrote:
Of course you don't have to "water down" anything. However, a basic rule of Netequitte (hopefully I spelled it right) is to respect your fellow poster/player/etc for their beliefs and religions. Nobody is accusing you of cyberbullying, but self restraint is a virtue. If you have heated words, that's fine, but try not to let them burn the thread!


Well apparently I do, or else I get comments like the one I replied to. I do respect my fellow player and realize that not everyone has the same beliefs as I do, but I feel people should realize that I have a right to disagree. It's not "cyberbullying" and it's not "mean". I feel I do have a great deal of self-restraint when it comes to this Forum (what did you think I meant by watering down?), and did you not notice the comment I was replying to? There's a big difference between paraphrasing and ignoring text.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
2080
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
bionaknight wrote:
I believe what the person you've quoted was trying to say, is that sometimes haven't put things very gently. I've seen a number of threads where you have been a bit rude, and others where you attacked other posts without explanations. Also, to say "get over yourself" in such a manner isn't very respectful.


How one can interpret an accusation of cyberbullying as a reminder to be "gentle" in this Forum I'll never know. That being said, why is it my responsibility to sugarcoat what I say in a Forum just because some people have paper-thin skin? I refuse to water down what I say anymore than I already do. You're not obligated to read my replies if you don't like how I say things (like turbonator has made very clear in a few threads I've frequented), and as long as the moderators see nothing terribly wrong with what I have say and the way I say it I don't see the issue. Also, I wasn't trying to be respectful when I said "get over yourself".


I agree with you completely AkihiroHattori5. People try and demand that things are done this way, or that way, or said this way, or that way.

The Moderators are the ones that have the final say on what is acceptable and what is not. However, some people want to call others names or call people "Trolls" or "CyberBullies"! Why? because you have a possible difference of opinion or a different view. So what, these people now want to force us to see things or say things their way, yet want to accuse other's of being bullies.

Being, abrupt, direct, brutally honest, or "Sounding Condecending" does not mean or constitute bullying. Having a difference of opinion or a different point of view and stating it, does not mean we are forcing those views on others, but trying to enlighten others of a possible side that might not have been seen before.

Champion
May 03, 2011
447
Being, abrupt, direct, brutally honest, or "Sounding Condecending" does not mean or constitute bullying. Having a difference of opinion or a different point of view and stating it, does not mean we are forcing those views on others, but trying to enlighten others of a possible side that might not have been seen before.

Telling people their contributions are worthless, that a forum or online space is better off without them, and that they should just leave, is cyberbullying. And that's why I have left this game. I guess this won't be posted, but I had to say it anyway. Because cyberbullying hurts a lot. And it has happened to me, right here. Today I dug up my plants and said goodbye to the game, because of this. Because it is very very hurtful, and has a lasting impact on the person who is victimized by it.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1473
darthjt wrote:
I agree with you completely AkihiroHattori5. People try and demand that things are done this way, or that way, or said this way, or that way.

The Moderators are the ones that have the final say on what is acceptable and what is not. However, some people want to call others names or call people "Trolls" or "CyberBullies"! Why? because you have a possible difference of opinion or a different view. So what, these people now want to force us to see things or say things their way, yet want to accuse other's of being bullies.

Being, abrupt, direct, brutally honest, or "Sounding Condecending" does not mean or constitute bullying. Having a difference of opinion or a different point of view and stating it, does not mean we are forcing those views on others, but trying to enlighten others of a possible side that might not have been seen before.


Exactly.

2