Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

crowns vs gold

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
First off, I would like to start by saying what a wonderful game KI has created! Congratulations for all the success that they have had and I hope will continue to have!

One of my main annoyances in the game is not a game flaw itself, but with other people.

I am more than willing to friend wizards of all ages and levels, as I am quite happy with having a chat and making new wizard friends. What annoys me is that when people port to my house and have a look at my things they always comment on how 'rich' I am and that I should gift them because I 'obviously' have lots of money. I have been playing this game for roughly 9 months I would think, and have managed to buy the large Marleybone house, the large Mooshu house, the small Wizard City house and furnishings for all three houses. I have even managed to furnish an entire room in my Mooshu house with wands from every school (including staffs, bows and generic wands). This has obviously cost a lot of money and time. It annoys me that people think that I got all of my things through crowns and that I should gift them so they can have things too.

I have played the game as intended and levelled up. If I need money I farm bosses to buy the things I want. I have several mounts paid for with gold.

I can't understand how people think the game is so unfair and tailored for people with real life money. All I have to say is that you need to stop being lazy and spend your time doing quests instead of expecting people to give things to you.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, and don't worry, I remove 'friends' that continually hassle me for gifts, but it saddens me when I read posts on the forum about how unfair KI is and that the whole game is structured for people with lots of money.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I agree with you~ I bought ALL of my houses (one of which, like yours, has walls full of wands and weapons, LOL) and most of my mounts with gold; I've also purchased clothing from the Crown shop that's available for gold and, as a result, frequently get spammed with gifting requests... I just tell them no, and ignore (or delete, if the person is a "friend"). It would seem that people think I have money to throw around, and expect that I hand it over~ I don't profess to be poor, but I'm certainly not rich; I value my money, and won't spend it on strangers.

Still, it saddens me that the haves and have-nots must be so visibly divided~ yes, demanding to be gifted is spammy and annoying, but I feel for the kids whose parents can't afford extras... I grew up in a single-parent family, and my mom didn't have spare cash to throw around; I remember going to school and being frustrated when my friends would show off their fancy things~ things I knew I'd never have access to. In that sense, the in-game dynamic isn't that different.

Flash-forward 15 years... I remember being super-stoked when Malistaire finally dropped the Ruined Painting, after a year of farming. Sure, I could have spent the 5000 crowns, but I chose not to~ in the end, my victory was that much sweeter, because I EARNED it. KI has done a great job of making this stuff available as drops, for those of us who choose to invest time over money; of course, people farm those areas so incessantly that the drop-rate is probably around 2%, which kills it for everyone else.

-

To add to this, my other pet-peeve is players who clearly have money (as in, they have full Crowns-only gear, pets, etc.), but don't know how to play the game.

I was farming in Dragonspyre one time, and ended up helping this mother-son team with a did-not-collect quest... She was a level 45 Myth, and son was a level 40 Life wizard~ I'm Balance, and the enemies were Death and Storm, so it seemed we'd be a match made in heaven... Oh, how wrong I was!

For starters, these two didn't have mastery amulets, but spammed off-school treasure cards (often right into -80% shields or same-school resistance), wasted the blades I gave them on wand strikes, and whined at me to heal them... I tried to explain (nicely) how things work, but trying to reason with them was beyond painful.

After questing with them for nearly 3 hours, I logged out and de-friended both of them... money does not a smart player make. I've never before encountered anyone else who so shamelessly flaunted their wealth/lack of intelligence~ these guys clearly bought their way to Master status and, unless they've learned since then, are probably still stuck there.

Sorry if I went off-topic a bit, but wanted to touch on both sides of the debate. Thanks for posting this~ I love KI, and understand that they're a business, but there's a difference between making a profit and allowing players to buy their way through the game.

/my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

El Veeb
the Archmage of Awesomeness

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Well, I read the first two posts. Muztown followed by Vonawesome1.

I blinked a bit, let it sink into my head, and thought. "Wow..."

Ok, first off, people asking for gifts. That has been around since the very beginning of the 'gift button.' I understand how some people don't like being asked for gifts. Even I get asked for gifts. But the thing you, Muztown, has to realize is, there is nothing you can do about it. Ever. De-friending them is the only thing you can do, which is what I do, and move on.

Vonawesome1. I am honestly just a tad bit disappointed in you. I read your name in a lot of discussions, see your name with a lot of posts and replies. But that reply to Muztown ... well. I am fine that you agreed, but that you don't like players that don't show some kind of skill equivalent to their "wealth"? What the ... huh?

I got my mother hooked on this game. I play with her almost all the time. When she first played, and even up until Dragonspyre/Celestia, mother did not quite learn all the little details and things that players would learn that had played for almost a full year. We take advantage of bundles, and activate them like little kids open presents on Christmas morning. So, in a technical sense, we are "rich" because we buy quite a bit of stuff without gold.

For the mere fun of it, I would use treasure cards. Whether they made sense or not. Actually, I don't ever use treasure cards, but I could. And why would you look down on a wizard/player who was not wearing a Mastery amulet?! You know how rare those things are? Or expensive? The ONLY reason I am wearing one is because I don't see myself surviving very easily Celestia+ without one. Now just finished Avalon.

But, that just screams "shallow" all over the map. If you don't like players who use up your blades or traps, don't play with them, or don't blade them. Simple as that. But don't just talk smack about them and pretend like you are "better" than them. I am fairly sure they were having fun and a good time. You don't have to be all hardcore and professional if you want to play Wizard101. That happens at Celestia+ anyway, when players really have to shape up in order to even survive.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Muztown wrote:
First off, I would like to start by saying what a wonderful game KI has created! Congratulations for all the success that they have had and I hope will continue to have!

One of my main annoyances in the game is not a game flaw itself, but with other people.

I am more than willing to friend wizards of all ages and levels, as I am quite happy with having a chat and making new wizard friends. What annoys me is that when people port to my house and have a look at my things they always comment on how 'rich' I am and that I should gift them because I 'obviously' have lots of money. I have been playing this game for roughly 9 months I would think, and have managed to buy the large Marleybone house, the large Mooshu house, the small Wizard City house and furnishings for all three houses. I have even managed to furnish an entire room in my Mooshu house with wands from every school (including staffs, bows and generic wands). This has obviously cost a lot of money and time. It annoys me that people think that I got all of my things through crowns and that I should gift them so they can have things too.

I have played the game as intended and levelled up. If I need money I farm bosses to buy the things I want. I have several mounts paid for with gold.

I can't understand how people think the game is so unfair and tailored for people with real life money. All I have to say is that you need to stop being lazy and spend your time doing quests instead of expecting people to give things to you.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, and don't worry, I remove 'friends' that continually hassle me for gifts, but it saddens me when I read posts on the forum about how unfair KI is and that the whole game is structured for people with lots of money.

I have seen way too many wizards begging to be gifted. Not only in the Commons, but some of the people I have added as friends (and they were immediately removed from my list).

Most of the beggars are young children at very low levels. They are the "I want it now" generation. They are unwilling to wait to earn coins, and do quests to earn new clothing or gear. They want Mega Snack Packs (2500 crowns), or mounts like the Panther or Tiger (5000+ crowns). They don't understand the concept that these cost real money (or they don't care), and we aren't willing to part with it.

Most everything I have in the game, I earned by doing quests, gardening, crafting, hatching, and farming. Sure, I have quite a few crowns, however, it was MY money spent, on MY limited income. I'm not willing to gift people I don't know.

I try to buy what I can with gold coins. Once in a while, I'll see something in the crown shop I want, but I'm pretty stingy on what I spend it on. Sort of like my college education. I didn't expect my parents to pay for it as they had very little money. I worked full-time and went to school full-time to earn my Engineering degree. I was proud of myself for doing so, because I didn't have help from anyone else. The same goes with my first car.

@vonawesome. I agree that crowns does not a player make (yes, I purposely wrote it this way). I too, have seen many players with crown gear, pets, etc, and they don't have a clue how to play, and I'm talking mostly about mid to high level players.

Earning the gear, farming for stuff to sell, taking the time to craft what you want, is well worth the effort. It makes you appreciate the game even more.

Defender
Jul 23, 2011
I have to agree with both of you. I, too have learned that many things can be bought with the gold option. I even went as far as farming bosses just so I coulb buy the Island Getaway with gold. Let me tell you, it was expensive, but a very large yard for gardening. I would like to add, though that what alot of people don't understand when asking for gifts, is that not all of us play single. I, for one, am an adult that shares a family account with my son. Therefore, I also share crowns with him whenever I do have the extra cash to buy some. I also have more than one wizard, so I often use my Archmage wizard to farm or craft items for my lower level wizards. I have to add, though, something else that really irks me. It is when lower level wizards try to friend me just to try mooching good treasure cards. That is why I usually turn off almost all of the request options whenever I venture into Wizard City areas. Try that, and you will have far fewer pests bothering you.

Survivor
Jan 21, 2012
Hi El Veeb! It's nice to have a well known member contribute on a post!

I can thankfully say that I have never had an encounter such as yours, with people that have no sense of the game and dressed up to the nines as it were. I think if faced with the same situation, my wizards vindictive side may have come out to play, making me port away at a crucial part of the battle, and with any luck, leaving the two failing wizards to be defeated ~oh how I wish I could bring myself to actually do that to someone, but alas, my conscience just won't allow it which I guess is a good thing if you believe in karma~

I had to agree with every aspect of your reply. My siblings and I were raised by a single mother, who was fortunate enough to be able to provide us with the things we needed, and also many of the things that we wanted as children. However, such niceties were to be earned. Wether it be helping each other around the house or even helping our elderly neighbours by taking out their rubbish or collecting their mail for them. We didn't feel the need to brag to our friends about our new toys and we gladly shared them, because those were the ideals our mother instilled in us as children. It is disheartening to know that there are others who weren't/aren't as fortunate, but that is when a good sense of character is needed most. Yes, another wizard might have the best gear, but it is not an integral part of the game. I guess it's just harder for younger wizards to understand that you don't have to have all the best things to have fun in this game!

As for gifting, I'm not a huge fan of gifting to complete strangers ~however I have fallen prey to the odd sob story, which I now ignore~ but I would love to be able to share the wealth as it were, which is why I have been hosting games of wildfire tag in which the winning wizard receives a hoard pack of their choice and other various prizes. I know it's not the most flashy or biggest competition, but some of the winning wizards have never had a crown item before, so it's great to see it brighten their day!

Anyway, I look forward to bumping into you around the spiral/forums :D

Morgrim
The Ironfist Family

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
Yes I agree with a lot of these opinions. I also farm for things to sell and earn gold. At one point back when I was in CL I EARNED 80,000 gold to buy a blue dragon mount. At another point I farmed a boss in GH for the zombie pet more than 50 times. It feels like a real accomplishment when you work for the things you want. If someone bugs you for gifting you can choose to ignore them. You can switch realms. If they are your "friends" you can delete them from your list. I earned 8,000 buy farming bosses in the plaza of conquests back when i was DS. And I bought the small WC house. So there is my opinion. I am level 79 (nearly archmage).

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Hi, Fantasia~ I'm sorry that we disagree on this, since we seem to share opinions on a number of other things around the Spiral. Perhaps I was unclear, you misunderstood me, or both~ in any case, allow me to explain:

I don't care whether someone has a mastery amulet or not, since I don't own any~ probably never will, either, since I've made it this far (outer yard, since I'm maxed out) without one. The reason I mentioned it at all was because of the pip cost; when you are Death (for example), it seems pointless to waste 4 power pips on a treasure Kraken~ you could throw 2 Vampires with that, for more damage. And why would you use that treasure card if the enemy was Storm, or had a -80% Storm shield up? Logistically, it boggles my mind.

Re: healing~ I'm a Balance wiz, meaning that I heal over time, which is useless if your health is less than half; I have a massive incoming-heal boost for that reason. But, for someone who doesn't have that boost, the first tick of Availing Hands is so small that, if s/he is near death, that person will probably be defeated the following round. Would it not make more sense for the Life wizard (who, by that point, has Fairy, Unicorn, AND Satyr) to do so? Sure, there are a lot of Life wizards who don't like healing, but it makes more sense to one-shot heal than risk getting killed (and losing credit for the quest, which happened in this group) before the HoT runs its course.

(For those who weren't aware, defeat does not clear aggro. If healed, the person who died will be defeated again and again... and again, which will render any HoT spells utterly useless.)

I am not an experienced gamer, by any stretch~ you should know that by now. Sure, I'm an archmage... but it took me a long time to get there, and I certainly didn't buy my way in; I earned the title through persistence and a lot of hard work, as most of us have. For that reason, I would hope that ALL players (wealthy and not so well-off) have at least a basic understanding of how the game works, and that strategy is required to progress~ but perhaps my expectations are too high. I guess it all comes down to whether you pay the fine or do the time, so to speak.

(My stance on helping other players has always been the same~ I help those who help themselves, and these guys made it clear to me that they didn't know how... or, when I tried to help them, even care to try.)

Maybe I'm biased, because I've always had to work for what I wanted and have never had things just handed to me. Don't get me wrong~ when I buy hoard packs, I'm like a kid in a candy-shop, but it's because those items are for fun; they are not required to progress in-game (yet), and they should never be~ if this ever happens, players without money won't stand a fighting chance. I don't profess to be poor, but I do value my hard-earned $.

I'm not "talking smack" (as you said) about anyone. What I am doing is reiterating my point that any strategy game requires an element of skill~ one cannot run without first learning to walk, and buying one's way through the game eliminates the need to "learn" anything. Therefore, I stand by my earlier statement~ money does not a smart player make; you don't have to agree with me, but that's my stance and I'm sticking to it.

Happy day,

El Veeb

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
VonAwesome, all I have to say is wow.

I've seen players like that and all I do is just walk away. I am younger then around half to seventy percent of the people on this game and I got it within the first hour of playing.

Now, my gear is not bought from crowns. (I won some of it in hoard packs but I don't think you can buy those things in the Crown Shop and I rarely equip them anyways.)

Now, I must admit I am saving up for many things not the least of which treasure cards to help me through fights. So what irks me is when people are like "Give me high lvl tc." when they really don't need them. I would rather give my fire beetle to a transcended pyromancer then to an initiate.