Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical clothing Verses Damage clothing?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
May 31, 2009
I have a very high level storm and wanted to see what the critical in clothing was about, I have been playing for a long time now but never really tried critical gear until now. I was able to raise my critical hit to 300 with clothing and wand and so forth. What I found was that it is dangerous using critical clothing while you lose accuracy and Shields in clothing along with some pips. I often would fizz and countered this by using Infallible and Unstoppable. I was only able to enhance my hit with blades and traps and the use of increased accuracy.
The end result was when I was in the last world fighting life, as I would not critical on my first hit and have to wait for pips to build for a second hit and maybe it would critical. Mean time I am getting hit and hit hard as I lost protection in my clothing. After several times fighting, I switched back to my level 58 gear, which i have yet to find any better in game. The Damage i dealt out was worth the change. I could soon see that critical clothing was dangerous to wear and often unreliable. I pass this on to any that want to try it for their self, but my results sent me back to my regular gear. I play two accounts usually life and storm and they do very well together, Life had to stay on top of storm to keep him alive as the hits were too hard for a wizard with no protection in his clothing.
I know some here will differ with me on this, but I also found that critical clothing does no good against a boss, as a boss will usually counter a critical about 95% of the time. Perhaps even more. I would love to see critical work for the wizards , but as for me it isn't happening.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
critical is random~ go with damage.

i have seen storm wizards with upwards of 300 critical points, and all i can think is, great galloping storm lords, WHY?

as of now, sestiva is level 74~ her damage boost is +85%; she can solo bosses in avalon and does not fizzle. needless to say, most battles i fight with her are over in 5 minutes or less. storm is meant for high damage and nothing else... critical is unpredictable and a very dangerous thing to rely on, as most enemies (even mobs) in the high-level worlds will block.

as of now, waterworks gear (level 60) or wintertusk crafted gear (level 56) is still the best available for all of my wizards, including 2 prometheans in azteca... if there is better gear to be had, i haven't found it yet.

-von
aka sestiva stormblade, trans diviner

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
For the higher worlds, they should just take out critical in gear for us wizards. It's basically useless against the mobs and bosses any more. Having better universal resistance, critical block, power pips, damage boosts, and accuracy is needed.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
There is a lot of bad things about critical. One is that you do not always get it. If you want to always get it you must have a lot of critical. But that means you will lose down all of your other power ups (pips, damage, etc.) I would go with damage because starting from celestia. I think bosses start doing block maybe even others. If you have enough damage it will be like almost getting critical every time. I only play a balance, i have started a storm but only on lvl 11. On my balance i have 74 damage and that helps me a lot in times. Especially in pvp. Damage is much better than critical.

Cole Dunerunner Lvl 90 Promethean Sorcerer

Lord of the Falling Sky

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
BrynnerOfReign on May 3, 2013 wrote:
For the higher worlds, they should just take out critical in gear for us wizards. It's basically useless against the mobs and bosses any more. Having better universal resistance, critical block, power pips, damage boosts, and accuracy is needed.
Pretty much agree, it's nice to critical but it's a "win-more" situation.

If you're not already winning, there are a lot of other abilities you need more urgently. Resistance, crit blocking, accuracy, pips, even just a hefty plain health bonus would be more useful if you've haven't stabilized the match yet.

If you've already stabilized and are just building pips, then crit is nice but not really even necessary.

It's really only useful for when you are soloing 3+ opponents and need to eliminate them very early, like on turn 2, so they can't shield each other and make your life very difficult.