Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Blocks

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 03, 2009
What's up with my Critical Block chance? It is literally 10%, and I have yet to not block an incoming Critical! On the other hand, my Critical Hit chance (17%) is acting more appropriately. Has this occured to anyone else?

Adherent
May 20, 2010
The number isn't a percentage, it's a rating of some kind.

Anything that doesn't work often is going to have long streaks of not working. This has been demonstrated in enemy item drops; some wizards have reported defeating a boss hundreds of times and not getting an item that drops probably 4-5% of the time.

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
What I meant is that even though my Critical Block is only 10%, I have blocked nearly every critical that has come my way. Yesterday, in fact, was the first time a Critical on me went unblocked since I got my first Crit Block gear four months ago.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
I have also been wondering about this. I have around 20% block (not talking about rating) and i have blocked almost every critical. Been also wondering if the other's critical rating affects if you block it or not? I find that mine is blocked less when i have a 150 rating while my friend's 60 rating got blocked every time. Is this also why its represented as a rating and not a percent? Anyone have and answer on this?

Garrett Goldpants lvl 60 diviner

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
What's up with my Critical Block chance? It is literally 10%, and I have yet to not block an incoming Critical! On the other hand, my Critical Hit chance (17%) is acting more appropriately. Has this occured to anyone else?

I am betting that the mouse-over percentage number is an error of some sort, perhaps a throwback to when the number was calculated as a percentage and they never changed it. Maybe in beta?

Because all gear lists the number as a rating. I too have noticed that I block critical a lot more than the mouse-overed "percentage". My critical block rating is 100 points lower than my critical attack rating, yet I block more criticals than I critical when attacking.

I am guessing that the mobs have a similar set of "ratings", and the chances of a success or fail is based on a die-roll type of situation, in which the numbers are combined and then averaged out to a certain ratio for success based on each number check during each round of attack.