Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Could Mellori be related to the Drakes?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Spoiler Warning!

This is going to seem like a very, very, very strange theory but I want a secondary opinion on it's viability. Could Mellori be related to the Drakes? Or even be an unmentioned daughter of Malistaire? I know what some of you are probably saying "Mellori is a child of Grandmother Raven, she can't be related to them!", true but what does it mean to be a 'child of Grandmother Raven'? Is Mellori really related to her or is it just a title?

Given how things are playing out with Old Cob it seems like Rasputin and Xerxes already existed and Cob twisted them into his dark shadowy children (I may or may not be misinterpreting that, you tell me). Which leads me to believe that Grandmother Raven works in a similar fashion, making the words "child of Grandmother Raven" just a title.

Setting facial features and magical powers aside, we know Mellori has a notably black hair and dark blue eyes (unless I just so happen to be color blind), looking at young Malistaire (I deem his appearance then to be more accurate as the Malistaire we fight had been toying with dark magic for who knows how long and magic can do that I suppose) from the five boxes event we see his eyes are somewhere between silver and a very pale blue and his hair is well... still black (sure not the same color but take into account Cyrus has darker blue meaning a more prominent blue likely exists in that gene pool, add to this that the exact shade of the iris is controlled by more than one factor). Then we look at Sylvia who has green eyes and red/brown hair (another debate for another time), after doing a few punnet squares (yes I just went there) you might find that black is dominant over brown (and or red) and that Sylvia either A. has a recessive blue gene or B. I'm reliving my days in biology class for no reason.

Motion-wise the chances of this seems fairly solid, given that fact Cob captures Mellori at the end of Mirage I have a sneaking suspicion we will see her again and not in a good way. I feel Cob is going to turn her against us and what better way than saying "your friend killed your father" (more than once I might add). Then add that there is a weird "M" streak, our first villain was Malistaire, then Morganthe does anyone else sense a pattern here?

The only thing that seems to break this theory is that no one in Ravenwood recognizes Mellori, I feel if she was related to one of the Drakes that Ambrose and the other professors would have been aware of this. I could argue that she was sent away when she was an infant, but that doesn't cover all the bases. Then I could argue memory of her was erased by well... who knows Grandmother Raven or maybe even the Drakes themselves to protect her from something, etc... however we have yet to see magic that powerful in the game thus far.

You tell me what you guys think... On a side note I feel like there's an admin who's reading this and laughing saying "that's not even close!" or their saying "Oh no, they know too much."

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
Very interesting theory. I like it. I always figured that she was Baba Yaga's daughter or granddaughter but now that you mention it, she could have been sent away when she was born to live with Baba Yaga and then she raised Mellori as her own. Perhaps when she was born Grandmother Raven saw evil and darkness in Malistaire's heart and had her sent away to protect her from her own father. She also always gave off a life wizard vibe to me. Being that she wore green and would give you healing boosts when she was with you. This might be because if what you say is true, Sylvia was her mother making Mellori an artist at life magic perhaps. As far as it goes with if she will be a villain or not maybe Old cob in Empyrea could tell Mellori about her past and that your character killed her father. After defeating Old Cob for good then perhaps the 4th Arc will focus on Mellori not believing him and then her slowly finding things out about her past and her father. Then thats when she would turn and become a threat. It would be a very interesting storyline I would think. I hope it turns out similar to that because it would make for a awesome story.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Mellori does strike me as a life wizard true, but I don't include that as a viable reason she could be a Drake is because when we start the game we take the "Book of Secrets" test, which means a wizard's school is determined entirely by personality traits or personal preferences, and genetics has almost nothing to do with what kind of wizard someone could become.

My only other problem with this theory is that many players like to write their character's backstory as being related to the Drakes, which leads me to believe that admin wouldn't jump waist deep into that territory simply because of that. And still the fact that no one knew about/thought to mention Mellori's theoretical relation to the Drakes (including Cyrus who would/could be her uncle) without magical intervention seems too convenient.

But then again there has yet to be a single story arch where Malistaire hasn't managed to wriggle his way back into mention. Think about it after the first story arch Morganthe brought him back, and in Mirage (Spoiler warning!) we go to his home and find out what he did with the infamous "Eye of History".

Survivor
Oct 14, 2012
And again with your reply I have also wanted something to happen in the game for a very long time. Even though certain characters have been dead they are still able to reappear as ghosts and help your character through their journey. For the longest time I have wanted Malistaire now that he is at peace to come back as a ghost and help your character through a part of the story. However I am 99.9% sure that will never happen cause of "We will not meet again" but I still have hope. If Mellori is kin to Malistaire perhaps we could see him again and in a much more peaceful "not trying to destroy your life essence" kind of way. At least that is my hope.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
The Lore Keeper on Apr 30, 2017 wrote:
Spoiler Warning!

This is going to seem like a very, very, very strange theory but I want a secondary opinion on it's viability. Could Mellori be related to the Drakes? Or even be an unmentioned daughter of Malistaire? I know what some of you are probably saying "Mellori is a child of Grandmother Raven, she can't be related to them!", true but what does it mean to be a 'child of Grandmother Raven'? Is Mellori really related to her or is it just a title?

Given how things are playing out with Old Cob it seems like Rasputin and Xerxes already existed and Cob twisted them into his dark shadowy children (I may or may not be misinterpreting that, you tell me). Which leads me to believe that Grandmother Raven works in a similar fashion, making the words "child of Grandmother Raven" just a title.

Setting facial features and magical powers aside, we know Mellori has a notably black hair and dark blue eyes (unless I just so happen to be color blind), looking at young Malistaire (I deem his appearance then to be more accurate as the Malistaire we fight had been toying with dark magic for who knows how long and magic can do that I suppose) from the five boxes event we see his eyes are somewhere between silver and a very pale blue and his hair is well... still black (sure not the same color but take into account Cyrus has darker blue meaning a more prominent blue likely exists in that gene pool, add to this that the exact shade of the iris is controlled by more than one factor). Then we look at Sylvia who has green eyes and red/brown hair (another debate for another time), after doing a few punnet squares (yes I just went there) you might find that black is dominant over brown (and or red) and that Sylvia either A. has a recessive blue gene or B. I'm reliving my days in biology class for no reason.

Motion-wise the chances of this seems fairly solid, given that fact Cob captures Mellori at the end of Mirage I have a sneaking suspicion we will see her again and not in a good way. I feel Cob is going to turn her against us and what better way than saying "your friend killed your father" (more than once I might add). Then add that there is a weird "M" streak, our first villain was Malistaire, then Morganthe does anyone else sense a pattern here?

The only thing that seems to break this theory is that no one in Ravenwood recognizes Mellori, I feel if she was related to one of the Drakes that Ambrose and the other professors would have been aware of this. I could argue that she was sent away when she was an infant, but that doesn't cover all the bases. Then I could argue memory of her was erased by well... who knows Grandmother Raven or maybe even the Drakes themselves to protect her from something, etc... however we have yet to see magic that powerful in the game thus far.

You tell me what you guys think... On a side note I feel like there's an admin who's reading this and laughing saying "that's not even close!" or their saying "Oh no, they know too much."

In the story on how Melori came to be Raven's child, you seem to have forgotten that Raven stole Spider's heart; with this she fashioned a "child" - Melori. Raven then sent her to live as the adopted child of Baba Yaga.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
What exact quest/story are you referring to anecorbie? I would like to see it (not to discredit your opinion but because it's another piece of the puzzle). From the lore I have seen thus-far I have found nothing that directly states that Grandmother Raven created Mellori. Upon reviewing what the Chronicle in Mirage said Grandmother Raven "...stole the broken Chaos Heart to charge the Spiral's Essence", and I did not find the use or implication of the word child anywhere in the entire conversation.

Furthermore I would like to point out a curious fact that in the final lines said by Old Cob after you battle him in Mirage and he has Mellori in his shadowy grasp, he says "Now with this dear Child bound to my will, I have access to the answers I seek.". the word 'child' has been capitalized. I am fairly sure this is not a typo as this is not the first time its happened. When Cob appears after the fight with Scorpion he says "Once again, I am forced to watch as another one of my Children falls..." also in the ending of Khrysalis he says "Fly free, my Children!". Either it's a very convenient typo or it's intentional. You only capitalize a word when it is: the first word in the sentence (obviously), a proper name, or a form of title.

The writers could just be doing so for dramatic effect. But there are plenty of ways to make a piece of written dialogue dramatic, so why single out one specific word?

One might argue why this doesn't happen with Rasputin at the end of Polaris. Well based upon the context Cob seemed to use the word as it was meant to be used, he is addressing Rasputin as his child.

Which leads me to believe that these "Children" are not biologically related to either Spider or Raven, but rather related in a way that implies a parent-like bond not biological one. I am not questioning the fact that she is Grandmother Raven's daughter I simply question what that means, as well as who Mellori's biological parents could have been (that we know of).

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
The Lore Keeper on May 7, 2017 wrote:
What exact quest/story are you referring to anecorbie? I would like to see it (not to discredit your opinion but because it's another piece of the puzzle). From the lore I have seen thus-far I have found nothing that directly states that Grandmother Raven created Mellori. Upon reviewing what the Chronicle in Mirage said Grandmother Raven "...stole the broken Chaos Heart to charge the Spiral's Essence", and I did not find the use or implication of the word child anywhere in the entire conversation.

Furthermore I would like to point out a curious fact that in the final lines said by Old Cob after you battle him in Mirage and he has Mellori in his shadowy grasp, he says "Now with this dear Child bound to my will, I have access to the answers I seek.". the word 'child' has been capitalized. I am fairly sure this is not a typo as this is not the first time its happened. When Cob appears after the fight with Scorpion he says "Once again, I am forced to watch as another one of my Children falls..." also in the ending of Khrysalis he says "Fly free, my Children!". Either it's a very convenient typo or it's intentional. You only capitalize a word when it is: the first word in the sentence (obviously), a proper name, or a form of title.

The writers could just be doing so for dramatic effect. But there are plenty of ways to make a piece of written dialogue dramatic, so why single out one specific word?

One might argue why this doesn't happen with Rasputin at the end of Polaris. Well based upon the context Cob seemed to use the word as it was meant to be used, he is addressing Rasputin as his child.

Which leads me to believe that these "Children" are not biologically related to either Spider or Raven, but rather related in a way that implies a parent-like bond not biological one. I am not questioning the fact that she is Grandmother Raven's daughter I simply question what that means, as well as who Mellori's biological parents could have been (that we know of).
The Cave in Zafaria where the story is told through cave paintings.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
anecorbie on May 7, 2017 wrote:
The Cave in Zafaria where the story is told through cave paintings.
Do you have an exact quest name? Because the only ones that could fit that description are Killer Paint and Art History, neither of which have anything to do with Grandmother Raven.

Killer Paint describes Cob and his children while Art History is about the history of Zafaria. Neither have any mention of Grandmother Raven. I also double checked the mammoth tusks from Polaris we find in the caves but none of those mention Grandmother Raven creating a child only the Spiral. And I'm fairly sure you're not talking about the Grand Prophecy in Khrysalis (which has been full filled up to the last orb but we're fairly sure the child of shadow was Morganthe and that the Chosen is the player).

Outside of that I have yet to see anything that mentions Grandmother Raven creating Mellori.