Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Conceited Grandmasters

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 11, 2009
172
There have been an ever increasing number of topics from wizards complaining about lower level wizards joining battles and interfering with the blade and trap attacks of higher level wizards in battles with foes like Gurtok Demon. This has also appeared in chat, where some wizards have expressed indignation at lower level wizards.

I have a number of Grandmasters and I am not bothered by the lower level wizards being involved in the battle, even if they use my traps with weaker spells. It is an open area available to players. There are four slots open for people to join the battle.

Today, two lower level wizards joined two of us (both of us are grandmasters) in one battle and did an excellent job in fighting and defeating the foe.

I rarely join other people’s battles. When I wish to join, I always ask permission. I will not interfere with someone else’s plans. This is the way I am. I was raised this way and am proud of this.

I cannot expect others to operate in the same manner. Rarely do people ask me to join my battles. That is just the way it is. :(

Of the very few who have asked to join the battle, I have always accepted them. With some wizards who stand nearby watching, I have extended the invitation to join the battle and they have thanked me and were excellent companions in not only that battle. :) :)


What is a bother to me (Here is where I begin my complaining) are the conceited grandmasters and other high level wizards who get upset if you mess with their “BIG” attack.

I will switch realms to find a place where I and my friends can battle as we see fit. In fighting foes, like Gurtok Demon, traps are for anyone to use no matter what spell (even sword/staff attacks) and no matter who cast the trap. Once you have cast the spell for a trap, anyone may use it. IT IS NOT YOUR SPELL ANYMORE!!!!

What bothers me (twice last night and once today) is that some high level wizards will join the battle. They are not in position one (the first slot) and are not under attack. They will cast blades/traps again and again without attacking. Then they get upset when I continue to attack the foe and in the process use their traps with my spells (including my level 45 swords which have 100 base hit points).

I am not there to glorify them. I am there to fight a battle. I will use whatever spell I want in order to carry out the attack on the foe and protect my friends.

Since I am in the first slot of these battles, I have found that these wizards (more than the two from last night and the one today) who complain about people messing up their attacks are in the third or fourth slot and joined the battle after it had already begun. They just want to have their “BIG” attack to satisfy their own ego. They are the kind of people who would use a nuke on Bambi and think that it was sporting.

No wizard should cling to the expectation that the other wizards in the same battle are to step aside and take numerous hits, just so someone can do their “BIG” attack. :(

It is just the way I see things. :)

Have fun!! :) :) :) (but don’t join my battles and complain about my using your precious traps) :x (or else!!!)


Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
82
I have never refused a wizard who asked first to join my battle and I tell them I appreciate that they asked first. I think there should be a "block-out" or "invite in" button so you have a choice. Some wizards appreciate help and some dont. I always ask first but have had people just join then be rude to me and it was MY fight to start with. At that point I usually stop hitting and just heal and make them do all the work. I am sorry if that sounds mean but I dont appreciate rudeness.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
2902
Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
16
I understand what you're saying, but what you're describing isn't always conceit. My kids and I share an account and we have two grandmasters. When I farm, I like to use traps and blades to build a big attack and end the battle faster. I don't have a lot of time to play, so quick battles are usually best for me.

When I want to farm alone, I look for the most deserted realm I can find and fight there. Sometimes, despite my best efforts to find a slow realm, someone still jumps into the battle and uses up my traps for a low level attack. Yes, I find this VERY annoying. If the person has open chat, I'll politely ask that they wait to attack. If they refuse or are rude, I often leave the battle and let them deal with the boss on their own.

My point is this: If you're a grandmaster and you want to do a popular boss fight alone, don't try to do it in a busy realm and then get all upset when other players join and refuse to fight by your rules. If you go to a slow realm and someone still jumps in, show a little common courtesy. There's no need to be rude or insult new players - We were ALL new players at some point or another.

Survivor
Apr 28, 2010
11

It's a pity some Grandmasters feel the need to be so arrogant.

I've had fun in all the areas of the Spiral fighting alongside wizards of all levels and I still get a really good giggle from seeing a Dark Sprite make a Helephant's knees wobble :D


Explorer
Jul 08, 2010
94
The GM that are annoying are the ones that are automatically rude when you pop in. Although I am sure they have experienced more then their fair share of low level people using traps, to start insulting one person because they join a battle is unwarranted.

I have a lvl 27 Thurgist, and when I enter the Plaza I equip my secondary deck and unequip my wand. I therefore only have one attack (Giant Spider), and the plethora of healing and support spells.

Whats funny is how an arrogant Grandmaster acts when no one else has a heal spell near the end of a fight but that low level "noob" they insulted just minutes ago and revives them, allowing them to get their spoils and XP.

I would like to point that not all low level players are as rude if you will as the complaining GM state. On several occasions I have had conversations with GM asking how I got into the Plaza. They find it humorous when I state I have had a port mark in the Plaza since level 7, and how I configured my deck to cast only support spells such as heals and blades. Quite often I hear praise and words that I have done an excellent job with my role in the fight.


Survivor
Jul 01, 2008
16
When Wizards first started, it had a sense of community and acceptance, helpfulness and tolerance for all. Everybody was welcomed and accepted in friendship, and shared adventures were the order of the day.

Now that news of the spiral has spread far and wide, population is booming and wizards are piled upon wizards everywhere we go. Some are now seeking to push others out to make room for themselves. Those who are deemed "less than" by an arbitrary few seem to no longer be welcome to have fun in the wizard community. When that "less than" bunch is disposed of, who will they turn on next?

If this trend is allowed to continue, the hostile atmosphere that has overshadowed the Spiral could crumble the Wizard community as a whole. It already feels a far worse than it used to.

We really need to take a "no tolerance" stance towards intolerance.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2009
24
rolo527 wrote:
There have been an ever increasing number of topics from wizards complaining about lower level wizards joining battles and interfering with the blade and trap attacks of higher level wizards in battles with foes like Gurtok Demon. This has also appeared in chat, where some wizards have expressed indignation at lower level wizards.

I have a number of Grandmasters and I am not bothered by the lower level wizards being involved in the battle, even if they use my traps with weaker spells. It is an open area available to players. There are four slots open for people to join the battle.

Today, two lower level wizards joined two of us (both of us are grandmasters) in one battle and did an excellent job in fighting and defeating the foe.

I rarely join other people’s battles. When I wish to join, I always ask permission. I will not interfere with someone else’s plans. This is the way I am. I was raised this way and am proud of this.

I cannot expect others to operate in the same manner. Rarely do people ask me to join my battles. That is just the way it is. :(

Of the very few who have asked to join the battle, I have always accepted them. With some wizards who stand nearby watching, I have extended the invitation to join the battle and they have thanked me and were excellent companions in not only that battle. :) :)

What is a bother to me (Here is where I begin my complaining) are the conceited grandmasters and other high level wizards who get upset if you mess with their “BIG” attack.

I will switch realms to find a place where I and my friends can battle as we see fit. In fighting foes, like Gurtok Demon, traps are for anyone to use no matter what spell (even sword/staff attacks) and no matter who cast the trap. Once you have cast the spell for a trap, anyone may use it. IT IS NOT YOUR SPELL ANYMORE!!!!

What bothers me (twice last night and once today) is that some high level wizards will join the battle. They are not in position one (the first slot) and are not under attack. They will cast blades/traps again and again without attacking. Then they get upset when I continue to attack the foe and in the process use their traps with my spells (including my level 45 swords which have 100 base hit points).

I am not there to glorify them. I am there to fight a battle. I will use whatever spell I want in order to carry out the attack on the foe and protect my friends.

Since I am in the first slot of these battles, I have found that these wizards (more than the two from last night and the one today) who complain about people messing up their attacks are in the third or fourth slot and joined the battle after it had already begun. They just want to have their “BIG” attack to satisfy their own ego. They are the kind of people who would use a nuke on Bambi and think that it was sporting.

No wizard should cling to the expectation that the other wizards in the same battle are to step aside and take numerous hits, just so someone can do their “BIG” attack. :(

It is just the way I see things. :)

Have fun!! :) :) :) (but don’t join my battles and complain about my using your precious traps) :x (or else!!!)

are you mad? or just lost the plot Only FOOLS like it when noobs ruin there traps on a major boss, whats better using feint curse death trap, a ghoul or a wraith? yea... thats what i fought just think what you said.

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
172
colagada wrote:
It sounds like you're the conceited Grandmaster.


Perhaps, but I have never berated another wizard or had a fit when things did not go my way in a battle. I am sorry that you believe that I am conceited. I am not trying to be arrogant. I chose the term to describe a person who believes "the world revolves around him" and one who has to "have everything be his way". There are a number of topics on this forum that are devoted to putting down lower level wizards and limiting their use of a game for which they have paid.

I know that a large number of children are playing the game and a few have yet to develop patience and understanding. There are some who have difficulty coping with disappointment and frustration. However, that does not allow wizards to do and say things that put others down.

Read the chat and you will find those who mistreat others. They are creative in the words that they use. Just yesterday one of these grandmasters of which I wrote, being upset at a low level wizard using her traps with a wand attack, yelled at the wizard and called him a "more on".

This is just a game. It is not all that there is to life. There is no need for wizards get so upset at other wizards. There is never a need to berate anyone. Words can destroy a person, their identity, their self-worth. Whether the words come from a family member, a friend, or even a stranger, the damage may last a lifetime and drastically change a person's future. It would be nice if all of us would be "thick-skinned", but that is not the way it is.

DarkLordJordan wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but what you're describing isn't always conceit. My kids and I share an account and we have two grandmasters. When I farm, I like to use traps and blades to build a big attack and end the battle faster. I don't have a lot of time to play, so quick battles are usually best for me.

When I want to farm alone, I look for the most deserted realm I can find and fight there. Sometimes, despite my best efforts to find a slow realm, someone still jumps into the battle and uses up my traps for a low level attack. Yes, I find this VERY annoying. If the person has open chat, I'll politely ask that they wait to attack. If they refuse or are rude, I often leave the battle and let them deal with the boss on their own.


Perhaps a solution to this problem would be if the wizard using the traps would announce his/her intentions by stating what spell he/she is going to do. This may help to eliminate the frustration that some wizards have been expressing.

DarkLordJordan wrote:
If you go to a slow realm and someone still jumps in, show a little common courtesy. There's no need to be rude or insult new players - We were ALL new players at some point or another.


Thank you for saying this. This "common courtesy" is what I hope will take place in the game.

We need to remember that there are children who, by their parent's permission, have open chat. There is no need to hurt anyone, especially the young.

Thank you for your responses.

Let's discuss this more. Perhaps we may arrive at an understanding that will help all wizards support one another and enjoy this excellent game.

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
1309
I don't mind people using my especially when there is only one enemy. But, when there is four enemies, is there ANY reason to take someone's traps without asking other than you want the glory of a larger hit.

For example. Just today i was fighting Ravens with four other people. I am a life wizard. I put a prism on the life raven, followed by a feint, then traps, and i also had a life blade and spirit blades on myself. I could have easily one hit that enemy. There are 3 other enemies there, but what does the storm person use a triton on? You guessed it, the life enemy. He didn't have any storm traps on it nor was he bladed. He only hit because it was the ONE boss that had a feint. Anyone with sense could tell i was sitting it up to one hit it and therefore have ONE LESS enemy attacking. His reply when i told him he wasted my set up was 'oh well i didn't see the feint'. So, he must not have also seen the feint, the prism, and the two traps . So I would say in cases like that there is NO reason to take a person's traps and others have the right to get upset when someone messes up their big hit.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 50 Life

Defender
Jan 03, 2009
140
I think you make a good point, so if someone is trying a big hit (personal record or something) then they should go to empty realms or bosses in their own layers where they can't be disturbed. Also if someone else joins the fight just tell them that you want to save the traps instead of assuming they know the yelling at them.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
1205
as a level one character I can port to my friends in DS and play there without having to bother with quests at all

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
31
rolo527 wrote:
There have been an ever increasing number of topics from wizards complaining about lower level wizards joining battles and interfering with the blade and trap attacks of higher level wizards in battles with foes like Gurtok Demon. This has also appeared in chat, where some wizards have expressed indignation at lower level wizards.

I have a number of Grandmasters and I am not bothered by the lower level wizards being involved in the battle, even if they use my traps with weaker spells. It is an open area available to players. There are four slots open for people to join the battle.

Today, two lower level wizards joined two of us (both of us are grandmasters) in one battle and did an excellent job in fighting and defeating the foe.

I rarely join other people’s battles. When I wish to join, I always ask permission. I will not interfere with someone else’s plans. This is the way I am. I was raised this way and am proud of this.

I cannot expect others to operate in the same manner. Rarely do people ask me to join my battles. That is just the way it is. :(

Of the very few who have asked to join the battle, I have always accepted them. With some wizards who stand nearby watching, I have extended the invitation to join the battle and they have thanked me and were excellent companions in not only that battle. :) :)

What is a bother to me (Here is where I begin my complaining) are the conceited grandmasters and other high level wizards who get upset if you mess with their “BIG” attack.

I will switch realms to find a place where I and my friends can battle as we see fit. In fighting foes, like Gurtok Demon, traps are for anyone to use no matter what spell (even sword/staff attacks) and no matter who cast the trap. Once you have cast the spell for a trap, anyone may use it. IT IS NOT YOUR SPELL ANYMORE!!!!

What bothers me (twice last night and once today) is that some high level wizards will join the battle. They are not in position one (the first slot) and are not under attack. They will cast blades/traps again and again without attacking. Then they get upset when I continue to attack the foe and in the process use their traps with my spells (including my level 45 swords which have 100 base hit points).

I am not there to glorify them. I am there to fight a battle. I will use whatever spell I want in order to carry out the attack on the foe and protect my friends.

Since I am in the first slot of these battles, I have found that these wizards (more than the two from last night and the one today) who complain about people messing up their attacks are in the third or fourth slot and joined the battle after it had already begun. They just want to have their “BIG” attack to satisfy their own ego. They are the kind of people who would use a nuke on Bambi and think that it was sporting.

No wizard should cling to the expectation that the other wizards in the same battle are to step aside and take numerous hits, just so someone can do their “BIG” attack. :(

It is just the way I see things. :)

Have fun!! :) :) :) (but don’t join my battles and complain about my using your precious traps) :x (or else!!!)

LOL your crazy. It's an enormous waste of time to set up a boss with
7,000 hp and then have someone wand off all your traps!!! Talk about being
inconsiderate!!! Good luck,if you do this sort of thing you will make people
angry and for good reason.

Explorer
Jan 27, 2009
50
Rolo, there is a BIG difference between a low level that trips your traps with a level 1 spell and one who plays as a member of a team. I farm with my GM Pyromancer. His secondary school is Storm and I let everyone know that the Storm traps I throw are open for whomever wishes to use them, but when I'm battling the Gurtok Demon with 10,000 HP I build up my Fire traps so I can get a big hit and shorten the battle.
There was a GM Necro last night who got a 10,273 HP hit against the Gurtok and took him out in one shot. He couldn't have done it if some Level 5 had been standing there tripping all his traps (and YES, I have seen Level 5s in DS trying to fight major bosses).

Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
12
I am a grand, and I LOVE it when other wizards of any level port to me. One a level 20 wizard actually saved my by randomly porting in. True, they can ruin traps, but I never set more than ice trap and and feint, and I would rather have a friend and take an extra turn to re-feint than be by myself.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
9
I admit i do jump into battles without asking sometimes, but there was no need to make fun of my school. I was a myth wizard in marleybone and they started making fun of me because i was a myth sstudent

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
172
It is very difficult to read minds over the internet. In real life we are aided by facial expression, body language, and verbal communication.

Since we are limited visually in dealing with one another, we need to better communicate our intentions. I have been trying to consistently call out those spells toward which I am working. That not only allows others to know my plans, but it also aids them in their planning. Other wizards have done the same for me and it has also been a value to me.

For those seeking a personal best, an empty realm or off-time might be the best option, but may not be the possible for all people. Therefore, people will have to handle in a proper manner those frustrations and disappointments that they are experiencing, when they are playing with wizards who do contrary things.

Rystermagic wrote:
are you mad? or just lost the plot Only FOOLS like it when noobs ruin there traps on a major boss, whats better using feint curse death trap, a ghoul or a wraith? yea... thats what i fought just think what you said.


This is where we have differing opinions – once a trap or feint has been played, whose is it?

If you do not communicate to the other wizards, why should they refrain from carrying on the battle? We cannot assume that others know what we are about to do barring fizzles.

You can state your intentions, but it is up to the other wizards to acknowledge your plan of action and abide with it. Your plan may not be their plan.

KI did not restrict a trap or feint to only the person who casts it. There are groups of wizards who successfully share their traps and/or feints in the midst of the battle.

This becomes most important when you have two or more wizards from the same school. They must decide if they going to work together or individually.

BayouGirl wrote:

When Wizards first started, it had a sense of community and acceptance, helpfulness and tolerance for all. Everybody was welcomed and accepted in friendship, and shared adventures were the order of the day.

Now that news of the spiral has spread far and wide, population is booming and wizards are piled upon wizards everywhere we go. Some are now seeking to push others out to make room for themselves. Those who are deemed "less than" by an arbitrary few seem to no longer be welcome to have fun in the wizard community. When that "less than" bunch is disposed of, who will they turn on next?

If this trend is allowed to continue, the hostile atmosphere that has overshadowed the Spiral could crumble the Wizard community as a whole. It already feels a far worse than it used to.

We really need to take a "no tolerance" stance towards intolerance.


Remember, that there are a lot of really nice kids in the game. A few may do things that create difficulties for others. Sometimes there may be a malicious intent behind what a very few are doing.

No matter what, we need to preserve a high level of respect toward all and provide a good environment for the children.

An aside note - I wish that KI would change the appearance/color of curse, so that it would be easier to distinguish from a death trap.

Sorry, if I have offended anyone by my original post. The ending was a bit of dry humor as a result of frustration.

Thank you all for your contributions. This has been helpful to me. I am use to a more open chat in other games where this discussion would take place in the game itself in real time.

Perhaps, what we need is a stronger school presence in the lives of the wizards. Dividing a school into clusters of students where they train together (if desired) or having mentors available for the new and/or young wizards (if desired). It is just a thought. It needs a lot of work.

Again thanks,

Have fun!!! :) :) :)

Defender
Feb 23, 2010
163
rubyb23 wrote:
The GM that are annoying are the ones that are automatically rude when you pop in. Although I am sure they have experienced more then their fair share of low level people using traps, to start insulting one person because they join a battle is unwarranted.

I have a lvl 27 Thurgist, and when I enter the Plaza I equip my secondary deck and unequip my wand. I therefore only have one attack (Giant Spider), and the plethora of healing and support spells.

Whats funny is how an arrogant Grandmaster acts when no one else has a heal spell near the end of a fight but that low level "noob" they insulted just minutes ago and revives them, allowing them to get their spoils and XP.

I would like to point that not all low level players are as rude if you will as the complaining GM state. On several occasions I have had conversations with GM asking how I got into the Plaza. They find it humorous when I state I have had a port mark in the Plaza since level 7, and how I configured my deck to cast only support spells such as heals and blades. Quite often I hear praise and words that I have done an excellent job with my role in the fight.



I'd like to think I'm pretty open about people joining in the battle I've started. I'm not worried about their level as much as their gameplay. Heck, I remember answering a friends call in Katzenstein's lab when i was still in Krokotopia. I went in, saved him, and then left. When he asked me if I had the Big Ben quest too, I had to laughingly inform him that I was still in Krokotopia. Sometimes it's more about how you fight than what you have to fight with. The one thing that does bother me is when a lower level wizard joins and won't listen to your advice. For instance, I pretty much always announce my action before I cast a feint spell. I do that to let them know not to cast a small attack at that target. It's a waste of a 70% attack boost, and it's worsened by the fact that I'm putting a 30% trap on myself to place that attack boost. I also tend to ask them not to summon minions, as they really mess with traps. If the lower level wizard is willing to fight the right way, they're more than welcome. If not, then I get away from them as soon as possible. Then again, I feel the same way about other grandmasters at times. Personally, I'm not bothered about lower level players getting nice drops from the battle. It's not like it affects what I get. Drops are random.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
8
I have one grandmaster and several wizards that are 40+. I am usually very accepting of people joining battles. Only problems I have with some of the lower level wizards is 1) they join without asking and 2) some will join when you are about dead and 3) some join in and yet not battle at all. The other day I had someone join in on a boss battle in Dragonspyre, casted a power pip ring and then stopped fighting all together. That same day, I had a few low level wizards join in on a battle in Dragonspyre that I was trying to keep myself alive in, they drug in another monster and I ended up dead because of extra attacks. Later that day, my best friend was in the Labyrinth and asked for me to come help him. I ported in and another guy with him started to berate me because I came to help but I wasn't a life wizard (I was on my balance wizard with life as secondary school). I don't mind if my traps are used. I pick on my best friend for stealing traps or using balance swords to kick off a weakness...but that's what me and him do...joking around. But I won't berate someone for using a trap I set. I usually set traps for other people to use!

Defender
May 29, 2009
109
For the people who want their big hits, just go to a totally private instance, like Rattlebones or Lady Blackhope. Then turn off friend teleports and you'll be able to see how high you hit without interference (unless Foulgaze pwns you- LOL that was me).

For another thing, some of the other people playing see you with their monsters for the quest, so they think ooh i can join and invite my friend and then we have half of the quest done. A lot of people find it annoying, like if you are about to humungofrog the three sokkwi in front of you (your friend fled) and then a lvl 16 joins. It only bothers me if the monster they dragged in attacks and kills me.

Oh yeah, and sometimes if you even politely ask them to wait their attack, they might have menu chat, like so many of the 7-year-olds that play this game, so you can't blame them.

And it's a game people. It's not like the Gurtok Firebender is gonna kill you in real life if you use the wand attacks. Personally, i waste my own traps too sometimes. It's words that tear people apart. Look at Precious. Her mom is horrible to her and she struggles with her life. When i was level 16 and doing 2v2 Practice, I used a wand attack on the Grand's feint. When the battle was over, the grand said many ...'s, and it must've been harsh.

I'm not saying this to rolo, I'm saying this to people who like the big hits.

Survivor
May 31, 2009
17
I cant claim to know what some other grands are like but i always welcome other people into my fights noob or not. if they bring in a friend and thats too more monsters so what just fight tem and get the extra xp from the fight i cant imagine a grandmaster throwing his/her weight around thats just plain wrong we need to welcome all players not treat noobs like they're from another planet or something

Chase Stormsword
Grandmaster Diviner
Aedan Dawnglade
Grandmaster Theurgist

Defender
Aug 11, 2009
172
Explorer
Jan 27, 2009
50
Rolo, I agree with you about people jumping in when I'm battling a big boss like Gurtok Demon. I don't mind because 1. it would take me a long time to beat him alone and 2. It doesn't matter how many are battling or who kills him when it comes to getting a pet drop, it's all random anyway. But like has been said previously, lower levels need to learn how to play as part of a team. I have had a few sub-level 10 players that actually helped out on the Gurtok because they knew how to use their spells to enhance big hits or to elimenate shields.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2009
7
I finally found a solution to those who bust in without asking. I have four accounts and play in my own groups. I will also play solo, and usually wait to be asked to join when I see a battle going that I need for a quest unless the critter grabs me on the way by, or ask if I can join. I also don't slam people who pop into my battle when I am trying to stage all four in the school order I want them to play in.

I think mostly it is about personal character. And there are a lot of jerks with no consideration for anyone but themselves living and working the spiral these days. It's all about self-involvement; mine by right of birth is a term I use to describe these particular people who think the world revolves around them and their wants and needs. Got news for you all. The sun DOES NOT rise and set on your backside, and other people have a right to the same air that you are breathing, so get over yourself.