Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can My Grandma Play Wizard101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2016
I love my grandma very much; she is such a dear friend. My grandma and I were looking to bond with each other while we were away from one another. She knew how much I liked to play computer games online, so she claimed she was tech savvy herself and wanted to show off her "gaming pc". At first I was really excited, I suggested she could play Wizard101 with me and she said she would be more than happy to play with me. This was until (gasp) I laid eyes on her Hot Wheels computer which looked like a dinosaur. In total dismay, I looked up the Wizard101 system requirements and everything but the OS matched the requirements! My grandma's OS is Windows98SE, and on the requirement page for this version of the game it says it requires Windows Vista. I was stunned because I swore the last time I looked at the requirements page it said Windows98SE. I did a little bit of research and older websites that display Wizard101's system requirements say Windows98SE can run Wizard101. Even the U.K. version of Wizard101 says the minimum requirement is still a Windows98SE OS. My question is can my grandma play Wizard101 despite the Windows98SE OS or will I have to switch over to the U.K. version to play with her?

Survivor
Feb 12, 2017
My guy, I thing gram gram needs an update

Defender
Nov 10, 2015
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
Of course your grandma can play!!
Don't worry, you should be able to play on the U.S server with no problem!

Anyone can play Wizard101! You don't need to ask on the Message Boards.

Hope you and your grandma have fun playing the game!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Anyone can play. This game is design for all ages 10+

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
We raised the minimum specifications a couple of years ago. It sounds like GameForge didn't update their webpage to match. You might have Grandma try playing for free in Wizard City to see how it goes, but eventually something down the main storyline could become a roadblock. If that does happen, Customer Support might be unable to assist since her computer doesn't meet our minimum specifications.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Nextgenpowerblast on Feb 14, 2017 wrote:
I love my grandma very much; she is such a dear friend. My grandma and I were looking to bond with each other while we were away from one another. She knew how much I liked to play computer games online, so she claimed she was tech savvy herself and wanted to show off her "gaming pc". At first I was really excited, I suggested she could play Wizard101 with me and she said she would be more than happy to play with me. This was until (gasp) I laid eyes on her Hot Wheels computer which looked like a dinosaur. In total dismay, I looked up the Wizard101 system requirements and everything but the OS matched the requirements! My grandma's OS is Windows98SE, and on the requirement page for this version of the game it says it requires Windows Vista. I was stunned because I swore the last time I looked at the requirements page it said Windows98SE. I did a little bit of research and older websites that display Wizard101's system requirements say Windows98SE can run Wizard101. Even the U.K. version of Wizard101 says the minimum requirement is still a Windows98SE OS. My question is can my grandma play Wizard101 despite the Windows98SE OS or will I have to switch over to the U.K. version to play with her?
I would suggest directing this question to a KI Staff member. Only KI can give you the best answer to this question.

Since your grandma lives in the UK, and depending on your location in the US(don't post you location here other than maybe east or west) the only problem you would have is the time difference.

I would think that if the UK version is still listing Windows98SE for the minimum OS all should be good.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
just have her buy a her buy a cheap laptop that is 2009 and above [but not a chrombook]. Then you can play the game. Even my old dinosaur computer can run it. So you could probably buy it for her as a christmas present or something like that.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Maybe look around computer shops for a good deal on a computer or even a used computer. Make sure it has some type of a warranty though.

Hope it works out for you.

Survivor
Feb 04, 2017
Yeah, there will be a huge load of lag though so brace yourself for that.

Have fun!

Jesse Goldenpetal