Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best packs?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 07, 2017
8
What packs should i buy? I bought some crowns, and i'm deciding what packs to get. Specifically, i'm looking for pets, mounts or gear, or maybe some treasure cards will be nice.

I'm thinking the Professor's Hoard Pack, Hoard of the Hydra, or maybe some Halloween packs.. But some opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julia Goldheart
Level 47

Astrologist
Mar 31, 2009
1241
I would recommend NOT to get packs, but that's just me. I think that your crowns will be better spent on getting the particular item you want or even areas.

If you just think you have to have a pack (keep in mind you often don't get the gear or item you want.) I would probably recommend the Professor's Hoard and the Immortal's Hoard packs. I'd also try the Wintertime pack, but that is a winter time pack and I've personally never tried it sadly, but I hear it has some good stuff.

Good luck and be frugal!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1309
rosemerrie on Jul 21, 2017 wrote:
What packs should i buy? I bought some crowns, and i'm deciding what packs to get. Specifically, i'm looking for pets, mounts or gear, or maybe some treasure cards will be nice.

I'm thinking the Professor's Hoard Pack, Hoard of the Hydra, or maybe some Halloween packs.. But some opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julia Goldheart
Level 47
Only Wysteria and Immortal packs have the potential to give you a permanent spell, as I understand it.

If you want good pets, those are good; and also the pet pack. It is called Dr. something I think? Purreau?

You can get Halloween packs but if you think you could be a higher level by October wait until then. The gear you get is level appropriate.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1837
rosemerrie on Jul 21, 2017 wrote:
What packs should i buy? I bought some crowns, and i'm deciding what packs to get. Specifically, i'm looking for pets, mounts or gear, or maybe some treasure cards will be nice.

I'm thinking the Professor's Hoard Pack, Hoard of the Hydra, or maybe some Halloween packs.. But some opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Julia Goldheart
Level 47
Best pets for Fire are in Immortal's and Road Warrior's hoard packs. You're looking for either the Mechanical Owl or the Road Hog. Also the Ghulture's pack drops a Leopard that is an okay Fire pet.

Mounts are extremely rare. I suggest you do NOT waste your crowns 'trying' to get one. If a mount happens to fall while you're getting other things, then that's good luck. That said, the best chance for a mount seems to be one of these:

Wyvern's Hoard (5 possible dragons, 3 possible fairy wings)
Nightmare Pack (one of the Halloween packs - 9 possible mounts)
Professor's Hoard (7 possible mounts)

In another week, when "Christmas in July" rolls around, the Yuletide & Winterland Pack both have 7 possible mounts that drop rather frequently. Mostly they are candy canes, but Yuletide has a Treant mount and Winterland has Ice Skates & the Yuletide Stag.

Best gear is Professor's, Immortal's (robe & wand) and Ghulture (boots, but also Professor boots are really good). For Fire, Road Warrior boots and hats have better accuracy, but Professor gear has better pips and defense.

Keep in mind at all times that buying packs is "gambling." Set your limit before you begin and, when you reach it, STOP. If you say "I'll only buy 10 packs," then only buy 10.

Be wise and good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Mar 31, 2009
1241
SparkleTude on Jul 22, 2017 wrote:
Only Wysteria and Immortal packs have the potential to give you a permanent spell, as I understand it.

If you want good pets, those are good; and also the pet pack. It is called Dr. something I think? Purreau?

You can get Halloween packs but if you think you could be a higher level by October wait until then. The gear you get is level appropriate.
No that's not true. There are a large number of packs that have the potential to give permanent spells. Including the one with the Deer Knight on the cover and the one with the Dragon/Keeper of the Flame one. However, I still stand with my original post.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1309
exp613 on Jul 22, 2017 wrote:
No that's not true. There are a large number of packs that have the potential to give permanent spells. Including the one with the Deer Knight on the cover and the one with the Dragon/Keeper of the Flame one. However, I still stand with my original post.
OK, I was going by what I had been told.

Does anyone have a complete list of packs that can possibly give a permanent spell? With the spell it gives would be good. Thanks.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1309
"In another week, when "Christmas in July" rolls around, the Yuletide & Winterland Pack both have 7 possible mounts that drop rather frequently. Mostly they are candy canes, but Yuletide has a Treant mount and Winterland has Ice Skates & the Yuletide Stag."

And some type of sleigh with bunnies pulling it.

The sleigh is adorable but I bought pack after pack and only won the temporary mount.


So I just wanted to add that even if you win a mount it could be a temporary one that only lasts one or seven days.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1837
SparkleTude on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
OK, I was going by what I had been told.

Does anyone have a complete list of packs that can possibly give a permanent spell? With the spell it gives would be good. Thanks.
All the packs that have "Lore" in the title have the potential to drop a spell.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
1837
SparkleTude on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
"In another week, when "Christmas in July" rolls around, the Yuletide & Winterland Pack both have 7 possible mounts that drop rather frequently. Mostly they are candy canes, but Yuletide has a Treant mount and Winterland has Ice Skates & the Yuletide Stag."

And some type of sleigh with bunnies pulling it.

The sleigh is adorable but I bought pack after pack and only won the temporary mount.


So I just wanted to add that even if you win a mount it could be a temporary one that only lasts one or seven days.
I specifically left the Winter Wonder pack out of my summary, because the bunnies mount (while adorably cute) is the only possible mount from that pack and it's needle-in-a-haystack rare.

The original poster wanted to know what the "best pack" was for mounts, and in my opinion, any pack that has 5 or more possible mounts is the best gamble. All the packs I mentioned have several permanent mounts, and having that many statistically increases the odds that we'll win at least one. Instead of 1 out of 100 chances, it's more like 7 out of 100.

If you're gonna gamble, gamble smart.

Alia Misthaven

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
153
Immortals Lore and Wysteria Lore pack defiantly, the others are pretty alright. Though my favorite pack of all time is the Harrowing Nightmare pack, just because the headless horseman spell is soooo awesome!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1309
Freshta on Jul 26, 2017 wrote:
I specifically left the Winter Wonder pack out of my summary, because the bunnies mount (while adorably cute) is the only possible mount from that pack and it's needle-in-a-haystack rare.

The original poster wanted to know what the "best pack" was for mounts, and in my opinion, any pack that has 5 or more possible mounts is the best gamble. All the packs I mentioned have several permanent mounts, and having that many statistically increases the odds that we'll win at least one. Instead of 1 out of 100 chances, it's more like 7 out of 100.

If you're gonna gamble, gamble smart.

Alia Misthaven
I wasn't questioning your post or your list. I mentioned it because someone mentioned Christmas in July.

Then I just warned people that it's extremely unlikely to get that bunnies and sleigh mount because I never did, and really should've. The odds must be practically zero if I didn't.

I did get some one or 7 day bunny sleigh mounts but I don't want those.

Astrologist
Mar 31, 2009
1241
SparkleTude on Jul 27, 2017 wrote:
I wasn't questioning your post or your list. I mentioned it because someone mentioned Christmas in July.

Then I just warned people that it's extremely unlikely to get that bunnies and sleigh mount because I never did, and really should've. The odds must be practically zero if I didn't.

I did get some one or 7 day bunny sleigh mounts but I don't want those.
The odds are practically zero for all of them. That is why I stand by my original post.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
92
Hey :)

My person opinion for gears:

Hat: Malistair's or Krok's

Robe: Malistair's or Rattle's

The thing here is that some schools will benefit more from the first option, while others will more effectively benefit from the second option. (For instance Malistair's robe is better for Storm, but Rattlebones is better for Death, you really have to look them up and compare stats).

Shoes: personally I prefer Professor's hoard pack because it gives the best overall stats. Of course Ghulture's does have good shoes as well, but not that much stat wise like Professor's.

Wand:
critical = Halloween's pack (even though it's not updated, so 100 is lvl cap, strong critical build based) -
overall stats = Terror's (decent block & critical plus damage* plus pip chance/pierce*) *depends on the school

_____________

Of course those are general gears, you also might want Jade or energy gear which are also provided by other packs such as Shaman's or Wyvern's.

For pets, I honestly would not bother. I'd rather have a friend with the pet I like (and stats) hatch with me, rather than a pack.

_____________

For mounts, it definitely CAN be frustrating - believe me! If you have a nice budge, or luck, you could try it, but then drop rates for perm mounts are terribly low. Just so you can have an idea, I spent more than 35k just to get my perm Halloween themed wings (which I can't remember the name), that one with an intense glow, in pink or green-ish.

I did so because my dream was to have that mount. I'm not doing that anytime soon again hahaha

_____________

For treasure cards, I'd rather crafting or camping at the bazaar to find them.

For permanent spells, EXTREMELY low rates. Be aware you can get them in a couple, or just never get them!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
1309
I have gotten the or a permanent mount from most packs I have tried, with the exception of Road Warrior and the Christmas packs. FWIW.