Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best Astral and Primary school combos

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
Hi everyone,

Currently I am training a life wizard (lvl 18) still a long way to go till i get to the Astral schools, but I've been trying to figure out the best one would be for a life wizard. The Star school I'm interested in because of the 20% more healing, 15% damage, and 15% critical. The Moon school I'm interested in because of the polymorphing, not only is it cool, but I like the idea of a different play style, and changing to suit the battle. The Sun school is probably my least likely choice because i think its not as useful to life because the accuracy is already 90% and you have to put them in your deck like normal cards and it would be extremely annoying to have to wait for one card to pop up in your deck to just increase the accuracy, damage, type for just one card. I rather going into Star or Moon for various reasons, but i just don't seem to trust Sun that much.

I'd like to have some insight on this.

Thanks

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Coorum2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Currently I am training a life wizard (lvl 18) still a long way to go till i get to the Astral schools, but I've been trying to figure out the best one would be for a life wizard. The Star school I'm interested in because of the 20% more healing, 15% damage, and 15% critical. The Moon school I'm interested in because of the polymorphing, not only is it cool, but I like the idea of a different play style, and changing to suit the battle. The Sun school is probably my least likely choice because i think its not as useful to life because the accuracy is already 90% and you have to put them in your deck like normal cards and it would be extremely annoying to have to wait for one card to pop up in your deck to just increase the accuracy, damage, type for just one card. I rather going into Star or Moon for various reasons, but i just don't seem to trust Sun that much.

Thanks

Anyone that is any good, will invest in Sun School. You don't have to get the accuracy modifiers, but get the damage boost enchantments. From strong all the way up to Colossal, for any and every school. They even help storm and are more trustworthy than any other astral spell. Also, you use them as enchantments, meaning, they take no extra turns to make your spell a lot more powerful.

As far as polymorphs go, they are a big waste of training points. However, some find them fun, since they have only one character. I have a character in every school, so if I want to use fire school, I play my fire character. Some only have 1 or 2 schools, so, they dont have that luxury, for this, polymorphs are ok, I guess, but it seriously loses power boosts, accuracy boosts, resistances, converts. But good luck to you on those polymorphs.

As far as Auras go, they are good, but it is easier and better to just buy the treasure card versions and keep those in your side deck. But that is my opinion.

Good luck to you and hope this helps.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Sun and star for healing and damage boost, moon spells are useless later on in the game, especially for life wizards, they take away all your stats and health and people only gte the treant spell to heal which life can already heal. Sun and stars.

Explorer
Jan 03, 2011
Coorum2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Well i'll give you my two cents:
-- Star school:
Yes you definitely want to invest in this. you can find a use to virtually all the auras available. But as not to waste points don't just buy everything try out some fights first, get experience and from time to time come back and buy what you think you may need.

-- Moon school:
To be honest this one is a huge NO in my opinion. Many of the people who went past Celestia realized that they bought polymorphs just for the novelty of it. Yes it's exciting to fight differently from time to time but from waterworks and onward, you will realize that they are useless and dangerous even. In zafaria (and avalon of course), the fact that the monsters start with huge pips and can use high ranking spells makes polymorphs dangerous. When you morph you don't retain the stats of your character but you take those of the morph including weaknesses. In most cases this means pretty much everything is downgraded. You do NOT want this.
The only two that usually prove remotely useful are cat bandit and treant. However you are life so cat bandit is the only one i would recommend.

-- Sun school
Huge YES! forget the accuracy boost spells since, as you've stated, you have enough accuracy from your spells. But you absolutely want the damage boosters. It's a relatively low cost for the boost it provides for your attacks. My myth discovered those during my early days in waterworks and i have been spamming gargantuan and colossal enhanced frogs since. Yes it is pretty annoying to have even more spells in your deck and sometimes you don't find them in time but it's worth it. This is when what i call "packing light" comes in to play. You need to make sure you equip just the necessary spells for fights as to not be too bothered by those sun spells.

Personally i find the sun school to be the best out of them all. It radically changed my fighting style for the better.

Survivor
Jan 16, 2012
Um, didn't you know Sun not only adds your spell's accuracy, the other side of it also adds damage, something Life seriously lacks in. First the +100 strong, 125 giant, 175 monstrous, then finally 225 gargantuan and 275 colossal. How much is your forest lord going to be with a +275? A life, I think, should get the damage part of life, mend, and vengeance and perhaps moon up to the cat thief/dracon.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Coorum2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Have to say, Sun school is going to be your best school because you get colossal in the end if you get strong, monstrous and gargantuan route.

Star school is important for Empowerment, Berserk, Vengeance and because of your school, Mend.

For me, stray away from the Moon school. You don't need to be a tree if you are Life already. Not even any of the offensive Polymorph types since Forest Lord is going to be your best card anyway. It's a total waste of training points.

BTW, why leave your ice wizard at 37 and then think about Astral Schools for your level 1 Life wizard now?

Archmage
Ronan Lionhand - Storm
Fiona Stardust - Life
Jose Winterbane - Ice

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
As life you want to learn both sun and star school later on and as a second school you want to learn a school with high attack i took storm don't worry about stats you can craft gear later on to help with that. but second school take storm or fire that is your best bet don't take death it does not hit has hard and you don't need to attack to get health as you have a ton of healing spells. Sun school you want the attack boost from it, Star school you want the the acc one for 15% armor pricing also 15% attack 20% critical 20% heal. good luck :)

P.S polymorph i would not worry about to you have all the spells you want and need.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
I would suggest only investing in two different types of star schools, since most duels don't last more than 10 rounds or so.

I would pick one defensive star spell:

Fortify, Empowerment, Mend, or Conviction

I would also pick one offensive star spell:

Amplify, Infallible, Vengenance, or Berserk

When you are ready to cast attack spells against your enemies, make sure your offensive star spell is up. All other times, make sure your defensive star spell is up.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
Sarahnimo wrote:
Coorum2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Have to say, Sun school is going to be your best school because you get colossal in the end if you get strong, monstrous and gargantuan route.

Star school is important for Empowerment, Berserk, Vengeance and because of your school, Mend.

For me, stray away from the Moon school. You don't need to be a tree if you are Life already. Not even any of the offensive Polymorph types since Forest Lord is going to be your best card anyway. It's a total waste of training points.

BTW, why leave your ice wizard at 37 and then think about Astral Schools for your level 1 Life wizard now?

Archmage
Ronan Lionhand - Storm
Fiona Stardust - Life
Jose Winterbane - Ice

Ya my life guy is accually level 18 and I messed up my spells on my ice guy big time...

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
So mainly what everyone is saying is that put most of my talent points into Sun school, and pick and choose from Star school. :D

lvl 18 life wizard

Alex FrostBlood lvl 37 Magus Ice Wizard

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
Coorum2 wrote:
Sarahnimo wrote:
Coorum2 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks

Archmage
Ronan Lionhand - Storm
Fiona Stardust - Life
Jose Winterbane - Ice

Ya my life guy is accually level 18 and I messed up my spells on my ice guy big time...

Either way, choose spells from the astral schools (Sun / Star) that will help you deliver decent damage because Ice or Life school have enough life points and defense already. I may not even recommend Mend for your Life wizard if you plan to be an offensive type later on. Ice at level 37 seem messed up at that stage but with proper gear that boost damage or a pet with ice giver or pain giver , spritely, and defy / proof, it will grow on you instantly. Forest Lord and Frost Giant are powerful spells if used properly

Archmages
Ronan Lionhand
Fiona Stardust
Jose Winterbane

Survivor
Jun 24, 2011
So is there ever a time where it would be good to put your training points into the moon school?

Alex FrostBlood lvl 37 Ice Wizard