Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Best aoe's in the game.

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
In my opinion, i am not basing this off of damage. I am basing it off of how much effect the spell has, and how it stacks up against other aoe spells.

1. Sirens. Hands down, save the questions for never, this is the best aoe in the game, and if people think any other spell is close to sirens, check again. Damage of 11 pip tempest, 5% more then a tc smokescreen, 1 pip (old sirens dispel next spell, but keep pips). Removes 2 blades, thats 2 pips, 14 pip value so far. and taunt all, thats 15 pip value. Sirens cant move from this spot. 9/15

2. Scarecrow. I put this here mainly from, yes its damage ability, but to also heal half of the damage it does, if you got 300 health and good enough blades, and an enchanted scarecrow up, its not going to be fun for the opponent. You now have full health provided they have no shields, and they need to heal. This spell can have any number of pips being worthy of. 7/12

3. Earthquake. I do not put this here for the damage i put it there for the effect. Damage of humongofrog, thats 4 pips, and remove all blades shields and traps, i estimate at an average of 5 pips, depending on the situation, adding up to 9 pips total on average. In 2v2, 3v3, or 4v4, this is usually used to set up massive hits from teammates, or to ruin opponents hits, or both. For that reason, i put them here. 6/9

4. Power Nova. This ruins spells. It ruins those people who think they can blade to death and one hit people. Not to mention, it is a great spell, and a much needed one for balance. This is a fantastic spell overall. The damage of a 5 to 6 pip aoe for balance, and a mass weakness added, Thats just nasty to deal with. Mass weakness maybe 2 to 3 pips, adding up to anywhere from 7-9 pips in this attack. 7/9

5. Storm lord/Frost Giant. I had a tough time with this one, beleive me i really did. I know i am gonna get bombarded with: What! NO fire! what kind of list is this, however, i beleive that rain of fire, scald, fire drag, nor meteor, were worthy of a top 5 placing on the list. Lets look at lord for a second though, It does the damage of a 8 1/2 pip tempest, and it stuns, which i put to value total at around 10. Rain of fire can break shields, but you have time, to heal, or triage before the bulk of the damage is done. With fire dragon, i just found it to top heavy on the damage in the first hit, and no side effect. Frost giant does the damage of a concensus of ice wyvern, and collosus. being 5 pips, and stuns. Just ice having a spell that good, it gets another pip, so 6, and the stun, its at 7 1/2. These spells are just so devistating, they get placed here. Frosty: 7/7 1/2 Zeus: 7/10

So What do you guys think? Feel free to leave back questions, comments, criticism, whatever kind of feedback you would like, just be sure to reread the post before you say something, because i might have already mentioned it,

PS: when i say at the end, in the case of sirens, 9/15, it means that the actual rank of the spell is 9, and i think it adds up to be 15 on the effect.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
I've seen Sirens hit 50K before, with only a couple of blades. But, as much as I love Storm (my level 49 diviner is my favourite wizard), my archmage sorcerer's Power Nova will always be my favourite AOE.

I don't PvP, but still love how a well-placed Weakness trap can completely mess up your enemy's strategy. Now, add 4000 damage to that trap... not a bad trade-off at all!

As far as I'm concerned, Power Nova far outclasses Ra~ yes, Ra has higher base damage, but the after-effect of Weakness is enough to foil an entire attack. Base damage is weak, sure... but when I add in my gear boost, Colossal, Amp, and 3 blades, my Power Novas hit for 4K... most enemies don't even make it to the Weakness part. ;)

(I know that's low damage, compared to the other schools, but it's a big hit for a Balance wizard).

I keep my deck small, and always pack 2 Reshuffle~ because I can use power pips for it, I don't have to pass for 4 rounds... I can keep reshuffling until the end of time and hit those baddies with 4K Novas again and again.

-

Other AOEs I'm partial to: Meteor Strike (which just looks demonic), Tempest (an AOE version of Judge), and Earthquake~ the damage is lame, but hey... all of your blades are gone!

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
I have to say, Tempest and Storm Lord are tied for me.

Tempest - It takes time to stock up pips for it, but when you hit you can kill an enemy one shot. However, during this you can also get defeated.

Storm Lord - Lower damage but it Stuns! And I have hit over two thousand four hundred with it, so it's not entirely useless.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
ionya wrote:

Tempest - It takes time to stock up pips for it, but when you hit you can kill an enemy one shot. However, during this you can also get defeated.

Storm Lord - Lower damage but it Stuns! And I have hit over two thousand four hundred with it, so it's not entirely useless.

Tempest is 80 damage per pip. for 7 pips thats 560 base damage.

Storm lord is 695 damage for 7 pips and it stuns all. I think zeus should be a little higher.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
My favorite AoE has to be Tempest.

Tempest can be used at 1 pip, or at 14 pips. There is no restriction. With a Storm wizard's huge damage boost, Tempest is a one-hit wonder. Especially with a Colossal or Gargantuan.

Similiar to the way Tempest works, my favorite single target spell has to be Judgement.

Judgement can be used at 1 pip, or at 14 pips. There is no restriction. With a Balance wizard's damage boost, Judgement will be a one-hit wonder on almost any mob.

Also, considering, that a fully charged Judgement becomes the most powerful single target attack spell in the game. Especially when boosted with a Colossal or Gargantuan.

Unfortunately with that, any balance monster can resist it, which is unfortunate.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
Oh, no fire. Thats cool. Fire has rain of fire, its INSANE. Rain of fire has the highest base damage in the ENTIRE GAME, with 1100 to all opponents. More than leviathan correct? ;) Thats the power of almost a 14 pip tempest! Unless they have triage, they are in a bad spot. So it is 9/14. :D(Or is it just a little less? lol) Thats just my opinion though, I believe earthquake should be #1 though. lol.

Adherent
Jul 03, 2010
Forest Lord - because Life wizards wait patiently for 58 levels to get this bad boy so they can now play the game like other schools have, some at very low levels.

Prior to this you have to have patience and be a one hit wonder to make it though the game.

Mastermind
Feb 29, 2012
I am partial to scarecrow, being that it is an AoE drain.
I can usually take out any non death mobs in 4 rounds solo, if doubling with my wife (who is also death) the fight is 3 rounds and there is no running around for wisps afterwords.
Damage for a garg, single bladed crow with our boosts (68%) is around 1300 give or take.
Not bad I would say. As a death wiz, we also have the luxury of waiting if needed to throw a higher boosted crow, as you will fill your life right back up.
pods

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
hands down Tempest. its a very flexible AOE spell that you can use at all sorts of enemy and can be overly powerful with proper blading. Storm Lord comes next after this because of stun and pip cost.

Archmages
Ronan Lionhand
Fiona Stardust
Jose Winterbane

Squire
Feb 29, 2012
thejordanator wrote:
ionya wrote:

Tempest is 80 damage per pip. for 7 pips thats 560 base damage.

Storm lord is 695 damage for 7 pips and it stuns all. I think zeus should be a little higher.

Only Storm has this regular spell which means power pips. And while saving up, blades and traps do become useful. Just saying.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Ronster55 wrote:
Oh, no fire. Thats cool. Fire has rain of fire, its INSANE. Rain of fire has the highest base damage in the ENTIRE GAME, with 1100 to all opponents. More than leviathan correct? ;) Thats the power of almost a 14 pip tempest! Unless they have triage, they are in a bad spot. So it is 9/14. :D(Or is it just a little less? lol) Thats just my opinion though, I believe earthquake should be #1 though. lol.

Actually basilisk has the most base damage at 1155 i believe.

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

Yes Rain of fire has the highest damage based in game in AOE hands down.
In AOE
Fire wins sorry all but it's true. Storm wins in single attack but not AOE. Fire damage is put in Dots in like fire dragon and rain of fire. Both do more then storms AOE damage based on the cards. :)

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
Shiningfantasia wrote:

Tempest can be used at 1 pip, or at 14 pips. There is no restriction. With a Storm wizard's huge damage boost, Tempest is a one-hit wonder. Especially with a Colossal or Gargantuan.

Similiar to the way Tempest works, my favorite single target spell has to be Judgement.

Judgement can be used at 1 pip, or at 14 pips. There is no restriction. With a Balance wizard's damage boost, Judgement will be a one-hit wonder on almost any mob.

Also, considering, that a fully charged Judgement becomes the most powerful single target attack spell in the game. Especially when boosted with a Colossal or Gargantuan.

Unfortunately with that, any balance monster can resist it, which is unfortunate.

One pip or 14 pips. It doesnt change the fact that it is 80 damage per pip. Tempest can hit hard. Yes. However It's effect is just gonna be the same, and it is to bland. When i say sirens is 9/15, tempest would be 9/9. It cant even get up to 15, but sirens can do it in 9 pips where as tempest would have to wait and HOPEFULLY get perfect power pips to do the overall effect of an 8 pip sirens. If you only got 4 power pips and 3 normal pips, then you could use an attack that gives just the 880 damage, and waste all of your pips, or save 2 and hit for the same damage and more effect.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
redmist01 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

In AOE
Fire wins sorry all but it's true. Storm wins in single attack but not AOE. Fire damage is put in Dots in like fire dragon and rain of fire. Both do more then storms AOE damage based on the cards. :)

You dont get it do you? Myth uses shift, you are dead. Life uses triage, it is still alive. Plus the DOT on fire dragon isnt strong enough to kill anything.

Storm's damage is all at one time...

That can be good or bad, however since it has one of the best side effects in the game(earthquake on top of that list) i put it(rain) 6th on my list.

Tempest is around 7th

Rain of fire around 6th

Snow angel around 8th

There has to be some good aoe spells that were left out of the top 5, it was supposed to be like that.

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

In AOE

You dont get it do you? Myth uses shift, you are dead. Life uses triage, it is still alive. Plus the DOT on fire dragon isnt strong enough to kill anything.

That can be good or bad, however since it has one of the best side effects in the game(earthquake on top of that list) i put it 6th on my list.

Tempest is around 7th

Rain of fire around 6th

Snow angel around 8th

There has to be some good aoe spells that were left out of the top 5, it was supposed to be like that.

No .. You don't get it , Am talking about damage on the cards alone Not all the other things out there.

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
redmist01 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

In AOE

That can be good or bad, however since it has one of the best side effects in the game(earthquake on top of that list) i put it 6th on my list.

Tempest is around 7th

Rain of fire around 6th

Snow angel around 8th

No .. You don't get it , Am talking about damage on the cards alone Not all the other things out there.

x Face palm x

Read the first paragraph of my original post that should clear things up for you.

thejordanator wrote:
In my opinion, i am not basing this off of damage. I am basing it off of how much effect the spell has, and how it stacks up against other aoe spells.

There you have it.

Defender
Sep 10, 2011
thejordanator wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:

One pip or 14 pips. It doesnt change the fact that it is 80 damage per pip. Tempest can hit hard. Yes. However It's effect is just gonna be the same, and it is to bland. When i say sirens is 9/15, tempest would be 9/9. It cant even get up to 15, but sirens can do it in 9 pips where as tempest would have to wait and HOPEFULLY get perfect power pips to do the overall effect of an 8 pip sirens. If you only got 4 power pips and 3 normal pips, then you could use an attack that gives just the 880 damage, and waste all of your pips, or save 2 and hit for the same damage and more effect.

Considering the damage, you still can't pull out Siren anytime you need a good AOE spell. While Tempest can be used to kill all at any pip cost. So i think flexibility is key for being the best AOE spell in the game. Besides, Id be pulling out a Storm Lord by then before Sirens comes out so pip cost wise, flexibility and effect - I see Siren at third after Tempest and Storm Lord.

But ust to be clear this is my opinion

Archmages
Ronan Lionhand
Fiona Stardust
Jose Winterbane

Grandmaster
Brahm

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

In AOE

Tempest is around 7th

Rain of fire around 6th

Snow angel around 8th

x Face palm x

Read the first paragraph of my original post that should clear things up for you.

thejordanator wrote:

There you have it.

I don't care what you posted I posted what( I )thought about the attacks on cards . Look back to WHO I quoted was not you
Ronster55 wrote:

That should clear things up for you :)

Mastermind
Jul 08, 2011
redmist01 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
redmist01 wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:
thejordanator wrote:
Ronster55 wrote:

I meant AOE wise. lol

In AOE

Tempest is around 7th

Rain of fire around 6th

Snow angel around 8th

x Face palm x

thejordanator wrote:

There you have it.

I don't care what you posted I posted what( I )thought about the attacks on cards . Look back to WHO I quoted was not you
Ronster55 wrote:

That should clear things up for you :)

Rain of fire wins the battle of aoe spell damage, thats it. It has no side effects on the damage. Yes the damage is part of the attack, however it isnt the whole thing. I am not saying damage is nothing, because if i did, then earthquake would be #1.

Because i really dont see the purpose in a spell like this, that is this damage stacked, especially as a dot.

What i believe ronster was trying to say there is it all depends on your situation. If your in a 4v4 and everyone has 3 tower shields on, and the myth has earthquake and humongofrog up, it would use the earthquake, to set up maybe a storm lord, or frost giant, then the next turn maybe a rain of fire, or a snow angel or a fire drag. Finish it off with a mass infection/doom and gloom, and a colossal 1 power pip tempest.

That strategy wouldnt be most effective if they all have stun blocks, and one blade, and a feint on all of your teammates.

Thus different aoe spells fall up and down the list all of the time in everyone's opinion. Scarecrow isnt in my top 5 any more, tempest moved into the #3 slot in its place and earthquake moved up a spot. Rain of fire kicked out frost giant and storm lord, they are sixth. Its now:
1. sirens
2. earthquake
3. tempest
4. power nova
5. rain of fire

is that better guys?