Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance vs Balance in PvE

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 03, 2018
So I'm getting up in levels on my Balance char and starting to hit more issues with Balance vs Balance fights.

I've got 6 Training points saved up and am about to get a 7th. So far I've only gotten Tower Shield.

So I could get Satyr because I've seen that while Balance heals are very good and what I would still use 95% of the time, there are times, especially after someone is KOed, that having a big heal is important. It's almost impossible to revive someone with the Balance heals because if they take additional damage on the next turn they get KOed against before they can heal up. So for groups, Satyr has it's place.

But when soloing, which I do mostly, there is the issue of going against Balance bosses.

So I'm thinking of taking a secondary school all the way to the 42nd level spell. My thoughts areL

Fire: Pro: Fire Elf is great for keep shields down generally, Meteor Strike could be good vs multiple balance minions, lots of high damage direct damage spells. Con: Low accuracy
Death: Pro: High accuracy, I would have Feint, only 2 spells past Feint to max out, heals with damage. Con: Low damage
Myth: Pro: Earthquake, medium accuracy Con: Earthquake, nothing really good except Earthquake, low damage

I could see using an Earthquake > Spectral Blast or Chimera strategy, but would be really expensive on pips.
I like the idea of Fire, but the accuracy scares me.
I wouldn't otherwise bother training Death to Feint, I currently have Feint amulet and Feint on a pet. But it's only 2 more TPs past Feint to max the school out, but 500 damage on Wraith is pretty weak. For that matter I could just stick with Skeletal Pirate.

Are there any other high level Balance guys with experience on what would be most useful for PvE?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
It's a good thing you came here to share your thoughts before indulging in this plan of yours.

You were about to do what most of us advise you not to.

It is true that balance has it, possibly the most difficult going up against it's own school because of the lack of convert.
However, the school has ways to counter rack this.

• Spectral Blast can greatly help especially in boss battles combined with the necessary charms and wards of course.
  • I highly suggest training feint up until and then stop. You don't need wraith, especially if you lack a death mastery.
  • If you're so concerned about healing others massively (which I really don't think you should), you can carry Satyrs among other spells in your side deck. Don't bother wasting your points training the spell. You'll have much better use for them.
  • Don't be fooled into training an entire school up until level 42. Especially without a mastery for the school, this idea will quickly fizzle out (literally at times) ending in your defeat.
  • Instead, you take spells from multiple classes to make you, yourself a better sorcerer.
  • AoE's combined with Feints on the Balance Mobs and Charms can seriously damage these opponents, even if they resist. Of course this technique does not work on bosses, which is why the school has Hydra, Chimera and Spectral Blast.
  • How is your gear? Your gear is very important! Your Damage and resists for example and your Power Pips Percentage.

They're other clever ways to use the school which you will have to learn and develop eventually as the content progressively increases in difficulty.

Consider training in (Amplify, Berserk, Fortify) and (Tough, Giant, Monstrous etc.)

Survivor
Jan 03, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been wondering and doubting about Satyr. I agree it seems like a few TCs in the side is really all that's needed for that, because it's usually only a rare emergency type thing. I'm also trying to get a pet with unicorn, which I'm sure I'll eventually do, which will greatly aid in the healing role.

However I DID just get an Exalted Death Amulet off the secret boss in Olympus. Unfortunately I can't use it until level 90, but that does lend me to think more about putting 2 extra pips into Death for Wraith, especially since I'm not putting any into Life.

However I'm still holding on to my TPs, and the more I think about it the better Fire sounds. I could put nothing into Death and max out Fire instead, which would give a DOT, a Trap, an AoE and a big hitting DD spell. But I would only do that if I got a Fire Mastery Amulet, so for now I'm holding off.

Thanks for the advice though, especially on Satyr, I really wasn't sure about that.

As for my gear, right now I'm well geared. I'm level 35 with full Zeus gear, the Iron spear, the Amulet from Hollow Mountain (gives 75% Feint & 30% Blade) and an Epic Lovely Ladybug.

A lot of people give the generic advice of Tower, Satyr, Feint, so I figured if I choose to only take Tower and one other school I could take that school to 42 and still have a good amount of pips for Sun and Star.