Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards


Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance and me...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 24, 2009
5
I'm really enjoying my level 33 Balance wizard.... BUT....

Is Spectral Blast really usable? Once in a GREAT while it launches off a devastating attack (usually when it uses storm, and the enemy either isn't storm resistant or storm shielded). Most of the time however, I find the enemy either resistant or shielded for 50%+ (I'm in Marleybone right now).

On top of that, I wonder if I'll ever use any attack other than Judgment ever again? Even Hydra doesn't do as much damage per pip cost, especially when you take into account enemy shields and resistances.

Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong with my balance wizard? He played superbly at lower levels, but seems to be stagnating now on the amount of damage he can do.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
543
Defender
Nov 05, 2008
144
elias4444 wrote:
I'm really enjoying my level 33 Balance wizard.... BUT....

Is Spectral Blast really usable? Once in a GREAT while it launches off a devastating attack (usually when it uses storm, and the enemy either isn't storm resistant or storm shielded). Most of the time however, I find the enemy either resistant or shielded for 50%+ (I'm in Marleybone right now).

On top of that, I wonder if I'll ever use any attack other than Judgment ever again? Even Hydra doesn't do as much damage per pip cost, especially when you take into account enemy shields and resistances.

Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong with my balance wizard? He played superbly at lower levels, but seems to be stagnating now on the amount of damage he can do.

i love my balance wizard, but in Marley i nearly got rid of her, untill some one reminded me to use my blades and traps as well as balance blade if you use it all toether you can kick but. Plod on through Marley, it gets better in moo

Defender
Dec 31, 2008
169
For non-balance foes, judgement plus hex and blades may be all you ever need. If I know my foes aren't balance, I use a really skinny deck with just judgements, buffs, a few heals and a reshuffle, and it makes the fights short and sweet.

For balance foes, especially ones with high balance resist, judgement won't do much, and you will need your spectral blast plus elemental blades and traps. Add your balance blade and hex, and you can turn out some serious damage. Balance foes have an annoying tendency to put up elemental shields though, and hydra is nice for removing those (although at high pip cost). Spectral blast and/or hydra, well buffed, are also good against life or death foes, since they tend not to shield against the elements.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2009
21
Unfortunately,
Now you know how young Death felt in Sunken City, or Pyros felt in Krokotopia. Every school has a world section that is a real pain because the enemies are of like types, Myths will hate moosho, but that is all part of the game - you just have to learn to look at your enemy type and adjust your deck before running into battles.

Survivor
Apr 24, 2009
23
Fighting mobs who are specced the same class as you....is why you have a 2nd class.Lighten up on less effective primary spells, and heavy up on the 2nd class spells.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
37
DarkWaters wrote:
Unfortunately,
Now you know how young Death felt in Sunken City, or Pyros felt in Krokotopia. Every school has a world section that is a real pain because the enemies are of like types, Myths will hate moosho, but that is all part of the game - you just have to learn to look at your enemy type and adjust your deck before running into battles.

Well, yes and no.

Death and Fire have Prisms, so fighting someone in your own school is really not that problematic at all. In fact, I like fighting death monsters on my Necromancer, because after I Prism them the boost I get is like an extra trap! Same thing with fighting life creatures on my Theurgist.

Now, my main wizard is a Balance Sorcerer, so I can tell you from personal experience that we don't get anything like that. I'm not complaining, mind you -- I know that Balance has other advantages that basically make up for it. But facing a monster from your own school is an entirely different experience with Balance than it is for any of the other schools.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
543
Blackmyst wrote:
Fighting mobs who are specced the same class as you....is why you have a 2nd class.Lighten up on less effective primary spells, and heavy up on the 2nd class spells.


Actually, that's wrong. Fighting mobs of the same school is you is why you have a prism. The exception is balance, but that's the reason why balance has spectral blast and hydra.

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
40
Survivor
Aug 27, 2008
24
I have a level 43 Balance Wizard, and I have to agree with the TOUGH fights you have against higher-level balance enemies. There were TONS in one mart of MS, and it was a chore trudging through them. Judgment (an AWESOME CARD!) was nerfed against them, and in nearly every fight they would put up an elemental shield. When your main damage options are Spectral Blast and Judgment (maybe I had Hydra by that point, not sure), all it takes is that Elemental Shield to hose you. With Spectral Blast, my luck was always three different types of damage with three casts so that EVERY attack was shielded.

I typically do not depend on my secondary school after WC. Once you start getting power pips and get your prism there is almost no reason to use a second school. BUT, in Balance's case I would highly recommend using the second school when fighting high-level Balance foes. If I was picking Balance as a school I would shy away from an elemental class of secondary school for that reason (Death rocks!).

With my Level 48 Necromancer, I will fight Death over Life anytime! Life enemies ALWAYS seem to plunk down a Death Shield right as I cast Wraith. When I am fighting Death enemies, I jam my deck with prisms and get one out first thing. I have NEVER had a Death enemy cast Death Shield (although sometimes his Life henchman may).

Explorer
Feb 21, 2009
66
elias4444 wrote:
I'm really enjoying my level 33 Balance wizard.... BUT....

Is Spectral Blast really usable? Once in a GREAT while it launches off a devastating attack (usually when it uses storm, and the enemy either isn't storm resistant or storm shielded). Most of the time however, I find the enemy either resistant or shielded for 50%+ (I'm in Marleybone right now).

On top of that, I wonder if I'll ever use any attack other than Judgment ever again? Even Hydra doesn't do as much damage per pip cost, especially when you take into account enemy shields and resistances.

Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong with my balance wizard? He played superbly at lower levels, but seems to be stagnating now on the amount of damage he can do.

Elias,
I have a Balance Wizard (Lvl 35 on Mooshu) and I had the very same problems with Marleybone. I got very frustrated when a Balance enemy would cast Elemental Shield, completely destroying the use of any of my Balance cards. That's when you start using your secondary school. My secondary school is Death, so I got the Bastilla's Deadly Choker to get me Death Trap. With Balanceblade and Hex, your secondary school can become a deadly force. Don't try using secondary school spells that cost over 4-5 pips.