Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 26, 2009
Hi I too came on here when my daughter wanted to play this. She has to ask me first before going on any website so that I can go on first and check it out. Well now we both play mostly together and love this game.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
Greetings Seniors!

Yes! I too am an older player 40+ and have to say I truly enjoy the game. From D&D, EQII and SWG. I'd taken a break from MMORPG's until my daughters told me about W101. I initially signed them both up and made an account for myself but didn't give much thought to playing it. After watching my daughter one evening in August I decided to activate my account and have been hooked aver since. It's September and I'm now a 45th level Conjurer and also working on a 21st level Death/Life character as well.

I appreciate the developers creating a world that affords me a fun way to enjoy a MMORPG with my teenage daughters and still be an "adult" about it.

Christo Shadowmancer
45 level Conjurer

Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
Hi, I older, I like the format and the no cussing and etc. rules, I play for relaxing and challenge and fun and good clean interaction for an enjoyable game experience, the stuff you mentioned aggravates and annoys me in online games and i usually vere away from those, wizards is cool and I am a granmaster chasing down the evil Mallistaire HAHAHAHA!!

Survivor
May 18, 2009
older player here my name is Amber and a grandmaster of life if you do see me please add me

Survivor
Jul 05, 2009
i'm not an older player but i've met a whole bunch including my mom and uncle

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
I too am an older player and a grandfather. Prior to my son going into the Army and starting his own life we used to play network games on our home network. It gave us a great way to spend time to gether in the evenings and on rainy days. He now lives two time zones away and this gives him and I some fun time playing together in a friendly environment with little to no stress.

babybncrmom wrote:
I am an older player who was lured here by my nine year old son. He sawthe commercial on Cartoon Network and had to play it. After testing it out to make sure he would be safe I was hooked. I even got my 17 year old son to try it and now we play together and help my youngest.

Victoria
Life Wizard
Mooshu

I am an old one myself. You would be amazed as to how many of us there are. Yes, amazed! Enjoy the game and spread the word.

The Wise one
Brahm Wraith
Life Wizard - Grand Master

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2009
Bartleby wrote:
babybncrmom wrote:
I am an older player who was lured here by my nine year old son. He sawthe commercial on Cartoon Network and had to play it. After testing it out to make sure he would be safe I was hooked. I even got my 17 year old son to try it and now we play together and help my youngest.

Victoria
Life Wizard
Mooshu

I am an old one myself. You would be amazed as to how many of us there are. Yes, amazed! Enjoy the game and spread the word.

The Wise one
Brahm Wraith

woah bartelby =]

yea i'm not an older player but my friend and his family play together. he's lucky lol.

i wanted my parents to try and they just said its (owned by censor)...what a bunch of losers they just think its stupid because they think all games are the same... stupid. they didn't even try it.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
I'm quite mature. I followed another older player, then introduced my kids. Another player that I'm been hanging out (til the wee hours of the morning) with was stunned when I apologized for another chatty player that was following me ("The chatty kid is my son, please forgive him..."). He thought I was a kid. He didn't know real adults played this game.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
hi.
my mom plays and she is old. (well, kinda)
my dad plays at night. (he's a owl like man that plays games. lol)
my grandma plays. (OK, i play for her.)
my grandpa plays.(i made him a wizard and he made an account and his time of playing without subscribing ran out.)

um, i think thats it. i'm not that old but it almost my birthday. lol

MYTH KING OUT!
thomasgiantcaller, master myth wizard and lvl 43. (if you wanna add me, i'll be in mooshu's commons in scarecrow realm. btw, i',m myth and DEATH)

o, and kivech, some games DON'T have real-like vilonce, but they DO get kids to do what they DO!
ok? just saying.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2009
Bartleby wrote:
babybncrmom wrote:

Victoria
Life Wizard
Mooshu

The Wise one
Brahm Wraith

I'm an older player too 20+ and I love this game. I play it all the time and sometimes I keep playing till the sun starts to come up. :P

Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
Another older player. My daughter found this game and I have been playing with her ever since. :D

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Sleep28 wrote:
Another older player. My daughter found this game and I have been playing with her ever since. :D

Haha, this thread is still going, great! So many older gamers. ^_^

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
I'm also a "mature" player. My very young son and I share one character (almost grandmaster!) and are working on some other, less experienced characters. With the parental controls it's easy to make sure that he's having a fun, safe experience. The only problem is that it can be quite confusing for some of our character's "friends" when my son plays vs. my playing. Our styles of play are a bit different (obviously). I prefer him to have the master character help out others in Wizard City rather than finish Dragonspyre. I have to say my son is learning great things about helping out, being nice, asking if it's ok to join a battle before just jumping in, etc. And saying "Thanks" a lot! We love the game!

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
my grandson found this game ands wanted me to try it so he could get something free. I am now and have been hooked. Love the game.

Robert Fireshade
37 pyro

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
Older player speaking (well, typing.) I haven't told anyone else i play though, for the risk of getting taunted and bullied for the rest of my life.

Survivor
Apr 14, 2009
LaadyX wrote:

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I'm an older player. I play with my grandchildren, who originally got me hooked, but then I became a subscriber and play when they aren't around. My sister who is also a grandmother is a subscriber and when she travels with her job, we schedule Wizard time so we can play together.

How old am I? Well, let's just say that if my sons hadn't taken so long to produce grandchildren for me, I'd be a great-grandmother by now!

I've played other on-line games and at one point before I retired, I ran a small ISP business and we hosted our own on-line game with several thousand players from all around the world. Wizard 101 beats them all, hands down.

Calamity Sparkleheart, lvl 50 Life

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
Ok, i am an older also. Started playing because my son wanted to. I am so hooked its not funning. I also played another and the drama was out of control. Wizard101 so far has been tons better in stopping that stuff. I ve only been asked a couple times to be some ones girlfriend.LOL What I love most is once my wizard hits 50, I can start a whole new one and have a slightly different exprience. Kudos to wizard101.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2009
"Older gamers" you ask?

- I used to play the Wizardry text based computer games.
- 'Eye of the Beholder 2' will always be one of my favs.
- I was born during the Viet Nam war.
- My first computer was the Timex Sinclair. Later a Ti99-4A that used a cassette recorder to store data.
- I used punch cards to write programs in college in Basic, Fortran and Pascal.
- I still cherish my collection of about 300 vinyl record albums.
- I remember when the Internet used to be called MilNet. It was a network used by the military to transfer data securely between installations. The backbone of the modern Internet was built by AT&T, IBM, MaeWest, MaeEast and MCI with a lot of support from the National Science Foundation and DARPA.
- I remember when dirt was still rock (j/k) ;)
- I have beta tested Miridian 59, Everquest, EQ2, WoW, Dark Age of Camelot, City of Heroes, Eve Online, etc, etc.
- Currently playing Atlantica Online and Perfect World...
- And of course Wizard101
- Occupation: Geologist. I feel as old as rocks, so why not study them?

Please excuse my ramblings. Does that answer your question? I shall now retire to my favorite recliner and bask in the flickering magic that is my big-screen television 8)

~ Ian Mistweaver
Magus Sorcerer
Order of the Fang

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I'm an older player, started playing in June. My daughter and I love it and it helps keep us together during the school year (while she's at her dads). We've had a blast questing with payers of all ages, and we look forward to future additions to the game.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2009
Older player here, too. I started with my daughter, and I help her with her quests. I enjoy the three worlds I've seen so far (Grizzleheim, Wizard City and Krokotopia).

Survivor
Aug 07, 2008
20 here goign for 21 , i'll stay in wizard101 for abig while

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
Survivor
Sep 17, 2009
Adult player as well. But I mainly play because my brother plays and I help him as much as I can (he has special needs and I help him with figuring out quests, game mechanics, the occasional boss fight, and I pay the bills).

I come from Everquest 1, Everquest 2, Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and more recently Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I suspended my WoW account so that I could play Wizard 101 for a while.

There's a lot about Wizard 101 that could use improvement. I think if there was a way to give the developers feedback and if they'd take some of it into consideration Wizard 101 could become a great game.

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
Another older player here. My daughter started playing and invited me to start a character. (This is her account.) I love it. It's fun, relatively easy and safe. That said, I'd like to join up witha group of older players and get more done. Not to mention have more parties.