Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
pawpaws on Dec 31, 2017 wrote:
I'm in the same age bracket as you, never have to grow up.
I love this game but am cautious about getting to friendly with anyone after a lot of drama. Not only in Wizard101 but other games. It's sad to admit but it's the older players that cause the drama, kids can be rude and foolish and sometimes a pain with their begging for gifts etc., but it's the adults that bring the drama of their lives with them. I quit playing this game for several years because of just this problem. I am back now and love the game as much as ever. However while I am friendly towards other players I pretty much keep to myself now.

good luck and happy gaming
I only have 'friends' who are there in case we need a group to face some dungeon. I'm too old for the drama, and if I need rude behavior, I've neighbors who are happy to oblige. It's hard to have any sort of conversation, because it's like shouting in a courtyard, everyone can hear you, and might comment. The chat at your 'castle' is more private, but no easier to type in. It's just a place to exercise my brain, and have a bit of fun in the process. It's not a 'hangout' to converse and get to know new people. Not for me.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
djweber2010 on Jan 5, 2018 wrote:
older player here love this game I play to leave all the stress of day to day life behind am disabled so am home a lot alone playing here gives me a sense of belonging
I share your situation, and attitude. It's nice to be 'someone else' who goes easily from place to place, and has no job, nor any responsibilities. I find the game to be a good way to keep my mind sharp, and my stress low. I wish they would include another "low-level world" like Wizard University, for those of us who just want a stress free game, with fairly easy quests, which can occupy an otherwise mundane existence. I'd play it more than I do now, and a subscription would be worth the price.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
Rogan DeathRider on Jan 12, 2018 wrote:
How about a 65 year old who is handicapped with difficulty walking. That's me. Been all over the world and found this game to keep my mind occupied and functioning in real time. Past Social Worker and US Army veteran. i just go around helping out as have maxed out all characters at one time or another but cant afford to maintain them all, so I use my life character mainly.
I've fire wizard that I use, but I've got others, just for variety. I've Death character, and she's fun to play, with silver hair and a broom. lol At our age, so much of life can be a disappointment, but this game is not. (often) If they'd just realize that we are an audience, and adjust a few things, so we could relate better, then it would be perfect. A diner, or coffee shop, where we could go to exchange ideas and information, or maybe the use of couches and benches, in one's home, would make it more enjoyable to invite someone over just to chat and have tea. (I've working tea set, but can't sit to enjoy it.)

Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
DarkCasterr on Feb 3, 2018 wrote:
Yep i'm 28, Who said an adult cant play childrens games XD
And who said this was a children's game? It's suitable for children, but is more tailored for those with some wisdom and experience. Not that children can't grow up, playing it, but it's an adult game, for children.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2016
Hero
Aug 23, 2016
Gorman Deathstalke... on Mar 22, 2018 wrote:
I remember how hard it was, as a child in elementary school, learning how to spell the President's name. Eisenhower was quite a large word to learn, when the reading books were "Fun with Dick and Jane" and such. I got out of High School just in time to be in on the Last few years, of the war in Vietnam, but I enjoy this game anyway, it gives me something to do, in retirement, that occupies my mind and is fun. I was already in High School when the first super bowl was played. 1967 was a good year, I made the all-state choir.
1967 was also the year Mickey Mantle broke Babe Ruth's Home Run record (on my birthday coincidentally).

Dick and Jane were still part of my elementary experience in the early 70s and I'll say Nixon, Ford and Carter were much easier to spell.

I remember when my Dad came home, his unit was in California ready to ship when they ended the war and halted his unit's departure.

I'm not yet retired (self-employed and full time care giver to my wife) but Wizards is a GREAT place to leave behind the crap I deal with in meatspace on a daily basis.

Steven Ghoststalker

Hero
Aug 23, 2016
Gorman Deathstalke... on Mar 22, 2018 wrote:
I share your situation, and attitude. It's nice to be 'someone else' who goes easily from place to place, and has no job, nor any responsibilities. I find the game to be a good way to keep my mind sharp, and my stress low. I wish they would include another "low-level world" like Wizard University, for those of us who just want a stress free game, with fairly easy quests, which can occupy an otherwise mundane existence. I'd play it more than I do now, and a subscription would be worth the price.
May I suggest, doing the Gravulum Daily Quests, Gardening, and Pet Training. I don't go questing in (currently Aztreca) every day because some of those high level quests take forever when soloing, and sometimes take a few attempts to beat (not relaxing, fun? yes but a different fun).

But yeah, another lower level world with daily quests. Maybe Professor Drake needs us to pick up his laundry from Mooshu or his dry cleaning from Avalon.

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Jan 31, 2018
I'm an older player and I'm into it more than my tween son and most of the players I meet are "older players" lol so keep on playin'

Survivor
Mar 12, 2014
Well I'm 17, if that's considered old enough haha... I thought mostly kids played this game and I felt bad for enjoying it so much, but seeing all this people and the different ages we've got; it's quite surprising!!

So since I recently bought my membership, I was looking to find a partner who'd start up fresh with a new character (with me). If you're a teen and you want to join me leveling up and questing, hit me up!

Survivor
Oct 31, 2013
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Aha, yes! I've met a lot of very unique individuals and its rather easy to make friends on this game. You can customize the icon for each friend, and just overall it's a very successful fantasy game. It's still in development, but it does attract a lot of younger audiences who seek to just have fun and make friends. Hopefully they make more features for the non-members though, it seems there's not too much yet, but please remember it is in development and I'm sure they are open to any and all suggestions!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The other day someone who said they just joined the game a day before (but yet they knew how to send a private message, even though they claimed not to know where to find their school building) was having an OK chat with me and suddenly said something like pardon me for asking but how old are you.

I wanted to say 'I'm a three inch tall cartoon. I have no age.' Instead I just put them on Ignore.

It's all well and good if both decide after knowing each other a while to talk about real life a bit but to come out with how old are you two minutes after meeting someone...please don't do that. It really breaks the fourth wall or the illusion of pretend land, instead of breaking the ice.

Oh and they were kind of begging for 'stuff' so that was another reason. I say 'kind of' because I probably encouraged it to some extent at first.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
I'm still quite young (but will be out of high school pretty soon), though I feel as if I'm in my 40s when I'm talking to people around my age lol. I seem to connect more with the adults.

And this game is certainly more suited for older players. After all, children can't buy anything without their parents' permission, nor do they have a card. I don't see why adults can't play Wizard101. It's quite irritating too when the younger players, especially in PvP, use "wizmom" or "wizdad" as an insult. There's no reason why a dad or a mom can't play this game.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2017
They have an ignore option for the immature, beggars and just plain rude players. I don't bother reporting them. Just too easy to ignore them. Old as dirt, here and love this game. :D

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I am an older player also and immediately got hooked after setting up the account for my niece. I really love socializing with everybody. You get to talking to people, you make friends with them, you can quest and have really nice conversations. They can also be higher level players and help you with bosses and extra fights and give you some extra advice. I have so much fun on this game .

Survivor
Sep 26, 2010
I am a 'older gamer', I wouldn't say I am an adult, but I am in highschool. I say this because I know a lot of people think Wizard101 is a 'kid's game', but it is incredibly well made and I have been playing since it's launch.

~Aedan ShadowWalker

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
I'm 18, so I'm an adult. I'm by no means old though.
Always had a thing for this game but couldn't afford a monthly sub.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2011
I've been playing wizards for around 8 or 9 years. I'm 62. I have many friends who are close to my age and they're not that hard to find thank goodness. I'm raising my sixth wizard and it's at level 120. The rest are 125. I really wish King's Isle would have a couple of realms which were only for adults. That would solve the problem of not being able to communicate freely with other adults.

I love Wizard 101. Not to say it doesn't have it's issues, but I still love it.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
I started playing this game when I was in middle school and now I'm about to graduate college. This is an awesome game for any age. It's really cool to see how many "older" wizards play this game.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2017
I always have people my age (highschool) give me grief for playing this kids game. But lemme tell ya, as you level up and reach more difficult worlds, it doesn't seem like a kids oriented game at all. It can reach a point of difficulty where even I get frustrated! And I'm incredibly patient!

So next time someone makes a comment regarding you playing Wizard101, remember that it can actually be quite advanced at times!

Defender
Jul 01, 2015
I don't find Wizard101 only for small children. Its quite fun

Andrew

Survivor
Jun 01, 2018
Victoria CrowBlood Lvl 37 Magus Necromancer --20 years old

Rowan WildBlade Lvl 37 Adept Pyromancer --37 years old

Survivor
Oct 23, 2012
I just recently got back into the game! I used to play it a lot in middle school, but lost touch once I was stuck in Marleybone/ran out of crowns. Now I'm fresh into adulthood, questing in Dragonspyre, and thoroughly enjoying a game most regard as a "kids-only" game! It's hard not to; the story/world is fun and captivating, and the battle system is well developed and strategic.

I'd love to meet up with players in my own age group, maybe to quest with or even start pvp, but I'm not quite sure how to do so without making it awkward. Whenever I talk to people in game, my anxiety always gets the best of me

Survivor
Apr 23, 2010
Lily SilverThorn on Jul 17, 2018 wrote:
I just recently got back into the game! I used to play it a lot in middle school, but lost touch once I was stuck in Marleybone/ran out of crowns. Now I'm fresh into adulthood, questing in Dragonspyre, and thoroughly enjoying a game most regard as a "kids-only" game! It's hard not to; the story/world is fun and captivating, and the battle system is well developed and strategic.

I'd love to meet up with players in my own age group, maybe to quest with or even start pvp, but I'm not quite sure how to do so without making it awkward. Whenever I talk to people in game, my anxiety always gets the best of me
I feel the exact same way. I played wiz maybe a year after it came out, and stopped once I ran out of crowns. I honestly didn't plan to come back. But the memories of the good times I had pulled me back in just to check it out. So much has changed, but I really am glad I came back. And being "fresh into adulthood" too, I've been able to continue the story line.

My best advice is to use the team helper for bosses bc you'll be compelled to talk to your teammates for strategy. Also, pvp? And just asking people where they got a neat piece of gear or pet might help you become less anxious.

Good Luck! Have Fun! And Welcome Back!

ROCKS

Survivor
Feb 25, 2011
I'm old enough to be a teacher, but not yet middle-aged if that gives you a range. My mother plays the game with me as well.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2009
I’ve been playing since 2009. My kids and grandkids play too so have fun and enjoy!