Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
I am an older player as well, with two children on the site. I enjoy MMORPGs in general, and when I find one my kids like, I try it out, in case I have to help them along in the game.

Survivor
Apr 23, 2009
Grown-up here, as well. My 5 year old son started playing. Now we play together. He had to teach me how to play. (we are lv33 death student)

He also taught me how to use the XBox360 controller so I could play Fable.

It is so fun to play together. My husband just laughs and laughs when we get so excited talking about the loot we have received and strategies for playing. We are getting ready to try to solo Nightside so we had a big long stategy discussion. He is 5 and just starting kindergarten- but he is a genius ( I might be biased)- he already reads and has excellent math skills. I swear it is due to playing games like these. (yes, he gets plenty of outside time too- he is a well balanced child- so not to worry!)

He tells me the other day- "Mom, we have eight pips" First off, I had no clue what pips were much less how to tell how many- so he explained where to look- OH! That's what those glowy things are around our feet. I said we only have six- he says the gold ones are worth two each- I was just blown away.

Completely off-subject but can someone tell me what MMO stands for?

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Nicolplix wrote:
Grown-up here, as well. My 5 year old son started playing. Now we play together. He had to teach me how to play. (we are lv33 death student)

He also taught me how to use the XBox360 controller so I could play Fable.

It is so fun to play together. My husband just laughs and laughs when we get so excited talking about the loot we have received and strategies for playing. We are getting ready to try to solo Nightside so we had a big long stategy discussion. He is 5 and just starting kindergarten- but he is a genius ( I might be biased)- he already reads and has excellent math skills. I swear it is due to playing games like these. (yes, he gets plenty of outside time too- he is a well balanced child- so not to worry!)

He tells me the other day- "Mom, we have eight pips" First off, I had no clue what pips were much less how to tell how many- so he explained where to look- OH! That's what those glowy things are around our feet. I said we only have six- he says the gold ones are worth two each- I was just blown away.

Completely off-subject but can someone tell me what MMO stands for?

Massive Multiplayer Online

So, this would be an MMORPG - Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2009
"Older gamer" here, married, no kids, one dog (for the record, Molly is our dog, I'm a guy). My wife plays, too, and when work takes me on the road, we'll play online together. Really, I'm surprised I don't run into more adults (or maybe I have, and just haven't noticed). A lot of us grew up playing Magic the Gathering, and this is a lot like that, except with a storyline and cool animations. Personally, most MMOs leave me cold, they just seem like so much clicking, but this requires strategy and stuff. And I really enjoy the overall whimsical feeling.

Great work, KingsIsle!

Survivor
Aug 07, 2009
I'm also an older player. My daughter first started playing and would have me play the games for her to get gold. Then it was helping fight battles for her with the bosses when she couldn't get help and i resisted at first but soon got hooked. Got my own account and been playing just about everyday with her and solo for the last few weeks. This game just draws you in and that it is not to complicated to figure out plus i got my daughter to explain these things to me, it makes her feel smart. Even if I know the anwser I just pretend and tell her how smart she is and she gets all excited and boost her morale and that is a game i'm willing to pay for to see that smile on her face as well as when we defeat a boss together. Cheers, see you around.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
yet another older (well, old not older lol) player here... my 10 year old wanted to try it.. saw the commercials. So, i said sure.... after I watched him for a bit (before subscribing) - i decided to join as well. No we are both HOOKED. I like trying to one up him on health/mana... He is a lvl30 with 1341 health, im lvl20 with 1450! lol... makes him mad.

Its a very well done game - safe environment (except for the card sharks [treasure card scammers]) - I love it.

Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
Yup! Older player here too! Do enjoy the game tremendously! Usually am floating around on the less populated servers. What servers is everyone else on? I have a level 17 Death/fire wizard named suri nightbreeze. Would love a partner to do tough quests and instances!

Survivor
Sep 17, 2008
Yah, I'm an older player. Level 41, here! I have been playing for around a year now!

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
I don't know. Is 56 "older?" My 10-year-old nephew spent about two weeks trying to get me to check it out, and when I did, to see if it was really suitable for my own kids, I got instantly hooked, and actually eager to sign up the kids. Even put the 4-year-old on though she can't really play it yet. My number one character is about to finish up Marleybone. I feel like a kid again.

Explorer
Aug 29, 2009
Hello Everybody!

I just discovered this game and am completely addicted to it. I've played a parrrrticular MMORPG game for almost 6 years now and although I haven't reached every goal the game has to offer, I need a break from it. I enjoy working with others to meet a goal but I also like to play alone at times. This game allows for both.

I introduced my sweetie to this game and we now play together. I have more than one wizard though because he wants me to stay with him at every level and turn and I also want to zoom ahead so I have a wizard for him and a wizard that I can go at my own speed. I also introduced a friend from the other MMORPG game I play and she is also addicted.

My oldest grandson might just get a new computer for his birthday so he can also play this game, but for now, I have no children in the game.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
I'm glad to have run across this topic. I'm an older gamer too; I subscribed to play with my kids. I play World of Warcraft where I have a level 80 tank night elf, among many alternates. My kids wanted to play WoW too, but I didn't want to pay for multiple subscriptions (about $14/mo each). So we had looked at Fusion Fall, but it wasn't as fun. Then we saw Wizard 101 on TV and thought it looked good. After a week of the free trial, we decided it was worth the subscription. I have a level 30 Fire/Ice wizard, my son has a level 29 Death/Myth, and my daughter has a level 32 Storm/Life.
I played Dungeons and Dragons in High School in the late 70's; to give a clue about my age.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2008
Yup older gamer here ;)

lvoe playing w/th my kids..sometimes under (she's my daughter wizard)
GRACE FROSTAL~lvl 50
but i got my own, so you will find me more on
PAIGE RIDER ~ lvl 10

You know, there should be a realm where only adults can play~
or we should all just set specific realms where "WE" adults can meet ;)

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
Ah, I am too an older player. Wanted to try it out and now I have 2 accounts.

I enjoy the game so much I play both accounts at once.

Now it would be nice to join up with some other older players from time to time.

My main wizards are:

Allison Lifewalker lvl 5 - Life and Ice schools
Alicia Lifewalker lvl 5 - Life and Fire schools
Nathan Lifewalker lvl 16 - Life and Death schools
Nathaniel Lifewalker lvl 16 - Life and Death schools

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
Older gamer here. Definately not your normal 'MMO' that I'm used to, but this has been a great break from the drama caused in there :)

-Timothy Rainweaver

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
I'm an older player! and I am absolutly in love with the game!
My boyfriend ever plays it. :P If people think it is only for young kids they are sadly mistaken. and I don't care what they think because I think it is fun and amazing! :P Be the gamer you want to be! I may be a gamer but i am not child like nor uncool. Be yourself! and everything will turn out fine!

Survivor
May 14, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
yes i too am an old man and have met others my age and w have a good time playing and helping each other.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
slewme wrote:

Another old guy here, kids are out of the house semi retired and i love this game. Old time D&D player and been playing mudds before any of these morp's came out but i find that there are several of us out there and only a few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm

Helllo Everyone, I'm also a Much older player and I love this game.. I also was playing another game where there was just way to much dramma and KS'ing. I like this game as you can play by yourself or with others. My probem is WHere do I get pets like all the rest have? I'm now a lvl 28 and still haven't gotten any new pets and can't find where to buy them... I have subscribed for a year so the pet of the month is out of the question.
Love and Light to all
Moonfire1

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Moonfire1 wrote:
My probem is WHere do I get pets like all the rest have? I'm now a lvl 28 and still haven't gotten any new pets and can't find where to buy them... I have subscribed for a year so the pet of the month is out of the question.

You can get pet drops throughout the game from Boss encounters. Many posts on the boards suggest where you can go, the big problem is the low drop rate, which means you need to 'farm' (repeat the encount till you get what you want).

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
I started playing to help my grandson who is five years old. I soon got my own character. I love this game!. It is so clever and well designed. I have met a few adults on the game. It is usually easy to spot adults by the way they play. I have to say I have the best time when I'm group up with kids I'm sure are in early teens. I haven't met anyone who is my age but I've always said I'm REALLY only 12 years old and here I can be !

Survivor
Apr 22, 2009
I'm an older adult and enjoy playing. Always interested in making friends and playing with other members.

Survivor
Sep 04, 2009

I am in my 20's,and I LOVE this game! I just started playing a few days ago. I even bought a month subscription!

Survivor
Mar 17, 2009
I am an older player who was lured here by my nine year old son. He sawthe commercial on Cartoon Network and had to play it. After testing it out to make sure he would be safe I was hooked. I even got my 17 year old son to try it and now we play together and help my youngest.

Victoria
Life Wizard
Mooshu

Survivor
Jan 11, 2009
I'm a kid but i know five adults, one of them is fifty three, but adults are the nicest people on the game. teens and older boys and girls are the meanest. adults dont yell who needs a girl or boy in the commons all day long. which is good :)

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
I'm an older player as well. I grew up learning about RPG's by playing D&D and then as a young adult my wife and I played MtG. This nicely combines elements of both. My 11 y.o. daughter saw the commercails for this game and gave it a try. She showed it to her younger siblings and myself. Now we all play and aid each other. Instance levels are so much easier when you don't need to type out stratigy/attack instructions; just speak them.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
I'm also an older player, senior citizen in fact and proud of it. I love the game. I have three characters and one is a grandmaster. When someone ask me how old I am I just say, grandma age.

I like it when I "run into" another older player since we can help each other with out all the chit chat. I love the game.

Moria Lifebringer - Grandmaster Life
Moria Dragonblood - Level 15 Death
Moria Firebringer - Level 15 Fire