Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 22, 2016
Now, here's a quote from C.S Lewis himself (Author of the Chronicles of Narnia) that I had to do some digging for. I came across it awhile back and had a pickle of a time finding it again. You're welcome!

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of merely as a descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of being childish and the desire to be very grown up."

Survivor
Sep 03, 2011
Survivor
Mar 05, 2015
I am a older player as well.

Survivor
Jan 13, 2009
I've been playing off-and-on for years. I'm 48, and I talked a former coworker into playing too for about 2 years. She is in her 50s. I stopped playing for a while, but then I discovered that I can run Wizard 101 on my Linux pc at home (with the help of Crossover software), so I've been playing more frequently during the last year.

Survivor
Mar 23, 2016
I am a older player I love the classes

Survivor
Sep 01, 2010
i started to play from 2009

Survivor
Nov 21, 2009
I am a grandma. I have been playing this game off and on for over 5 years now. P.S. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to say my age.

I love this game for all of the reasons everybody stated before. My current top ten reasons for loving Wizard 101:

1. The graphics - Wizard 101 has totally awesome graphics!

2. The story lines - Wizard 101 has complex historical and mythological story lines woven into its gameplay.
Yet, these story lines are presented in a simplified and easily understood manner, intended for younger people, so that my younger family members could also play.

3. Open chat - I would find it very boring and frustrating not to be able to have open chat. Also I have met many nice, friendly, and helpful people, because I have open chat and so did they.

4. Other players - I have met so many other people while playing this game. For the most part, they have been friendly, helpful, and caring. And if someone doesn't treat you good, you can just ignore them. There is a button for that.

5. The price - It's free if you don't mind being limited to a small area. Or you have several options on ways to pay to play the game, but all of the prices are very good deals compared to other games of similar quality.

6. Being able to buy and decorate houses in game; which removes my desire to play house decorating games elswhere.

7. Being able to make my own special items, such as treasure cards, jewelry, clothing, and other equipment.

8. Pets! - So many different kinds of pets, training, breeding, racing, helping us out in battle! Pets are awesome!

9. Mounts! - I love my mount!

10 . The Devs! - Last, but not least! These awesome people have brought us a high quality game that so many of us enjoy for quite a few years now, and are totally responsible for all of the above cool things and more. And, they keep us playing by constantly improving it, and making it interesting for intelligent people..

Survivor
Mar 25, 2016
Greetings,

I recently got back into Wizard 101 after few years of not playing it- it's been forever. And I can say, it's more funner than I remember it being, having a blast and brought a few friends along. I don't care how old I am, the game is fun.

Defender
Feb 22, 2016
TucsonWizard on Mar 11, 2016 wrote:
I spent an hour last night helping my... wait for it... great-grandson while he quested in Krok. So yes, older people (sometimes much older) play this game. Hey, it keeps me out of the AARP meetings. Strategy games aren't age restrictive and basically, at its heart this is a strategy game.
Your children's children have children of their own?

For some reason that's fun to say!~

Survivor
Jul 07, 2010
Also an older player. 43 years young. Stay at home mom. I play with my kids. LOL! And I consider myself a "mom" to the littleuns who play in game.

Feel free to add me: Brianna Earththistle, Brecken Windsong, Angela Shadowsinger, Alexis Stormsong, Alexandria Deathrunner, Tatiana Silverbane.

None of my characters are maxed. The highest level I have is Tatiana Silverbane lvl. 32

Looking forward to meeting the other, ahem, elders in game!

Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
I am a college student who plays. I started playing this game around 2009 and here I am, still playing. Started college 2 years ago and the stress that comes with it, this game helps me unwind when I've had a rough day or finished my homework. I don't see a problem with older folks playing. This game is all about strategy. Yeah, it's fun at the beginning, but with the new features that they have added on, it's gotten difficult. There's no such thing as "too old".

Survivor
Mar 24, 2016
I am a student and have played with older people to

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
Uncle Sweeney on Mar 11, 2016 wrote:
Now, here's a quote from C.S Lewis himself (Author of the Chronicles of Narnia) that I had to do some digging for. I came across it awhile back and had a pickle of a time finding it again. You're welcome!

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of merely as a descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of being childish and the desire to be very grown up."
I always loved C. S. Lewis since I first read his work back in the seventies. That should give some indication of my age. I have been playing for about five years now and I feel that the higher levels feel like they were designed for adults, not kids. The highest any of my kids has gotten is Celestia.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2011
i started playing in 2008 when i saw the first commercial but this is my 3rd wizard which was from 2011. i had two wizards before this one. i have pretty much played wizard101 for almost half of my life (started when 8 and now i am 14)

Erica Goldsteed

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I've replied to this thread before, somewhere waaaaay back when, but I recently started playing again, so I suppose that warrants another post! I started playing back when the game first came out, but then quit for a while, then I came back when Pirates launched, but then work and RL got too busy - (started a new job, etc). Now things are settled down again, and I am back again, hopefully to stay a while! (I bought a years membership, so I better be around a while, anyway! )

I'm a 43 (well, I'll turn 44 this weekend) year old navy vet, a recent grandfather (since December), and a gamer. I always have fun when I'm playing this little game, and kept missing it when I was away. I started a new little student, Jonathan Spiritwalker, when I came back, so feel free to look me up as well!

Survivor
Jan 08, 2010
I'm an older player myself and have been playing this game for several years. When I started playing this game it was mostly adults playing it. Wish we could state our wizards levels and our ages on the game it is not doing any harm to anybody.

Hero
Nov 22, 2010
CHRISTINADEATH690 on May 26, 2016 wrote:
I'm an older player myself and have been playing this game for several years. When I started playing this game it was mostly adults playing it. Wish we could state our wizards levels and our ages on the game it is not doing any harm to anybody.
um, yeah it could do harm. A lot of harm.

There are thousands of people playing this game, and a lot of them are young kids. young as 4 or 5.

And there are adults playing that do NOT have the best intentions when it comes to young kids.

You want an innocent young kid to tell some not to innocent adult their age?

Not only that, how many teens do you think are in the game that would love to be able to tell you they were older than they are? Or even adults. for that matter.

The internet is not a safe place, and personal details should never be given out online. Anywhere.

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
Im an older player who has just recently come back to the game. Started playing a bit after it first released with my youngest daughter and she just talked me into coming back with her to play, so we are at it again. Great game for a family to play. Although I think I play this more than she does. She is having a hard time breaking her addiction to World of Warcraft.

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
I'm a mid-aged player. Not an adult, but not a kid. I played it as a kid though too. I got back into it when wondering "Hmmmmm. I wonder if my old password still works", and was instantly hooked again, no small thanks due to the fishing system making my old house a great source of profit.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
I am older than the average wizard, I would venture to guess. I am a grandmother who joined to game for my 5 year old grandson, who is now 11. So, I have been playing a long time. I play more than he does. I will say that there are some Wizards in this game who also call names and try to intimidate you during battles, which I don't appreciate. I am playing for fun and they take it way too seriously. All in all, it's a great time waster! LOL

Explorer
Apr 10, 2013
I am not an older player for sure, but boy do I wish there were more of you guys. There are so many players who create drama just for the fun of it, and it takes away from the game. I have met a few "older" players in the game and I love it! They are so much more mature and fun to quest with, seriously all this drama is getting old. So please take my advice and don't refrain yourself from this superb game, after all it was made for everyone! By the way if there is anyone here who wants to quest with me, please just tell me. I have one fire wizard who just beat MarleyBone, and another storm wizard who is in Zafaria, so if you are near there tell me!

Survivor
Oct 01, 2009
Im a older player cant help it lol love playing the game.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2016
I am not an older player but I have met a couple! Met someone more than half my age and it was nice because they're usually more mature and focusing on the game not drama and such. I am a teen and a couple years from being an adult and people even call ME and older player! Crazy right? I have played when it first came out when I was around 9 or 10 and did not really get the game haha just played to play and only made it to krok, sucks. I made this new account when break came here in Europe, I can never find ANYONE who lives here :/. I made this new one a few months ago and am now in zafaria! I love being an wizard!!

Survivor
May 01, 2009
crystalwizard12345... on May 27, 2016 wrote:
um, yeah it could do harm. A lot of harm.

There are thousands of people playing this game, and a lot of them are young kids. young as 4 or 5.

And there are adults playing that do NOT have the best intentions when it comes to young kids.

You want an innocent young kid to tell some not to innocent adult their age?

Not only that, how many teens do you think are in the game that would love to be able to tell you they were older than they are? Or even adults. for that matter.

The internet is not a safe place, and personal details should never be given out online. Anywhere.
You are being so unrealistic but i agree.

They have made open chat for 18+ which is Adult only. you can see if they have open chat or not. thats enough for saying your age. If they have the Regular chat, that shows they are a kid.

Explorer
Mar 11, 2009
hey there, this is granny wizard level 81 saying Hi!.....In Avalon right now...gabrielle ravenwalker.