Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Myself = gamer (Adult)
Daughter = casual gamer (pre-teen)

Found out about the game after my daughter originally tried it out after seeing it advertised on tv. She wanted a subscription after playing the trial version for a bit and that's when I ended up joining as well.

Current advertising worked for me also. It reminds me of Harry Potter quite a bit.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I am an older adult (grandma) playing this game and I am hooked on it! I love it! I enjoy it alot, I am having fun and I feel young. It keeps me occupied.
It helps with the stress of taking care of my 88 yr old father, he doesn't play this game but does play computer games too at times. As long as you are young at heart and mind, who cares how old you are when you play this game.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I am an older Player & have 7 grandchildren There are two of us that play here and I have got to say this is the best game I have ever played. I was very pleased when we logged in to try it out ,some nights we forget to go to bed .We laugh alot and spend alot of time playing together.
When I came to play I was feeling rather down about a game I had been playing for a long time being more or less cut back on . I had been a Game Master for almost 2 yrs. They did away with 2 servers(of course one was the one I had been serving on) Anyway The fun I have had since I came here has been outstanding , and I do believe if that other game had taken the time to have the filters you have put into this game they woudldnt have needed (babysitters) to correct the sometimes foul mouths of the other players.I have so far been training 4 different wizards and I have got to say I am having a blast.

Oriel answering your questions
I was a medeocre game player tho I had my friends I did enjoy.
Game play here is lots of fun and the quests do keep you busy I like that alot.
Young or old,even for the disabled this game will go very far .

Survivor
Jul 10, 2008
I'm an older player as well, I tested in beta and thought it was a fantastic game.. decided to come back when I got fed up with other games that felt like I had taken on a second job ;)

I do still play other mmo's, but this is my new form of relaxation and a stressless favorite :)

Survivor
Jul 10, 2008
Oops, I missed your questions Oriel! I had intended to answer them but got distracted.

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

1. I'm all-out gamer, and a fanatical one at that :p

2. Through a co-worker back when it was in beta (TrinityDivine tipped me off if you remember her :) )

3. Highlight the card game aspect (I'm an old might and magic player and the combat feels familiar enough to relate to it), boost promotion on the family aspect... in-depth enough to keep an adults interest and of course tweens/teens have a great fit with it (my daughter is a tween and really there isn't much she will do with me now-a days... except gaming :D )

Survivor
Jul 17, 2009
I dunno if I'd say I'm an 'older player' really. I'm still a teenager, but, really, only for less than a year. I've really gotten hooked on Wiz101 like crazy. I do like to compliment the devs of the game. I am seeing some puns and such in there I don't think too many younger players would really notice or get, so it's clear they were aiming at more than just tweens and such. Guys and gals... great job!! :D

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Three generations play W101 in this family and all live so far from each other. so we got old, young, and younger in this family. I love the game and feel one is never to young or to old to play..
aloha
Destiny Mythbreaker

Survivor
Jul 29, 2009
I'm...34... :D My friend is 27...and we both play. My daughter who is 7 was the first one to get into Wiz101, then my friend (he played with her), then me!

I also play Toontown

Michelle Shadowcaller

Survivor
Apr 07, 2009

Hey Your not alone ,I have been playing this game for several months now and I am a grandparent.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I am a older player, my son has me hooked. If you see me around, add me!!

JENNA RUBYBLOOD LVL 34 :)

Survivor
May 13, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
. I am an older player, out of my teens for the better part of a few or more years (lol) and i love this game. i think people are surprised when they get on this game and see how addicted you can get. my 5 year old wanted to play it so i did it now i play more then he does and he loves to watch. you are not alone out there. looke me up online in game and os olderpeople can buddy up. lol
Erica WillowStone, lev 45, life school storm second.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
i met many older people and they like playing the game matthew ogrecoin master of fire not close to grandmster

Survivor
Aug 09, 2009
I started playing Wizard101 a few days ago after being talked into it by my son. I'm an avid gamer and while I mainly play EVE I have found myself logging into W101 while my toon trains over there and not missing it. I was disappointed that my son and I do not seem to be on the same server but so far its been okay as he 'helps' me figure out the game.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
Older Palyer here, I set up the family plan for three generations to play, we're all having a great time
LaadyX wrote:

Survivor
Jul 23, 2009
I'm 40 with three kids. My oldest (13 years old), got me interested, then HOOKED on this game.

The first time I watched her play, my mind went back to the days of Final Fantasy on the NES, which I could sit down and play all night long. I've been playing mostly first person shooters (battlefield 2142 & Heroes) and real time strategy (command & conquer series, starcraft, total anihilation) over the past several years and hadn't sunk my teeth into a good RPG in a LOOOOOONNNNNG time.

I'm LOVING this game.

Samuel MythBreaker
lvl 27 Life

Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
Older player here also. I play other MMO's and my two young kids wanted a game to play so I tried this one. We liked it so much that I got us on the family subscription plan and we all three play at the same time. I think it's a well done game!

Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

1. Gamer. My husband and I both play and we are coming from a very hard-core gaming background. We have or rather had played a certain MMO for years, at the end we were raiding 6 nights a week, starting at 6pm and going until at times 2am and many times we would get a call at X time to log into the game for X mob. So yes, I would put us firmly in the gamer listing. :)

2. Beckett magazine, we have seen the ads and write-ups in there for quite some time as well as the TV ads. We finally thought, well why not its free and if we don't like it we aren't out $100 for buying two copies of the game. I believe we subscribed the next day. ;)

3. I would like to see more detail about PvP. A lot of gamers, myself included, love PvP. We like getting out there, going head to head with another live person behind a keyboard not an NPC and testing our skills and play-style. This is different PvP all together, there is no risk of loosing an amazing piece of gear that you spent mad money on or farmed for months for, there is no risk, you don't even lose your cards! You can challenge someone in the arena or enter a tournament and that is really a great idea, the tournament is well thought out and appeals to a lot of "older" gamers. I didn't learn about a lot of this until I actually started playing the game, I didn't really even have much of an idea that it was a true card based game. A lot of the features that are talked about in ads, etc are how child-friendly that it is. That's great since its 'supposed' to be a child's game. ;) But if you are trying to get more of us 'older' people play up the game-play system, for sure mention the PvP and bold in the word tournament. If I had known about a some of these things I would have started playing a long time ago.

Community Leader
There are many older players. I myself am a Grand Mother and play wizards with my 2 Nephews and Niece. I simply love wizards gives us house of fun ,Great for rainy days to keep them busy, I have even started teaching them how to PvP. We decorate houses and quest, there are many many things to do.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

1. I'm an online gamer, but I try for low-stress, no schedule type MMO's. Most players on adult-oriented MMO's take it too seriously and the game itself is usually one that you have to play constantly, or you fall behind.

W101 is nice in that you can play at your own pace and usually find someone in your level range in the area you're going to run.

2. I saw the TV commericals on Noggin. My 2 year old watches it religiously and I had been looking for a new MMO to play online.

3. I don't know if there is a better way to reach us than through our children (or grandchildren, or even great-grandchildren). We pay attention to what they watch and see, and if the commercials are on their programming, we'll see them too.

Overall, W101 is a fun, casual game to play. I was sad to find out that there is an end to the game (somewhat), as I like the perpetual play of most MMO's, but it won't be a big deal. It will still be fun to make a wizard for all 7 schools.

BTW, for my age, I'm in my early 30's

BTW #2, if anyone is on after 9PM CST and is willing to help me with the Krokosphinx, my char name is "Marcus Bane" and as a Balance mage, I'm always looking for a group to run with. :)

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
I'm def. an older W101 player- it def. helps after a stressful day of work to play and direct my frustration on something else. I will continue playing until I can't play no more :-) My husband plays another online game so he understands no only if we could share the computer better

Survivor
May 24, 2009
Another "older gamer here. My grandson starts driving in September, so, Im very older gamer. Love the game. Ive been playing since May. Was doing great til Marleybone and it's HARD. Any tips??

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
I am an older player,49.I play everyday if possible and would like to play with same age( or at least adult) wizards.If you see me around please add me.I am Caroline Rosehaven lvl 41 master pyromancer.

Thanks,hope to see some of you around.

*Are there any programs out there for Wizard101 addiction....lol *

Survivor
Aug 16, 2009
Yep... older player here. Just started actually. I've been a regular on another MMORPG (Not WoW) and have been trying to get my wife to play. We're big kids at heart, and even still enjoy watching cartoons and the Disney Channel (We're wierd! :)) So, we saw an ad for this and gave it a shot. We're both enjoying it so far.

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
Another older player here. This game has provided me with an outlet in which my son and I can share and discuss on and off line. I have always been a gamer, but typically in the fashion of graphic first person shooting games. This is a first role playing game I have ever played and I have to say I'm hooked. I am currently on my second character who will be a GrandMaster today or tomorrow (Storm). I completed the game with my first character Death in about 2 weeks, guess that shows how much I play, . My girlfriend stated that this is a childs game and she had no interest in playing, but only to find out that she play's secretly on my laptop in the other room, :) , like i wouldnt find out, I'm playing on my desk top in the other room,