Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 26, 2013
I'm an older player too. This game is by far one of the best out there. The cost is well worth the playability. Thank you KI for doing such a fantastic job and every increasing the spiral!

Survivor
Jun 04, 2014
I'm in high school and I still enjoy this game! I made an account when the game launched and quit after a couple years then got back on a few weeks ago just to see how things have changed. It's still a lot of fun no matter what age

Survivor
Jun 02, 2013
I used to play D&D back in the day. Played a hardcore mmorpg years ago. Now that I'm married with kids, I would'nt have the time to do any raiding even if I wanted to. Started playing W101 just after my daughter started playing and got hooked. It's fun and you'll meet a lot of older players especially in the second story arc (celestia through khrysalis). Welcome and enjoy!

Survivor
Oct 19, 2013
I'm not sure if you are still wondering, but I have a 14 year old and I started playing Wizards101 when she did. I absolutely love it! It is so addicting and fun that at times, I do feel guilty. Only because I've passed up my daughter in the levels. I am extremely thankful for the creators of this game, It is a step in the right direction as far as safe places to be on the internet.

Don't ever feel ashamed for playing kids games! We need things like this, among other things, to feel young

Survivor
Jan 16, 2009
I'm older i play with my grandkids. When they can get on. There is nothing wrong with an older person playing a kids game. Just have fun :)

Survivor
Mar 14, 2012
Me, my husband, and all of our kids play this game. This game is great for kids and older players.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2013
Yet one more old player. I've been playing for a little over a year, and I am having a great time, especially since I retired and have more time to play. No kids or grandkids, so I don't have that excuse, if I need an excuse, which I don't. I'm young at heart!

I've never played a MMORPG before. The closest I've come is D&D - I actually played in a game hosted by Gary Gygax when he was releasing the game - and I gave up on that when it became commercial and complicated. I just want to have fun, and W101 gives me that!

Survivor
Aug 17, 2013
It is totally fine to be older and play here, many people do anyways. If you enjoy the game then it's no problem to play. I honestly think that the majority of people that play are older anyways.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2014
I'm an older player. 40+.
My son played it for a few days but then stopped for the most part. I'm getting somewhat addicted to it. Trying to get wife to play, she is a gamer to 30+.

I've played countless of Online games, WoW, GW2, Bunch of free to play Asian games, Eve Online, The Realm(my introduction to online gaming in 1996), Ultima Online, Asheron's Call and many others. This is by far the most complete Online game I've ever played...and It actually has a great story!. Bought a year membership. I Love it. I Like It's strategic gameplay in combat, It's mini games, pets, housing and everything.

Explorer
May 29, 2014
Well I am a older player and your right about the name calling, drama, etc.
I don't do that but the best way to ignore the name calling to say
"You were once one too"
And then just click on the ignore button If you run into any annoying people.Hope this helps and for
Everyone too

Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
Don't feel too bad my fellow oldies lol. I'm old enough to remember watching Jurassic Park in theaters when it first came out and yes I play this game fairly often. The main reason why I play it is because it's a decent RPG that's LAPTOP FRIENDLY! When I first started playing Wiz101, my old laptop didn't even have a number pad for hot keys much less a mouse or even much processing power. As much as I love WoW and Runescape, and pretty much almost all non-FPS PC games, my laptops could never handle them.

It is frustrating though. Filtered chat makes it so hard to communicate sometimes for instance if I mistype something to someone with filtered chat like: "Hey, wanna gof ight malistare?" because of the spacing typo and the fact Malistaire is misspelled, all a "filtered" person would see is: "Hey, wanna ...?"

And of course being as old as I am, there are times I wish I could just throw out some more R-rated vocabulary when chatting with someone also old enough to get it but there are some (non-criminal) adjectives even unfiltered chat won't let through XD Oh well...C'est la vie*

*C'est la vie - something else a filtered chat person can't see XD

Survivor
Nov 30, 2013
I'm in college and I play. It's really an enjoyable game for all ages - that's why it appeals to me so much.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I'm in college, and I've been playing this game on and off pretty much since the game started. I think I made my account back in late 2008/early 2009! I absolutely love it.

Survivor
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not an older player, but it seems like a game that my dad, in his mid-forties, would enjoy (If he wasn't always swamped with work, that is).

Not that it really matters at this stage with a thousand pages of people telling you that this game is good for older people...

Survivor
Jul 31, 2011
older player here

since wizard is about exploring and is a card game at heart lots of older players will love it.

KI have done a great job and still do with there improvements.

I only wish we were all wise enough to understand that its is a family game and we are setting examples for our younger players.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2013
My husband and I team up. We are old enough to be grandparents. It has brought us closer together for the most part (unless one of us accidently uses the other's feint for a 0 spell). We love it. We don't like gore or war. I also like helping lower level wizards as long as they are not a nuisance. That's all for now!

Survivor
Jun 28, 2014
I am an older player, or as I once explained when asked, "Old enough to have children, a degree, and a home." I started playing this game so I could teach my daughter about MMORPGs and PC gaming in general. However, the game proved too difficult for her age and stressful to my attempts to explain with ADD. I have a couple of friends I coaxed into playing by putting them on my family account, but that is working out about as well as clapping with one hand since they are married and wait on quests to play together.

I feel silly wishing I could encounter more adults to friend, chat, and game with in a "kid's" game. I played Ultima Online, City of Heroes, Guild Wars, and World of Warcraft (for years) because of the people in game. That element is lacking here and I end up gaming in silence the vast majority of the time.

Survivor
Nov 15, 2011
I'm a "younger" player but my friends mom play's this game so I think it's totally normal for "older" people to play

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
Emily Shadowsong on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
just call me grandma lol and i still play and i love it
seriously? your a grandma?! wow...thats cray cray

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
how many people are grandmas and grandpas

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
pegeyepete on Jun 23, 2009 wrote:

Another old guy here, kids are out of the house semi retired and i love this game. Old time D&D player and been playing mudds before any of these morp's came out but i find that there are several of us out there and only a few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm
i have to agree with you about the few rude people i have only had to block 1 person

Defender
May 09, 2010
There are plenty of older gamers playing this fantastic game! Including myself! I'm not gonna say my age, but I certainly do think this is a game for many years of enjoyment, least to say.

Survivor
May 01, 2013
Older player here. Been playing for over a year and absolutely love it. Am a yearly subscriber and so are my kids. But I dont play with my kids online. Try that on for size. lol. Im addicted. And am a level 82 while my daughter is a level 31. Hahaha.
Kelly FireDreamer
Death

Survivor
Oct 24, 2009
You must have never watched some of the Youtubers for Wiz there are plenty of older players in the game including me. I think that Wiz is more for older players, and Pirate is for a younger group of players but I don't know that's just me. So don't feel childish for playing it.

Survivor
Oct 07, 2013
Almost my complete friends list is adults. The only ones that aren't are a few that I have NO idea what their age is. As long as they act like adults, I keep them. (and my friends list is large). So if you are looking for other adults, we are here! There are even a number of husband/wife teams. The number of adults playing increases with each new spiral visited. If you are an adult, KEEP PLAYING, and you will soon find other adults to add to your friends list. Have Fun.