Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 07, 2012
Define old. LOL

I would say I middle aged but have been playing since Dragonspyre was the last world!

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
i am in high school but i absolutely love this game i don't really care what anyone thinks i love it

Survivor
Mar 09, 2010
Ever wonder why they offer grey hair for the hair on wizards? I am a grandmother and retired and I love the game. I get asked by young wizards, will you be my girl or queen of my castle. I answer why thank you, but I would rather be the grandmother of the castle. Its a great game for all ages, and keeps some of us older wizards, young!!

Survivor
May 09, 2010
i feel like this game is a lot like disney movies; its meant for younger kids but no matter how old you are everyone seems to enjoy it

Survivor
Jan 16, 2013
well wiz101 is awesome my dad and mom plays it

Survivor
Feb 26, 2013
yes i am a older person and have fun playing the game with my daughter we made it to lvl 95 together as mother and daughter, i enjoy the time i send laughing and playing games with her.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2014
I'm older as well. I LOVE the game. Addicted LOL!

LauraFairyTale

Astrologist
Dec 26, 2013
I noticed that quite a few "older" players requested a definition of "old" and unfortunately I think I qualify as "old" no matter what the criteria. I find it funny when an obviously younger player will ask "how old are you?". My response is normally something along the lines of "you wouldn't believe me". I don't have the heart to tell them that when I was a kid a computer that could do what their phone does was the size of a small building. I am a great-grandfather who's been hooked on gaming since Pong. I still have DOS-based computer games taking up space on my bookshelf and I know I'll probably never play them again but I just can't get rid of them. They're like old friends. I can't just tell Lemmings or Wing Commander or Civilization that it's over between us.

Defender
Apr 16, 2014
Hi. I would be considered ancient. I played with my grandchildren.
But they quit as they got older and I just started playing again for fun and stress reliever.

Scarlet StoneShadow level 38

Survivor
May 04, 2011
I'm not sure if I have played w101 that long, but I remember when you could only be level 60 at the highest lol

Survivor
Aug 06, 2010
i have met some older gamers in w101 and they are friendly infact my late 40s dad plays this game
love you dad

Survivor
Jan 27, 2014
I, too, am an older gamer. Won't say how old, but I qualify for Senior Discounts around town LOL! Would be interested in joining a club for older players also, just let me know.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Anna May on May 5, 2014 wrote:
I, too, am an older gamer. Won't say how old, but I qualify for Senior Discounts around town LOL! Would be interested in joining a club for older players also, just let me know.
There are many fansites that have all kinds of groups of players. Right here on the wizard101.com they list all of the approved fansites:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/fansites

And this is a link to one of them that I like, in case you are interested:

http://www.wizard101central.com/index.php

Right on their Home Page, there is a listing for Wizened Wizards that you might want to check out.

And you can do a search on that site for other clans/groups too.

I started playing the game when I was checking it out for my grandson. Nothing more to say...I'm still here...LOL...

Welcome to The Spiral, and enjoy checking out the fansites. They have some great members / groups of players there!

Survivor
Nov 11, 2011
I too am an older wizard in my 30's. I started playing in 2012 but have returned as a way to destress from a currently hectic schedule. I was once a part of an adult group, can't remember it now, but I'll find you. :)

Survivor
Nov 11, 2011
TucsonWizard on May 1, 2014 wrote:
I noticed that quite a few "older" players requested a definition of "old" and unfortunately I think I qualify as "old" no matter what the criteria. I find it funny when an obviously younger player will ask "how old are you?". My response is normally something along the lines of "you wouldn't believe me". I don't have the heart to tell them that when I was a kid a computer that could do what their phone does was the size of a small building. I am a great-grandfather who's been hooked on gaming since Pong. I still have DOS-based computer games taking up space on my bookshelf and I know I'll probably never play them again but I just can't get rid of them. They're like old friends. I can't just tell Lemmings or Wing Commander or Civilization that it's over between us.
I have an Atari 2600 my brother gave me for xmas, along with a ton of games. I plugged it in to show Frogger to my 10 year old. He thought it was the coolest thing he had seen. I laughed when you said Lemmings. :)

Survivor
Jun 04, 2011
Older gamer here, got many people in my family hooked, probably shouldn't still be playing but I am, because it's super addicting!

Defender
Apr 21, 2012
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Perfectly normal, just ignore the drama and don't get involved. Kill stealing? Well its not the kill that counts, its what you throw determines your XP. Don't forget, there is better loot in a group.

Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
hi i am a wiz 101 gamer...have been for quite sometime...i also remember when dragonspyre was the last realm and 50 was the highest level...i have a level 100 storm and a level 50 life and a level 73 death wiz...i love the game it was my sanity saver ...at a very low time in my life...and i am glad i found it..i have always been partial to electronic gaming...and when they started going online i had to have a computer...i played the old atari games....lol ok now im telling my age....love wiz 101 keep up the good work...

Defender
Apr 21, 2012
Thinking back about it there have been a lot of times where I was point blank asked if I was an adult. My response is simple.

Being mature is overrated, I refuse to grow up.

This usually brings things to how old I am, in real life. Again, my response is simple.

X coughs dust X

Survivor
Sep 25, 2009
older player here as well. don't worry ppl are laid off so while looking for work they play games. can't go out when theres no money.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
Yep I'm in my 40's. Resisted the game for a long time because for months last year my nieces bugged and bugged me to set up an account so I could play with them. Finally I was talking with my sis and bil and the kids one day over at their house the girls finally got me to create an account and start playing. I've been hooked ever since. the whole family plays. although me and my bil are the only ones with multiple characters. He's got a death a fire and a myth. and I've got ice, death, storm and life. The girls and their mother don't really play much anymore but I'm on constantly. Actually any number of the people on my f list are anywhere from their mid to late 20's on up through 60's who are parents and grandparents.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
My wife & I are both addicted to this game & we are not spring chickens. Yes there are plenty of older folks playing. I've made some pretty good friends here.

Defender
Aug 11, 2013
zardozfl on May 27, 2014 wrote:
My wife & I are both addicted to this game & we are not spring chickens. Yes there are plenty of older folks playing. I've made some pretty good friends here.
Zardoz? ROFL Oh my...I remember that flick. Haven't seen it in ages though

Survivor
Oct 03, 2011
I have 4 grandkids, so I am definitely an older player. I love the game and have gotten younger players started on the game too.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2014
LegendHammerBeast on Apr 10, 2014 wrote:
i am in high school but i absolutely love this game i don't really care what anyone thinks i love it
same here