Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 06, 2009
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
WOW age has nothing to do with good online fun gaming. This game rocks the bar for editing language and age peripherals and I Like that. Its super safe for my children to play and keeps the Naughty grown up stuff
OUT .I love these games and trust their integrity and ingenuity > Have fun... I almost retired ..enjoy!!

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
mmoluvr on Nov 12, 2013 wrote:
I am an older player usually on the Lincoln realm due to its low population. I may switch to a busy realm for the purpose of getting into a PUG (PickUp Group) for progression, but usually I prefer to play on the low population realms.

I consider myself a decent player and I am always LFM mature players. I'm also a parent with RL responsibilities so I don't have set times I log in. If you are looking for a player to get you through content in record time; that's not me unfortunately. I like to progress as fast as I can, but I typically do ALL the quests in a zone as I don't like to go back once I've finished an area. I enjoy playing with those that have gear appropriate for their level for the purpose of progression.

I am an adult and have open chat enabled in game. I would prefer the same for you should you wish to look me up to communicate as effectively as possible. I am used to playing with verbal communication over a headset so players that have the little red "no chat" symbol may not be taken seriously.

Best of luck in game to all of us!

Gabriel Necromancer
I too am an older player and love helping others. Your post is well written but I would like you to reconsider the not taking seriously of menu chat people. A great deal of them are not super young players, they are wonderful teens that have protective parents that care about them and show it by limiting who can communicate with their child. Many I know from the message boards and most are very articulate and know the game well and are extremely courteous. An even tiny portion are adults that set up their account by leaving out the age section for security reasons not knowing that it would forever lock them out of having open chat. They are not all what you think. Yes, some are rude players that have been muted and can have an attitude but the fact that they are still using the muted account instead of just starting a new one shows you that they accept their punishment and are dealing with their consequences and deserve a second chance. It is true that a lot are young and inexperienced players, I just wanted you to realize that they are not all that way and to stereotype them all that way will put you in a position to never meet some wonderful players. Just food for thought.

P.S. Showing my chat shortcut inexperience here; What does LFM mean? I would love to learn this new (to me) term. Thank you for your time and patience.

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
My wife and I both play as does my daughter.
Older here

Defender
Jun 02, 2013
Excellent point(s) made Chrissy I will definitely keep those in mind when being introduced to other players.

LFM = Looking For More. It could have variations like LF1M, or LF2M.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2010
51 years old and love the game!!!

Survivor
Sep 22, 2013
yes i am a older player also and love it very much. i have met so many wonderful people on the game and i only started a little over a month ago. my granddaughter is the one that got me playing the game and i thank her so much cause i to was playing another role playing game which had alot of drama and the language was getting real bad and people were so rude at times. this game is great for any age no matter how old you are and i am really old and love it . so keep up the great work whatever you all are doing. and yeah for the older players we rock

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Nov 13, 2013 wrote:
I too am an older player and love helping others. Your post is well written but I would like you to reconsider the not taking seriously of menu chat people. A great deal of them are not super young players, they are wonderful teens that have protective parents that care about them and show it by limiting who can communicate with their child. Many I know from the message boards and most are very articulate and know the game well and are extremely courteous. An even tiny portion are adults that set up their account by leaving out the age section for security reasons not knowing that it would forever lock them out of having open chat. They are not all what you think. Yes, some are rude players that have been muted and can have an attitude but the fact that they are still using the muted account instead of just starting a new one shows you that they accept their punishment and are dealing with their consequences and deserve a second chance. It is true that a lot are young and inexperienced players, I just wanted you to realize that they are not all that way and to stereotype them all that way will put you in a position to never meet some wonderful players. Just food for thought.

P.S. Showing my chat shortcut inexperience here; What does LFM mean? I would love to learn this new (to me) term. Thank you for your time and patience.
Very good points, however muted players are still a limitation in dungeons. It's not possible to discuss battle strategy and explain cheat triggers to them. I've had many problems with menu talk players in dungeons. Many which purposely sabotage parties. I realize this subject is a bit off topic, but I too am a parent who started this game playing with my kids. I tend to avoid people without text chat because it hampers play and because most of them are someone else's kid. I'll help them when I can in mob or boss fights we have in common, but adding them as a friend and questing with them... absolutely not.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
mmoluvr on Nov 14, 2013 wrote:
Excellent point(s) made Chrissy I will definitely keep those in mind when being introduced to other players.

LFM = Looking For More. It could have variations like LF1M, or LF2M.
Thank you so much *Checks off box labeled "Learned something new today"*

Survivor
Nov 28, 2012
I'm a 70's child and remember D&D and played it and the atari as well and been a gamer most of my life. Would love it if my husband or son would play. But glad there's alot of older gamers out there. Got tired of facebook games and their interuptions they put in while playing the games so , I come here if I can get away with it. This is a #1 gaming site for me. I hope all is well and will keep enjoying the game.

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
there is! I was nice enough since on an old game i used to play that went down, my grandma had a garden on that game on my account! So, I added her a wizard on my account, and I showed her how to play and everything! Just tonight I did that too! So when she gets the level, she can have her own garden, and maybe even do mine while I'm at school! Its kinda fool-proof!

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
I'll be completely honest; I'm an 'older player'. Shoot, I'm 51 and I love the heck out of this game. :D I wish I had a few more friends to finish certain towers or dungeons with. I never seem to be able to get enough people... I'm a level 70. (Myth and life) Been playing for a few years- mostly because I play with crowns, not membership. It has taken me a while, I'm just starting Zafaria, but have some access in another area or two. I can understand text chat, but can't use it myself... long story. Would love to connect with someone on here and finish a bunch of stuff. Anyone interested?

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
I am an "older" player, in my early 40's. This is my first experience with an MMORPG; I've been playing about three weeks and love it!

Miranda Nightsinger ( and secondary schools)

Defender
Oct 18, 2009
I started playing this game in my junior year in high school, now I'm almost out of college and still playing.
The funniest part is because my mom was not originally acceptant of my "gamer nerd" lifestyle. I thought I was childish for enjoying it so much. I guess she was expecting me to be like everyone else s daughters and hangout in malls for clothes instead of hanging around gamestops for new releases, and using up all my quarters at local arcades (which are starting to disapper, have to be on the other side of the universe just to find one now a days).

On a side note turns out she adores cartoons and anime so my mother just as "nerdy" as me in some respects,even wants to join me for my Anime/Comic con cross country trip after my graduation.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2013
I am over 50 and have enjoyed this game for a long time.

I made it all the way through the game. I had a 1 year membership, but it ran out. I stayed away for a while but I LOVE the game. I started over buying with crowns.

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
Miranda Nightsinge... on Nov 22, 2013 wrote:
I am an "older" player, in my early 40's. This is my first experience with an MMORPG; I've been playing about three weeks and love it!

Miranda Nightsinger ( and secondary schools)
Well welcome to the realms. It is great having you here and we are here to help you in your journey.

Delver
Oct 29, 2013
Thank you, Chrissy. These forums have been a huge help already.

Survivor
Jan 19, 2010
Man, if you ask me I'd say that, a lot of older people play W101

Delver
Mar 10, 2009
fiercefightingdrag... on Nov 29, 2013 wrote:
Man, if you ask me I'd say that, a lot of older people play W101
*Whispers* It's really a conspiracy.....We are gonna take the best games from the kids and call it, hmmmm..........Call it imagination therapy to stave off senility. *Snickers* Think they will go for it?

Survivor
May 07, 2012
Where else can a 'older play' act like a kid and get away with it. Personally I just enjoy playing, and helping others. Having 6 different wizards to choose from, I'm a different person everyday. I love this game.

Survivor
Sep 07, 2013
I got my parents hooked to this game also. The environment is really friendly and the actual quality of the game is just amazing definitely the best MMO around. Keep up the good work Kingsisle!

Hero
Nov 14, 2010
Guardian452 on Jun 22, 2009 wrote:
I started playing to see if this game was appropriate for my nephew, who lives with my wife and I. Now I'm just as hooked as he is. 8)
lol

Survivor
Nov 09, 2010
LOL ,,, I find that there as many older players as younger ones.
I found this game 3 years ago and just got hook... once my grand children got old enough I showed them the game.
Now all 6 grand children have accounts and are teaching me a thing or two.
Its a great way to keep close and play with them where ever they are.
Thank you so much, for such a wonderful game,
and all the happy hours meeting new friends and time with my kids.

Survivor
Jun 01, 2013
I have been on and off wizard101. Mostly because i have no $$ to buy memberships, but when i do i race against the clock to get as much done as possible. My goal now is to be the highest level in wizards. I have been playing this game since the beginning! i don't think i will ever let go of such a wonderful magical game like this. THANK YOU CREATORS
Savannah LifeShade

Survivor
Jan 18, 2013
I am 41 and started playing a year ago. I was taking a break from playing a different (more serious) online game that I have played for many years. I really like Wizard101. There is always something new to look forward to and so many of the puns and jokes built into the game are not aimed at very young players, giving older players, like me, a little bit more to enjoy here.

Survivor
Dec 16, 2011
My wife and I are both play this game. And we have adult children. Its the most relaxing game I play