Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 19, 2011
I'm an older player as well. When I first started playing I felt like I was the only older person playing the game. However, I later found out that a lot of older people play this game too. It's fun and it keeps my attention.

Survivor
May 16, 2011
I have been playing wizard for over 2 years now and still love it. I am a grandmother to 5 but none of my family play at all. One day I'll look forward to bringing them to this wonderful game.
I have 6 max level wizards and I have many wonderful adult friends here.
I also play Pirate101 and I have all the classes at the max level there too.
KI keeps me quite busy :)

Previously I played a full pvp game in which I was most competitive however, it was most stressful and full of rude people. I figured that an online game is meant to be fun and we can all do without extra stress in our lives. So KI has the thumbs up for mine. Well done KI.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2008
I'm not an older gamer but I have been playing ever since Wizard 101 started in 2008.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
I'm an older gamer too. I joined because my daughter was playing and I wanted to see what she was up to. I soon got more involved than she was though, because the game was delightful. I met good friends who helped me out, and also some with whom I just would sit and chat with online. I also tried to be a good friend to others and to be helpful, and that paid off as well.

At first I was afraid to let others know I was an older player, because I thought they might think it weird or creepy. But I soon got over that -- I found out there are a lot of us older players, parents, grandparents, etc., who play the game. And my younger friends also came to appreciate me, and teach me chat etiquette and terminology, and even ask some questions about life in general that were on their minds. Never getting into personal details or trying to break safety issues, but still making real connections across age boundaries. All in all, a most rewarding experience.

Survivor
Jul 13, 2010
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Hi, I'm older as well. My daughter likes playing the game, and I got hooked.

We took a break for a few years and I currently just renewed the subscription. I'm looking for new friends. My area is Balestrom area 01. Look me up my character, Scarlet Fire. :)

Survivor
Mar 26, 2012
I am an older player here. I remember the old school days when Wizard was more important than my homework most of the time.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2013
I would like to find some older players to play with too. Richardoswald, what is your name on wizard and I will play wizard 101. my name is marissa roseflower.life wizard.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
marissarose14 on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
I would like to find some older players to play with too. Richardoswald, what is your name on wizard and I will play wizard 101. my name is marissa roseflower.life wizard.
Hi. Have you checked out any of the fansites for groups to join? Here is a link to one of them (for older players) that you might be interested in:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?6330-Wizened-Wizards

And on this wizard101.com website, they list all approved fansites that also might help:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/fansites

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
nullHi. Have you checked out any of the fansites for groups to join? Here is a link to one of them (for older players) that you might be interested in:

http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?6330-Wizened-Wizards

And on this wizard101.com website, they list all approved fansites that also might help:

https://www.wizard101.com/game/community/fansites

Survivor
May 21, 2013
I as well am a older player saw on tv and decided to try and was hooked from start. I love it and at first I didn't run into many older players but soon found that there are way more older players than I thought. If you want look me up sometime in imp realm Jasmine Dragonrider.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
dragonqueen1999 on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
I as well am a older player saw on tv and decided to try and was hooked from start. I love it and at first I didn't run into many older players but soon found that there are way more older players than I thought. If you want look me up sometime in imp realm Jasmine Dragonrider.
Dragonqueen, I hope you are enjoying this game. There are many parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles that play this game with other family members.

AluraMist2 has given a link to another fansite with a group of older players. It is a good place to meet more players and be able to meet them in the game. The site has a lot to offer with friendships and all kinds of information about the game.

If you have not already been to Wizard101 Central, you may want to give it a try. You can find many of us on that site.

Survivor
Jul 17, 2011
So like this game. Not ancient of days but getting there well over the Jordan when it comes to experience.

Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
I'm almost 40, I guess that makes me an older gamer. My daughter and I play together a lot with certain wizards and I have a second account with two other dedicated wizards that I can play together on my own (two windows, two monitors) for those times when she would rather do Facebook or whatever. A two-person mount is pretty much a must have for the dual boxing thing. I started out in early September 2009 and it took me until recently to get to Celestia. I realized once I got there that it is really hard to solo past that point. That is when I created two new dudes, leveling zooms by with two wizards. Once they get to Celestia too, I will have to choose which primary to play on with.

Survivor
Nov 07, 2009
My wife and i play all the time. we are older players and love the game.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
I'm a Veteran and I've got the mount to prove it! after my membership ran out I stopped playing for about a year. then I decided to log back on one day. after 2 hours of waiting for the game to load I found myself standing in the commons and . Man the game had changed! I played with a renewed vigor until I stopped at mooshu. that's when my membership ran out again! not to mention I had to get a brand new computer since my original one broke. that's when I stopped playing again. at this point I never gave another thought to the game until the Zafaria commercial came on TV. . I looked at my computer screen but decided against playing the game. for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to loading up the game. then Christmas came and my mom got me the majestic bundle pack gift card. (Good thing I never told her about my falling out with wizard101). when I looked at the card the spark came back. I redeemed it and started playing again only this time I was staying. there was a lot to take in. Advance pets, new spells, new SCHOOLS! new worlds (I didn't even know about Celestia and wisteria). I had more motivation to play now. I wanted to be in Zafaria. I wanted astral spells. I wanted ever new thing there was and with that I blazed through mooshu and dragonspyre. I didn't care about the story or the fact that I was fighting Malistair. that was all old news I didn't care about. by the time I reached Celestia Avalon was realized. Azteca came out while I was nearing the end of Zafaria. I was happy that I made to Celestia and above but I knew how things were going. every challenge I mad it through. there was gonna be a new one somewhere off in the distance. and I couldn't be happier. Happy 5th birthday Wizard101 don't stop the adventure I don't wanna beat this game just yet!

Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
dutch1146 on Jun 22, 2009 wrote:
My wife and i recently became great-grand parents. Is that adult enough? :D She and I both play the game, have our own accounts and we bought my wife a new computer for her birthday because of W101. We are giving our mature, adult kids updated computers so we can introduce them to the game.

I would love to have a 'group' of players that are grandparents get together and help each other out. I think it would be fun. Especially when Grizzleheim comes to the live realm. They will have a much better chat section. So if any of your are game, just respond on this board and we can go from there.

Hey a group of grandparents great idea I'm in dragonspyre Jessica Winterflower level 46 balance

Survivor
Sep 29, 2012
Older gamer here, I started playing a year ago when they had their Halloween event, and I'm still here waiting for the next Halloween event, lol.

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
Since the message boards names have changed, a lot of people don't know who's who. I am just wondering if any of the other people are still here playing wiz. I know that Rony and Crunkatog still go on Central, but any others.
My original message boards name was aditha12. What was yours?

Survivor
Mar 26, 2012
My husband and I both play, we love it. We are both in our forty's, it's a wonderful game for all ages. It also gives us something in common with a couple of our grown kids, lol, some younger cousins and a nephew we don't get to see very often. This is a great environment and the reporting system is great if not abused.
I hope you enjoy the game and who's to say what we are to old for and not to old for, you're only as old as you feel.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2010
LaadyX on Jun 21, 2009 wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Of Course! Mostly everyone with Open Chat is 18 plus.

Survivor
Dec 06, 2010
I have been playing for almost 5 years and I have a few Grandkids that I have got hooked on the game it is a great way for family member who live apart to come together for some fun.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2013
I'm an older gamer, I've been playing for about a year now. A few relatives of mine also play, we all love it I think this game is great for any age. You can add me in game at any time if anybody wants to I'm fun to get along with :)

Blaze D

Lv 49

Survivor
Sep 24, 2013
Older player here! A lot of adult Harry Potter fans,I love this game! The developers definitely need a pat on the back!

Survivor
Apr 03, 2013
I guess I'm considered an older gamer (I'm 29) and I'll be honest - I own 11 video game systems and I have played all of the shooting and war-based games that my friends live for, and they do not hold a candle to this one. I love how the game is always evolving and growing, and I feel like I can ask for help without getting called a "noob" by all the other players (which is why my entire WoW career lasted one day). My friends think I'm a nerd because I'd rather play this than Call of Duty or Halo, but I think the developers have created a much more awesome (and extremely addictive) game than anything else out there. I'm definitely in this game for the long haul!

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
I am an older player Don't worry about it, . I played this game, took a break, and now it seems to be more fun because I understand it better. Somewhere in some dimension, there are other older players playing Wizard101!

~ Morgan Shade