Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!
This is the first game i have played on line.My daughter saw the comercial on tv and told me to check it out. I've been hooked ever since. What ever you have been doing seems to be working out for you all. And yes i am an older player. I am a great grandma. I have five grand masters and one master. :) :) :)

Explorer
Apr 26, 2009
You're never too old to have fun. I'll always love stuff like this, I did when I was a teen, I do now, and I will when I'm in my 30's, 40's and so on... :)

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I am an adult player I have a 3 yr old and 4 year old I started it for my 4 yr old and well I am hooked now and I dont have to sit and watch them either and when i play they watch me and say its cool when I find or do things they havent done yet lol.

I am hooked!!!

Explorer
Jul 08, 2009
I'm also an older gamer (adult). I got hooked on the game by my nephew and wound up creating a character to see what the game was about. Seven days later, I am addicted to this game. I like it alot. My biggest gripes have already been mentioned. I've had a few in game issues but they are minor. All in all a great expierence. My character name is Ronan Titanblood, feel free to text or add me as a friend. I will help others if I can.

Survivor
Jun 02, 2009

I myself and not a child either...in fact my daughter is the one that got me started on this site...Lets just say Im not yet 30 but over 20...lol.. All of us love this site and I think its a great way for kids to meet and greet eachother.

Survivor
Apr 12, 2009
im an older player. im not in my twenties im in my thirties and i enjoy playing wizard101 buy myself or with my children i have six characters and loving every minute i play so your not alone. i know a fortysix year old that plays wizard101 so there are older players out there.

Explorer
Mar 01, 2009
I'm another older player . I love playing this game, I'm totally hooked. I play with my son , when I'm not off questing on my own. 8)

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
Well i wouldnt say im "OLD" im in my
20's old is in 100's XD so no i wouldnt say there old people

Survivor
May 01, 2009
Old enough to be a grandparent. Never played a role-playing game before. Played it with my nephews to see what they were into, and I was hooked.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
i'm in my younger 20's as well, i don't really run into allot of olderp layer's in game, but sure would love to, i play with my younger brother, he got me hooked on this game so bad....before i got on wizard i worked, ate, and slept, and hardly ever did anything, and then my little bro convinced me to try the game with him, and got me so hooked i just went out and got me a new laptop to play the game :P hope to see some older players in game soon *Michael Skullstone*

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I am DEFINITELY an older player :P My boyfriend and I both play. We are well out of high school. Heck, we're way past college too !

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Older player here too (in my 40's) ! it's just plain fun...easy to understand and great to play with other family members.

Oh, and there is a group that the adult players formed that you can join on Wizard101 Central forum. Check it out. We get together and help other adults and love chatting with each other.

Survivor
Aug 16, 2008
Hehehe,I am definately one of the "older" players. Fell in love with the game when beta testing it and have since gotten 2 of my adult kids hooked and even have a 2yo grandchild whom is in love with it :) Yes he has a character AND knows how to play.

So just call me Gramma Wizard :)

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
Well I am a grandmother to grown men and teenage girls LOL. I love this game. I didn't play D&D but my kids and the two grandsons did. I just love ths game. I haven't figured out how to be able to type numbers though, my daughter and I usually get on the phone and talk to each other that way when we are playing together. I just may dump my Real Arcade and Big Fish accounts in favor of this one - I never play the others anymore.

Shawna Unicorn Weaver
Lv. 25 Pyromancer

Explorer
Jun 06, 2009
older here, hooked when watching the 3rd generation playing. got my best friend hooked, and he's a big game player, he's even loaded at work to play in their slow times.
i think this is an awesome gome, just don't start making it too hard, there are many younger kids playing, not just us older ones!
thanks for all time, thought, and effort put into this game (i've done minor programing and that is detailed enough for me!)

thanks again

Defender
Sep 28, 2008
I think your question has been answered lol. The community of wizards covers a variety of ages from the very young to the oldest of young, as I have blatantly refused to get old, older maybe but not old lol.

Although the game is aimed at the younger generations, we all have a human desire for the magical arts. From Merlin to Malistaire lol. Our history is full of magical beings and great deeds and Wizards allows all of us the opportunity to explore that side of us in a safe and secure environment.

I am retired from the military and we, my wife and son included, play along side each other. We love the game and look forward to finding new friends and enjoying sharing tips and tricks about the game. We would recommend Wizards to anyone and have at times done so lol.

KingsIsle has and continues to evolve a safe and insanely addictive game that we all seem to love in one aspect or another, if not in all aspects lol. Enjoy the game and enjoy yourself. Life is way too short not to and besides, if we all lived life by what another thought we should, who would then be living our lives? lol Live well, do what makes you happy and enjoy :)

James DeathHammer
GrandMaster Death
lvl 50
James DreamRider
Balance
Master lvl 45

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
I am an older gamer that has only just recently discovered W101. I have come from such games as Eve Online and some relatively unknown browser based games (I actually have a php/sql browser based game I developed with some mates ;P ).

Currently under the employ of the corporate giant, IBM, and find W101 a great stress relief.

I find it a nice relaxed environment and though some of the features I feel necessary aren't there (such as a group request channel or something) the game itself is great fun.

Currently running a level 13ish Death/Life toon and progressing quickly

Survivor
Jul 16, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

1. I am a gamer, have been since the days of the Atari 2600! I consider myself hardcore only when I find a great game. I don’t play allot of games, I just play allot of a good game.
2. I heard about the game from an mmo website.
3. MY best advice is to make content updates fast frequent and of the highest quality. That will always keep players coming. Word of mouth can take a game very far (just look at WOW).
Also don't exclude adults by calling it a kid mmo. A Family friendly mmo sounds much better.
Getting parents hooked on the game will help keep subscriptions. I haven’t met to many kids yet with a job and a credit card. Keep us adults hooked too!!

Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
I'm an older player as well. Played WoW for years then go burned out, happened to find this game recently by chance. Wasnt sure I was going to like it since it's themed towards younger players but it has a certain artistic charm to it's graphics. And the combat style is laid back which is a nice change.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
Okay, I too, am an older gamer myself. I grew up playing various video games in days gone by, and moved on to computer games as things developed.

I must say that Wizard101 appears to be a very appealing game, drawing in lots of people from all age groups. And it is a great deal of fun.

There is something about it, that keeps me coming back.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
Survivor
Jul 11, 2009
I'm older (53) and was friended by a lovely young wizard just yesterday (9)... she calls me her Wizard God Mother and we've already helped each other out of jams several times. The game is truly age appropriate no matter what age you are! Loving it!

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
My husband and I got tired of all the seriousness of most online games. (When did games become more like a job than fun?) There aren't too many games out there that three generations can enjoy playing together.

Survivor
May 17, 2009
I play with 3 other friends and we are all adults in the game.. I Also got my sister in law to play this game but it is to helps my niece and nephews that play with her.... Other than that my and my friends play as a group and we use ventrillo to talk amounted our selves instead of using open chat all the time scene we know that their are kids that play this game...

Survivor
Jul 25, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

I am a gamer (adult)
Wife is a casual gamer (adult)
Son is a casual gamer (young adult)
daughter is a gamer (pre-teen)

I saw/read ads for it in magazines. Log in for the daughter and I, didn't even get to level 5 before I signed up for the Family package.

Your current methods of advertising worked for me. Comic books nowadays are aimed at everyone, not just kids. Possibly advertise there.