Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 27, 2009
Im a girl in her twenties and I love wiz. My sister and my niece got me into playing. I still play other online games but Wiz is the place I come to chill and relax. Love playing the game

Survivor
Jan 22, 2009
I am an older player and have been playing for 7 months. Love the game even though I can't beat Malistaire at the moment. Talk about frustrating. But besides that I think it is a great game for everyone.

Survivor
Mar 08, 2009
I love playing this game, I started playing about 4 months ago and love it. My husband plays World of WarCraft, but is interested in my game all the time. My 6 yr. has even started playing one of my characters. I am hooked. Old Plays should unite, so we can play together on teams. Do you try to tell other players that you are an adult when playing? I have been asked how old I am, i sometimes say i am an adult. Doesn't seem to matter usually.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
Older wizard here, but still looking young enough to pass as a child on most days, kind of annoying usually. But that's besides the point. This is my first actual MMORPG game, I had always shied away from the other ones, figuring they were just what some had described, full of drama and greedy people. I gave this one a try and have been hooked since the first day. Got my S/O hooked on here as well, and even my best friend. We all play together now and have loads of fun. Thanks KI for making this awesome game we can all enjoy.

On to the adult players allowed the option of looking adult, I love that. At least let us stand out above the rest. I know I personally don't like playing with the younger kids on here (not all, some are cool) but most I've encountered are just too difficult to work with. I'm talking about the young teen area, too worried about having a gf/bf on the game. The younger kids are actually more adult than they are! If we were allowed to look more our age, we'd have an easier time grouping together for boss fights, and dungeons, with out having to worry about certain dramatics occurring mid fight.

IE during boss fight, I happen to draw a really big attack card, but someone else is wanting to kill the boss, and I use my card to kill the boss, knowing it'd kill it in one hit, then the other player getting angry and fleeing, leaving me to kill the rest of the minions alone. Stuff like that. Again, nothing against the younger crowd of players, it's just sometimes I'd like to battle with someone who can understand and handle pressure and change a little better.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
I'm old enough that, had I followed my original college plan, I'd have had my PharmD degree a few months ago.

I've played a few MMOs, and Wizard101 seems to encourage civility and teamwork more than any I've played. The battle mechanics make cooperation and finding other people to group with great, and the limited chat options, while at times seem overly restrictive, is considerably more pleasant than the puerile trash talk I've seen in pretty much every other game.

It's a little easy at times. I've only run into one level-appropriate boss (Well, I fought the Harvest Lord before he was enhanced, so that should probably be two) that I couldn't solo so far, but I don't have too much trouble finding other people getting ready for bosses, too. Plus, the game is so much more fun when you're not by yourself.

Survivor
May 21, 2009
I started a character to see if this game was okay for my 6 year old son. I got hooked and now my husband, our son and I all have characters! It's great family fun and we really enjoy our own family competetion to see who can "level up" the fastest!

I agree that there should be a sort of "mature" or "Senior" wizard status so that all of the adults playing can team up and teach those young wizzardsnappers a thing or two!

Survivor
May 09, 2009
Lets just say that if my age was a level, I would be a very advanced master by now!! I have loved playing this with my son. We talk about it all the time and I love to be able to use it as a reward for when we have finished all of our day to day responsibilities. A great way to connect with your kids and have good clean fun. Thanks KI!!!!!

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
I started playing this game when my 13 year old grandson had me play,love it.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
My sister and I are both past the half century mark and tottally addicted to the gamee We are both great- grandmothers too. This is the first time we have felt safe enough to play online.
tried a few others and no one would even talk to a lowly beginner
So we do try to help some of the new ones if they seem nice. We play as a team and with the new 18+ chat and the true friends manage to talk intelligently and easily.We don't get bothered too much but we do turn of invite friends when we are in dungeons. Its too distracting.We are both level 26 and we do not consider ourselves old.
.Good luck to all the "more mature" wizards out there

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
I am wondering why anyone feels funny about being an older person playing this game and would want to look older. To me, the characters are cute and fit the atmosphere of the game. The age you look really isn't important and I like looking younger than my 54 years. I have no great love for the age wrinkles and such. I have 7 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren and have been around them so much that young is a part of my life.Would not mind meeting some more people closer to my age for conversation and freindship though. Maybe W101 could arrange an event and have us get together a prearranged time in some large area?Senior Day?

Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
Yet another adult player here. :) I'm over the half century mark and I enjoy the game very much.

I'm a casual gamer. I play 1 or 2 others that are horse-related. I saw your tv ad a couple of times and it sounded like fun...and I don't have children. Guess I'm just young at heart. <G>

I've seen several good suggestions for reaching other adults, so I won't go into that. I do think you need to consider keeping adults once they are on. Part of what bothers me as an adult player is that other players don't know I'm an adult. The new option to block out friend requests is great, since I really dislike the "hit and run" requests, but I'd like to see something that would ID players as being adults or being in a certain age range. I have been hit on more than once by players who must have been in their teens and felt really bad for one very nice young man who asked me if I would be his "girl that is a friend". :) I can understand not wanting to ID age ranges for younger players, but perhaps it might be an option adults could choose if they wanted to? I think my young friend was really embarressed and that really is unfair to the younger players.

Survivor
May 29, 2009
I am a wife and mother of two boys. One is almost a teenager. I do not consider myself older but I guess you could say that I am. This game is played and love by myself, my husband, our two children, and even my mother in law. I have chatted with people of all ages. My best friend in game is a young adult,and I love to get out the Mommy advise to him. I think this game is a fantastic way to keep our family closer. So no I do not feel this game is to childish. People of all ages need a way of getting away just for a bit.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
I love telling the youngsters that I am a half century. LOL

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
I'm older too :) My grown daughter who lives quite a distance from me got me hooked and now we play together, I love the game and I get to spend some time with her too. :D
I find its a refreshing break to find/play with other adult wizards.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
I'm on Social Security, no kids, and I am totally hooked on this game. I've met other adults, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Characters reflecting adulthood might be a good way to distinguish. I'm sure there are kids that play who would rather play with other kids rather than us grown ups.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
me amd my older brother play alot of this game we sit side by side at our computers and play for up to 20 hours at a time he is over 40 and i'm just under 40 so yes this is a very fun game and very addicting. but gotta love it :D

Survivor
May 30, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Older player here too! *Waves*

Survivor
Jun 07, 2009
Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
How about someone set a date/time/area/realm/world and we adults all meet there to friendship up for some battles? (time zones should be considered)

Survivor
May 10, 2009
I am older and I love this game. My seven year old plays too. He is on his computer and I am on mine and we team up together to defeat the big bosses. He loves it and so do I! We are having alot of fun and I am doing something with him that he feels I relate too him with. Drives my husband crazy though because we are always playing the game! I look forward to new worlds and to see what happens next!

Survivor
May 18, 2009
I'm an older player as well. No kids here just thought I'd check it out and I love it. Its a great game if you have only a little bit of time and you just want to relax or if you have more time it works too.

All around it has been a pleasant experience for me.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2009
i'm an older player to, i started about a week, maybe 2 weeks ago, my younger brother play's and he got me hooked on it. We do all the bosses together and even normal quest's together, i really enjoy playing this game and intend to keep playing.

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
Older player here! Lets just say that I graduated college a couple of years ago. I don't have any kids, but my nephew (also an adult) talked me into trying the game out and I'm glad he did! I am totally hooked. This is my first MMO, before this I played mostly RPG, final fantasy stuff like that. So I don't know how much of a gamer I am. lol

I too wish there was a better way to find other adults in the game. I would love to have a few other adult players to quest and be friends with!

Jasmine IceBlossom

Survivor
May 03, 2009
Older player here, as well. My nine year old son got me hooked. I am definitely a gamer, it's a wonderfully absorbing and relaxing pastime for me, and so fun to play in tandem with my son! I would like to see some of the commercials target the older audience to let us all know that we are here and that it is a great place for all of us to be no matter what age.

I have two characters going right now because my first (Olivia Sunriver Lvl 46 Life/Storm) is stuck in the Obsidian Chest Quest out of Dragonspire Academy with a glitch that won't let me open two of the chests in the spiral no matter what I do. Very frustrating, that. I decided I'd might as well start another to see what training in a different school is like and now I am immersed in my new character Jasmine Soulblossom, Lvl 20 Balance/Life.

I love the game and hope it will keep on expanding to keep us interested!
Hope to see you all in the spiral!

Survivor
Jul 13, 2009
I'm nearly 40 and my son is 8. We have a grand time playing with one another. We even have a family subscription. :)