Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 10, 2012
Older person here. Like many i have played W.O.W,, Final fantasy, Rift, and countless x-box MMO's. W101 is a change. I absolutley love the fighting style. The annoying fizzles and newb pips are wonderfully irratating. And best of all you can go AFK without worrying about being slaughtered by an oppossing faction. W101 has a great hook and should continue doing what the do.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2012
I'm a middle-age attorney, presently disabled. After discovering online games a few years ago, I have met other adult players ranging from:

A convenience store worker who is one of the most intelligent people I have ever met;
A doctor who is the FDA liaison for an international pharmaceutical company and has superb taste in wine ;)
A software programmer who designs missile guidance systems for one of the biggest defense contractors used by the US military, actually something of a wunderkind as he began high-level security clearance work in his early 20's;
A man who lost his entire digestive system due to cancer I believe. He passed away about a year after I became game friends with him and we held an online memorial service in the MMORPG we played at the time;
A multimillionaire entrepreneur who continued to run his company to avoid boredom and gamed between meetings;
A multimillionaire game designer who plays his own and other MMORPG games several hours a day as a break from coding and has a huge DDR platform and big screen in his office in lieu of exercise machines;
A psychotic woman who fell "in love" with game husbands and aggressively stalked them in real life, which upset her real life husband and father of her children;
A programmer for one of the programs that comes bundled on your new PC. He got bored and took a break for a few years during which I played several hours a day with him and others. When he decided to go back to work he was snapped up almost immediately as a senior programmer by the biggest online store in the world. He and another in our group became close, hit it off and married this past New Year's Eve.
A seventh-grade teacher in a city (I use that term loosely) about as far north as you can get in the US, aka middle of absolutely nowhere. When her internet went down she'd often drive a couple hours south to get online and play through the night;
A Wal-Mart janitor in the middle of nowhere near the Mexican border who ran statistics and designed spreadsheets with algorithms that let us maximize our game play (it was making food with better stat boosts);
An only child from a Scandinavian country who sold his WoW avatar for enough money to move to the US so he could go to college near his online girlfriend. She sadly refused to meet him in real life but he graduated, met a lovely girl through another game and is happily employed as an accountant despite the fact that his parents are still freaked out that their little boy is an ocean away.

I could go on. Many adults I meet online are disabled or members of AARP (older generation). They all say that online gaming allows them to be whatever age they want to be and allows them, through their avatar, do everything a non-handicapped person can do. One friend signed in from her deathbed (her family signed her in on a laptop) so we could all say goodbye. People who don't game think that in-game friends aren't real. On the contrary. We all know that the people you meet in here are more real than if you met them in real life. I've had the privilege of meeting dozens of these people when I traveled across the country and ran a player meet for another game. We all felt immediately comfortable with each other because we already knew each other so well. Online gaming puts us all on a level playing field and gives us an escape from the restrictions and stress of real life. Players I have met through Wizard101 are drawn to the simplicity what is, essentially, a card game. There's strategy in combining equipment, decks and pet talents but isn't so time absorbing as most other MMORPGs.

Defender
Feb 24, 2012
Older player here as well. I used to play EQOA and WoW but this game is extremely fun and much more solo friendly than other mmo's. I love the whole system except the fact we cannot do trades with other players. That is my only complaint.
Safe journeys all.

Survivor
Nov 02, 2011
im a 22 yr old that loves wizard101 i play other games like diablo 3,skyrim, and the amazing spider man yet i always find myself coming back to this game no matter what it the innocence in it and the pure fun i guess..

Survivor
Mar 30, 2011
pinkglacier wrote:
I am an "older" player as well. I just stopped playing an online game for the same reasons. Anyway good luck and if you need a friend let me know!
Mary NightWhisper Level 80

Survivor
Sep 22, 2012
I'm an older player. Me and my little cousin play as a team, and to be honest I'm hooked. I even can't wait for the new KI game to be released next month.

Survivor
Jun 23, 2011
I am older too. My grandchildren got me into the game. I really like it. But a couple of things I don't understand. Why give quests that a person cannot possible finish at the levels they are at. Would be nice if they could bring out quests at the right levels. Also, a lot of the quests are hard to follow... not enough directions. I am not a big gamer but I am not a total novice either. I have had to look a lot of stuff up on the internet to figure out where to go for some of the quests. That is how I ended up here.

Good luck everyone! Hope you all do well. :D

Survivor
Apr 21, 2010
I too am an older player. I'm married and I have 4 sons. My husband doesn't play, but 3 of my sons play. I have 3 wizards that I play on, I love gardening and having as many pets as I can. :)

Survivor
Aug 18, 2012
I'm also an older player. I first started MMOs with Star Wars galaxies back in 2003. I really miss that game; I felt it was perfect when I started it. Well, several years (and mmos later), I've started back. I'm really not use to these younger kids playing, saying they need "a boy" or "a girl", and people adding me just to ask for crowns. Really would like some people around my age or older to make friends and just find other stuff to do. Soloing is getting a bit boring at level 16. So yea, that's my reply to this thread.

Adam Soulhunter

Survivor
Nov 12, 2011
Hi! I am also an older player, well if you consider a college student an older person :) I enjoy playing with all the ages because I enjoy helping the obviously younger wizards through dungeons and whatnot. It gets a little uncomfortable when a child asks me to marry them (LOL) but besides that I love this game :)

Delver
Jul 15, 2011
Older player here. Started in EQ, went to SWG and played most of the MMOs that have come and gone over the past ten years. Not quite sure if I should be proud of that accomplishment or ashamed. ;) I like wizard101 for the stress free simplicity and the housing system. Although, i wouldn't mind a little more flexibility in the furniture placement in houses.

Tatiana Winterheart

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
i am a kid, but i think this game can be fun for anybody. but someitmes it's a little creepy when someone admits their age . my only problem with the game is that I cant get open chat.

Survivor
Jun 10, 2012
I am a mom of 3 and wife of 1, i love playing this game. My biggest problem is lack of friends, because I tend to be a bit picky, I love helping others but find that when I need the help it is difficult to find the help in return.

Survivor
Dec 21, 2008
I started playing in 2009 with my son who was 9 at the time. Now I still play while he has moved on to other games. It is still very enjoyable and I recommend to anyone, younger or older who wants a fun and user friendly game.

Survivor
Jan 12, 2011
Hi all, I'm an older player from Australia... I am Disabled and on a pension, that's what I love about the game most, it's affordable for those who don't have much income.
But the rewards are amazing from playing and meeting people from all over the world and yes I can tell when I'm talking to an adult... All I have to say is I need a coffee, most kids don't drink coffee...LOL
I have met some amazing people, and I'm a Nan too, with six adult children, none play, but my Grandson will
I'm also a retired counsellor and I can assure you it's quite healthy and normal to play these games...
Especially those that are house bound there has to be some kind of escape from reality to give our soles some relief.
So enjoy the game

Explorer
Jul 10, 2009
Plenty of them. I'm not one unless you mean when people played back in the old days of the game..

Survivor
Jul 19, 2011
there are plenty of them. but some older players can be very inappropriate. i thought this game was for younger people. sure its fine having older people play but they find ways to curse and very bad things which i wont say. but i would ask if the older players would go play something else because i am tired of people going up to me and saying " wanna have my babies" so i ask, inappropriate people get off this game and go play world of warcraft or something

yours truly, Diana willowsong, a mad wizard

Survivor
Jul 31, 2010
almost all of my friends are older, as by the way they act. even though i am not yet a teen, everyone says i act older, so i say i am a younger player and they are all like "no way" and i am all like yup. older people play this game a lot too, and its ok to act older or younger than you are.

ps. one of my friends had a son that played with him, and the father was old because his son said his dad died of a heart attack.... so someone played this until they died. XD

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
im an "older player" some poeple play alot

Level 58 Thurmatauge(if thats how you spell it)

Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
The number of older players is actually quite high, especially those who are grandparents and love to play with thier grandkids! I have been playing since this game left beta and went live and I have always been proud to see some of the younger players grow in manners and such as a result of the example from some elders.

Just a side note, there is a very good reason KI does not want actual ages listed, and that is for the protection of our younger players who might become targets.

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
My girlfriend and I play. We are not teens/kids either. I just love to play. to me age means nothing here My daughter got me into this game. She doesnt play, but I do. Growing up I never played video games. Of course most of my friends had the new Atari systems. LOL

Defender
Mar 07, 2009
WillowTheWitch on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:
there are plenty of them. but some older players can be very inappropriate. i thought this game was for younger people. sure its fine having older people play but they find ways to curse and very bad things which i wont say. but i would ask if the older players would go play something else because i am tired of people going up to me and saying " wanna have my babies" so i ask, inappropriate people get off this game and go play world of warcraft or something

yours truly, Diana willowsong, a mad wizard
Their are always going to be players like that in the game...older or younger. My girlfriend and I enjoy playing this game and the new pirate101. Personally I dont like the other games with all the excessive blood and the fighting where it looks like a jumbled mess when their is more than three people fighting.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2009
I'm 14 So, am I an older gamer?

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
DarkReaper23 on Oct 15, 2012 wrote:
I'm 14 So, am I an older gamer?
Oh. That is so sweet.

But if you are an older gamer, I don't want to know what they call me. LOL...

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
AluraMist2 on Oct 15, 2012 wrote:
Oh. That is so sweet.

But if you are an older gamer, I don't want to know what they call me. LOL...
Older gamers are rockin' it!

Keep it rolling! And urge KI to fix PvP!