Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Apr 21, 2012
I think it's hilarious when some of these players are saying their "old" by naming some of these games that aren't old compared to the ones I use to play. I use to play paddle ball , tanks and pac man on atari when it first came out! Beat that! Young-uns

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
Keifer70 wrote:
I think it's hilarious when some of these players are saying their "old" by naming some of these games that aren't old compared to the ones I use to play. I use to play paddle ball , tanks and pac man on atari when it first came out! Beat that! Young-uns

Pong, now that brings back memories.

I have the old Atari 2600 and the 5200 Super System still.

Yep, the video games have come a very long way since then.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2012
My husband and I both play, as well as two teenagers.
(former eq, eq2, and SWG player, as well)

Survivor
May 18, 2012
Never knew so many older people play this game.. Oh well :D I still am hooked :D :D

Survivor
Apr 17, 2012
Now this is my kind of page. hehe I'm betting I'm one of the oldest players, being of retirement age. I have found a few others close to my age who have become part of my "core group". I still play Diablo II, played UO until they ruined it, tried WoW and don't like it, recently tried Forsaken, jury's still out on that one, but Wizard101 wins hands down. Another "child friendly" game I've been playing for 2 years now, is Horse Isle 2. It also has chat filters that can be even more frustrating than Wiz's. But, if you like horses, this is one I highly recommend. No combat, just catching, riding, and training wild horses, or buying in auctions or adopting at the Humane Society Barn. Lots of quests and mini-games. But still play Wiz the most.

One snafu I've bumped up against is the housing issue. I was thinking I would be able to get a "school" house for each of my wizards but, since I bought the Fantasy Palace, Sultan's Palace and Balance School house, I can't do that. I read in a post, about housing, that there is a housing elixir in the Crown Store that gives you another housing slot, but I haven't found it. Two of the new "packages" have a potion for another housing slot, but only two of them and, I'm guessing, that's to make room for that particular house. Does anyone else know anything about that Housing Spot elixir?

Kestrel DawnBringer
Happy are they who share in the joy and success of others. :D

Delver
Jan 13, 2010
No, dont worry if you are an adult (maybe not) because i have met several nice adults who help me a lot. I am a kid but dont worry wizard101 is a family game. Cole Dunerunner Lvl 68 Sorcerer

Survivor
Apr 15, 2011
dragonnrider wrote:
ha ha I may be the oldest on here I use to play Diabllo years ago but it was a little to how should I say bloody for lack of a better word. My grand daughter showed me this game yes I said grand daughter needless to say I was hooked as bad as she is. its a lot of fun but the only thing I can find wrong is it is hard to find any answers to my questions about it like can you arrange your spell cards so that you can use the ones you want first and not just some random order.

The cards are dealt randomly from your deck, so keep a small deck. For example, for solo street fights my Life 50s wizard has 2 blades, 2 traps and 2 Centaurs in her deck. She carries a wand for the extra powerpip it gives her, but usually I discard all the wand cards so I play trap, blade, Centaur, repeat, and I'm done. :) (Oh, and my pet gives me a Satyr so I can heal, just in case.)

Now back on topic--I am an older player. You don't stop having fun just because you have gray hair. I've played computer games since the 1970s, starting with text adventures (Adventure, Zork) and then in the 90s I was introduced to rpg and mmorpg games by my sons. All of my children are now grown up and are too busy with life to play with me on W101. I'm waiting for grandchildren. I've already informed my kids that their children WILL join me in the Spiral.

I got into W101 because a certain website with strange but cute pets (which I got into to see if it was okay for my daughters and got hooked) offered me 3000 np if I would try Wizard101. Of course, duh. The poor pet website has been pretty much neglected ever since (but not entirely).

I am not a gamer. I don't care about statistics and I'm not competitive. I just like to play pretend. I like to be the hero. I love horses. So if a game allows me to pretend I'm wonderful in an intriguing and beautiful world with a good storyline, and let's me do it on a horse, I'm happy. :)

Kestrel Stormrider
Life 53, usually Kelvin Realm
plus 6 more wizards :)

Survivor
Aug 27, 2009
There is absolutely no reason for anyone here to be ashamed of themselves playing this game despite their age. Every gamer deserves to have fun!

Survivor
Apr 18, 2012
8) Hi you are not alone and I have a blast on here. Glad there are quite a few of us. Have fun and kick bottoms, lols

Survivor
Dec 11, 2010
hi been playing for around two years now and definately an older player but have met some older ones out there in the spiral. i have found this game one of the best out there and it is the highlight of my day when the kids have gone to bed and i get to go and meet all my friends in the game. the only problem that i have been having lately is the way people have got round the bad language problem and so do not like going back to wizard city anymore it seems to have gotten really bad over the last couple of months i dont know if other people have noticed but i was there two days ago and the language was disgusting.
to all the people out there that have made this game in to what it is i thankyou it is the highlight of my day to go and meet my friends all over the world in one place and have fun.

calamity dragonheart
level 60

Survivor
Dec 22, 2010
Well hi there! I am Dakota Deathspear, a lvl 80 ice wizard who wants to respond to this question. In my opinion, yes, there are a lot of "older" players out there. I should know because of the name calling and open chat they have. I am just a kid sooo well i guess older players have fun messing with other younger player who are kids. They can make fun of you because they can, theyre basicly just sitting behind a screen eating pizza and insulting you for no aparent reason. My advice is "Dont let other people get you down, always pick your self up and look to the bright side."
Well i guess i am almsot finsished so good luck and good bye, from Dakota Deathspear!!!

"SLOW BUT STEADY ICE IS, SNOW ALWAYS MUST FALL"

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
Survivor
Jul 26, 2009
Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
jennm2203 wrote:
What makes you think ADULTS are partaking in the Girl Friend Boy Friend thing?
Did they tell you their age and you then took that as truth?

I would warn everyone against believing a "wizard" in a game... they MAY say they are 20 something etc, but they could also be lying. I have seen people make many outrageous claims and people then believing what they say. When you have people behind the pseudo anonymity of a game, message board, chat room etc you will also find people ready to lie, cheat and scam others. To protect yourself and others, please do not take what others say in game so seriously.

Until the GF/BF things is against the Terms Of Use, Terms Of Service that we ALL Agreed to, there is nothing any one can do about it. If something breaks those specified terms, detailed by both Zeke and Prof. Greyrose on this very message board in many places... the report the player, state in the box what they did to break the specific terms, then send, click ignore and move to another area in the game.

FYI; I have not run into one single "adult" in game that plays the GF/BF balogna. Most "adults" have been polite, helpful and watchful for younger players being bullied or subjected to profanity in game.

The only ones I see doing that GF/BF stuff are teens and younger. Most of those same people are the ones who are quick to be rude and or hateful if you point out their bad behavior.

Although, they could be adults pretending to be kids and the opposite is true as well. Just be careful before you start pointing fingers.

I so agree with what you have said, while I have to also say I understand any caution anyone or their parents think is necessary. I have seen too many bad things on the news to stick my head in the sand. :( Having said that, I do believe the people in control of this game have a good set of precautionary rules in place, and as you, in my personal experience, I have never seen an obvious adult abuse these rules. I would be the first to caution children as I would my own child, and am not saying anyone should ever let their common sense guard down, but as far as games go online, I think this one is a good bet for sure. I would just say the rules for children should apply to adults also online really, no real names, real addresses, real info period! There really is never a need for that, and if anyone tries to convince you that there is, that is probably your first sign to BEWARE. Bless you all and happy gaming to all. Jennifer

Survivor
Jul 22, 2009
olivia91067 wrote:
Never knew so many older people play this game.. Oh well :D I still am hooked :D :D

Oh well I am too, lol, as I am 42. :) Have a son prolly your age on here :) I am just playing around here posting as my first post won't even show up yet. Hope you are having a great night, and don't mind me barging in on your post. :) Was just trying to find a light hearted one after my last soul searching one. :) Happy Playing. Take care. Jennifer

Survivor
Dec 30, 2011
Older player here. Started playing with my teenagers, and gladly since I grew up gaming, they are amazed at how good I am. Level 77 Balance. Only because I spend quite a bit of time helping them out. It is fun.

Survivor
Sep 24, 2010
I am an adult player and I love this game although I find it difficult to communicate people most especially those chat are disabled. Sometimes, they asked for help and you get an error they are busy. I have a very helpful friend (ingame) named Kaitlyn. She always teleports to my location and helps me defeat monsters. She does not have text chat. When I don't do quest which is very rare I always teleport to her to compensate her goodwill. Sometimes, she asked for help but it said she was busy. Then I felt guilty and I could not PM her I was not allowed. Good thing about no text chat though is that you limit trash talk. This is the only MMO that you feel relaxed playing. Aside from the fact that the format of the game is different than that of the usual MMO. I have seen it on Facebook while I was waiting for a 3D version of my previous game. I thought I was going to leave after a week or so until I find myself spending time and money the same way with my previous game. I have a feeling I could no longer let go of it.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2012
I was very surprised when I started playing Wizard101 and now I am a regular with my wife and it is great to see this format and excellent graphics with an awesome storyline all in one. We are 53 years of age and our older kids are playing to who live a good 7 hours by plane from us. The grandkids are just starting to play so grandma can spend sometime online with them and she loves it. Hats off to the creators and hope to se everyone in the game. I am Cole Dragonward.

Survivor
Jun 08, 2009
I'm an older player as well. I like this game because it's not as complicated as some of the games rated for older players. I can relax and play and not get too frustrated. I don't care if people think I'm weird for playing a kid game. The only down side to me is, of course, that there aren't a whole lot of people on that I'd actually socialize with because they're a LOT younger than me. I'm old enough to be their grandmother in some cases even though I'm actually not all that old. *snicker*

Survivor
Jun 30, 2012

This game is a masterpiece. So simple a child can play, yet deep enough strategically to keep an older guy like myself engaged. It's just plain fun!

You don't have to play 12 hours a day to be successful like you do with other MMO's, so it suits me just fine. Adults usually don't have that kind of time. Wizard 101 is a great game for both kids and adults.

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of KI's new game 'Pirate 101'. If it's half as good as this, I'll be playing yet another "kids game". :D

Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
Me and my wife love to play Wizard101 with our son. :)
I have met many, many older players!
:)

Survivor
Dec 24, 2010
I'm 53. My kids got me started and now I'm the one that plays, lol. I have a level 80 life and five other characters at various levels.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I started playing in 09' as a look at for not only my daughter in the furture but also an intrest for myself. I am a big MMO gamer and Beta Tester for several games. After being a Mod on many games that are now gone (Or just tank because of money hungry or lack of bug correcting), I wanted to play for myself. Also my husband saw me testing games and became intrested in a world he never knew. No I did not test W101 but was so instested that I just had to try. I did and was hooked! Soon after my husband saw me playing and wanted too. The problem was, at the time, we only had one computer. Also with health and money trouble, we could not always keep membership. (You know it's bad when you cant get less then $15 together a month) Now that we are more steady we are back and playing. The only downfall right now is getting another computer so our 8yo daughter can play with us. I love W101 and cant wait for P101! (Life, Myth, Ice, Death, Fire, Balance)

Very much an adult here when I have to be....but will always be a kid at heart. :)

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
Lol I'm an old wizard the game have a lot of drama in it but I play it with my friends and If you just ignore them they will ignore you don't talk to them

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009