Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
I am an adult player and Im LOVING the game! It is SO much like a video game I may have on one of my play systems such as play station. Loving it! But not sure where or who are adults :D
If anyone knows how to find me (Im new so would have no clue how) find me in game and speak to me - maybe we can add each other and help with battles / quests :)

Survivor
Dec 08, 2011
Older gamer here as well!!

My seven year old son found the site, and pestered me to play with him, so I downloaded it and ran around to help him out with his quests. Soon my partner joined in, and we stayed up past my son's bedtime playing all by ourselves.

Our family Christmas present was a W101 family membership! :D

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
My kids got me into it. I'm an older (my sister is already a grandmother)/paranoid Mom who checks out all the stuff they do. We did another MMO before but I found that though I liked it, it was very dark and put me (emotionally) in a place that I didn't like very much... even though I enjoyed the whole MMO concept.

We've been playing here for years because I like the "feel" of it. Bright colours, less bloody, easier reporting methods supporting better/appropriate public behaviour, team building, strategy/critical thinking, geography (reflecting places on the planet), pop culture/literature/humour (Sherlock Holmes/Moriarty/Meowiarty is such a hoot - and it got us all reading Sherlock Holmes stories, though I hadn't read one for years and we bought the DVD set of the old series), numbers (lots of percentages here so we get some extra brain gymnastics going on here that we do verbally at the dinner table re: outfits, etc.). I could go on really about all the reasons specific to this game that I prefer it here.

NOW... I play more than the kids do. I have looked at other MMOs since joining this one. I *still* do not like the "dark" feel of them. I *adore* W101 re: looking for the injections of humour that are here, some obvious and some not so obvious. The brightness/feel (Dragonspyre is one place I try to get through fairly quickly though - it leans a little dark but not near other MMOs) and the math/strategy are probably the two biggest reasons I like it here.

Well done KI. :)

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
Another adult player here. Typically, I think you can tell the adults from the kids just by how they carry themselves in the game.

Elizabeth StarRider-Legendary Deviner

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
Yes i am an older player.
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Survivor
Jan 16, 2010
pinkglacier wrote:
I am an "older" player as well. I just stopped playing an online game for the same reasons. Greedy and rude players. We need more fun! Only drawback I see is that once you reach level 50 there is nothing left to accomplish so until new world comes lots of people have stopped playing. Anyway good luck and if you need a friend let me know!

More to accomplish now! Wizard101 is constantly expanding and thats what makes the game fun and for all ages. Keep it up KingsIsle!

Explorer
Apr 20, 2011
I wouldn't dream of posting my age, but my younger brother is a grandfather and retired.

Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
My son who is in the military got me hooked on this game when he was in high school.

I love this game, especially the plants. I have more fun watching their antics, trying to match them to non-game plants (real ones). It's fun having a garden when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground :-)

My husband and daughter, every day, remind me to "water my plants" in game. Fun game KI

Kymma
Lvl 48 Death Srudent

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
Another older player here. My oldest daughter "forced" me to start playing and now I am 20 levels ahead of her . I have played other mmos, darker and some not so dark but I love how I don't have to commit much time. So many of the mmos tend to be very time consuming...you can't accomplish much in 30 minute intervals. I do miss some of the adult camaraderie that I have experienced in other mmos but I suppose it is just a trade off.

Survivor
May 28, 2010
I'm an older gamer. I just turned 60 in September and I love this game. I have 2 legendary's and the rest are working on defeating the game at various levels.

My 11 year old grandson plays here and we have a great time!

Darby Lifeweaver Level 70

Survivor
Dec 26, 2011
I am an older player. I actually started playing because my daughter was playing and wanted me to play with her. I do agree that a lot of care has gone into the creation of this game. To the original author I say this: It is okay to be "childlike" in the things you do, but it is not okay to be "childish". We should all give ourselves room to have innocent and harmless fun.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
LOL! Older player and proud of it! Just enjoy, it is a stress reliever. I find the game exciting for all ages. You are not alone.

Caroline Thundermask

Survivor
Jun 16, 2011
I commonly see wizards talking bout doing laundry and taking the kids out to play, its normal. After all, dont moderators have accounts? Playing with you just like a normal person playing this game??

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009

Older Player here.. Just wanted to say that I have been playing this game for well over two years.. Thanks to all the adults and kids playing together this game is what it is today. I started playing this game and my kids playing it to.. it is an awesome game for everyone rated E everyone 10 and up is very true.

Thanks,

Michael Soulshade

Survivor
Jul 17, 2008
Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
I guess I would be considered one of the older players. I'm not a mother or anything but let's just say i'm going onto my seventh year of college. :P

Survivor
Jun 07, 2010
Even though I'm young, (I text chat is all I need to say) but my parents, who are... (trying not to be mean here) older individual's play and they even pay for memberships for the three of us. We are pretty far in the game my father's level 61 and I'm 52, and my mother has several (3 or 4) level 50's. So, let me just say you're not alone.

My parent's don't think this game is childish at all. :D

Tara Pixiedust, Level 52 Ice

Survivor
Jan 20, 2012
I'm not exactly that old..but older than most who probably play the game.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2012
Noctis wrote:
Add me to this list!

I am old and new to the game...ha!...

Survivor
Mar 22, 2011
ccourter wrote:
I started playing when my son, who at the time was not a teenager, downloaded the game and was playing it. I admit I was peeved a bit that a game that called itself kid-friendly would allow a child to download the game. I went to the website, trying to look around, clicked on the parents tab, and started reading.

Realizing it sounded an awful lot like Toontown, I thought, Ok, this is a scam to get parents to think it's ok for their kids to play. And decided to start a character and play it to see exactly how it was corrupting my son. And my computer.

Now, 4 or 5 months later, I have one grandmaster life, one who is level 46, I have a storm who is in MooShu, and a Balance in Krokotopia.

I love this story. It's a lot like my own.

My son started playing it and I joined it to see what it was about and to help him out when he needs. I'm a level 58 balance wizard in celestia and wintertusk, he's 54 storm. It's been a fun year!

One of my more amusing moments came on an evening when he was over at his mom's house, and something inspired me to log on, port over to him in the game and tell him to log off and go to sleep! nothing like enabling remote parenting! (Drove him nuts at first, but now he laughs.)

Yeah, I really enjoy this game... I love running into other parents in game too.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2010
Yes, their are a lot of adult players in the sprial. I have met many young adults to to the retired. You can tell if the player is an adult player because there is no chat icon above the players name or they can type and understand numbers. ie. 1 2 3 ... ect

Survivor
Jan 02, 2012
Well, I am a teen gamer. But I think people older and younger than me also play.

Timothy UnicornFriend- Level 44 Death.

P.S. My name is so people think I'm life in PvP.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
AlricRS wrote:
ccourter wrote:
I started playing when my son, who at the time was not a teenager, downloaded the game and was playing it. I admit I was peeved a bit that a game that called itself kid-friendly would allow a child to download the game. I went to the website, trying to look around, clicked on the parents tab, and started reading.

Realizing it sounded an awful lot like Toontown, I thought, Ok, this is a scam to get parents to think it's ok for their kids to play. And decided to start a character and play it to see exactly how it was corrupting my son. And my computer.

Now, 4 or 5 months later, I have one grandmaster life, one who is level 46, I have a storm who is in MooShu, and a Balance in Krokotopia.

I love this story. It's a lot like my own.

My son started playing it and I joined it to see what it was about and to help him out when he needs. I'm a level 58 balance wizard in celestia and wintertusk, he's 54 storm. It's been a fun year!

One of my more amusing moments came on an evening when he was over at his mom's house, and something inspired me to log on, port over to him in the game and tell him to log off and go to sleep! nothing like enabling remote parenting! (Drove him nuts at first, but now he laughs.)

Yeah, I really enjoy this game... I love running into other parents in game too.

LOLZ, parents after my own heart!

I have my own account, 2 transcended, 2 legendary, 1 magus, 1 novice. I have recently inherited my son's account, 1 legendary, 3 novices, and his best friend's account, 1 storm legendary, 1magus balance, 4 empty seats. I foresee way too much time in the Great Spiral over the next several months :)

Once, my best adult wizard friend watched my son fall asleep while they were in Waterworks late at night. Other times she and other friends reported seeing him on waaaayyyyy too late, as in after we were all in bed for the night. I was able to redirect my son into more appropriate nocturnal activities such as sleep due to my friends' good surrogate parenting.

My other best wizard friend frequently joins my youngest son in the Spiral. She travels with him for the sole purpose of shielding and healing him while he saves pips to cast treasure spells in battle :) (He's only 7,) Occasionally, she will take him to practice pvp and protect him while he practices his battle strategy.

I love the community of parents and other kind and responsible people I am fortunate to know in the Great Spiral.

Happiness is my wizarding family IRL and in cyberspace <3

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
Saracidal wrote:
just call me grandma lol and i still play and i love it
GREAT Gramps in bout 6 weeks love the game Trancended Death /Star / Sun

Survivor
Nov 07, 2010