Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 05, 2011
Haha, I'm an older player. If 23 counts as an older player.
Also work full-time and have little time in the evenings but it so happens that my gym is moving and will be closed for a while so I now have some time in the evenings.

Was looking for a free game, found this one by chance and was not planning to pay for it, but your pretty much stuck at level 10 if you don't pay for it.

So I payed my membership and all that, now I'm as crazy as the rest of you :D

Until the new gym opens that is.

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
PeterPi wrote:
Greetings, everyone :)

'Older' person here too (well, older than 18 :) )

I haven't really played many MMOs. WoW never appealed to me. I paid 40 bucks once to get the first two expansions and played for a week just to prove to myself I really wasn't going to like it. :) The only MMO I kept coming back to -- and which I still play -- is LotRO, particularly on the Laurelin server which is dedicated to role-playing in Tolkien's imaginary world and thus the player has the chance to escape the constant need to level up as quickly as possible, turning gaming into yet another chore of life, but can instead concentrate on quality, social interaction, creativity, making good friends and so forth. As an artist who also writes poetry and plays music, this is something that appealed to me.

I found out about Wizard101 from MMORPG.COM which presents a fair amount of different styles of MMOs out there. A few days later, I decided to check out the game, thinking it'd be one of those silly very basic browser games you play for a day and then discard. However, I was immediately drawn by the character selection process, even though it was very simple. I felt it was effective nonetheless. There was a certain finality (pun intended) to finding myself chosen as a Death Wizard :>

Soon I was in-game and was even more impressed by the graphics quality (a great feat taking into consideration it takes 5 minutes to download when the average MMO can easily take an hour, depending on the content you're downloading and your internet speed).

I spoke to one of my real life friends who's also into gaming as well as to one of my RP buddies on LotRO about this (both female artists), and they assured me I wasn't too silly for liking this game :) They claimed that sometimes you need a more relaxed alternative to gaming where you're certain no monsters will run after you unless you choose to battle yourself; and also when you don't wish to think too hard (even role-playing involves books, complex story-lines, etc; you can only do it at certain times, like when you wish to be creative and/or use your mind a lot).

Especially with this annual membership deal (a year for the price of a meal out for two), the game began to look more attractive by the minute. Still, I was hesitating because of the limited chat options and the apparent lack of grown-ups.

However, the large number of "older folk" on this forum convinced me to subscribe as well. :) I hope that at least some of my real-life and 'virtual' MMO friends will also come and join me.

Since social interaction and making good friends is an important part of why most people play MMOs, and since this game has limited chat options in order to protect minors, I'm also going to ask here for you guys to add me as a friend if you see me around (as opposed to in-game!).

So, if anyone's interested in helping out a clueless 'noob' on the Unicorn server, please add me as a friend and say 'not a kid' or something, so I know you're an "older one" from here :)

Patrick Wyrmgrove ~ Death Wizard

Hello Parick..
I'm an adult as well and always like to hang with an older crowd...I guess its nice when someone gets my jokes...My character name is Neela Darkrunner and I'm a life wizard..I don't know all the tricks but am slightly ahead of you ( been a member for a while) and would enjoy giving you a hand..but how to find you is another question..
I hope we can bump into each other..have fun and take care

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
gabrielstovall wrote:
Older? Let's just say I would be an epic pet. ;)

Impressive game without the crude rude and otherwise unacceptable to me behavior that many others have.

I had to respond when I read your part of being an epic pet...i literally laughed out loud and as well smiled cause i believe we are in the same boat. But I truly enjoy the game and hope to bump into you somewhere. Happy playing!

Survivor
Dec 02, 2009
Hello Everyone,
I am an adult player and from what i read I am not allowed to post my age..lets just say old enough. I very much enjoy this game and certainly like to find other adult players to say hello to. My character name is Neela Darkrunner and im a life wizard. If any of you see me running around lost..please feel free to stop and say hello !

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
Saracidal wrote:
just call me grandma lol and i still play and i love it

I didn't know Grandmas said Lol. lol!!

Delver
Sep 27, 2009
Survivor
Aug 07, 2011
Well, I past half a century a few years ago and am having a great time with Wizard101. I met a group of women my age and we have been fighting battles together, which is a lot of fun.
Iridian Iceflame

Survivor
May 31, 2011
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Definitely an older player here. :) I first tried this game, thinking of my grandchildren so I decided to 'test' the site. Of course I became 'addicted' if you want to call it that and started playing regularly. My grandchildren saw me playing it and watched and have demanded and begged to be allowed to play. We just got my granddaughter the Chrismoose and she loves it.

My grandson does not have an account yet though we're all working on it. And of course I still find at least a few minutes each day to log in and have fun.

Shanna Stormsword

Survivor
Jun 14, 2011
Yeah, totally. I know a 40-year-old who plays, and my 60-year-old dad does too.

Adept Pyromancer

Samuel Goldflame

Survivor
Nov 08, 2009
Survivor
Oct 30, 2010
i am a older kid you can say i got my girlfriend to start playing and its fun so if someone dont like it forget them i like. :D

Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
Hello! I am also an older player... love the game so much. I started playing a little over a year ago and am very addicted. My husband also plays. We tried getting our 8 year old son into playing but he has a hard time staying with the game. My husband and I play usually in the morning after our son goes to school and after he goes to bed at night. All I can say is keep up the good work KI!

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
some times ask some one do you want to play a pvp with me or something then they say i cant need to go to work tomorrow

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
1. I guess you would call me a casual gamer for the only game I really play is W101. ;-)
2. I heard about W101 by seeing it on TV.
3. I think the commercial is wonderful! That's what got me hooked!

As for the question of "older players". I was always wondering if I was too old to be playing this. I started college this year and I was thinking that there probably weren't a lot of college students playing this game. However, after seeing that there are so many different generations playing this, it made me feel a lot better. :)

~Esmee Sparkle
LVL 41 Balance/Fire

Survivor
Feb 19, 2010
Survivor
Aug 25, 2011
Hello All! :D
We have three generations playing, youngest 9 oldest is 81 years old, my mother.

Survivor
Dec 04, 2009
Hey! Half a century age wise here and playing 6 characters! Lovin' every minute of it! 8)

Survivor
Aug 04, 2009
I'm an older player too. This game may look cutesy on the surface, but there are good mechanics and depth of gameplay.

-- Andrew "Andy" Emeraldspear

Survivor
Dec 06, 2008
I'll jump in here too. Both me & my husband play and love it. We've played MMO's for *cough* too many years and have grown tired of the constant repeatative things. We're casual gamers so found ourselves often left behind or unable to participate because we didn't have the 'right' gear, etc. We love the fact that we can play as much or as little and all is still right in the Wizard world.

Do we play with our kids? No, there's only 2 left at home (and into other things) and the grandkids don't have 'gaming' parents so they don't quite get it...yet...lol

Back to the point, yeah, older gamers here as well...9 grandkids should qualify us for that

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
It depends on your definition of "older" I'll be 66 in February, so I guess not old! :D

Survivor
Dec 13, 2008
One of my favorite aspects of this game is that I can play it with my Son. His older Sister never quite got into it, but she is married now and about to have a baby - so maybe soon it will be Me, my Son, and my Grand Daughter all fighting badness side by side. :-)

Survivor
Aug 23, 2009
I'm an older player who's enjoyed the game for awhile now and I enjoy every minute

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I remember back in them days when I was threatened by my mom to be sent into counseling for playing games. I lost count how many times I was threatened.

Now my mom plays this game, and as surprised as I am, I love playing this game with my mom. I am ancient now, and my mom is of course older.

I have to say, I am impressed with this game. Compared to other MMO's this game is like a breath of fresh air. One player said it all, your character does not get left behind because of what people think is the right equipment or not. Here, you don't get judged (not obviously) about what people think your skill is in this game.

Any character you play here can see it's full potential. With the moderated chat, you never have to hear smack talk from random people just because they think they hot. Well, to some extend, anyway. Until we humans learn to grow up and evolve another level.

While there are some quirks in this game that I would love to see addressed, in general, this is my second favorite MMO, and perhaps the only MMO that I will keep playing until the day I die.

Survivor
Aug 21, 2008
i am an adult i actually found this game when it was in beta and i got my other friend who is also adult to play we love it :D

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
I am 38, play with my two kids (7 and 5). My mom who is 72 levelled up a life wizard to help them kill Malistaire for the first time together during a holiday visit :)