Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Game Updates

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

Jun 21, 2009
I am a grandfather who should know better than to try to keep up with the youngsters but I so enjoy playing the game. My god-son got me hooked on Wizard101 and, since his mother is a widow, I am one of the few male influences in his life since his father passed away. Finally, there is something the two of us can share that gives us the time to talk so he can ask me the "stupid questions" all teens ask as they grow up.

I'm going to have to teach him to ask for help before he assaults bosses by himself though.

Feb 01, 2009
I am an older player also. my kids got me hooked on it. :)

Jun 24, 2009
Both my husband and I enjoy this game. After trying it for about 3 days we bought the Family account. We are grandparents to give you approx age. We have beta tested and played many online MMORG's over many years now. I didn't think my husband would like this game, but he is just as hooked as I am. Guess we got tired of the drama in other games as well.

Mar 08, 2009
Lissi wrote:
dutch1146 wrote:
My wife and i recently became great-grand parents. Is that adult enough? :D She and I both play the game, have our own accounts and we bought my wife a new computer for her birthday because of W101. We are giving our mature, adult kids updated computers so we can introduce them to the game.

I would love to have a 'group' of players that are grandparents get together and help each other out. I think it would be fun. Especially when Grizzleheim comes to the live realm. They will have a much better chat section. So if any of your are game, just respond on this board and we can go from there.

I would love to meat you and your wife somewhere in the spiral. I love this game and it's getting a little boring for me at the moment.

I try to play nightly; my husband (dutch) can be on more often and plays during the day. My most played character right now is Brooke (balance) and I just finished Iron Works with her last night. Should begin next quest (can't remember which one that is) tonight but will probably be checking out Grizzleheim instead. Will be sure to be on Greyrose, Area 1 realm beginning about 6:00 p.m. central time. Not sure what character my husband will be using tonight but if you can catch up with me I'll know where he is at the time.

Apr 25, 2009
I am an older person aswell and enjoy this game. I have encountered the same problems as others with other online games. This game is much easier to manage because of the ability to choose who you play with and make friends. I am level 48 fire/ice wizard right now waiting to upload new level

May 11, 2009

well yes indeed! I met my three best online friends here one mid thirties and a professional. two of us are late forties, one a stay at home grandmother and I am a temporarily disabled mom of a middle school girl and (and fellow gamer) and my cartoon boyfriend who is a retired Navy man.

We get together at set times and have battled our way to level 48 as one.

Keep playing! We may actually be a good influence on some of the youngsters here.

Jun 16, 2009
Older addicted player here as well. Started by checking it out for my daughter and nephews and became addicted! Now how to find other adults in game is the big question?

Jun 16, 2009
At first I wasn't sure this game would be age-apropriate for me, as it seems to be geared for younger gamers, but after my first battle I no longer cared. I love Magic: The Gathering (TCG) and popular MMOs such as WoW, and after seeing how this game combines these two interests flawlessly, I haven't stopped playing.

I love how many 'older' individuals I have met through playing Wizard101. I myself am in my early twenties, and I find it soothing to find so much maturity in the game.

Where as in other games I m constantly under attack by a slew of insults such as 'noob,' 'loser,' and 'hack.' This game, even in PVP, people often times point out your misplays in a kind way to improve your play style.

Also, I find that many of the older gamers in Wizard are wise enough to discuss deck building strategies before entering a dungeon so that the estimated hour and a half turns into thirty to forty minutes and goes off without a hitch.

I have also noticed that in this game, unlike many others of it's kind, that the older community embraces the younger players and do what they can to help them blossom into competent players in their own right.

I doubt this game would be as fun or rewarding without so many older players helping out.

Jun 27, 2009
I must confess, I started playing a few days ago when I saw the website address on the Disney channel. I have no kids. I was just watching me some X-men cartoons and I decided on a lark to look into it. A day later I ran out of quests to do in the free area so I am trying out a subscription.

The game play is solid no matter how old you are.

William FoeHammer, game addict and level 24 Death/Life wizard.

May 09, 2009
:D Older here, I set up a family plan with my daughter and grandkids, is that older enough for you. I got hooked first and now they're hooked. We're having a great time and enjoy W101 as a family. The dynamics in this game are great.

May 27, 2009
Hi there.
Level 38 Life/Storm Magus, Aaron StarHeart, soon to be 44 years old.
Thoroughly enjoying W101. Might be nice to actually interact with the adult set, and while we're at it, might i suggest expanding the vocabulary to at least include (harmless) words one might use in Scrabble or find in their thesaurus.
As a writer, i find myself constantly impeded by the chat limitations. As a mentor, i know that kids today can tend to be much more intelligent and eloquent than most people give them credit for.

Still, I am Loving W101 and look forward to seeing much more of Grizzleheim.

May 25, 2009

Absolutely! My son talked me into playing because he thought I would love it and buy a Family Subscription. He was right. I do and I did. Can't say that my husband really likes it too much though. He's eating a lot of take-out lately! Perhaps we need to talk him into playing too. One problem there. We would have to buy the third computer in the household!

I've met a lot of great wizards on here, young and old alike. Seems a lot of us insomniatic Mothers are playing late at night. Thank-you so much KI for the Open Chat feature.
Sign me,
Another "Older" Player
Elizabeth Dreamweaver

May 27, 2009
i have 2 kids, there not old enough to play, but my daughter loves to move the char around. She gives sound effects to the mongo frog, my wife gets a kick out of it.

I think this game is a good mix of 3 games. WOW/MTG/Final Fantasy.
Definitly a game i want my kids playing.

There is a huge nostolgic factor here as well. I like to play some powerglove while i duel. Brings back memorys.

Mar 10, 2009
Hello All... Got a 40-year old here with a 10 year old son that got me totally hooked on this game. I have been continually surprised at how many adults are on this game. I think it's kinda cool! See you guys out there and happy Wizarding!

Connor DeathWalker
GrandMaster Necromancer

Dec 14, 2008

I try to play nightly; my husband (dutch) can be on more often and plays during the day. My most played character right now is Brooke (balance) and I just finished Iron Works with her last night. Should begin next quest (can't remember which one that is) tonight but will probably be checking out Grizzleheim instead. Will be sure to be on Greyrose, Area 1 realm beginning about 6:00 p.m. central time. Not sure what character my husband will be using tonight but if you can catch up with me I'll know where he is at the time.

Sorry i missed you yesterday. I'll be in Grizzleheim at 6:00 pm central time today with my balance character Tasha. Hope to meet you in Greyrose Area 1 realm

Jan 23, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

Let's see:

One I didn't consider myself a gamer. Since this is the first game I played I was told about others here tried them and came back. But I am rather good at this one and so I like it (fickle as I am)

Two I was actually doing a story on a local wizard and when reserching the lingo I came across your site and thought it was a about being a wizard. I was wrong and so I signed up to see if it was a good game for my son. I ended up hooked and they didn't really like it, one loves my gore the other loves more cartoons. However both love to watch me play.

Three is a matter of making the storyline longer. I mentioned earlier that in my experience adults tend to play the quests more so we like the idea of progress, We aren't kids so we don't play like kids we like goals and challenges and dare I say again rewards.

I would love to see the option of growing up. I am actually not a child and feel kinda funny about being a child would love for my wizards to be able to grow up to maybe teenaged witches (sabrina- I loved that comic - yes I am an OLD mom) or twenty-something. Maybe you can add that choice to the adult players so we know who we are.

Also I would LOVE LOVE LOVE if you hired a clothing designer. Am I the only one who thinks the best looking clothing always it has the worse stats. I loved the 18th century dresses in Marley but can only wear them when I am not playing and just chatting with friends.

If you want to market it this to adults? You have to only do the first one. Honestly, I would not have signed up if the only thing I saw was the commercial my son showed me on Cartoon Network, it seems like a it was designed for kids.

The reason why I answered this thread in the first place was because I remember being a noob (boy do i) and how exciting it was to play a game online with others (again my first online game) but it was my references to old pop culture and others comments to it that made me ask others if they too were adults. I wanted the person who wrote this to know they were not alone.

We are everywhere!

Apr 30, 2009
I'm glad you posted this, because I'm a wife, mom... and gamer. We're not being "childish" by wanting a temporary escape from our daily grind. There's no shame in having a hobby, as long as it doesn't take the place of what's important in your life! It's nice to know that there are other adults who feel the same way...

W101 is great, and I prefer it over the other MMO's that I've tried.

Destiny Goldensong
lvl 44 Master Diviner (storm)
Pet Dragon: "Precious"

May 22, 2009
Ha. Thats funny I am a mother of three. My 10 year old was sitting playing. And he asked me to sit through a battle so that I could pick a card. I got so frustrated I read the players manual. Now we are fighting over the computer for this game. Its great.

Mar 14, 2009
older player here as well. I saw the ad on Nick when watching something with my daughter and decided to try it. I needed something to do at night while DH played his games. Now, my 6yr old plays this game and she is just as addicted as I am. Thank you KI staff for creating this.

PS: Like the idea too of allowing us older folks to play "older" wizards. :)

May 27, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

May 27, 2009
gwendolyn000 wrote:
PS: Like the idea too of allowing us older folks to play "older" wizards. :)

Good call.

Apr 01, 2009
I'm and older player too.

I think like most parents, we get on this site to see what it's about. My child came to me asking to subscribe. So before I put any money into, I wanted to see if it's worth it.

And it is.

So now I'm playing on my character "Shelby Orgeshade" while she plays hers "Scarlet Dunestaff". Although she has me helping her out with Scarlet to get her up to the same level as Shelby.

Feb 16, 2009
My husband and I both play this game religiously....you can tell by going through the game that it is geared to both young and old.....what younger person has a clue what "blue oyster cult" is, or who "fluffy" is? NONE!

BUT, to all the adults on this game....you have to understand that there are many many children on this game.....I assume most of you adults have kids.....imagine a million kids in one place.....it is going to be stressful at times.

Kids are kids and they always will be....to continously complain, or even stop playing the game because of what they say and do is letting them have their way....bad move.

Just remember that kids and adults are different and have different interests....I wouldnt think it would be that hard for the adults to find different areas or places where there arent as many kids.....or even certain times of day.

I just dont see the adults acting any better than the children....which is what causes the stress more than the actions of the children

Aug 01, 2008
I'm a 42 year old adult player who picked this game because I wanted something more relaxing, fun and enjoyable to play.

At least that is what the game was like when I started playing. With the "enhancements" they've not instituted... I'm not so sure anymore.

Jul 05, 2009
I am 25 myself and Its very fun, I wish I knew of the game before blowing over 100.00 on Atlantica online. LOL I always enjoyed card games and battles like in Magic the gathering and such, but this is more my taste since its a family oriented game and though some people might be poor sports, its a game i can sit down and play for awhile and log off knowing i had a great time :)