Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2010
I am a grampa and started playing this to spend time with Daughter who lives 500 miles away. Last night I ran into another grandma who introduced me to her daughter who turned out to be older than me lol. So you may well be middle the pack in here.

Regarding your comment about other games and reporting things - KI is very good at that. In about 2 years playing I have only ever reported someone once - but believe me they deserved it. I was reported on once and got a little freaked out as I had no idea what I done to offend. I believe it was the char Mr Lincoln who checks on things got back to me within 24 hours to say - I was good to go and the reporter had no cause.

So good all around - Hope your still in the spiral - see you around.

Johnathan Dreambreaker
Legendary Life

Survivor
Sep 07, 2010
I am!! More and more all the time too..it really is for the whole family

Survivor
Dec 16, 2010
Of the 'older' population here ^__^
Which realm do we frequent most? -- I have a distinct lack of good friend's on the game/general people to talk to whilst I am questing.
I am not bothered by level etc as I solo a lot but adore helping out.

Recently started training a new storm wizard (yes, she'll be my second legendary storm) and quite envious of my long-term friend's amazing relationships he has built up. I think I run in to problems with timing as I am an oversea player (UK).

I realm hop a lot, looking for people to talk to. But look out for Taryn Heart - Currently level 35 storm, Nightmare mount and Epic Bailey the cloud beast <3

Which realms are your favourite?

Survivor
May 12, 2010
I would like to have the potion that comes on area of my chartacter to use.
Everytime I try it say that there is a problem with the request.
Need help.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
I am an older player myself.
Let's just say John Kennedy was still alive and kicking, when I was born.
Been playing this game for close to a year now.
I have played another MMO, but I won't post its name. It was just almost impossible to get anywhere, at all, if you tried to solo.
This game is fun and I can solo most of the time, when I want.

I Use the name Morgan Lightflame (Death School) and frequent the Lincoln domain, mostly.

Survivor
May 01, 2010
Just throwing my $0.02 worth into this convo as I am an older player as well. I started playing first because my kids wanted to play and I needed to check the game out before I would let them. Since then, my children play now with me and I very much enjoy the game. I have been plying for just over a year now I think and I have 3 legendary Wizards. I too used to play other MMORPGs but since I started playing Wizards101 I have since canceld every one of those other accounts. (I have spent more money on Wizards101 though via crown purchases than I ever did with other MMORPGs).

So, if you see me around feel free to chat. I do not frequent any specific realms. I just go where the game takes me.

Valkoor StormHunter - Legendary Fire
Vanessa StormHunter - Legendary Balance
Valerian StormHunter - Legendary Storm
Valdus StormHunter - Lvl 38 Death

Survivor
Oct 15, 2011
Older gamer here too - my kids started playing so i thought i would have a look at it and got addicted too. My partner used to play before he met my kids and i and now he plays with us too.
I am in my 30's and so glad to see others who are older and play this game! I play WoW and LOTRO as well so i am not a stranger to gaming. Loving this game so far though - when i get to play it- seeing as the kids hog the computers all the time! LOL! I had to get two extra computers and sacrifice my laptop so that everyone could play at the same time. Its definitely worth it though.

Defender
Sep 05, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I always have liked the old memories and moments in this game, and other games as well. The main thing I want Kingsisle to do is bring back Zeke items, with the good stats, and cards. And also the star and moon patterns!

Survivor
Apr 26, 2009
Survivor
Oct 01, 2011
I'm an adult, and I run into quite a few people who are obviously younger on here, but three fourths of anyone with open chat seems to be an adult, there are always exceptions, but most of the people I meet with open chat and quite a few without are grown up, at least the way they act,

On the other side of the coin, I meet quite a few people who make me feel like a grumpy old man, and my fiancee complains constantly about children following her and bragging about how super they are,

I find its best to ignore age and just be friends with whoever you actually like talking to, some younger players are gonna be mature and some older ones are gonna act like tom fools, but at any rate I hope the number of posts here answer your question about older players ;)

Survivor
Jul 20, 2008
1990`s Kid right here and I have been here since the 1st time it was released man was that a good summer.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
DarkNecro wrote:
1990`s Kid right here and I have been here since the 1st time it was released man was that a good summer.

I remember that summer starting my first day as a level 1

Survivor
Sep 26, 2011
Older wife and i play. though w101 don't don't seem to like yearly members has not let me connect in days

Survivor
Jul 25, 2010
We adults are everywhere! i play along with my adult sister and my mom as well as with four of my grandchildren! i have developed friendships with many people. Both young and old. i have four friendships in the game world that have lasted almost 1 1/2 years.

A+ Student
Feb 25, 2009
Mother to 4, grandmother to 10, and great grandmother to 1. YEAH!!!! I would say that qualifies me as older gamer. But there are players even older than me. lol I have been playing for over 2 years, but I have stretched my wizards out so that only 2 are legendary at the moment and the third not far behind. Have also recently started a second account. I do enjoy playing this game with the older gamers and not have the drama that some of the kids tend to create. But some of my friends are young adults and I enjoy the time we can play together.

Survivor
Nov 20, 2010
goldenpharaoh wrote:
Its totally normal. I've met several "older" individuals like you and myself while playing this awesome game. Best online game environment i've played on ever. Keep up the great work!!

i am also an older player,i started playing feb of 2011 i love it and have found other older players from great britain.

Survivor
Jan 07, 2011
Where I live, and "old player" on this game is about age 9. Popularity is a big thing. Does that stop me from playing? NO.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2011
I play regularly, have a blast with the game, and I am 36 years old.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2009
There are a few older people here. including me., so don't feel alone :) Add my char. Her name is: Kimberly GoldenGem. cya in game

Explorer
Jun 04, 2009
Older player started playing as soon as i saw the first commercial. It is perfectly normal. My dad plays two other games (not including W101) and sometimes when i say goodnight to him before i go to bed he just seems almost worried sometimes. But when you get more used to the game you will hopefully enjoy it more.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2009
Older player here. *waving* I started back in 2010 and love it!

Explorer
Dec 25, 2010
Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Older? Let's just say I would be an epic pet. ;)

Impressive game without the crude rude and otherwise unacceptable to me behavior that many others have.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2011
41. I was thinking about introducing my 7 year old daughter to WOW so we could game together but had some concerns. She found Wizard 101 and we both play.

Survivor
Dec 01, 2011
Greetings, everyone :-)

'Older' person here too (well, older than 18 :-) )

I haven't really played many MMOs. WoW never appealed to me. I paid 40 bucks once to get the first two expansions and played for a week just to prove to myself I really wasn't going to like it. :-) The only MMO I kept coming back to -- and which I still play -- is LotRO, particularly on the Laurelin server which is dedicated to role-playing in Tolkien's imaginary world and thus the player has the chance to escape the constant need to level up as quickly as possible, turning gaming into yet another chore of life, but can instead concentrate on quality, social interaction, creativity, making good friends and so forth. As an artist who also writes poetry and plays music, this is something that appealed to me.

I found out about Wizard101 from MMORPG.COM which presents a fair amount of different styles of MMOs out there. A few days later, I decided to check out the game, thinking it'd be one of those silly very basic browser games you play for a day and then discard. However, I was immediately drawn by the character selection process, even though it was very simple. I felt it was effective nonetheless. There was a certain finality (pun intended) to finding myself chosen as a Death Wizard :>

Soon I was in-game and was even more impressed by the graphics quality (a great feat taking into consideration it takes 5 minutes to download when the average MMO can easily take an hour, depending on the content you're downloading and your internet speed).

I spoke to one of my real life friends who's also into gaming as well as to one of my RP buddies on LotRO about this (both female artists), and they assured me I wasn't too silly for liking this game :-) They claimed that sometimes you need a more relaxed alternative to gaming where you're certain no monsters will run after you unless you choose to battle yourself; and also when you don't wish to think too hard (even role-playing involves books, complex story-lines, etc; you can only do it at certain times, like when you wish to be creative and/or use your mind a lot).

Especially with this annual membership deal (a year for the price of a meal out for two), the game began to look more attractive by the minute. Still, I was hesitating because of the limited chat options and the apparent lack of grown-ups.

However, the large number of "older folk" on this forum convinced me to subscribe as well. :-) I hope that at least some of my real-life and 'virtual' MMO friends will also come and join me.

Since social interaction and making good friends is an important part of why most people play MMOs, and since this game has limited chat options in order to protect minors, I'm also going to ask here for you guys to add me as a friend if you see me around (as opposed to in-game!).

So, if anyone's interested in helping out a clueless 'noob' on the Unicorn server, please add me as a friend and say 'not a kid' or something, so I know you're an "older one" from here :-)

Patrick Wyrmgrove ~ Death Wizard