Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
aridane07 wrote:
I'm an adult and don't laugh this is my first time playing an online game like this and I am loving it! This is so much detail in this game and it is has a very family focus sense and I am completely addicted to this game, I probably need to spend more time off the computer actually, but still love this game and recommend it to my friends

Don't worry, aridane07- this is my first game as well, so you are definitely not alone, :)

Like you, I've also recommended it to friends (all adults)- they play other games, though, and aren't as into this one, but w101 will always be my first love... It's fun, (relatively) drama-free, and a feast for the senses (I am completely A.D.D., so all of the details (bright colours, riveting storylines, happy, little creatures) are some of the only things that can keep my attention for more than 3 sec... Ooh, shiny!

But I digress. :P

Survivor
Apr 17, 2011
I am an older player (remeber 8 tracks) and it is my first online game. I love it, I prefer to play later in the evening, more older players are on then. You can just tell by the way they play and the maturity of the chat.

It would be awesome to have a realm for older players!! Some of the young players can be a little annoying, asking for crowns and things like that.

Survivor
Aug 28, 2011
Older guy here myself, I have no kids either. I have enjoyed this game for a few years off and on. I definately enjoy it at various points of the day. Always looking for mature players to quest with. (and when I quest I try to do every single pain staking repitious quest I can find!) :P

Survivor
Jun 08, 2011
Agreeing with what SunShine said, it would be nice to be able to "friend" more older players. Maybe if there was a place to meet would be nice or even have a better way to find the older people from this message board in the game. If I wanted to be friend one of the players on here, sunshine for example, there isn't a good/easy way to meet in the game is there? I don't know of one.

Survivor
Sep 02, 2009
Another older player here. My kids are teens. But this does allow me to play with my young nephews across the country. The person who got me into the game is an adult. I like it as a stress relief. It's fun, I don't have to be the best, L33T gamer on the block. I play other games, but this is my go to game for just plain fun play.

Momstable

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
I am an older player. I don't have kids. My neice told me about this game. I've been playing PC DND games since I was a kid so I thought I would check it out. I love it and I've started a family subscription so she could get into the pay areas with me. I've only been playing for a few months so I'm still learning a few things but I'm up to level 58 now. :D I have open chat and a few kids have thought it was weird that I was an adult playing. I've played other MMO's and I just like this one better. Although it would be nice if there was a way to distinguish which one of my "online friends" were adults like me...

Add me if you see me in the game... "Jenna Dragonsong"

Survivor
Aug 02, 2009
I am 49 and love this game, it is clean fun and graphics are great! I have been on wizard since it started and always will be!!!

Survivor
Jul 04, 2011
I am a mom of two and lets say that my generation rocked out to Kiss in the back of moms "tuna boat four door" HAHAHA. Point being no your not alone. I played other MMORPG's since mid 90's. I dont think I can say the names but uh lets say they are very popular and graphically realistic druids, necros, mages, etc if youve ever played one before this you probably can read between the lines on what games I am talking about.

I got tired of them over the years due to way out of line language and comments, 1 zillion Chuck Norris and Leroy Jenkins jokes, KSing, camping, and just plain rudeness. Not to mention raid leaders and guilds that left alot to be desired!

Now mind you here I still run into some seriously rude people mostly those whom are obviously kids and while as an adult the mom in me kicks in and thinks how dare you talk to me like that the gamer in me ignores it.

Overall this game is a great "magic" game choice if your wanting to escape the nine hour group raids with DKP, KSing and camping and still get the storylines, goals, crafting, etc. I view this game in that I think they took the best parts of the 3 Major MMOPRG's over the last 15 years stripped it down to the basics, restricted it to be accessible to kids, then beefed it back up a notch to sell to their parents LOL..total genius!

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
I have to agree with the post from sunshineandwine. One of the things that has annoyed me the most is the repetitive request for crowns from kids in the game. I don't agree with that. I find it rude and pushy. I would really love it if there was a realm for adults only. I find that when I tell them no most of them get all huffy then "unfriend" me. Not that it really matters to me but it's just irritating. I wouldn't mind giving equipment or other items that I don't need but I'm not going to give away something I have to pay cash for. Does anyone no if there is a meeting place, website, or location within the game that is mainly for the adult players?

Jenna Dragonsong

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Jenn8391 wrote:
I have to agree with the post from sunshineandwine. One of the things that has annoyed me the most is the repetitive request for crowns from kids in the game. I don't agree with that. I find it rude and pushy. I would really love it if there was a realm for adults only. I find that when I tell them no most of them get all huffy then "unfriend" me. Not that it really matters to me but it's just irritating. I wouldn't mind giving equipment or other items that I don't need but I'm not going to give away something I have to pay cash for. Does anyone no if there is a meeting place, website, or location within the game that is mainly for the adult players? Jenna Dragonsong
It's been suggested before to have adult meetings, but this is near futile. With all the different schedules and time zones of people, coupled with the fact that there are no 'adult only' areas, i'm not certain how successful this has yet to be. Plus, how would you verify age? Ask the person to name a tom jones song? :)

Survivor
Jan 19, 2011
How about they have to know what an atari or a commodore 64 is? I know it's just wishful thinking. Maybe KI could build a pub in the commons or in Olde Town and you have to enter your user id and pwd to get in? That way it could be restricted to those accounts verified by credit cards?

Jenna Dragonsong

Survivor
Dec 01, 2008
I'm in my early twenties, so I'm not that old, but I still find this game extremely fun! While I won't say that I'm addicted, since I barely have time to game anymore due to studies, I still find this game a great way to unwind. I admit, I'm a habitual MMORPG gamer with the attention span of a fly, so I have played quite a few other MMORPG games, and this one is one of my favorites.

Defender
Jun 06, 2009
Yeah, another older player here. My daughter wanted to try the game, so I set up a family account and we both created characters.

I go through periods of inactivity but always return; my daughter is the same way.

We've been playing almost 2.5 years at this point. Though I find the expansions disappointing (blurring the lines between the schools), it was inevitable. Your most loyal customers want more, more more, and they're paying for it.

I sometimes wish there was a version switch, where you could play a "retro" version of the game where Life did all the healing, Fire had all the DoTs, Lightning was stuck in "come on 7s" mode but killed anything in its path when they hit, etc.

But I understand the engineering effort such a feature would require and KI isn't in for charity.

Anyway, finding adult (or sufficiently mature junior) players is rarely challenging, and I tend to have a small handful of buds. If we're looking for a quiet adult run, we simply join a group and only look at the text in the chat window when it's aquamarine colored LOL.

Of course, I have an advantage; my primary character is a healer, so I demonstrate my good nature by doing everyone favors in battle and the folks who like that friend me -- doesn't take long to filter out the immature folks and next thing you know we're running adventures together simply because we know who we can trust when we get into a pinch.

So I haven't suffered for lack of an adult area in the game. But I can see where that might be useful. I just don't know how you'd configure the confirmation process.

But it probably doesn't matter, since I doubt KI is working on an adults-only area of the world anyway.

Have fun out there!

- Stephen Earthmender
Life School

Survivor
Jun 28, 2009
pinkglacier wrote:
I am an "older" player as well. I just stopped playing an online game for the same reasons. Greedy and rude players. We need more fun! Only drawback I see is that once you reach level 50 there is nothing left to accomplish so until new world comes lots of people have stopped playing. Anyway good luck and if you need a friend let me know!

To all the older players out there don't let them get to you, atleast you have the common since to be polite to others and not be rude like some of these younger players on here. If you meet a rude player, just ask him or her to leave or just ignore them all together. Some players think that just because they're a higher level than you are they can call you a noob or other rude names. Guess what, they had to start at the bottom to. You can't change those rude SOB's if you tried. So don't bother trying. The majority of people playing are really nice. I like this game very much and some little snot nose person isn't going to stop me from having a good time playing it. I've got far to many good friends on here to let it bother me. :)

Survivor
Jun 08, 2011
Actually ran into my first "adult" player since I started playing about a few months ago. They also have had problems finding other adult players but they did have a real simple solution.

What about a badge for those over 18?

It may not be a perfect solution but so much better then nothing at all. Can't see how it would be hard for KI to set up either.

Survivor
Jul 20, 2011
I'm an old lady compared to most on the game. I have played for several months now and have spoken with several other players. All of them have been very nice and we have helped each other out. You can feel free to add me as a friend if you like.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2011
AudioIllusion wrote:
Older player here. I have all chat options off so there could be all kinds of drama and i have no clue. Love the game though.

I am an older player, I dont have chat options off but I have found the ignore player option works beautifully :). Unfortunately it feels wierd when I have lots of little ones flirting with me...ick lol

Survivor
Sep 03, 2011
yup older gamer right here i got to say i got hooked on this game just this this month. It's a really fun game

Survivor
Sep 19, 2011
38 here, just started playing this weekend with my daughter who is 6.

Survivor
Jul 24, 2011
My son got me interested in this game. I put in many hours at times he simply can't. He misses out on a good bit of the plot, but he'd rather have the power associated with being higer in level. I may have him start another character from scratch. The one we recently started is already up to level 37 and has many nice crown shop hand-me-downs to give to the next wizard we start.

Survivor
Dec 09, 2008
absouloutley. I have two aunts that play, my dad plays, even my grandma plays! :D

Survivor
Sep 18, 2011
Survivor
Sep 04, 2011
Survivor
Aug 22, 2009
My grandson introduced me to this game! He still plays, and now so do other grand kids, my wife and our grown son. I have texted with people who claim to be over 80!

Recently I was texting with a person who said he set up a home with a pvp circle so his kids could pvp without the trash talk. What a great idea!

I always tell others who "express an interest" that I am married and too old for them. Some stay interested in staying friends. Many scurry off. A couple have told me to get off the game and get a life, because this is for kids. But hey, boys and girls of all ages just want to have fun.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2010
my my husband and my mom play together so ya wer older