Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
Yes, older player here! I am in my mid-20s and have no kids, so I play all by myself. :-) I don't know whether or not I've already answered this post and really don't feel like going through 30+ pages to find out, but I digress.

I'm not really a 'gamer', in the traditional sense- I like PC games (think, TS2- I own every expansion every created :-P) and first-person shooters, like Blake Stone and Halloween Harry (yes, I'm dating myself here). This is my first MMO, though I've endured my man's addictions to WoW and other soul-sucking games, where most of the players are rude and too uptight- I'm sorry, but if I have to schedule time to play (my man used to go on voice-chat and say, 'no, you can't play Guitar Hero- I have a guild meeting'), then it's not fun and defeats the purpose of being a fun, fluffy time-waster. :-)

How I found this game: my 30something boyfriend came across w101 while browsing the internet with his niece and nephew. He made a character to join them and, since I am a huge Potter fan (have been, since I was a kid), suggested that I join, too. None of them play anymore, but I have two different accounts, twelve wizards between them, and I switch back and forth; I even bought two memberships, just so I wouldn't have to purchase every, single area- that way, I can spend my crowns on things I actually want/need- like henchmen, mounts, or the mastery amulet that I haven't yet decided on.

My primary/non-gaming interests are reading and writing, and I'm even working on a novel based on characters I've created in w101; I've never written fantasy before, so I'm kind of interested to see where it all goes. :-) Good to meet you all, and see you in the Spiral!

Laura Shadowsong
Legendary Sorcerer

also known as...

Valerian Deathwhisper
Magus Necromancer

Sestiva Stormblade
Initiate Diviner

Patrick Dreamstalker
Initiate Conjurer

Tavia Summershield
Initiate Theurgist

Tara Winterbloom
Initiate Thaumaturge

Scarlet Skullhammer
Apprentice Necromancer,

and many, many more!

*(also formerly known as Laura Thunderblood, the most-inept diviner in the Spiral).

Survivor
Jul 02, 2011
I'm an older player, and have been enjoying this refreshing game. My two children like watching me play.

Fallon Stormblood lvl 30 fire school

Survivor
Jul 29, 2011
I just started a couple weeks ago after hearing (enough) that this is actually a really good and deep MMO in its own right despite the focus on kids. I've been playing these kinds of games for a long time now, but I'm sick to death of WoW and its clones and have been for a long time now. Don't know how long I'll stay but I'm having a lot of fun at the moment.

The community takes some getting used to. People can't get away with spouting profanity and insults nonstop, which a refreshing change. The chat filter is really aggressive, which can be irritating despite the fact that I totally understand why it's like that (I have open chat on but I try to stick to white words as much as possible). "Let's party!" means something totally different here :D. Pet racing is a lot of fun but the queue takes forever sometimes (I race with an Ancient pet and it's a pretty small bracket, I see the same 8 or 9 people day in, day out, dunno why it's not more popular). Lots of beggers in the F2P part of Wizard City, but every F2P is like that and they pretty much go away in other areas, etc.

Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
cdn1032 wrote:
The chat filter is really aggressive, which can be irritating despite the fact that I totally understand why it's like that (I have open chat on but I try to stick to white words as much as possible). "Let's party!" means something totally different here :D.

If I'm reading your username correctly, you're from Canada too? If so, I totally understand what you mean- I have open chat, but it drives me nuts that I have to spell in American English, just so that my friends under 18 can see what I'm saying.

I've also noticed that phrases like 'goodnight' and 'go to bed' get censored- I don't know what either of these mean to Americans, but we obviously have very-different interpretations. It's the same as how getting together is, in Canada, a totally-innocent and G-rated expression, meaning to meet up and chill with friends or family.

Back on topic: I once met someone in-game who was old enough to be my grandmother, and I got to thinking of how awesome it would be, if my grandparents played this game. :)

L.S.

Survivor
Aug 06, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Hey don't feel bad about being older and playing this game it is fun! :) Lets just say I am not a young pers and have been play almost 2 years now and love it! I have also meet alot of older people on this game and become friends, so I think this is a great game for young and older people. 8)

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
Older player here also (early 40s). I have only been playing for about 2 months and have six wizards. You can find me as:
Gilroy Griffinthistle (fire),
Abigail Winterspear (Ice),
Benjamin JadeCatcher (Life)

Appreciate any help. See ya soon!

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
I thought when I first started playing this game that I was the only older player. Nice to see I'm not the only one! :D
I got my oldest son (an adult too) and my sister playing the game now too.
Had a few "kids" in the game tell me they wished their parents and/or grandparents played as well. One asked me (in game) why I liked playing Wizard101. I told him I was letting my inner child out to play!

Cassandra Lionhunter legendary myth
Iridian Shade Legendary necromancer
Rowan Summerblossom Legendary life
Tatiana Legendary balance
Scarlet Legendary fire

I may be gray, I still play.

Survivor
Aug 13, 2011
Old people(over age of 50) need to get a life and get off of video games I know it says that it's a age policy 10 and above, but really this game is for kids.(Like me)So you oldies should get a book or watch golden girls all day.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
PrincessDaisy22 wrote:
Old people(over age of 50) need to get a life and get off of video games I know it says that it's a age policy 10 and above, but really this game is for kids.(Like me)So you oldies should get a book or watch golden girls all day.

What an unfortunate attitude! If it weren't for older people with a sense of fun no-one would heave been there for you when you insisted on playing Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and (YIKES) Hungry Hungry Hippo for HOURS ON END. As for getting a book, many of us would make that very recommendation to you, young lady.

Adherent
Feb 07, 2011
mommj wrote:
PrincessDaisy22 wrote:

What an unfortunate attitude! If it weren't for older people with a sense of fun no-one would heave been there for you when you insisted on playing Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and (YIKES) Hungry Hungry Hippo for HOURS ON END. As for getting a book, many of us would make that very recommendation to you, young lady.

I like to read books. :)

Still, it's sad that people have this attitude- it's this kind of negativity that ruins the game, and things that are supposed to be fun. Since there is no age-limit to play, I encourage everyone to ignore comments like these and just have fun- surely, this kid will understand, one day, that you're only as old as you feel.

Staying young at heart is a crucial part of living a healthy and balanced (pun intended) life. I particularly like ssss55123's answer: "I'm letting my inner child out to play". The over-50 crowd here seems to have a great attitude- don't lose that, guys! If you allow your inner child to die off, that's when grumpy, old people are born, and no one wants to be the grouchy grams (or gramps) on the block.

I'm only halfway to 50 (well, therabouts), but my mom just turned 51 and looks/acts the same as she did 20 years ago... it would be kind of depressing, if she took this young lady's advice and gave up her amazing attitude to become an old fogey. I wish she played this game, too, but it's not her thing- I'd best get to work on converting Dad, since he's likely to be a bit more receptive. :)

Happy wizarding!

L.S.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
PrincessDaisy22 wrote:

Attempted Javascript Attack With COLOR

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
I agree completely with vonawesome1 (L.S.). It is sad that there are some that don't want everyone to enjoy this game. Part of the charm of it is that it is open for all to enjoy. I know I am actively trying to get some of the guys at work into playing it. I was referred by a friend from college that I used to play D&D with back in the 1980s and 1990s. Lighten up guys, this is fun!

I hope to see some other adults in the spiral. I am now playing in Pixie realm, and could use any help in getting my characters through their quests.

Benjamin Jadecatcher level 10 and a half, Life wizard.

Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
Yes I was wondering the same thing. I am an older woman who rather enjoys playing here. I use to GM for another game some of the Devs here used to work on the game so they will understand when I say this. But there is no comparing them this hands down is more enjoyable less drama

Survivor
Aug 02, 2010
Survivor
Sep 27, 2010
yes, I am an adult player and I love the game. I have been playing about a year and a half. :D

Survivor
Apr 24, 2011
Older gamer here. My daughter was interested in the game so I set her up. Shortly thereafter she needed help on a quest or so. . .the rest is history. I definitely play more than she does at this point. I love this game!

Gabrielle Darkflame
Legendary Death/Life

Lauren Stormcaster
Legendary Fire/Death

Lauren Stormwraith
Magus Storm/Life

Defender
Sep 18, 2009
I am old enough to predate computers, and I do not agree that this game is for kids. I started playing it because I was looking for a kid safe game for my own children. And while it was intended to be kid-friendly, with chat filters, not being able to steal from other players, no free trade that drives prices out of the range of a younger players, etc, adults can also find these features attractive. Especially when they are looking for a game that is relaxing and fun, not a guild driven, elitist bloodbath.
I play this game because I find it far more mature in general than 'adult' games, and I like it. Watch Golden Girls? Ha! I don't watch TV. Read? Yeah, I do, about 120 pages per hour, so I run out of books fast and they are far more expensive at that rate than a subscription to W101 per month.
I have been playing since shortly after this games release, and in all that time, I have only had one child say that I should not be playing. Now it is 2. I assure you ,princess daisy, that you are vastly out-numbered and perhaps you are the one who needs to pursue other entertainment options if sharing this particular corner of cyber-space with mature adults offends you.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
i am not one of the older players myself, but trust me, there are plenty more people like you, if you can turn on open chat and you will find that a lot of people are older on this game.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
Yet another older player here. I too like the environment of this game as it discourages rudeness and many other unkind acts. I do know that it can't stop all things but it sure makes the game much more fun. I love playing this game. I have been playing another online game but it is no longer fun and it costs way too much money in game and out, so I have been playing on wizards101 mostly. I would rather have fun than not as I am trying to relieve stress, not create it lol. Thank you to the creators of this game as it is full of imagination and fun. However, you can always add more and please add more levels before I get to level 60 lol.

Autumn Dragon Talon level 37 Balance Wizard

Survivor
Dec 13, 2009
yet another older player, here! I started playing a few years ago, then I kind of slacked of a bit, but most of my friends in RL are gamers, and even though they aren't really interested in playing themselves, they think it's cool that I have the guts to play it at my age, and say it out loud at school!

Jasmine Bluedust, level 26 thaumaturge

Survivor
Mar 02, 2011
Older player with no kids and love this game, although the dog looks at me a sighs when I turn the computer on on the weekend (as this is the only time I have to play),

Defender
Feb 15, 2009
I'm not the oldest Wizard101 player in the world; however, I know some who are, and they seem to fully enjoy it.

Survivor
Apr 22, 2011
I'm an adult and don't laugh this is my first time playing an online game like this and I am loving it! This is so much detail in this game and it is has a very family focus sense and I am completely addicted to this game, I probably need to spend more time off the computer actually, but still love this game and recommend it to my friends

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
I am an older player as well! My kids don't play, my son plays another game and says this is game is "childish! LOL! I adore this game !