Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 04, 2009
My parents, my moms best friend and her husband play

Survivor
Apr 26, 2011
I am older if you want to call it that. I enjoy the game but find my self getting disinterested by the lack of connections i make with people. Ive been around for some odd 3 weeks now. Mostly soloing minus the times i play with a friend who dragged me here. An MMO with out others to enjoy it with is just another rpg...

My question is simply this... what is the best way to find/meet people to explore/quest with in this game? I consistently get little to no responce when i try to ask in the chats. Is there a better way?

Survivor
Feb 21, 2011
Hi Baby boomer here lvl 45 have found it a little hard playing with what seems mostly young kids that can't chat. I have meet some adults and have fun fighting and talking together. coop2005

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
v3gi wrote:
I am older if you want to call it that. I enjoy the game but find my self getting disinterested by the lack of connections i make with people. Ive been around for some odd 3 weeks now. Mostly soloing minus the times i play with a friend who dragged me here. An MMO with out others to enjoy it with is just another rpg...

My question is simply this... what is the best way to find/meet people to explore/quest with in this game? I consistently get little to no responce when i try to ask in the chats. Is there a better way?

Hi v3gi,

Some suggestions:

1) Play on Pixie realm. Many adults in the game have adopted that realm in an attempt to ameliorate such problems as you mentioned in your post.

2) Play on a normal or crowded realm at busy times. Think adult schedules, and try to play when many adults are likely to be in game.

3) Look for wizards with open chat. There will be no chat bubble next to the name of a wizard who has open chat. Since that level of communication is open to wizards 18 years and older, you will be less likely to encounter a child.

4) Play in the late evening or, if you're like me, early morning. There aren't many people in game at those times, but most will be adults.

5) GO to Wizard 101 Central or another fan site and look for other adults who play.

6) Make a page for your wizard on a certain very popular social networking site and post to the Wizard 101 and Wizard 101 Central pages to get your name out there.

I have some very good friends in game whom I have known for over a year now. We play often, help each other's noobs along, and generally enjoy good company as we work to save the Great Spiral. Take heart, when you DO find some good adult friends in the game, you will have a wonderful time playing :D

Good luck,

Iridian/Scarlet

Explorer
Jun 09, 2010
Older gamer here also, a little "over the hill" baby boomer :). Wizard101 is my first, and probably only, MMORG game to play. I started playing a year ago after my son finally talked me into trying it. I was hooked and love the game! I work from home so play at random times. If you see me in the spiral say hi!

Mary StarShade - legendary fire
Mary ThunderShade - legendary storm
Mary DragonShade - legendary death
Mary SilverSong - legendary ice
Mary StarSword - level 30 life

I'm taking all 4 legendaries through Wintertusk, mainly working on fire and storm first. I play in whatever realm is the least crowded, my computer can't handle the crowded realms. I'm always willing to help when I can so don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

Survivor
Feb 22, 2011
Me and my boyfriend are both older and we play a lot. I feel that just because you get older doesn't mean you have to act "Old" right? You can still like what you like and be an adult. What a person likes doesn't have to change with age. I like everything I liked since I was a kid myself, including collecting dolls. :3 And yet I still take on adult responsibilities.

Just know that you are not a lone. Note: Older Men play vid games all the time. But when it comes to Women, some people try to put us in a category of growing up too fast. ;)

Survivor
May 14, 2011
Unbelievable, but still 4 days to go and I am 49.
Well, it's just a number. I feel a lot younger in my heart and mind.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2009
my husband and i play with our kids and it was actually my oldest son who got me hooked...my husband laughed at me for years until he decided to try it..now he is hooked as well..love that i can play this game with my children but still go off on my own and do the harder quests.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2011
Delver
Aug 12, 2009
I turned 32 in Jan, does that make me "old"? Perhaps in the game's demographic perhaps! I didnt know that Pixie was the realm of the ancients. I almost always play in Wu after 7pm.

All I do is help people and money run as all my characters are maxed out. Give me a shout if you need any assistance!

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Survivor
May 31, 2010
Older player here, thanks for that pixie realm tip. This a delightful game that would definitely be more enjoyable with some regular players to battle with. Hope to see some of you online.

Survivor
Sep 23, 2010
Old man here, when I went to school I had to learned sand-script. my grandson and grand daughter play also and every Saturday afternoon the 3 of us play for about 3 hrs. Also just like you I left a game with way to much Drama and the Guild I was in would have a talk with you if you miss a Guild war and they kick you out when you missed a 3rd one.
But this game is really stress free with very little issues I love the game. One of the newest features is the block friend list because a lot of the time during the week I only play for an hr and not much more and I did not like being bothered by some of my low lvl friends to help them. Also most of this game your character can solo all the way to the final dungeon in Dragonspyre where you have to Battle Drake well I should say I have done the with my school of Ice GrandMaster so far, working the same with my Master of Death now almost completed MooSho. Anyway so for just rambling on.

Survivor
Sep 01, 2010
Yeah, my dad plays it, and he tells hims friends about it and they've joined too. :D I don't really think age matters at all when you're playing a game. All that matters is that you're having fun. :-)

Survivor
Apr 17, 2010
By older player here, I mean...I'm old enough to know better and young enough not to care.

But yeah, older player here.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
Well, yes indeed. Like 106 yr olds do!

Survivor
Jan 31, 2009
i dont think im older but im sure teens were just above their demographic by 1 or 2 years because of how they advertise this games and its graphics being all cartoony. If this game were darker and more realistic it would be one of the greatest games for me ever oh well, its still great.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2009
Hi, Older gamer here. Nearly 41 years old and love the game very much.

Please feel free to look me up. I am usually on Pixie realm and would love to quest with other people. Feeling a bit lonely playing solo all the time and would love some friends :)

Nicole DragonTalon Legendary Storm
Nicola PixieDust Level 51 Balance
Nicole DeathTalon Level 43 Death
Nicole LifeTalon Level 35 Life

Survivor
Feb 07, 2010
I started this game with my grandson, and now am addicted. I have met many adults as well as children from all over the world. I think I have become the Mother figure here. I teach fair play and hard work will have reaching your goals. And always be prepared, know your enemy.

Survivor
May 21, 2011
Hi I'm an older player who really enjoys this kind of game. I feel a little shy about approaching players in the game and want to team up with somebody(s) to tackle some of the harder sections. I tried to get in with some other players but they started ridiculing me because I was too slow to reply so it sort of put me off. I am a level 23 Theugist and live in New Zealand so if somebody i Australasia wants to join let me know. My game name is Wolf Darkeyes (I know!).

Survivor
May 09, 2009
Older here, that would be grandma type wizard along with my daughter, brother and two teen grandkids in tow (family account). My daughter and I love this game. Wizard 101 is my first real MMO game and I'm having a great time.

I've met some great older wizards, ladies and guys and we all have a great time. Lots of parents out here with their kids :-) and grandkids too.

Survivor
Jun 29, 2009
Me! I'm 27. My son wanted to start playing two years ago so we set up an account and then he just wanted to watch me play and then I got addicted lol. I just play on any realm, but would be nice to play w/o having someone ask if I need a guy. No thanks!

Explorer
Jul 15, 2010
Wow I had no idea there were that many "older players"

Survivor
Feb 27, 2010
I am an older gamer, both my husband and I play the game.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
tritneee wrote:
Me! I'm 27. My son wanted to start playing two years ago so we set up an account and then he just wanted to watch me play and then I got addicted lol. I just play on any realm, but would be nice to play w/o having someone ask if I need a guy. No thanks!
I could not have put it better! I wish we could sport some kind of parental badge, so we can make it through the commons without these unusual requests. If players want to level with a character of the opposite sex, or playdate, thats fine. If they want to play House, and call each other Mom, and Pop, thats fine. Personally, I just want to avoid those awkward situations when my children are playing and watching.. becuz I'm pretty sure they dont quite understand.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
Older player but always young at heart! I do play this game everyday to totally relax and have this sense of being home when I walk around Wizard City and the other worlds of the Spiral! I love to travel around the world and thanks to my laptop and WiFi services I can still play Wizard101 everywhere I go and like I said it brings me home! :D Been playing for over a year and love the new updates and constant additions! Thumbs way up KI! 8)