Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Aug 01, 2009
This game is great. I am sick of SOME kids being bad sports and name calling and wish the adults could have some sort of separation if we want. Most the complaints and rude behavior is from the kids not the adults, and I make this statement knowing it is kids not adults. I am sure some adults aren't perfect, but I am sick of being called noob by children. I play this game to relax and get away for awhile. I still would like a realm for just adults if we ever had that chance. I like the polite kids who have respect but it is sad to see how people act OVER A GAME. This game is really huge with a lot of adults. I am starting to think more adults play than kids. I also see a lot of kids not liking a certain spell in their school and expecting that KI needs to change it. KI should not change a thing unless it is truly worth changing. If anyone thinks that the school spells are unfair or if they don't like something than go make your own game the way you want. This game is huge for a reason. I hope the complaints by everyone won't change things because us that have been playing for yearS find nothing wrong with it. KI all the adults seem to love your game the way it is :) Thanks for a fabulous game..

Survivor
Oct 05, 2010
LaadyX, Honestly if i had to make a guess. 30% of players are classified as older than elementary school but younger than college. 40% of players are children. 20% Adults. 10% are 60+. I fall in to the 30% category like many of my friends at school who play this as well. These numbers may be entirely inaccurate to the actuality. However, i am basing my knowledge of the "Age Bell-Curve" on how people act in-game.

Hope this helps you,
Johnshell329

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
There probobly are many older gamers; however, most of them may not be the nerdy-34-year-old-in-his-mother's-basement kind of not stopping to eat kinda person. Those who are, who don't have jobs, kids, or LIVES outside of the game, than they shouldn't be playing this game, you know? But, on the other side, those who do have lives, kids or jobs may be eligible for the sort of gameplay that DOESN'T go on at 2 in the morning.

What I am basically saying is that as long as you and your loved ones accept who you are, than play this game. I honestly believe that kids of all ages should play this game, and adults too. This game is excellent for all ages because of the elaborately restricted chat box.

On the other hand, as far as gameplay goes, there is still some...issues. I believe the "Jump" option should be taken off. It is useless, and it really is an overall negative factor to gameplay. At some of the "house parties" I have gone to, there was some immature conduct as well as a lot of mean messages going back, and forth.

See ya round the Spiral!
Jack Dragonhunter

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
im an older gamer *raises hand*
as in pretty much just got out of the teen era
but seriously
whoever made wizard101 deserves an extra million dollars
just saying

Survivor
Jun 27, 2010
Yep yep. Mommy of two and loving the fun I get to share with them :)

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
I'm an "older" one as well. I started here a while back, to play with my son, but have been gone from the game for a while until a few days ago. I really like the safer environment provided here compared to most online games for him, and the game play itself is really fun for us both! Thanks, KI!

Jonathan Ashstaff

Survivor
Jan 17, 2011
Wow, I feel ancient compared to most of you so called older gamers. Oh, well still having fun with daughter, and a few of my friends have picked up the game. Still fairly new to the game though, don't know if any of you want to hang out with a "Noob", lol. Still on my first time through the game. Most of the older folk who play the game are way up there in level, I'm just about to hit level 30 is all. If ya see me running around let me know. Tend to hang out in Pixie realm, as it tends to be less crowded.

Robert Dragonrider lvl 29 pyro/life

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
Yep A lot

101st MESSAGE WOOT

<------

Survivor
May 04, 2010
Survivor
Jan 26, 2010
I am a mother of two my name is diana crowgiver, i play love the game wish they let us have two pet at are side at a time and increase the amount of pets we can have in are houses at one time lol .. I love making my houses a living zoo. lol 8)

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
It appears there are a LOT of older players, judging by the response to this post. My son got me started, now I have 2 wizards, both higher level than his... :)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2011
Survivor
May 22, 2009
I find it so neat at just how many of us "OLDER" players are out there :D Me and my husband both play and we always play together as a team as you get to higher places in the game it so much nicer to team up :P

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
Hi there, I am an adult.. not too old but not too young either. I think I'll just leave it at that, ha ha..

Survivor
Oct 06, 2009
[color=black I am an older player(probably older than most)and I have been playing it for over 2 years now and I just play the game for the games sake,have a little fun and kill some time.This is a fascinating game and although I have tried to get other adults involved they just wont. Oh,well it is their loss. This is a family game designed mostly for the younger generation but there is no rule that says we cant enjoy it also. I remember as a child my parents played games too. One thing I do miss though is some dialogue or communication with adults. Wish there was way to display it.

Survivor
May 23, 2010
RoloX2 wrote:
I would say that my wife and I are older than the types who use "boyfriend" and "girlfriend". :-)

I am old enough to remember Gary Gygax (I played when Advanced D&D came out).

I am old enough to remember Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari...still have my 2600).

This game has very sound fundamentals and mechanics for any age; the "wrapper" (cartoon-y look, etc.) is irrelevant in that regard. I.e. you can take the same game and stick any gory adult theme to it and you wouldn't be asking the original question.

This pyromancer no longer has his Atari 2600, but remembers the pride he felt when he took a polaroid of his max score in Starmaster to send off for the jacket patch. :) My wife got the entire family into this game, my current obssession is with the pet breeding and dueling parts of the game.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2011
I have walked this Earth for many Decades, yes more than a few less than a lot

My son got me into this game just after DC online came out ...I canceled that after I got to lvl 10 with my 1st toon in this game lol I made several but so far my fav is Tara Darkcaster lvl 42 Death/Myth, though I think I may repec to Death/Balance or Death/Life, not sure lol I may just stay like I am lol

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
Older player here also . Me and my son both play for a year now both still haven fun playing the game together and with others in the game. :)

Cheers

Survivor
Sep 14, 2010
Yup...climbing up that hill to get over it so to speak...Wolf Drakesong, lvl 26 Diviner...feel free to look me up.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2008
I am older wizard but have never felt old.

Before my car accident, I was fortunate to have worked and lived in the Far East. In Japan, Thailand, and Malaysia children would call me "Auntie" and then ask a question. If I had been male, they would have addressed me as "Uncle", as I did to a male older than me. I think it is a wonderful custom: it made me feel a part of their family (and the universal family that all of us belong to) and I felt respected. So, in Wizard101, I feel like I am an Auntie Wizard to players younger than me.

I am physically disabled with brain damage from multiple brain injuries but when playing the game, I am able to run as fast as any other wizard. I am far better at doing math "in my head" now than when I first started playing the game (in Beta). My Dr told me to play online games to make new pathways in my brain. I truly believe that I have. Because of being older and living a life with disabilities I think that I have more patience now than when I was younger. I don't mind helping others farm for a much needed item, even if it takes 20 or more battles.

When my mother died, I found out that many young wizards responded to my grief because they were still grieving the loss of their sibling or grandparent. I lack the words that would tell you how much compassion and understanding that I was given during that time. Years ago, I thought that I had realized the impact the internet had on people's lives but I was wrong. For strangers to be able to grieve together and then unite to do battles in Wizard101 was life changing, for me. I learned that I may live alone but I am not alone, on this Earth. I learned that I could stem off depression by playing the game. I learned that I can continue to live while I grieve. I don't know if I said this right but hopefully my intent is clear.

I know that there are Grandmothers living in one state playing the game with grandchildren in other states (no phone charges). I know there are Moms who, while at work, use their lunch hour to meet up with their child to play the game. I know that there are whole families who get together at holidays and discuss battling strategy. I know that there are homebound and disabled individuals playing the game and now the sun rises within their Souls every day even if they can't go outside to feel it themselves.

Age is not a number.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
Another older player here, joined as my sons asked me to and now I'm hooked too!!

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
Older player here (though my significant other sometimes say I'm such a baby :) )

This is the only online that I got hooked up with. Couldn't always wait to get off from work everyday to play it and unwind.

Survivor
Sep 12, 2010
Burpo wrote:
Older player here.

Ditto, older player here too. I love this game. While a little humdrum and full of the younger types, it's still a fun game.

Survivor
Nov 26, 2010
I am an older player. My children asked me to check the site out and I got hooked in the process. I now play more than them.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2009
kryziak4 wrote:
Another old player here :D
lol guess i ummm kinda stand out cause i am a " young player".