Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 02, 2008

To: ccourter, I too find the math to be one of my favorite things here.

To: RoyG, you should check a site, Wizard 101 Central that has adult groups just so you can play with others your age.

Oran Jade Hunter

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?
2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)
3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

1. I'm a gamer, no doubt. I've tried, hmm...probably about a dozen games in the last year and am always looking for new things. I'm a total nerd, games, music, and cool gadgets are my thing. XD

2. My brother saw a commercial for it on TV I believe. He told me about it a bit later and then I saw the commercial myself and thought it looked cool.

3. The very first game I ever played was one I found on Vox, a blogging site I used to frequent. The ad was bright and colorful, fun, happy, and I enjoyed that. So really, I think one of the best ways to get people to notice you is to put ads up online where gamers are likely to look and make them awesome but not annoying. A forum I used to go to quite a bit put up an ad for Starfy, I believe, and the thing was so freaking annoying that I swear I'll never play that game just because of it. At first, I thought I was accidentally rolling my mouse over it and activating it so I made sure to move my mouse out of the way the next time a page loaded but it STILL took over half my entire screen! Couldn't get it to close either! So yeah, PLEASE, no ads that open up onto the screen, even when you can close them, they annoy the heck out of me. x.x

RoloX2 wrote:
LaadyX wrote:
For example, another game I play has a higher average gamer age from what I've heard. It's so complicated and takes so much time that most younger gamers simply don't have the patience and some outright can't understand it.

I'm curious, what game is that?

EVE Online, assuming I'm allowed to name other games. Another site I used to visit for some other MMORPG would practically rip down your thread and shred it if you dared to even mention another game. Too bad they didn't do that with abusive threads. :D

Anyways, if you've played it, you might not find it as challenging but it's definitely got a lot going on. You pick an empire and all this stuff and then you fly around space completeing missions, PvPing (which is such a huge part of the game that escaping it requires simply not going in certain areas), and working on your skills so that you can choose a career. Some of them are simple, such as mining, while others are somewhat complicated like manufacturing (which is what i chose...might not have been the BEST idea for a nub but whatever, I can change later XD). At the current moment, I have 13 days worth of skills lined up for training and my boyfriend was like, "What...in the world...are you training for? O_O"

EmeraldCollins wrote:
I'm not a kid anymore and I really want to ask this. EO? If was I left there 2 years ago. It hasn't gotten any better since then I've heard. In fact, I logged in a month or so ago just to see if anything had changed and it hadn't. But anyway, yes I'm older.

Again, if I'm allowed to name games...Fiesta Online. It used to be fun but now that I'm level 60 (the cap is currently like 105 O_O ), I've found that there are more jerks. When you're a nub, the jerks are either just confused players or people who will quit anyways. But at level 60, they're basically there to stay and they almost never get banned. Some people claim to care and help others but when I went to one such person, I was attacked by her and her 12 years younger boyfriend. -_- I haven't been back since, some people there are nice but there are some who are twice as nasty and it makes it no fun.

Survivor
Dec 22, 2008
Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:
It was very fun to read everyone's story. If you don't mind, I would like to ask everyone a few questions --

3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

If you feel more comfortable emailing rather than posting, you can do that too. Just send your reply to community@wizard101.com.

Thank you!

1. Gamer. I even work at a game store part-time while I'm in college. I mostly play single player, turn-based, console RPGs rather than MMO's, though.

2. Actually, I play something called Vikings, Pirates, and Ninjas. I was completing offers to get cash shop credits, and registering at Wizard 101 was one of the offers.

3. Maybe advertisements on Gamefaqs.com, or a similar site. There are people of all ages that use that site. As for the commercials on Nickelodeon, maybe have them shown during the evening as well, instead of just the morning when morning. I think more families watch during that time, while eating dinner, etc.

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
I've just started playing as well...long time MMORPG player from the early days of Ultima Online, through Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest 2, and currently an end-game raider in World of Warcraft.

My 9-year-old daughter loves playing World of Warcraft (as do my 5-year-old sons) but the game is too tough for them to really experience, there's an expectation of communication that my daughter can't fulfill yet ( you need to be able to type fast to play WoW and communicate w/ people through typing) and I'm honestly uncomfortable with the open chat for a 9-year-old.

Because of those issues I'm very excited at getting into Wizard 101 with my daughter. It seems like it would have some good replayability, the purchase of content on a permanent basis makes it more of a box-game type model for those that want to go that route, and at $80 for enough crowns to open up all existing or beta content that's not a bad price for a long-term box game w/ expansions.

As for the playing I can honestly say that there's enough there that I can find it enjoyable. The meta-game of managing equipment/decks gives enough opportunity for min/max'ing to keep me engaged but the game is forgiving enough (especially if you're social and group) to keep my daughter engaged for hours. I don't have any World of Warcraft raids tonight so I'm going to take the opportunity to help my daughter out on strategic planning...a great opportunity to teach planning, math, and critical thinking skills in a fun environment!

Survivor
Feb 21, 2009
CinnamonSpider wrote:
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

1. Gamer. I even work at a game store part-time while I'm in college. I mostly play single player, turn-based, console RPGs rather than MMO's, though.

2. Actually, I play something called Vikings, Pirates, and Ninjas. I was completing offers to get cash shop credits, and registering at Wizard 101 was one of the offers.

3. Maybe advertisements on Gamefaqs.com, or a similar site. There are people of all ages that use that site. As for the commercials on Nickelodeon, maybe have them shown during the evening as well, instead of just the morning when morning. I think more families watch during that time, while eating dinner, etc.

The commercials are shown at all hours of the day.
I've seen them during the afternoon & even seen them at 2am.
The one I saw at 2am one night is when I decided to try it out.

Survivor
Dec 20, 2008
It is so good to see so many older players, I’m always telling my son that I’m just trying to help him with his quest, when reality is I love playing the game. So the bad thing is I’m playing my son’s character so when he is on-line his game play shows his age (not so much anymore, he is learning the spell combinations very well) and he plays after school - and I play when everyone is in bed - so I'm hoping my Friends and His friend’s are different do to the time we play as the same character.

However my daughter is getting a little upset – but I just can’t bring myself to play as Brittany Sunblossom. (Being a Dad, and not a mom, so I’m trying to get my wife to play – She got hooked on ToonTown, but got tired of it), thanks to everyone who has helped me out – I hope I return the favor

Andrew Lion (LV23 – Pyromancer)

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
I'm really glad to see so many older players, it makes me happy.

Olivia Nightshade
Level 17 Necromancer ^_^

Defender
May 15, 2009
LaadyX wrote:

RoloX2 wrote:

I'm curious, what game is that?

EVE Online,

I've been thinkin' of giving that a shot...I need to replace my old flight controls first.

As far as mentioning other games...some/most of the industry has figured out that people don't just buy one game of a particular genre they like and leave it at that; it's generally not either-or. If I like one good space strategy game, I'll like several good space strategy games (now someone make a suitable successor to MOO2 darnit!)

AFAIK, W101 is pretty original.

I think the original question's intent was to derive ways to advertise to older, more hardcore gamers since they have the more conventional methods (Television? I, and other gamers I know, don't watch it. Newspapers? You're kidding.) covered. Banner ads will certainly work, to a point (older gamer usually = technically savvy and has ads blocked). Wiki's ads that advertise other wiki sites are the only ones I don't have blocked; I've looked into other games because of that: if there's a community built around it, it may be worth looking into.

If I'm looking for a new game (which is quite regularly), I read gamer magazines, look at gaming sites (fileplanet/gamespy, gamershell, etc.), and Amazon.com to see what people are downloading, buying, and reviewing. And if its easy to download and fire it up--particularly on impulse--I'll not waste time debating it, I'll just give it a shot. If there are hoops to go through and the download keeps stalling, I'll assume the game's implementation is shoddy as well and won't waste my time on it.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I'm an "older" player and I don't have any kids. I love the game. I can't remember how I found it, but I'm glad I did. :D

Just 'cause we're "older" doesn't mean we're weird. LOL! Kids never grow up, they just change shape!

Defender
May 29, 2009
I am an older player with a husband and teenage son. I started playing a month ago and my family says I am addicted to the game cause I stay up all night building my characters.

I enjoy playing the game. I love the graphics, spell cards and assignment quests. Especially when everyone else is staring at your unicorn, centaur or giant minion who is helping you to get your next spell.

The battle commands and configurations are lots easier to use than in common RPG or MMO games. Makes it more fun to play for either young kids or adults who don't normally play video games and don't understand the concepts.

I love the castles and houses. I haven't seen any in the Firecat Alley or Collossus Boulevard environment though. It's so hot here that I would love for my character to live with some snowy mountains. Also think it would be great if they could actually have pets and animals that roam around on their land too.

I just wish that we could have seven characters so we could have a chance to experience them all. But if you see me or need help beating bosses or with a quest feel free to talk to me or add me as a friend. I am usually on all day on any one of my six characters:

Alura Hexcaster Magus Sorceror (balance)
Destiny Shadowwraith Adept Necromancer (death)
Tatiana Fairyglade Adept Theurgist (life)
Cori Willowhaven Joruneyman Conjurer (myth)
Sabrina Frostshard Adept Theurmatage (ice)
Briana Mooncloud Journeyman Diviner (storm)

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
dutch1146 wrote:
My wife and i recently became great-grand parents. Is that adult enough? :D She and I both play the game, have our own accounts and we bought my wife a new computer for her birthday because of W101. We are giving our mature, adult kids updated computers so we can introduce them to the game.

I would love to have a 'group' of players that are grandparents get together and help each other out. I think it would be fun. Especially when Grizzleheim comes to the live realm. They will have a much better chat section. So if any of your are game, just respond on this board and we can go from there.

I would love to meat you and your wife somewhere in the spiral. I love this game and it's getting a little boring for me at the moment.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

To1: I consider myself a gamer and spend hours gaming every day for years. Since I started Wizard 101 it is nothing for me to play 2 days straight through and love every minute of it.
To 2: I saw the TV add and just wanted to look what the game is about. Bought a subsciption on the same day, lol.
To 3: It would be nice if there was a forum section that's not open to everybody. I mean that to join this section you have to be a certain age for example. This way we could talk a little more "open" about age and meeting places in the spiral. It would be great to meet with older players to help out or just battle together for the fun of it.
I got 5 grand masters in wizard 101 and my sixth is level with my grandson because he can't read or write yet and doesn't speak english either, so I got to keep track of his quests. "We made it to Marleybone". But with the level cap and no new world it is getting boring now.

Survivor
Dec 14, 2008
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I'm an older player too, started playing last December and love the game. By now I got a Grandmaster wizard in Life, Storm/Death, Balance/Death, Death and Level 48 Fire/Death. If you need help just let me know where to meet you and btw I'm way older then you, lol

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
Well Lissi, I said older, not old.

You can still be "older" without being "old". I'm older than a 15 year old. Doesn't mean I'm necessarily old. :P

Survivor
Mar 11, 2009
Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
I too am an older player. This is the first online game for me i actually introduced my 15 year old daughter to the game and we play as a team.

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I too am an older player, I have been hooked on MMORPG's since EQ. I have been playing for about 2 weeks and have to say I am impressed and am glad that this game has come to be.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

Well, to help you out a bit here...

1) I'm an old time MMO-er. I have been playing since Ultima Online and have played many MMOs since. In that sense one could consider me a "gamer" but at the same time, when I play, I play very casually. I don't rush, take my time, like to explore, fool around, socialize, etc. I'm one of the worst levelers ever. For comparison: I played WoW since beta, and still haven't reached maximum level yet.

2) I got a tip from a forum on MMORPG.com when asking for something suitable for young kids.

3) I'd say that you guys should start investing a bit in advertising in other languages also. Not necessarily translate the game, but advertise in other countries. I'm in Italy myself and had never heard of this game.
Wouldn't it be an idea to get EBGames to sell your game? That would give a decent amount of advertisement. And mostly people like to browse a store to check out what games are available.
Just get some boxes with a nice cover and a quick start manual (the one you guys have in the help section) and put it in stores around the globe. For sure you guys would be selling more. Especially if you were to make clear that the game can be downloaded also. That way, if one kid has it, he can tell his friends they only have to go to www.... to download it.
I'd recon that this should work.

Good luck, and kudos on the great game.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2009
To Admin: Happy to respond to your questions

1. Am only a gamer because I found something that appealed to me over four years ago. I still play due to the fact that new and challenging content is constantly being added and players requests and suggestions are always taken seriously.

2. I heard about this game from my grandaughter, started it and found it to be very cute. However now that I have two grandmaster characters there is nothing more for me to accomplish.

3. Personally I hear about new games from a few dedicated gaming friends I have. News of a good game always spreads pretty quickly.

Keep up the good work!

Survivor
May 15, 2009
I am also an "older player". I started playing when my daughter did so she would have an immediate "friend" to help on some quests, and lately I think I am playing more than she is. I love the fact that this is not a fast paced game. It is nice to come home from work and sit down to a relaxing yet entertaining game. My husband doesn't say anything, but I think he is secretly wanting to play too. :-P

Survivor
Sep 15, 2008
LadyOriel wrote:

Thank you!

1.) I'm a gamer. An addict at that!
2.) My brother actually works in customer support, he showed it to me when it first released. ;)
3.) While Wizard101 is focused mainly on the younger audience, I would suggest putting advertisements out there for the middle age and older crowd as well. The Media Blitz seems to be attracting a ton of people here.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2009
Older player here as well. 27 and totally addicted to this fantastic game. I'd consider myself a casual gamer, and I initially heard about Wizard101 last year while reading gaming news on the ONRPG.com website when it was getting close to the open beta stage. I am currently at level 27 and I am enjoying my Death/Balance wizard.

Is there a certain channel that older players who have responded within this thread play on? I have done all but one quest solo, simply because I never accept friend invites, since I have no clue how old anyone is, so I was just wondering if certain age groups have a little secret society or something on a certain channel. =)

Survivor
May 26, 2008
Older player here as well. I first found this game on an mmo site i frequent to keep up with whats comming out. I got into the beta and have been hooked ever since. Before this I played a very big mmo for the past 6 years and its first version for 5. Once i turned this game on i haven't been back since. My 4 kids play as well. It's a nice quiet environment little to no drama and just plain CLEAN fun. And let's face it the price is amazing for the fun they offer. The mmo's I've played have gone upwards to 30$ a month per account! and with that you get tons of drama loads of stress and constantly ask yourself "why am I paying for this?"

Survivor
May 28, 2009