Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 28, 2010
I'm a grandpa myself :), was on fb looking for something stress free to play,saw this and tried it. Fits the bill :)

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
Hi all. Grumpy Doc again. I love the kids, and I can usually tell by the way they play. Not always. They panic when they get below 500 points and scream for help and healing. I've taken out bosses by myself with as little as 25 points to spare and used a O class hit. He he he...It ain't over till it's over. Fair warning. If you show up in my dorm room unanounced and jump all over me and the room, I will deleat you so fast your head will spin. Thank you all once again. I love this game.

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I am an older person. When I tell the kids in the game I am old enough to be their Grandpa they all laugh and say 'no way'. I have spent many years in the military and governmental agenicies for two countries. The last was in Afghanistan where we patched into our satillites to play the game.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

Bear

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
Howdy! So I started to play this a couple days ago and instantly got hooked. Mainly I think because I adore the Harry Potter books. I do see many younger people around but I have yet to find any adults playing. Is there a certain realm or place where the adults play? I would love to play with other adults,

Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
Hello :D
I have noticed a mention of the pixie realm for meeting/chatting among the older players. Where/what is it?
I am still learning my way around while I have a blast playing and helping. Oh, yes. When someone asks if I would be their mom/sis, are they asking for a mentor, so to speak?

Iridian ShadowHunter Life/Storm

Survivor
Oct 22, 2010
I Guess I'm an older player here...(I'm between 50 and 60) two kids and 3 grandkids, all of which live out of state. I've played several other online games before and as others have sais it gets old when the rudeness and KS'ing get out of hand. This game is great, I have several chars on here so shouldnt get too bored.
Look for John Frostfinder and say Hi.

Explorer
Dec 19, 2008
I am a young balance wizard (52 right now (( nov 30/10))

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
Triahna wrote:
Hello :D
I have noticed a mention of the pixie realm for meeting/chatting among the older players. Where/what is it?
I am still learning my way around while I have a blast playing and helping. Oh, yes. When someone asks if I would be their mom/sis, are they asking for a mentor, so to speak?

Iridian ShadowHunter Life/Storm

Hi Triahna: I'm an older player too.

To switch realms, press "esc" to see your options. Realms is at the right hand side of the tabs at the top of that page. Click on it and you can see all the different realms (many pages). Click on "Pixie" and then change realms.

A lot of the other realms after the first few pages aren't really busy all the time. You can also look for a "perfect" realm. Some older players like them too (not as crowded or busy).

Have fun in the game...

Amber WindBlossom

Survivor
Dec 09, 2009
Cheyenne1021 wrote:
My husband and I stated playing Wizard101 on October 22nd and we love this game! We are also grandparents & we have three grandchildren. :-)

The thing is, we would like to meet up with some more experienced players of this game because we are now up to the Celestia part of the game and we are getting slammed in battles. We would love to have someone teach us how to be more effective in using spells and explaining to us more about critical hits and such. I have looked for information about this but the little I can find doesn't explain it in a way that I really understand what they are talking about.

We don't mind loosing in a battle sometimes, since that is part of the game, but we don't like loosing ALL of the time by a large margin. We would love to have some questing friends who wouldn't mind helping us learn at the same time.

If you would be interested in teaming up with my husband and I, please let me know and we can set up a time, place and realm to meet up in. We are both level 52, GrandMaster Life Wizards.

Happy Gaming,
Rowan DragonRider

I am 30 and I love this game. My 10 year old son and I have been playing for over a Year and a half and still play all the time.

I would be more than happy to help you and your husband out with any quest or advice you need for fighting. Some tips I can give you right now are for Minion battles use smaller decks. I use a Starter Deck and or a Pinewood deck almost always. You only need a blade or 2 and a trap to kill most minions. In boss battles, since you are both life then maybe kill the minion quickly and then have one of you heal and one of you attack for the boss. It might take a little longer with only one of you attacking, but with all the great healing spells you have, you should have no problems.

Also if you have training points I highly suggest going to the sun school trainer and getting training on the damage boosts. They are crazy. You will eventually be able to get say your Seraph which has a base hit of 335 minimum doing a minimum of 560. Then you add your clothes and any blades/traps you have on and you will be shocked on the damage you can do.

If you and your husband want to meet up sometime let me know and we can set something up. :D

Daniel Shadowflame - Legendary Pyromancer
Daniel Soulthief - Master Necromancer

Survivor
May 16, 2010
I too am an "Older" player! :P I absolutely adore this game!
keep up the good work!
Alia Goldenflame-GM Balance
Destiny-GM Life

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I'm a mom of two boys, 10 and 6 years old. I'm coming up on my year anniversary in Wizard 101 :D

There are lots and lots of adult players in the game. We're usually the ones who type full words and say please and thank you... (well, most of us anyway)

We should all start face book pages for our wizards. I have a public page for my wizards where I post in-game pictures and arrange to meet my friends in the game. We chat and generally touch base outside of the game via my page.

Feel free to check it out (search for my first wizards full name in public pages).

Happy to see so many adults!

Iridian Shadowweaver, Grandmaster Theurgist
Rowan Earthsong, Grandmaster Sorceress
Scarlet Ravensong, master Pyromancer
Alexandria Dreamwalker, Adept Conjurer

Survivor
Nov 18, 2010
Yah...older player here....got my older sister playing and our much older father playing too. It's not childish, but a good escape from everyday stuff and away from the nastiness that seems to permeate other online games. It's very refreshing and a well designed game.

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
Yup, me older than dirt. I play with my two grandchildren, my son and his friends, or just solo it. It's a lot of fun but can be nerve-wracking at times (death by fizzle lol!). Great game, been playing about a year now. Tried hard core games online, but gave up on them, didn't care for PVP aspect. I guess I'm just a softy at heart, and sometimes the kids on here can be pretty funny. Yeah, sometimes you run into a few bad apples, but other kids let them know they are out of line, soon they don't have anyone to play with. They get the message sooner or later if they don't get tossed out first. So keep on playing you old timers and ENJOY! :D

Survivor
Sep 02, 2010
Grandmother here and I absolutely love this game. You don't have to attack other players and you even help others get better in the game. The first multi-player game that I really could get into.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
slewme wrote:

few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm

I just ignore those ones and eventually they start going "SAY SOMETHING!!!" It's so funny.

Survivor
Nov 23, 2010
I'm an older player than most of the young ones, but still young. MY little sister got me into it a year ago and I just brought my boyfriend into it and we both love it!

Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
i am a mom of three and i am almost 40 years old. I also enjoy the game... Minus the connection drops. i like helping noobs that have only one wizard.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
EmilieAutumn01 wrote:
i am a mom of three and i am almost 40 years old. I also enjoy the game... Minus the connection drops. i like helping noobs that have only one wizard.
I find it awesome that you used the word "noobs" haha

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

I would think because this is more of a thinking and strategic game than a little kid game and there is a lot of thought to go into it if you want to win the game.

Survivor
Nov 11, 2010
Survivor
Oct 12, 2010
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Greeting from California. I too am adult and married. I find Wizard 101 and adult game that is made KID Friendly. Once I decided to become a member, I have not regretted it. The other worlds are less crowded to be sure and there you can work on the artistry of magic and warfare; not just waving your wand for big pip spells INTENSE destruction. I for one practice battles in High realms using 5 pip spells or less when attacking. I rarely use gold cards in battle and my biggest enemy VICTORY was a 9000 boss in a solo fight when I was level 38 I believe.
You really have to orchestrate your timing as well as your spells in order to defeat such a large enemy with such small attacks; Now you see the artistry and magic that fighting here can be.
Wizard 101 can be played as simply as a checkers game yet have the complexity of a Three Dimensional chess board with all the variables available to each of us. I too have had a BALL here. SO Adults- this is OUR game that is made Kid friendly for young ones and for the youth within us all.
SMILES to ya and see you on the playing field.
Laura Night Hunter. balance is my school . thank you

Squire
Apr 18, 2010
well lets just say i have met older players in the game. how do i know? they have open chat and most o the time use proper eniglish, unlike me lol

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
few rude people but they are mainly in PvP trying to get you riled to make a mistake.
Old Folks Unite,
Angle Bane-Grandmaster Storm
Trash talking isn't for football anymore. However, children, it has never been, and never will be, in good taste. I should have called myself Ms McGonagel

Explorer
May 18, 2010
Lets just say I'm not quite an adult yet lol. But wizard101 is a family MMORPG. Anyone can play even if you're 80. People out there who disrespect adults should stop. There no difference, they just want some entertainment w/wo family :) I only have one friend who's an adult who retire from the Air Force I think. He said he meets a lot of rude peoples. He also said I'm one of his closest friend online and respects me :-). Respect others no matter what their the age is. If you wanna be my friend, my character is
Aaron ShadowEyes lvl 48 life :D
Merry Christmas to those who lives in U.S.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2009