Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 20, 2010
I am an "older" game as well. I'll admit, also being a WOW player, when I first started on this game I thought maybe I was in the minority. But I know that's not true. There is something very addicting about this game. Especially if it can cause me to neglect my WOW playing. LOL! And it has.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
21 here!
wizard101 is an amazing game and KI did an amazing job with it
i will play as long as i live!

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
I'm a 60+ retired professional, and I'm having a ball. Probably a little old to be in this venue, but I'm retired not dead

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
LittleBitLost wrote:
I'm a 60+ retired professional, and I'm having a ball. Probably a little old to be in this venue, but I'm retired not dead

Welcome, "ALittleBitLost" I am a 57 yo grandomother and there are lots of us out there. This game is tons of fun and just the right amount of challenge without stress or drama. Warning, you might get hooked.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
Survivor
Sep 05, 2010
Good morning, everyone. I am one of the older crowd. (I won't see 45 again.) I got started out of curiosity because my D&D group disbanded years ago and I miss the interaction with people. This game is great for being able to interact with others. You can meet others, help in quests or individual battles. As I am still "gainfully employed", I cannot play whenever I wish. But that is fine. I am having lots of fun helping and meeting new people.

Happy hunting and gaming, fellow wizards.

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
I won't see 60 again, but who's counting. Are there any rules of etiquette, aside from plain common sense, 8)that should be followed? I don't want to step on toes...

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
Common sense applies. I think the best thing to pass on is to ask before joining a battle. I always do unless there are three wizards with four enemies already engaged and no "group" swirl, (not sure that is the correct term).
Although not official, most adults have been hanging around on Pixie realm.
Wizard101Central is another forum where I have had many questions answered.
Grace Raincrafter, Storm Wiz

Survivor
Nov 02, 2010
I'm an "older" player, too - a parent of three kids. I have always loved arcade games and then computer games (I remember my Atari with Tank and Space Invaders! It's EXTREMELY impressive to see how far advanced game technology has gotten!). My two older kids (still elementary school aged) found this game first. I've been playing for about a week and love it! I know it's out there, but I personally haven't encountered the rudeness or immaturity yet of some of the younger gamers. In fact, one wizard level 23 was helping me yesterday with quests and learning in pvp rounds. I wondered if he was not a kid because of his game access (paid), his level, and his willingness to help me out. But then he apologized when he had to go - he said his dad was making him log off and go to bed!

I hope to continue to add friendly and responsible gamers of any age to my friend list. For anyone else who is "older" please don't feel silly or guilty. For me, playing games is great "me time" where I can take a break from the hectic lifestyle I have!

Survivor
Oct 17, 2010
older player checking in: A special thank you to the player who helped me through the death school maze last night. I never would have made it without you. (I still need the death school book) Kudos. You were fantastic.

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
zaxcdcd wrote:
LittleBitLost wrote:

Welcome, "ALittleBitLost" I am a 57 yo grandomother and there are lots of us out there. This game is tons of fun and just the right amount of challenge without stress or drama. Warning, you might get hooked.

LOL, I'm tied with ya ;) (well, maybe ONE of you anyway! LOL)

game is a hoot, ain't it?

I have a Grandmaster Life wiz :D and working on a Magus Necromancer now (which has been more fun to play)

Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
I found Wizard when I was on Facebook. Just thought i would just check it out since the first part was free. I got hooked!
I have met lots of adults while playing, and have really enjoyed the interactions! There are a lot of younger players too, some at some high levels, and I find they are usually more serious about playing. I think I have friends of all ages! Yes, I sometimes get asked if I am going out with anyone, or someone asks me to be their girl. I just respond that I am married in real life and not interested but happy to help them out. I also play to relax, and hope I don't run into drama. This is the first game like this I have ever played. I felt funny at first, but when I met other adults that disappeared. My son plays as well. So happy I found this game

Survivor
Sep 11, 2009
A player I met the other day communicated he was an adult in a really neat way. He just asked, "Do you go to school or work?"
It would be nice to be able to expand chat with your friends. It's frustrating talking about levels trying to find creative ways to say numbers.
I am Lauren Lightheart, level for ty third
and Chelsea Night Blossom, level to went ty fourth
lol :D

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I am 30 and I did a big hit on one of the boss. 15580 I think that is over kill

Defender
Jun 04, 2009
Survivor
Oct 25, 2010
I am also an older gamer and i must say this game is awesome. Playing Wow for the last 5 years and enduring rude and crude people, this game is a fresh chage of pace. I absolutely love this game, i even got my husband to play :). And I've noticed everyone here is extremely nice and helpful, keep up the good work!!!!

Survivor
Feb 05, 2010
Hi there! I'm not an older player myself but my mom is one! She is sometimes more addicted to the game then myself! I find it very nice (and almost amusing) that there are is such a large number of older players on here. Also it makes me feel better about continuing gaming when I become an adult! :D

Survivor
Jul 12, 2010
Well welcome to the club! There are many older people playing this game and having a great time. I personally am so impressed with a game that reaches to so manydiffereent age groups! My best time is playing with the kids.
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
love this game play all the time my children are all grown so you can call me wizard grandma

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
My husband and I stated playing Wizard101 on October 22nd and we love this game! We are also grandparents & we have three grandchildren. :-)

The thing is, we would like to meet up with some more experienced players of this game because we are now up to the Celestia part of the game and we are getting slammed in battles. We would love to have someone teach us how to be more effective in using spells and explaining to us more about critical hits and such. I have looked for information about this but the little I can find doesn't explain it in a way that I really understand what they are talking about.

We don't mind loosing in a battle sometimes, since that is part of the game, but we don't like loosing ALL of the time by a large margin. We would love to have some questing friends who wouldn't mind helping us learn at the same time.

If you would be interested in teaming up with my husband and I, please let me know and we can set up a time, place and realm to meet up in. We are both level 52, GrandMaster Life Wizards.

Happy Gaming,
Rowan DragonRider

Survivor
Nov 21, 2010
Hi Maadam X.

In short yes! I'm new here. While Im not a senior citizen I am certainly not that young anymore. It can be rather amusing that many folks I've casually grouped with could easily be young enough to niece or nephew without any indiscretion involved!

My first real mmorg was EVE. Once it became evident just how viscous PVP really was in EVE I played wow. That was quite fun from just before the release of burning crusade to just recently when I got board (After compelling a passel of alts and my 4th 80) and Cataclysm does not excite me.
I've pinged about a few free to play games, alloids being the most liked but they are seem too money grubbing (one needs to expand their bag and bank quite early and needs to shell out US$40 or so for the pleasure!) and a tad to close to WoW with a tad too much pvp.
When I found the game Wizards 101 I was quite surprised at the depth of strategy and pleasantness of not having to cope with trade or city chat.

Gabriel Rosethorn - Myth/life

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I am a " older" cough cough, lol, player as well. My son got me started and now I am hooked. I have since met quite a few adults on the game, and enjoy their company. Anyone interested in becoming a friend, let me know !!

Just love to play the game, have fun, and drama free xD

Jenna

Legend Death
Legend Storm
Legend Ice
Legend Fire
Almost Legend Life
Legend Myth
Just starting a Balance since only school I dont have.... lol

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
LaadyX wrote:

It doesn't matter how old you are, it just matters if you have fun. - Young kid

Explorer
Mar 18, 2009
I'm an adult and LOVE this game!!! I got my cousins and sister in law intersted and now we have our own army LOLOLOL. I love Wizard and other than my few issues with KI, I would reccomend this game for anyone.

Moira Stormgiver, Grandmaster (Lvl 55) Necromancer
Chelsea Blueblade, Master (Lvl 44) Theurgist
Alexis Ashbloom, Magus (Lvl 34) Theurgist
and
Jason Deathslinger (hubby!), Magus (Lvl 35) Sorcerer

Survivor
Nov 13, 2010
I am delighted with this game. I have my AARP card, so guess that is "older". :) My 24 year old son is playing with me on a family account.

I have played lots of hard core MMORPGs from EQ to DAoC to SWG to EQ2 to WoW to LoTRO and dabbled in many others. I love that I can just pop in here for a few minutes at a time, have fun and accomplish something.

They did a lot right in this game, getting rid of lots of the grinding stuff. There are places to walk that are safe. You can't get mobbed. You can form a group easily. You can't kill steal (or be kill stealed). It is just a great casual game with enough depth to get you hooked.

Kudos! I have enjoyed the players, although I still find the "I am looking for a boy" chat a bit weird. :)

See you in the spiral!