Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 29, 2010
My husband and I play. Lets just say he is drawing social security (not disability) and I will be within the next decade so don't worry and just have fun!

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
I'm an older player here. My kids and dh started playing together and they got me hooked. I play most evenings starting around 10pm cst. I have noticed that the best time to meet the older players is in the evening after the kiddies go to bed.

Molly Storydreamer
Lvl 31 Life
GM Death

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
1. Do you consider yourself a gamer, casual gamer, or neither?

I guess I'm a casual gamer since I'm in the forums more than I'm in the game.

2. How did you hear about Wizard101? (friend/family, TV, article, etc.)

I remember it like it was yesterday: at 1:00 in the morning, I saw a Wizard101 commercial for the millionth time, so I thought I'd give it a try. I had stopped playing Toontown a couple of months before because I found it so boring, so I didn't expect much from Wizard101. I downloaded the game and I soon as I started playing, I was hooked. I played every day for 3-4 months, and now I have 5 wizards. I can't play as much now since I'm busy with college, but I play when I can, and when Celestia comes out in the Live Realm there won't be a term paper long enough to keep me from this game.

3. If you were to give us advice on how to reach other players like yourself, how should we do it? And what should we say?

The most effective way would be to start an optional website JUST for older gamers.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2010
Older player here. All my wizards have white hair, in hopes it would be understood I am an older player, but that's not the case. :) I get "ordered" around by youngsters in battle often, but being a mother of 4 (all of which have wizards as well) I just take it in stride. :)

Survivor
Mar 22, 2009
Older player here. My husband and I play as well as my son and daughter with her fiance. My sister plays as well and she is a grandmother. To top that off my mother, until recently, loved playing the game and she was over 75. It is really nice to have a game where the whole family can come together and have a great time. Even across state lines. :)

Survivor
Oct 14, 2010
AudioIllusion wrote:
Older player here. I have all chat options off so there could be all kinds of drama and i have no clue. Love the game though.

Same here, Adult and have played games for almost 15 years. Most are serious competative games and fun but W101 is really a different game. Role playing a character in W101 has been fun for me because of a few reasons.

1. I can block most activities children abuse in-game (invites) . Thanks for making that possible!

2. Love magic in general. Being able to play a wizard and cast spells is just an awesome fantasy thing to do.

3. The animation of the game is well done.

4. The game content is fluent and not too repetative. The storyline makes sence!

Although I couldnt get any of my other adult friends into this game with me yet, I do play with my father, who is a grandfather to give you an age gestimation for me. We both love this game and are paying customers :)

I could of done without the Selena Gomez promotion, but hey, thats marketing and business.

5 stars in my book.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2009
There seems to be alot of older players I was wondering about that as well. I am a college student and my roommate was making fun of me. My little sister got me hooked. I need more friends in the game as well I am completely on my own and have got to Krokotopia with help on the death school but i need more friends! Anyone intrested in helping in krokotopia? I cannot remember my wizard name and due to the outage i cannot check... it is tavia owlthistle I think

Delver
Aug 01, 2009
I actually am trying to get an all Adult Realm on another thread- so hopefully something can happen so more adults can meet. I think an ALL KID realm, and a ALL TEEN realm would be good as well. Plus keep the other realms for open playing. So hopefully something good will happen for everyone playing :)

Delver
Aug 01, 2009
corniilius wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
I am an older person playing too. 30 to be exact- I wish there was a realm for us older people to meet each other, so that I can play with adults. Kids are cool, but some of them are not so cool- hopefully I run into some of you adults.

Many of us have unofically adopted the pixie realm. Less crowded and not as many from the "I need a boy/girl" crowd.

HAHA, awesome news, thank you SO MUCH FOR SHARING THAT- I hope to meet you there.

Survivor
May 07, 2010
I'm an older person as well as I share with my son the love of this game. It's actually helped me bond more with him.
As for our own place I'd agree with that. Some of the kids behavior is just down right rude. It would be nice to play with other adults.

Survivor
Aug 30, 2010

It seems the Need for Adult based realms Would be an awesome Addition to this game. I Like Many others, I am Nearing the half century mark and beyond. I do find it frustrating at times when Younger players come in to a battle and feel that It is Ok . And then Leave cause they realize they are out of their League or Just do it out of spite.

In the Higher Levels of Play where cooperation and Team based Play is required Not so ,much in the rules of the game but by the level of the Bosses it would be nice to be able to Play with those that are considerate of those around them and are not in the ME ME ME ME ME phase of their Life

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
I saw this post while waiting for Celestia updates to download. I'm another married gal but it wasn't my Pre-K son that got me into this but rather just being a hard core gamer that doesn't have time anymore for "hard core" raiding, etc. Plus there isn't anything good out anyway, so this is refreshing.

Look up Alura Sunflame and add me as a friend. Would love to have more adults to play with and talk to :)

PS. - It really WOULD be nice to have an adult realm for us adults with the restrictions taken OFF chat so we can speak normally!!!!!

Survivor
Jun 27, 2010
Hi

Another older player here....in 40's to be more specific. I agree with a realm for adults. Constantly asked to purchase items for kids. Hope to see some of you adults soon!

Cheyenne Rainriver Level 50

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
tensha wrote:
Look up Alura Sunflame and add me as a friend. Would love to have more adults to play with and talk to :)

PS. - It really WOULD be nice to have an adult realm for us adults with the restrictions taken OFF chat so we can speak normally!!!!!

I'm pushing Social Security age too. Grampa of 9. I must say, not only do I love the tongue-in-cheek humor the designers have in place (Sherlock "Bones" etc), but I think that KI has done a fabulous job of getting the 'balance' of the game RIGHT! It's always enjoyable!

Personally I enjoy rubbing shoulders with the younger crowds at times, I've learned a lot of "tricks/techniques" from them in the game. Their outlook helps keep the game fresh :) I often wonder how many references from 30 years ago go over their heads? I know I've seen at least a few references to Monty Python ;) lol.

I agree, it would be a nice feature to have an 'adults realm' tho.

Richard LifeVault (Life lvl 47)

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
corniilius wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
I am an older person playing too. 30 to be exact- I wish there was a realm for us older people to meet each other, so that I can play with adults. Kids are cool, but some of them are not so cool- hopefully I run into some of you adults.

Many of us have unofically adopted the pixie realm. Less crowded and not as many from the "I need a boy/girl" crowd.

Thanks for the Pixie Realm info i will check it out. I am older player to and the i need boy / girl thing idk LOL Hello older ones, real nice to know you're here. I've been told I'm to old to be here. :( thanks, maybe I'm not. :)
Rylee DreamFinder, level 41

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
tensha wrote:
I saw this post while waiting for Celestia updates to download. I'm another married gal but it wasn't my Pre-K son that got me into this but rather just being a hard core gamer that doesn't have time anymore for "hard core" raiding, etc. Plus there isn't anything good out anyway, so this is refreshing.

that would be great.
i'm older, also someone do that create a place for us. lol I would but i barely type, lol Rylee DreamFinder level 41

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
HarleyGoat wrote:
tensha wrote:

I'm pushing Social Security age too. Grampa of 9. I must say, not only do I love the tongue-in-cheek humor the designers have in place (Sherlock "Bones" etc), but I think that KI has done a fabulous job of getting the 'balance' of the game RIGHT! It's always enjoyable!

Personally I enjoy rubbing shoulders with the younger crowds at times, I've learned a lot of "tricks/techniques" from them in the game. Their outlook helps keep the game fresh :) I often wonder how many references from 30 years ago go over their heads? I know I've seen at least a few references to Monty Python ;) lol.

I agree, it would be a nice feature to have an 'adults realm' tho.

Richard LifeVault (Life lvl 47)

i love the kids too, most have been very nice and helpful. A few have not. I have become the w101 Mom of a few. there are times when i wish i could turn off their requests though. Trying to level and do my own quests it can get very dustracting having my chat constanting going with HELP or PORT or HURRY lol and there's the GIFT ME one LOL. I live on a budget just like most but i feel bad saying no. Same with friend requests and help requests. Which I don't mind but i want to get to Grand too LOL. Thanks for beinh here "Older Players" :) :) Rylee DreamFinder

Survivor
Apr 26, 2010
qujpegh117 wrote:
Lets just say I been a ol' grey beard for a long time now,and have been beta testing for a bit now am disabled. I was ask to Beta test this game,and well i passed now i wish i Hadnt.I agree this game has something that works for all ages,cource I have always been a big kid at heart.I reallyt liked watching Yugioh (not sure spelling) and when i was driving across country found the harry potter boooks on tape were excelent way to pass the miles.This game mixes both together and to top it off is free. I dont have a group to run with and this makes grouping easier now i just have to find right way to go liked necro but now saw a hiyer lvl pyro and he was awsome, so gonna start over think 2nd will be life to help others to, hope it works out well. I like this game alot if i had anyfriends i tell em to join me HAHA!!

I agree love the game. I am completely addicted. An older friend told me about this area of older adults. I have a question though, is there a way of looking up wizards? Like a phone book? Other than just running into ramdomly? Thanks, Rylee DreamFinder

Survivor
Sep 10, 2010
clemmcgirt1686 wrote:
Trying to level and do my own quests it can get very dustracting having my chat constanting going with HELP or PORT or HURRY lol and there's the GIFT ME one LOL. I live on a budget just like most but i feel bad saying no. Same with friend requests and help requests. Which I don't mind but i want to get to Grand too LOL. Thanks for beinh here "Older Players" :) :) Rylee DreamFinder

lol ... ain't it the truth? :D I had that happen with one particular young man (who shall remain nameless) He wanted me to tag along thru (seemingly) endless quests in Mooshu to keep him alive (I admit, being a Life wizard, I do feel a little bit like a 'medic' LOL).

But I feel your pain ;) Kinda hard to get-on with your own goals when you find yourself constantly rushing back to help! :) I finally got too frustrated and hit "ignore" :( And I felt bad for doing so ... it was always "just one more fight!" All you can do is grin & bear it I suppose ;)

But I also confess, I DO enjoy being a 'helper' to newer players. I guess that is one thing that makes the game so enjoyable? You really feel like you made a difference at times! (Especially in "The Vault" Nidvallier) ;) I've even spent my crowns at times to hire Henchmen to help complete strangers ... how bizarre is that behavior??? LOL

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
I'm also older, a parent of 2 little kids myself. I usually play another MMORP with my hubby but thats a game for us when the kids are asleep, and now Wizard101 is a game for me while the kids are playing or napping.

Survivor
Jun 19, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)
I am older and I know what your saying, some of the kids are so rude you just have to call them on it sometimes and report when you need to. I play with many older people we have a blast...

Survivor
Oct 18, 2010

Hi,
I'm new to the game and I'm an older player.
The rest of my family play the other games such as WoW, eq2, Eve. I thought I was just bored with them but after playing this I've come to realize I didn't care for all the drama and rudeness that they involved.
Is there a realm that older players play in more than others?
Would love to play with y'all. :D

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
i kinda agree. there are many people who are just jerks. there should be an update that lets you place a MB officer that only you can see, and records all that happens. The other day for instance, i was being criticized because i didn't kill the monster. people say ' THIS IS MY REALM GET OUT OR I WILL REPORT YOU' it just gets on my nerves. that would be an awesome update :D :D think about adding it plz. anyone else agree??? and some are adults (thats why i said it here)

Survivor
Aug 25, 2009
Survivor
Sep 04, 2010
I'm in an older player, too. I didn't realize how many of them there were until i saw this thread. I started playing with my nephew who lives with me. He kept on saying "You have to try it! Just once!" And what do you know I liked it a lot more than the other games.

I was feeling kinda bad about it at first because it seemed that it was only little kids saying things like "I need a girl". Then after I became a member and went to the pay areas I saw older gamers now but I'm glad I found this thread.

Is there or could there be a chat room or something for older gamers? It would be nice to be able to play with gamers that are nearer my age and less likely to ask what grade I'm in. Cause that was a loooooong time ago.