Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 20, 2008
I am 39 and I play the game also. My 2 children started me out but they no longer play lol. I still pay for their accounts and have added more characters and now have many high level wizzards. I frequently do 2v2 and 3v3 using all 3 accounts.

Pagie Pixiepants:myth(22)
Blaze Wintersword:balance(50)
Sophia Wildpants:ice(49)
Mindy Mistmancer:myth(11)
Kymma Dune:life(43)
Tara Taletail:myth(20)
Sophia Skyhaven:balance(43)
Sophia Firepyre:fire(50)
Sophia Dune:death(43)
Sophia Greenblossom:life(48)
Sophia Starsong:myth(49)
Anthony Seahammer:myth(50)
Sophia Dune:storm(22)
Calamity Dune:balance(43)
Heather Emerald:life(24)
Destiny Hawkshard:life(49)

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
Heh My girlfriend and I just started playing we are both older though not quite that old, I still play another MMO but wanted to play something that we could do together, turns out shes hooked! Just upgraded our accounts to sub and got My roommate (who is also addicted to another MMO) to start playing. Anyways Cheers Hope ta see you around the Spiral!

Survivor
Feb 04, 2010
Are there any older players? Well, let us say in years, I am a Grand Master! I was told by my doctor to find a game to play to relax and help with thought, hand and eye coordination and Wizard 101 was just what the doctor ordered!

I want to add that many of the younger players love it when they find I am so old and think it is cool, allowing me to help encourage them to be team players and helpful to others instead of using cheat codes, being rude or grand standing.

I wish there was a way for some of the more mature players to have a job with the game company to be Spiral Guardinas that not only can help and encourage the players, but also keep an eye open for those bad eggs that seem to hatch all over. I would be the first to join such a program for sure!

"Nathaniel" of many schools.

Survivor
Nov 21, 2008
WELLLLLL!!!!!! I guess I have to add myself to that "OOOOLLDERRRR" bunch hehehe...Geeze how does one put this and not get to blushin ...my GRANDDAUGHTER got me to playing this.. and umm she is lets see here ummm shes elementary school cheerleader does that give anything away..Oh what the heck im in my 50's and have three grandbabies and dearly love this game hehehe

Survivor
Jun 01, 2010
Dagar wrote:
Know that old tree in Ravenwood? Well hes got nothing on me age wise :-p Games are played to have fun, age does not factor into it :)

That made me laugh.

I've been playing World of Warcraft regularly since October 2007. Lately, it's just become more of a job than a fun game. I don't like that. I am a 33 year old, full-time working single mother of a 6 year old boy....I really don't need another online job. I saw an ad for W101 through a website and my 6 year old wanted to play, but I was the one who got hooked. My son can't stay still for longer than 10 minutes...let alone stay interested in a game.

I've always been a gamer. I always will be, even though my own mother says online games of this type and like WoW are from the devil.... :P

Survivor
May 14, 2010
My husband and I play with our 6 year old. She plays on one computer with him and I play on another at the same time. She enjoys that we can roam together and wear pretty cloaks. We have been playing for 4 weeks now and are having a great time!
I did wonder if we were the only "older" players.

Shelby Silvershade :-)

Survivor
Nov 21, 2008
amorain wrote:
Dagar wrote:
Know that old tree in Ravenwood? Well hes got nothing on me age wise :-p Games are played to have fun, age does not factor into it :)

That made me laugh.

I've been playing World of Warcraft regularly since October 2007. Lately, it's just become more of a job than a fun game. I don't like that. I am a 33 year old, full-time working single mother of a 6 year old boy....I really don't need another online job. I saw an ad for W101 through a website and my 6 year old wanted to play, but I was the one who got hooked. My son can't stay still for longer than 10 minutes...let alone stay interested in a game.

I've always been a gamer. I always will be, even though my own mother says online games of this type and like WoW are from the devil.... :P

OH my GOSH my dad says the same thing. Those computers are of the devils work. Dang small world sometimes

Survivor
Jun 09, 2010
I'm a grandma and I love to play games. I just started W101 and am having fun, although I'm having some trouble figuring out how to use the treasure cards. A bit frustrating, but I'll get it eventually.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
I'm a mom of a 4 year old son and I play and love it. Not to mention my mother and aunt play too lol.

Explorer
Feb 18, 2010
zezus998, why don't you ask your parents for their advice on parts of the game? like solving the logic problems in krokotopia(even if you did already beat it). that might peak their interest in the game. That's how I started playing. My daughter kept asking for help so I decided to create my own wizard. In the game I am Michael Raven Heart Death Wizard Level 36. We will probably be in GH today.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2010
This game is a family game. I recomend this game for all ages. This game can really expire you to go out and be positive, and be your self. If your older and you play this game its so normal. Lets just say that i am in the middle teen years and i play this game. My step dad plays this game,so what i am getting at here is if you like somthing and you enjoy it just go out and do it. Be your self and dont let any one tell you what you can or cant do. Its your life and you deside how you live it.

Survivor
May 28, 2009
I am an adult, started playing with my daughter but got hooked. My husband also thinks I'm silly. I don't care, it's a great game. My main character is Hannah Firesinger (fire) level 50. However I have other lower level ones I'm working on. :D

Delver
Apr 10, 2010
Well, you have another older player here. I'm a grandmother and I became addicted to this game from the start.
My husband and I were Dungeons & Dragons players a long time ago. The origional D & D. So I've enjoyed games like this for a long time.

All I can say is KI keep up the good work!

Cassandra Lionhunter Myth
Rowan Summerblossom Life

Survivor
Feb 05, 2009
I am a old gamer and i try to get wizard 101 to work with Linux
I am 30 and from the states. so if there is any one that is useing linux to play let me know plaese

Survivor
Jun 03, 2010
I'm an "older player", still getting used to the game. I started because of my step son and because I was looking for a free MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game ). I wonder if I can ask for questing buddies? lol, Or how would I give information to meet in game without breaking the rules. There needs to be an easier way to meet up and make buddies and play. I'm having trouble finding friendly help, being an "older" player I don’t want to seem weird. I'm just a gamer so i understand how the gaming community is judged and looked at. This game is M:TG (Magic The Gathering) Meets a family friendly MMORPG and I enjoy it despite the cartoon like graphics which look awesome on my laptop on full settings. I don’t understand the comparison to WOW, well it’s similar on the game genre level. Just two vastly different worlds … :D

Survivor
Jan 01, 2010
I am 30 years young. I use to be one of the main news writers for the site "www.mmorpg.com" a few years back, so my MMO game history is massive.

Started back in 1995 with the Alpha test of Ultima Online. I find this game very fun, but it troubles me the amount of bugs and "primer" things you can't do/get becaues of the micro-transactions.

Nonetheless, I thought a month would give me enough time to see if this is worth playing. My name is "Matther WinterShade" and I'm a level 11 ice/life mage.

I've been playing for only a few days and love it. Luckly it plays on my laptop, so this is simply amazing for what it offers. I have also found some game crippling bugs like the guy in Ravenwood, "Cryus Drake"... he's an older guy and wears yellow.

The arrow tells me to go to a tree and enter, but when I enter the tree, he's neither inside or outside and I seem to be running out of quest to do in the first two areas of the game.

Survivor
May 31, 2010
people at my school say its kidish. but i just keep quiet. Im an older gamer and i think people should be able to play whatever they want no matter the age.

Survivor
May 05, 2010
I'm 29 today and love this game. I've been a hardcore MMO player since 1995 (I was also in Ultima Online Alpha). I've played numerous MMOs for many years (UO, SWG, WoW, EVE, PotBS, and others) and tried out numeroud ones but left them (DDO, Tabula Rasa, EQ, EQII, and about 100 others).

I love Wiz101. I also agree that I wish there was another higher up role that us "elders" could fulfill in the game. Whether it be forum police, Elder Wizards that could assist questions in game and keep an eye on others, or school elders who assist the Masters in teaching and helping younger students practice and learn.

I'm looking forward to the expansion and will eagerly be waiting to play it (I'm in Europe from early July til mid August...so will most likely miss the first few weeks). If anyone wants to add me as a friend in game...let me know!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2008
I started out I think during beta days at the end, then I got my dad hooked and now he plays more than me. LOL

Survivor
Sep 24, 2008
My boy who was preteen at the time, started out in beta and I joined soon after opening to keep an eye on him. Now he rarely plays and I play waaaayyyy too much according to him. LOL

Defender
Apr 02, 2009
Ya, I ain't a little kid anymore either. None of my friends play anymore but they're fine with me playing, considering I only play when I'm bored.

Explorer
Jan 11, 2010
I am a older adult player and have two grandmasters and working on another.
I actually started playing the game with my grandson awhile back. The game also makes for great presents for his b-day and such, as I give him crowns,
dragons, pets, ect. he may want. So he always gets the gift he wants and appreciates :D I find it a very safe game for him, and have him on my true friend list, so I always know where he is.
KI did a great job on this game.

Grandmaster Grandma :D

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
i'm an older player, too. no problems. i've told kids I'm a grown up and they're cool with it. If not, they de-friend you! :-)

Delver
Apr 02, 2010
Older player with kids here too and they play it too.

Love the game.

Don't know if others notice it, but its a combination of near-real-time and turn-based gaming during battles. The turn-based battles keep it fair for people on slower Internet connections.

About the only real complaint I have is when I found out that Niles on Krokotopia has (element, spirit), (blades, traps) that can be bought as soon as you are of sufficient level, you do not have a train all the previous Balance spells, and you do not have to be in Balance school either. To take advantage of these cards I wanted to redo the training points, I had to spend Crowns - seems like gold should be an option too. Also related to those cards is that (myth, life, death) and (ice, fire, storm) are grouped, you really want to pick your second schools in the same group to fully take advantage of those cards.

For those new wizards who can't reach Krokoshpinx on Krokotopia, a spirit blade is 1 pip, gives one Myth, one Death, and one Life Blade each for +35% damage, and they add onto existing or future Blade spells of your school. The other three cards are similar, the traps are I think +30% damage. The key point is to take advantage of it, if you are in one of (Death, Life, Myth) make your secondary school one of them, and if you are in (Ice, Fire, Storm), make your secondary school one of them. If you are Balance, I believe you can take advantage of the cards in other ways but a Balance wizard should know better than me.

So say you are in Death, you could cast wand card (0 pip), spirit blade (1 pip), death blade (0 pip). Now you have a boost of +40% and +35% for a death spell. Maybe you got a power pip too, you can now cast Vampire or Pirate. Then on another turn cast a Leprechaun or Troll or Cyclops and get +35% on that. Or say do humongous frog and get +35%. Rarely can you consume all three blades in a battle, but every bit helps!

Another stinker is there is no three pip attack card for Life as a secondary school. You can get Spirit Armor @ 3 pips and that one pip sprite healing card, but they can't be used with the blade. You have to wait until Seraph at 4 pips.

Also I believe there is no card in the Fire school that is available as a secondary school, attack, two pips, and all damage in that round. Fire Elf spreads the damage over multiple rounds, so the blade is mostly wasted. There is Sunbird though if you can wait for three white pips or Meteor Strike for four white pips.

Survivor
Jan 23, 2010
dutch1146 wrote:
My wife and i recently became great-grand parents. Is that adult enough? :D She and I both play the game, have our own accounts and we bought my wife a new computer for her birthday because of W101. We are giving our mature, adult kids updated computers so we can introduce them to the game.

I would love to have a 'group' of players that are grandparents get together and help each other out. I think it would be fun. Especially when Grizzleheim comes to the live realm. They will have a much better chat section. So if any of your are game, just respond on this board and we can go from there.

Hi I am game! Grandma here Don't know how this Forum thing works but would be great to have a grandparents group. So, let me know if anything becomes of this. Thanks