Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Are there many older gamers playing W101?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 06, 2010
I just started playing, and I'm a college student on my way to getting a teaching degree. I'm an avid gamer and play many games more mature than this, but this game is so simple, colorful, and stress free that I keep finding myself coming back to it. Plus it's the closest I can get to an MMO of a certain wizard related book series starring a bespectacled boy with a scar on his head. :p

Historian
May 15, 2009
I'm am older player, i got a sis who is a few years old (no nieces or nephews yet :P ) but not too old to not love this game
this game when i first saw it thought it might be boring, i played beta when it came out and i was instantly hooked, i played beta up until it released officially and still player today
i have
1 grandmaster of death
1 grandmaster of storm
1 master of balance
1 novice theurgist
1 magus conjurer

i LOVE to play all of them
my cousin is also a huge fan as is my girlfriend
i am glad i found a game where i can have fun and not worry about players cursing being insanely rude and just being all out obnoxious
even though there ARE players who act this way i thank god there are not too many in the realms i stay in. i always try and break up fights when arguments break out, but just end up gettings yelled at by the offender and end up having to report said offender and in return are reported right back by same player for 'false report' but that is a matter for another time and thread

my point is that i hope KI will be around with wizard101 for a LONG time because as far as i am concerned this gets a 10 out of 10
other MMORPG's like WoW or runescape, pirates of the carribean, and all those other More 15+ age group MMORPG's just are not my cup of tea after i discovered this game,
i quit WoW after corrupted blood incident even though many like it i got tired of repawning only to die again when the plague spread even further by players who thought it funny to spread it, i tried again after they fixed it but i had already began player wizard101 and frankly WoW didn't appeal to me anymore
so my word is
congrats KI you have made one of the most popular kids MMORPG games in the world
after a couple years i am SURE WoW will have gone down the drain, but not wizard101
every day it gets thousands of new players eager to have fun, it will soon fly by WoW as if it didn't exist

Survivor
Oct 06, 2009
I tend to think that even though this is a family game and I assume that it is primarily for younger audiences that there are many more adults than what we think. I'm old enough to be a grand father to a lot of these kids and intermingling with them is sometimes a joy it is quite refreshing to associate with another adult. There was nothing like on-line games when I was their age so for me even at my age it is an experience. I'm on my third wizard and will probably do the max. Sometimes,I hate to admit,I actually learn something from these comp geniuses.But on the other side I thoroughly enjoy kicking their little butts in pvp. As a way of a reminder to them adults still rule.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2010
Survivor
May 18, 2010
Ok lets just say Lyndon Johnson was president when I was born! I like this game but get a bit frustrated with the chat function. I'm all for filters etc, just wish I could figure out how to say what I want other than the templates.

I'm old school Everquest and WoW so it seems familiar in a way. But I'm having fun so it's all good!

Survivor
May 10, 2010
Definitely not alone. I'm 34 and have a young son who loves to sit and watch me play Wizard101. If I'm still playing when he gets a little older, I'll definitely let him give it a try! :) Part of W101's appeal to me is that it is so open and friendly to players of all ages. I don't feel "too old" for the game at all.

Survivor
Apr 02, 2010
Hello Wizards of all ages!

I have been playing games for a while and this is definitely one of my favorites if is not actually the best I have played in a long time.

I am old as Sierra and Lucas first role playing games arrived for the pc market when 8mhz computers were the coolest! And CGA 4 color monitors were also amazing. And of course I knew and played with ATARI, amazing console that was.

HEHE!... I love playing this game because is secure, and there is a language usage control that definitely makes it for all ages. Is fun, is different and regarding the cartoonish graphics is very mature.

I have friends of all ages, love to help them in fights and quest. And not need to know who they are and their age makes it better.

Let's just play for the fun of it.

Thank you for this amazing chance of unifying all ages in one place, respectfully :D

Survivor
Jan 17, 2010
milions of adults are playing a silly game called farm ville lol

so i dont see reason why not to play this cool game...im adult too ...i had enough of zombies,shooting etc, this game is really realxing and interesting though

Survivor
Feb 16, 2010
there are around loads of older people playing my random guess would be 1000+ around, 30 of my friends are older so i can defintly a sure you that there are loads of older people that play this game.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2010
Yep I'm an older gamer.

I'm Neela Misthaven in game. I'm a Magus Theurgist (current title is Elemental Dispeller). If you see me in game don't be afraid to friend me. I have open chat as well.

Also if you do decide to friend me, remind me that you saw my post here before you friend me. I generally decline friendships except to people I've fought battles with or against and enjoyed their conversations. Most people who try to friend me are generally much lower levels or people who constantly chase me around asking: Can you gift me mount? Can you gift me coins? Can you gift me this? Can you gift me that? *shudder*

Anyway, yeah. Hope to see you all around! :D

And I completely agree about the stress comment. I love W101 for the very reason that it's so unstressful. :)

Survivor
Feb 24, 2009
I am an older mom who plays. I got game for son about 1-2 years ago and got hooked myself.

Survivor
May 20, 2010
Im am older player and I am really enjoying the game. I've introduced my daughter to it and see seems to like it as well. Hopefully this will work out as an activity we can enjoy together.

Defender
Mar 13, 2010

I enjoy this game and I am an ex-Everquest player. I like this game because I can play by myself when needed and there is no need to get into guild raids in order to have better equipment.

I am a grandma myself. :) My son plays as well as one of my granddaughters. :)

Survivor
Sep 04, 2009
So glad to see some older players out there! I started playing when I was checking it out for my son. It is so much fun and I havent run into the negativity I've seen on some other games. The players I've met so far have all been polite and helpful. I'm excited to see the new stuff today :)

Defender
Feb 09, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

daughter got me playing in february last year, been playing ever since, she gave up on it, likes penguin club better. 2 grandkids play as well, but they just play the mana games.
there is an ignore feature if someone gets in your face and spams you. you won't hear them spamming/yelling.
i have 7 grandmasters and another on the way. celestia is coming, the pets are here, grizzlehiem is waiting to be beaten. so there is a lot to do. after grandmaster level is reached, you can go out and rescue other wizards and get stuff to sell or decorate a house.

Survivor
Aug 17, 2009
Yep! My daughter went to visit her cousin last summer. She came home telling me about this "cool" new game. We both started playing and I am totally hooked! She has since moved on to Free Realms, and sometimes comes back to Wizards. I have loads of adult friends who play online late at night....LOL We enjoy the company and have loads of fun

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
:D i am an"older" player and after helping out kids for months i found other adults and we have an absolute blast 8) don't be embarassed to have fun :-).This is an awesome game and a great atmosphere !

Survivor
May 23, 2010
I'm not exactly older as from what I can tell from the "older" players but i'm definitely not middle or highschool anymore. I've talked with a bunch of people but I always come across the kids lol its rather funny

Survivor
Mar 27, 2010
Hey

I'm a bit older, not exactly as experienced at life as some of you. Think pimples and arrogance. Yeah, you know how old i am

I'm not a hardcore gamer, the only other MMO i've played is DDO. I kinda heard about Wiz101 off a Faceboook ad, and, being bored, clicked on it, expecting one of those RUnescape knock offs, downloaded just to flaunt my abiilty to manuver around the firewall, and was stunned by the amazing graphics- at 800 x 600, and the fact that the free-player version was so extensive. Wiz101 is kinda my stress reliever, coming home exhausted from fencing or riding the ambulance to put down the overpopulatioin ofmobs. After lvling past what should be the lvl cap for freebies, i just got my membership today, and this is my firrst post.

The best thing about WIz 101 is the whole carelessness someone can go around the game with. Like, i can let Lady Nighthope work me down to 2 healthpoints while i play around with Animate, and not worry about losing the crowns item i looted off Lord Nightshade. That's what's so great about Wizard101, the whole "have fun not loot run" thing, and the whole kid-ness thing.

My advice for Kingsisle- work the whole Harry Potter deal AMAP (as much as possible), and for ads, show the whole "powerful spell" deal. Like, i'll be zipping around Facebook, and i see Humongofrog strutting his stuff in Triton Avenue, and i'll get the itch to leave my report on 1984 to go make scarlet screamers scream in Wiz101.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2009
LaadyX wrote:
I just started playing this game a few days ago and I must say, I was rather impressed. I just got the feeling that whoever was behind its creation had taken great care when working it.

I'm feeling sort of bad at the moment, though. Since we're not allowed to post ages, let's just say I'm not a little kid anymore. I asked my boyfriend if he thought I was being too kiddish and he said "a little" but that it was no big deal and that he wanted me to have fun and not have to worry about drama. Because before I started playing W101, I played another online game that has been full of drama lately. People are constantly KSing you (kill stealing which is where you purposely run off and attack something someone else is already working on killing which can mean them losing credit for the kill in the end) , even higher levels (we're talking people in their's 80's and 90's, it's nuts), and you're always getting called names and people can just be really rude in-game. Unfortunately, the reporting system is more complicated than it should be and the reports seem to be largely ignored and the rules are almost never enforced unless one involving money is broken. It's stressful and games weren't meant to be stressful, they were meant to be fun and help relieve stress.

I like this environment but I guess I'm just wondering how normal it is to be playing this game as an older individual. Please don't post any ages though as it would seem that is not allowed. :)

The game you are talking about sounds like WoW, which I did not like that game at all or any other game like it because people are so negative on their for no reason. It's a lot worse on X Box Live people try to do things to your systems just cause they are bored. :?

Survivor
Aug 21, 2008
I have been playing this game since July 2008! Played 2 month in Beta and then ever since game relased on live.
Moved from toontown to Wizard101. Awesome game, just need more content!

Survivor
Apr 20, 2010
you are so not the only adult player. i started playing when my husband sent a friend code to my email on a whim. we play w101 together and apart. it really depends on how stuck we are lol. oh and on a side note we have 3 kids NONE of whom play. its like date time . we get to spend time together without the girls AND get to beat the tar out of little obnoxious pvps. ITS WIN WIN BABY!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Lol, I feel so much better now! I'm definitely a mature adult, and I started playing with my sons. Now I'm a grandmaster and both boys are doing other things. I'm working on my second wizard, too. This game is great fun!

Thx,, Kings Isle, for making such an enticing game world!

Nice to meet some other adults, too

Survivor
Sep 30, 2008
im and older gamer ... lol i have been playing video games since the atairi put out the pong and anybody who knows what year that came out can certainly tell my age...this is the best online game i have ever played. sure there are a few rotten apples in it but i usually ignore those things...and i don't put kids on my friends list unless they are related..you don't get into trouble that way..one kid threatened to report me because i wouldn't tell him how many crowns i had ....lol i just overlooked that slight and reported him for harressment instead there are some really young bullies out there ...lol
but i survive...thanks KI for inventing this wonderful game. ...and i know you cant please everybody all the time.....later oldies but goodies...lol

Survivor
May 01, 2010
I started playing last month :) I also just turned 31 years old :D.... My son wants to play and I wont let him cause I am kinda addicted to the game hehe. So I went out and got another computer instead for him and my wife to play (oh yes my wife plays everyday, but I play everyday/night after work ;-P).

P.S: At 50 - 70 I should be an old gamer still hehe